| 1 Samuel 1 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 1 Text (WEB)
- Now there was a certain man of Ramathaim Zophim, of the hill country of Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephraimite:
- and he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
- This man went up out of his city from year to year to worship and to sacrifice to Yahweh of Armies in Shiloh. The two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, priests to Yahweh, were there.
- When the day came that Elkanah sacrificed, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions:
- but to Hannah he gave a double portion; for he loved Hannah, but Yahweh had shut up her womb.
- Her rival provoked her severely, to make her fret, because Yahweh had shut up her womb.
- [as] he did so year by year, when she went up to the house of Yahweh, so she provoked her; therefore she wept, and did not eat.
- Elkanah her husband said to her, "Hannah, why do you weep? Why don't you eat? Why is your heart grieved? Am I not better to you than ten sons?"
- So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest was sitting on his seat by the doorpost of the temple of Yahweh.
- She was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to Yahweh, and wept bitterly.
- She vowed a vow, and said, "Yahweh of Armies, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your handmaid, and remember me, and not forget your handmaid, but will give to your handmaid a boy, then I will give him to Yahweh all the days of his life, and no razor shall come on his head."
- It happened, as she continued praying before Yahweh, that Eli saw her mouth.
- Now Hannah spoke in her heart. Only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.
- Eli said to her, "How long will you be drunken? Put away your wine from you."
- Hannah answered, "No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I poured out my soul before Yahweh.
- Don't count your handmaid for a wicked woman; for I have been speaking out of the abundance of my complaint and my provocation."
- Then Eli answered, "Go in peace; and may the God of Israel grant your petition that you have asked of him."
- She said, "Let your handmaid find favor in your sight." So the woman went her way, and ate; and her facial expression wasn't sad any more.
- They rose up in the morning early, and worshiped before Yahweh, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and Yahweh remembered her.
- It happened, when the time had come, that Hannah conceived, and bore a son; and she named him Samuel, [saying], "Because I have asked him of Yahweh."
- The man Elkanah, and all his house, went up to offer to Yahweh the yearly sacrifice, and his vow.
- But Hannah didn't go up; for she said to her husband, "Not until the child is weaned; then I will bring him, that he may appear before Yahweh, and stay there forever."
- Elkanah her husband said to her, "Do what seems good to you. Wait until you have weaned him; only may Yahweh establish his word." So the woman waited and nursed her son, until she weaned him.
- When she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bulls, and one ephah of meal, and a bottle of wine, and brought him to Yahweh's house in Shiloh. The child was young.
- They killed the bull, and brought the child to Eli.
- She said, "Oh, my lord, as your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood by you here, praying to Yahweh.
- For this child I prayed; and Yahweh has given me my petition which I asked of him.
- Therefore also I have granted him to Yahweh. As long as he lives he is granted to Yahweh." He worshiped Yahweh there.
| 1 Samuel 1 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי איש אחד מן־הרמתים צופים מהר אפרים ושמו אלקנה בן־ירחם בן־אליהוא בן־תחו בן־צוף אפרתי׃
- ולו שתי נשים שם אחת חנה ושם השנית פננה ויהי לפננה ילדים ולחנה אין ילדים׃
- ועלה האיש ההוא מעירו מימים ימימה להשתחות ולזבח ליהוה צבאות בשלה ושם שני בני־עלי חפני ופנחס כהנים ליהוה׃
- ויהי היום ויזבח אלקנה ונתן לפננה אשתו ולכל־בניה ובנותיה מנות׃
- ולחנה יתן מנה אחת אפים כי את־חנה אהב ויהוה סגר רחמה׃
- וכעסתה צרתה גם־כעס בעבור הרעמה כי־סגר יהוה בעד רחמה׃
- וכן יעשה שנה בשנה מדי עלתה בבית יהוה כן תכעסנה ותבכה ולא תאכל׃
- ויאמר לה אלקנה אישה חנה למה תבכי ולמה לא תאכלי ולמה ירע לבבך הלוא אנכי טוב לך מעשרה בנים׃
- ותקם חנה אחרי אכלה בשלה ואחרי שתה ועלי הכהן ישב על־הכסא על־מזוזת היכל יהוה׃
- והיא מרת נפש ותתפלל על־יהוה ובכה תבכה׃
- ותדר נדר ותאמר יהוה צבאות אם־ראה תראה בעני אמתך וזכרתני ולא־תשכח את־אמתך ונתתה לאמתך זרע אנשים ונתתיו ליהוה כל־ימי חייו ומורה לא־יעלה על־ראשו׃
- והיה כי הרבתה להתפלל לפני יהוה ועלי שמר את־פיה׃
- וחנה היא מדברת על־לבה רק שפתיה נעות וקולה לא ישמע ויחשבה עלי לשכרה׃
- ויאמר אליה עלי עד־מתי תשתכרין הסירי את־יינך מעליך׃
- ותען חנה ותאמר לא אדני אשה קשת־רוח אנכי ויין ושכר לא שתיתי ואשפך את־נפשי לפני יהוה׃
- אל־תתן את־אמתך לפני בת־בליעל כי־מרב שיחי וכעסי דברתי עד־הנה׃
- ויען עלי ויאמר לכי לשלום ואלהי ישראל יתן את־שלתך אשר שאלת מעמו׃
- ותאמר תמצא שפחתך חן בעיניך ותלך האשה לדרכה ותאכל ופניה לא־היו־לה עוד׃
- וישכמו בבקר וישתחוו לפני יהוה וישבו ויבאו אל־ביתם הרמתה וידע אלקנה את־חנה אשתו ויזכרה יהוה׃
- ויהי לתקפות הימים ותהר חנה ותלד בן ותקרא את־שמו שמואל כי מיהוה שאלתיו׃
- ויעל האיש אלקנה וכל־ביתו לזבח ליהוה את־זבח הימים ואת־נדרו׃
- וחנה לא עלתה כי־אמרה לאישה עד יגמל הנער והבאתיו ונראה את־פני יהוה וישב שם עד־עולם׃
- ויאמר לה אלקנה אישה עשי הטוב בעיניך שבי עד־גמלך אתו אך יקם יהוה את־דברו ותשב האשה ותינק את־בנה עד־גמלה אתו׃
- ותעלהו עמה כאשר גמלתו בפרים שלשה ואיפה אחת קמח ונבל יין ותבאהו בית־יהוה שלו והנער נער׃
- וישחטו את־הפר ויביאו את־הנער אל־עלי׃
- ותאמר בי אדני חי נפשך אדני אני האשה הנצבת עמכה בזה להתפלל אל־יהוה׃
- אל־הנער הזה התפללתי ויתן יהוה לי את־שאלתי אשר שאלתי מעמו׃
- וגם אנכי השאלתהו ליהוה כל־הימים אשר היה הוא שאול ליהוה וישתחו שם ליהוה׃ ף
| 1 Samuel 1 Text (Latin)
- Fuit vir unus de Ramathaimsophim, de monte Ephraim, et nomen ejus Elcana, filius Jeroham, filii Eliu, filii Thohu, filii Suph, Ephrathæus :
- et habuit duas uxores, nomen uni Anna, et nomen secundæ Phenenna. Fueruntque Phenennæ filii : Annæ autem non erant liberi.
