|2 Kings 4 - Versions
|2 Kings 4 Text (WEB)
- Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets to Elisha, saying, "Your servant my husband is dead. You know that your servant feared Yahweh. Now the creditor has come to take for himself my two children to be slaves."
- Elisha said to her, "What shall I do for you? Tell me: what do you have in the house?" She said, "Your handmaid has nothing in the house, except a pot of oil."
- Then he said, "Go, borrow containers from of all your neighbors, even empty containers. Don't borrow just a few.
- You shall go in, and shut the door on you and on your sons, and pour out into all those containers; and you shall set aside that which is full."
- So she went from him, and shut the door on her and on her sons; they brought the containers to her, and she poured out.
- It happened, when the containers were full, that she said to her son, "Bring me another container." He said to her, "There isn't another container." The oil stopped flowing.
- Then she came and told the man of God. He said, "Go, sell the oil, and pay your debt; and you and your sons live on the rest."
- It fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where there was a prominent woman; and she persuaded him to eat bread. So it was, that as often as he passed by, he turned in there to eat bread.
- She said to her husband, "See now, I perceive that this is a holy man of God, that passes by us continually.
- Please let us make a little room on the wall. Let us set for him there a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp stand. It shall be, when he comes to us, that he shall turn in there."
- One day he came there, and he turned into the room and lay there.
- He said to Gehazi his servant, "Call this Shunammite." When he had called her, she stood before him.
- He said to him, "Say now to her, 'Behold, you have cared for us with all this care. What is to be done for you? Would you like to be spoken for to the king, or to the captain of the army?'" She answered, "I dwell among my own people."
- He said, "What then is to be done for her?" Gehazi answered, "Most certainly she has no son, and her husband is old."
- He said, "Call her." When he had called her, she stood in the door.
- He said, "At this season, when the time comes around, you will embrace a son." She said, "No, my lord, you man of God, do not lie to your handmaid."
- The woman conceived, and bore a son at that season, when the time came around, as Elisha had said to her.
- When the child was grown, it happened one day that he went out to his father to the reapers.
- He said to his father, "My head! My head!" He said to his servant, "Carry him to his mother."
- When he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees until noon, and then died.
- She went up and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door on him, and went out.
- She called to her husband, and said, "Please send me one of the servants, and one of the donkeys, that I may run to the man of God, and come again."
- He said, "Why would you want go to him today? It is neither new moon nor Sabbath." She said, "It's alright."
- Then she saddled a donkey, and said to her servant, "Drive, and go forward! Don't slow down for me, unless I ask you to."
- So she went, and came to the man of God to Mount Carmel. It happened, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, "Behold, there is the Shunammite.
- Please run now to meet her, and ask her, 'Is it well with you? Is it well with your husband? Is it well with the child?'" She answered, "It is well."
- When she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught hold of his feet. Gehazi came near to thrust her away; but the man of God said, "Leave her alone; for her soul is troubled within her; and Yahweh has hidden it from me, and has not told me."
- Then she said, "Did I desire a son of my lord? Didn't I say, Do not deceive me?"
- Then he said to Gehazi, "Tuck your cloak into your belt, take my staff in your hand, and go your way. If you meet any man, don't greet him; and if anyone greets you, don't answer him again. Then lay my staff on the face of the child."
- The mother of the child said, "As Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you." He arose, and followed her.
- Gehazi passed on before them, and laid the staff on the face of the child; but there was neither voice, nor hearing. Therefore he returned to meet him, and told him, saying, "The child has not awakened."
- When Elisha had come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid on his bed.
- He went in therefore, and shut the door on them both, and prayed to Yahweh.
- He went up, and lay on the child, and put his mouth on his mouth, and his eyes on his eyes, and his hands on his hands. He stretched himself on him; and the flesh of the child grew warm.
- Then he returned, and walked in the house once back and forth; and went up, and stretched himself on him. Then the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
- He called Gehazi, and said, "Call this Shunammite!" So he called her. When she had come in to him, he said, "Take up your son."
- Then she went in, and fell at his feet, and bowed herself to the ground; and she took up her son, and went out.
- Elisha came again to Gilgal. There was a famine in the land; and the sons of the prophets were sitting before him; and he said to his servant, "Set on the great pot, and boil stew for the sons of the prophets."
- One went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered of it wild gourds his lap full, and came and shred them into the pot of stew; for they didn't recognize them.
- So they poured out for the men to eat. It happened, as they were eating of the stew, that they cried out, and said, "Man of God, there is death in the pot!" They could not eat of it.
- But he said, "Then bring meal." He cast it into the pot; and he said, "Pour out for the people, that they may eat." There was no harm in the pot.
- A man from Baal Shalishah came, and brought the man of God bread of the first fruits, twenty loaves of barley, and fresh ears of grain in his sack. He said, "Give to the people, that they may eat."
- His servant said, "What, should I set this before a hundred men?" But he said, "Give the people, that they may eat; for thus says Yahweh, 'They will eat, and will have some left over.'"
- So he set it before them, and they ate, and left some of it, according to the word of Yahweh.
|2 Kings 4 Text (Hebrew)
- ואשה אחת מנשי בני־הנביאים צעקה אל־אלישע לאמר עבדך אישי מת ואתה ידעת כי עבדך היה ירא את־יהוה והנשה בא לקחת את־שני ילדי לו לעבדים׃
- ויאמר אליה אלישע מה אעשה־לך הגידי לי מה־יש־ בבית ותאמר אין לשפחתך כל בבית כי אם־אסוך שמן׃
- ויאמר לכי שאלי־לך כלים מן־החוץ מאת כל־ כלים רקים אל־תמעיטי׃
- ובאת וסגרת הדלת בעדך ובעד־בניך ויצקת על כל־הכלים האלה והמלא תסיעי׃
- ותלך מאתו ותסגר הדלת בעדה ובעד בניה הם מגשים אליה והיא ׃
- ויהי כמלאת הכלים ותאמר אל־בנה הגישה אלי עוד כלי ויאמר אליה אין עוד כלי ויעמד השמן׃
- ותבא ותגד לאיש האלהים ויאמר לכי מכרי את־השמן ושלמי את־ ואת תחיי בנותר׃ ף
- ויהי היום ויעבר אלישע אל־שונם ושם אשה גדולה ותחזק־בו לאכל־לחם ויהי מדי עברו יסר שמה לאכל־לחם׃
- ותאמר אל־אישה הנה־נא ידעתי כי איש אלהים קדוש הוא עבר עלינו תמיד׃
- נעשה־נא עלית־קיר קטנה ונשים לו שם מטה ושלחן וכסא ומנורה והיה בבאו אלינו יסור שמה׃
- ויהי היום ויבא שמה ויסר אל־העליה וישכב־שמה׃
- ויאמר אל־גחזי נערו קרא לשונמית הזאת ויקרא־לה ותעמד לפניו׃
- ויאמר לו אמר־נא אליה הנה חרדת אלינו את־כל־החרדה הזאת מה לעשות לך היש לדבר־לך אל־המלך או אל־שר הצבא ותאמר בתוך עמי אנכי ישבת׃
- ויאמר ומה לעשות לה ויאמר גיחזי אבל בן אין־לה ואישה זקן׃
- ויאמר קרא־לה ויקרא־לה ותעמד בפתח׃
- ויאמר למועד הזה כעת חיה חבקת בן ותאמר אל־אדני איש האלהים אל־תכזב בשפחתך׃
- ותהר האשה ותלד בן למועד הזה כעת חיה אשר־דבר אליה אלישע׃
- ויגדל הילד ויהי היום ויצא אל־אביו אל־הקצרים׃
- ויאמר אל־אביו ראשי ראשי ויאמר אל־הנער שאהו אל־אמו׃
- וישאהו ויביאהו אל־אמו וישב על־ברכיה עד־הצהרים וימת׃
- ותעל ותשכבהו על־מטת איש האלהים ותסגר בעדו ותצא׃
- ותקרא אל־אישה ותאמר שלחה נא לי אחד מן־הנערים ואחת האתנות וארוצה עד־איש האלהים ואשובה׃
- ויאמר מדוע אליו היום לא־חדש ולא שבת ותאמר שלום׃
- ותחבש האתון ותאמר אל־נערה נהג ולך אל־תעצר־לי לרכב כי אם־אמרתי לך׃
- ותלך ותבוא אל־איש האלהים אל־הר הכרמל ויהי כראות איש־האלהים אתה מנגד ויאמר אל־גיחזי נערו הנה השונמית הלז׃
- עתה רוץ־נא לקראתה ואמר־לה השלום לך השלום לאישך השלום לילד ותאמר שלום׃
- ותבא אל־איש האלהים אל־ההר ותחזק ברגליו ויגש גיחזי להדפה ויאמר איש האלהים הרפה־לה כי־נפשה מרה־לה ויהוה העלים ממני ולא הגיד לי׃
- ותאמר השאלתי בן מאת אדני הלא אמרתי לא תשלה אתי׃
- ויאמר לגיחזי חגר מתניך וקח משענתי בידך ולך כי־תמצא איש לא תברכנו וכי־יברךך איש לא תעננו ושמת משענתי על־פני הנער׃
- ותאמר אם הנער חי־יהוה וחי־נפשך אם־אעזבך ויקם וילך אחריה׃
- וגחזי עבר לפניהם וישם את־המשענת על־פני הנער ואין קול ואין קשב וישב לקראתו ויגד־לו לאמר לא הקיץ הנער׃
- ויבא אלישע הביתה והנה הנער מת משכב על־מטתו׃
- ויבא ויסגר הדלת בעד שניהם ויתפלל אל־יהוה׃
- ויעל וישכב על־הילד וישם פיו על־פיו ועיניו על־עיניו וכפיו על־ ויגהר עליו ויחם בשר הילד׃
- וישב וילך בבית אחת הנה ואחת הנה ויעל ויגהר עליו ויזורר הנער עד־שבע פעמים ויפקח הנער את־עיניו׃
- ויקרא אל־גיחזי ויאמר קרא אל־השנמית הזאת ויקראה ותבוא אליו ויאמר שאי בנך׃
- ותבא ותפל על־רגליו ותשתחו ארצה ותשא את־בנה ותצא׃ ף
- ואלישע שב הגלגלה והרעב בארץ ובני הנביאים ישבים לפניו ויאמר לנערו שפת הסיר הגדולה ובשל נזיד לבני הנביאים׃
- ויצא אחד אל־השדה ללקט ארת וימצא גפן שדה וילקט ממנו פקעת שדה מלא בגדו ויבא ויפלח אל־סיר הנזיד כי־לא ידעו׃
- ויצקו לאנשים לאכול ויהי כאכלם מהנזיד והמה צעקו ויאמרו מות בסיר איש האלהים ולא יכלו לאכל׃
- ויאמר וקחו־קמח וישלך אל־הסיר ויאמר צק לעם ויאכלו ולא היה דבר רע בסיר׃ ס
- ואיש בא מבעל שלשה ויבא לאיש האלהים לחם בכורים עשרים־לחם שערים וכרמל בצקלנו ויאמר תן לעם ויאכלו׃
- ויאמר משרתו מה אתן זה לפני מאה איש ויאמר תן לעם ויאכלו כי כה אמר יהוה אכל והותר׃
- ויתן לפניהם ויאכלו ויותרו כדבר יהוה׃ ף
|2 Kings 4 Text (Latin)
- Mulier autem quædam de uxoribus prophetarum clamabat ad Eliseum, dicens : Servus tuus vir meus mortuus est, et tu nosti quia servus tuus fuit timens Dominum : et ecce creditor venit ut tollat duos filios meos ad serviendum sibi.
- Cui dixit Eliseus : Quid vis ut faciam tibi ? Dic mihi, quid habes in domo tua ? At illa respondit : Non habeo ancilla tua quidquam in domo mea nisi parum olei, quo ungar.
- Cui ait : Vade, pete mutuo ab omnibus vicinis tuis vasa vacua non pauca :
- et ingredere, et claude ostium tuum, cum intrinsecus fueris tu, et filii tui : et mitte inde in omnia vasa hæc : et cum plena fuerint, tolles.
- Ivit itaque mulier, et clausit ostium super se, et super filios suos : illi offerebant vasa, et illa infundebat.
- Cumque plena fuissent vasa, dixit ad filium suum : Affer mihi adhuc vas. Et ille respondit : Non habeo. Stetitque oleum.
- Venit autem illa, et indicavit homini Dei. Et ille : Vade, inquit, vende oleum, et redde creditori tuo : tu autem, et filii tui vivite de reliquo.
- Facta est autem quædam dies, et transibat Eliseus per Sunam : erat autem ibi mulier magna, quæ tenuit eum ut comederet panem : cumque frequenter inde transiret, divertebat ad eam ut comederet panem.
- Quæ dixit ad virum suum : Animadverto quod vir Dei sanctus est iste, qui transit per nos frequenter.
- Faciamus ergo ei cœnaculum parvum, et ponamus ei in eo lectulum, et mensam, et sellam, et candelabrum, ut cum venerit ad nos, maneat ibi.
- Facta est ergo dies quædam, et veniens divertit in cœnaculum, et requievit ibi.
- Dixitque ad Giezi puerum suum : Voca Sunamitidem istam. Qui cum vocasset eam, et illa stetisset coram eo,
- dixit ad puerum suum : Loquere ad eam : Ecce, sedule in omnibus ministrasti nobis, quid vis ut faciam tibi ? Numquid habes negotium, et vis ut loquar regi, sive principi militiæ ? Quæ respondit : In medio populi mei habito.
- Et ait : Quid ergo vult ut faciam ei ? Dixitque Giezi : Ne quæras : filium enim non habet, et vir ejus senex est.
- Præcepit itaque ut vocaret eam : quæ cum vocata fuisset, et stetisset ante ostium,
- dixit ad eam : In tempore isto, et in hac eadem hora, si vita comes fuerit, habebis in utero filium. At illa respondit : Noli quæso, domine mi, vir Dei, noli mentiri ancillæ tuæ.
- Et concepit mulier, et peperit filium in tempore, et in hora eadem, qua dixerat Eliseus.
- Crevit autem puer. Et cum esset quædam dies, et egressus isset ad patrem suum, ad messores,
- ait patri suo : Caput meum doleo, caput meum doleo. At ille dixit puero : Tolle, et duc eum ad matrem suam.
- Qui cum tulisset, et duxisset eum ad matrem suam, posuit eum illa super genua sua usque ad meridiem, et mortuus est.
- Ascendit autem, et collocavit eum super lectulum hominis Dei, et clausit ostium : et egressa,
- vocavit virum suum, et ait : Mitte mecum, obsecro, unum de pueris, et asinam, ut excurram usque ad hominem Dei, et revertar.
- Qui ait illi : Quam ob causam vadis ad eum ? hodie non sunt calendæ, neque sabbatum. Quæ respondit : Vadam.
- Stravitque asinam, et præcepit puero : Mina, et propera, ne mihi moram facias in eundo : et hoc age quod præcipio tibi.
- Profecta est igitur, et venit ad virum Dei in montem Carmeli : cumque vidisset eam vir Dei econtra, ait ad Giezi puerum suum : Ecce Sunamitis illa.
- Vade ergo in occursum ejus, et dic ei : Recte ne agitur circa te, et circa virum tuum, et circa filium tuum ? Quæ respondit : Recte.
- Cumque venisset ad virum Dei in montem, apprehendit pedes ejus : et accessit Giezi ut amoveret eam. Et ait homo Dei : Dimitte illam : anima enim ejus in amaritudine est, et Dominus celavit a me, et non indicavit mihi.
- Quæ dixit illi : Numquid petivi filium a domino meo ? numquid non dixi tibi : Ne illudas me ?
- Et ille ait ad Giezi : Accinge lumbos tuos, et tolle baculum meum in manu tua, et vade. Si occurrerit tibi homo, non salutes eum : et si salutaverit te quispiam, non respondeas illi : et pones baculum meum super faciem pueri.
- Porro mater pueri ait : Vivit Dominus, et vivit anima tua, non dimittam te. Surrexit ergo, et secutus est eam.
- Giezi autem præcesserat ante eos, et posuerat baculum super faciem pueri, et non erat vox, neque sensus : reversusque est in occursum ejus, et nuntiavit ei, dicens : Non surrexit puer.
- Ingressus est ergo Eliseus domum, et ecce puer mortuus jacebat in lectulo ejus :
- ingressusque clausit ostium super se, et super puerum, et oravit ad Dominum.
- Et ascendit, et incubuit super puerum : posuitque os suum super os ejus, et oculos suos super oculos ejus, et manus suas super manus ejus : et incurvavit se super eum, et calefacta est caro pueri.
- At ille reversus, deambulavit in domo, semel huc atque illuc : et ascendit, et incubuit super eum : et oscitavit puer septies, aperuitque oculos.
- At ille vocavit Giezi, et dixit ei : Voca Sunamitidem hanc. Quæ vocata, ingressa est ad eum. Qui ait : Tolle filium tuum.
- Venit illa, et corruit ad pedes ejus, et adoravit super terram : tulitque filium suum, et egressa est.
- Et Eliseus reversus est in Galgala. Erat autem fames in terra, et filii prophetarum habitabant coram eo. Dixitque uni de pueris suis : Pone ollam grandem, et coque pulmentum filiis prophetarum.
- Et egressus est unus in agrum ut colligeret herbas agrestes : invenitque quasi vitem silvestrem, et collegit ex ea colocynthidas agri, et implevit pallium suum, et reversus concidit in ollam pulmenti : nesciebat enim quid esset.
- Infuderunt ergo sociis, ut comederent : cumque gustassent de coctione, clamaverunt, dicentes : Mors in olla, vir Dei. Et non potuerunt comedere.
- At ille : Afferte, inquit, farinam. Cumque tulissent, misit in ollam, et ait : Infunde turbæ, ut comedant. Et non fuit amplius quidquam amaritudinis in olla.
- Vir autem quidam venit de Baalsalisa deferens viro Dei panes primitiarum, viginti panes hordeaceos, et frumentum novum in pera sua. At ille dixit : Da populo, ut comedat.
- Responditque ei minister ejus : Quantum est hoc, ut apponam centum viris ? Rursum ille ait : Da populo, ut comedat : hæc enim dicit Dominus : Comedent, et supererit.
- Posuit itaque coram eis : qui comederunt, et superfuit juxta verbum Domini.
|2 Kings 4 Text (KJV)
- Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the LORD: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen.
- And Elisha said unto her, What shall I do for thee? tell me, what hast thou in the house? And she said, Thine handmaid hath not any thing in the house, save a pot of oil.
- Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few.
- And when thou art come in, thou shalt shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and shalt pour out into all those vessels, and thou shalt set aside that which is full.
- So she went from him, and shut the door upon her and upon her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured out.
- And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed.
- Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy children of the rest.
- And it fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where was a great woman; and she constrained him to eat bread. And so it was, that as oft as he passed by, he turned in thither to eat bread.
- And she said unto her husband, Behold now, I perceive that this is an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually.
- Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee, on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be, when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither.
- And it fell on a day, that he came thither, and he turned into the chamber, and lay there.
- And he said to Gehazi his servant, Call this Shunammite. And when he had called her, she stood before him.
- And he said unto him, Say now unto her, Behold, thou hast been careful for us with all this care; what is to be done for thee? wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or to the captain of the host? And she answered, I dwell among mine own people.
- And he said, What then is to be done for her? And Gehazi answered, Verily she hath no child, and her husband is old.
- And he said, Call her. And when he had called her, she stood in the door.
- And he said, About this season, according to the time of life, thou shalt embrace a son. And she said, Nay, my lord, thou man of God, do not lie unto thine handmaid.
- And the woman conceived, and bare a son at that season that Elisha had said unto her, according to the time of life.
- And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers.
- And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother.
- And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died.
- And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out.
- And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again.
- And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well.
- Then she saddled an ass, and said to her servant, Drive, and go forward; slack not thy riding for me, except I bid thee.
- So she went and came unto the man of God to mount Carmel. And it came to pass, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, Behold, yonder is that Shunammite:
- Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well.
- And when she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me, and hath not told me.
- Then she said, Did I desire a son of my lord? did I not say, Do not deceive me?
- Then he said to Gehazi, Gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thine hand, and go thy way: if thou meet any man, salute him not; and if any salute thee, answer him not again: and lay my staff upon the face of the child.
- And the mother of the child said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and followed her.
- And Gehazi passed on before them, and laid the staff upon the face of the child; but there was neither voice, nor hearing. Wherefore he went again to meet him, and told him, saying, The child is not awaked.
- And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed.
- He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD.
- And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and he stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm.
- Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
- And he called Gehazi, and said, Call this Shunammite. So he called her. And when she was come in unto him, he said, Take up thy son.
- Then she went in, and fell at his feet, and bowed herself to the ground, and took up her son, and went out.
- And Elisha came again to Gilgal: and there was a dearth in the land; and the sons of the prophets were sitting before him: and he said unto his servant, Set on the great pot, and seethe pottage for the sons of the prophets.
- And one went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered thereof wild gourds his lap full, and came and shred them into the pot of pottage: for they knew them not.
- So they poured out for the men to eat. And it came to pass, as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O thou man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eat thereof.
- But he said, Then bring meal. And he cast it into the pot; and he said, Pour out for the people, that they may eat. And there was no harm in the pot.
- And there came a man from Baal-shalisha, and brought the man of God bread of the firstfruits, twenty loaves of barley, and full ears of corn in the husk thereof. And he said, Give unto the people, that they may eat.
- And his servitor said, What, should I set this before an hundred men? He said again, Give the people, that they may eat: for thus saith the LORD, They shall eat, and shall leave thereof.
- So he set it before them, and they did eat, and left thereof, according to the word of the LORD.