- Et ascendebat vir ille de civitate sua statutis diebus, ut adoraret et sacrificaret Domino exercituum in Silo. Erant autem ibi duo filii Heli, Ophni et Phinees, sacerdotes Domini.
- Venit ergo dies, et immolavit Elcana, deditque Phenennæ uxori suæ, et cunctis filiis ejus, et filiabus partes :
- Annæ autem dedit partem unam tristis, quia Annam diligebat. Dominus autem concluserat vulvam ejus.
- Affligebat quoque eam æmula ejus, et vehementer angebat, in tantum ut exprobraret quod Dominus conclusisset vulvam ejus :
- sicque faciebat per singulos annos : cum redeunte tempore ascenderent ad templum Domini : et sic provocabat eam ; porro illa flebat, et non capiebat cibum.
- Dixit ergo ei Elcana vir suus : Anna, cur fles ? et quare non comedis ? et quam ob rem affligitur cor tuum ? numquid non ego melior tibi sum, quam decem filii ?
- Surrexit autem Anna postquam comederat et biberat in Silo. Et Heli sacerdote sedente super sellam ante postes templi Domini,
- cum esset Anna amaro animo, oravit ad Dominum, flens largiter,
- et votum vovit, dicens : Domine exercituum, si respiciens videris afflictionem famulæ tuæ, et recordatus mei fueris, nec oblitus ancillæ tuæ, dederisque servæ tuæ sexum virilem : dabo eum Domino omnibus diebus vitæ ejus, et novacula non ascendet super caput ejus.
- Factum est autem, cum illa multiplicaret preces coram Domino, ut Heli observaret os ejus.
- Porro Anna loquebatur in corde suo, tantumque labia illius movebantur, et vox penitus non audiebatur. Æstimavit ergo eam Heli temulentam,
- dixitque ei : Usquequo ebria eris ? digere paulisper vinum, quo mades.
- Respondens Anna : Nequaquam, inquit, domine mi : nam mulier infelix nimis ego sum, vinumque et omne quod inebriare potest, non bibi, sed effudi animam meam in conspectu Domini.
- Ne reputes ancillam tuam quasi unam de filiabus Belial : quia ex multitudine doloris, et mœroris mei locuta sum usque in præsens.
- Tunc Heli ait ei : Vade in pace : et Deus Israël det tibi petitionem tuam, quam rogasti eum.
- Et illa dixit : Utinam inveniat ancilla tua gratiam in oculis tuis. Et abiit mulier in viam suam, et comedit, vultusque illius non sunt amplius in diversa mutati.
- Et surrexerunt mane, et adoraverunt coram Domino : reversique sunt, et venerunt in domum suam Ramatha. Cognovit autem Elcana Annam uxorem suam : et recordatus est ejus Dominus.
- Et factum est post circulum dierum, concepit Anna, et peperit filium, vocavitque nomen ejus Samuel : eo quod a Domino postulasset eum.
- Ascendit autem vir ejus Elcana, et omnis domus ejus, ut immolaret Domino hostiam solemnem, et votum suum,
- et Anna non ascendit : dixit enim viro suo : Non vadam, donec ablactetur infans, et ducam eum, ut appareat ante conspectum Domini, et maneat ibi jugiter.
- Et ait ei Elcana vir suus : Fac quod bonum tibi videtur, et mane donec ablactes eum : precorque ut impleat Dominus verbum suum. Mansit ergo mulier, et lactavit filium suum, donec amoveret eum a lacte.
- Et adduxit eum secum, postquam ablactaverat, in vitulis tribus, et tribus modiis farinæ, et amphora vini, et adduxit eum ad domum Domini in Silo. Puer autem erat adhuc infantulus :
- et immolaverunt vitulum, et obtulerunt puerum Heli.
- Et ait Anna : Obsecro mi domine, vivit anima tua domine : ego sum illa mulier, quæ steti coram te hic orans Dominum.
- Pro puero isto oravi, et dedit mihi Dominus petitionem meam, quam postulavi eum.
- Idcirco et ego commodavi eum Domino cunctis diebus, quibus fuerit commodatus Domino. Et adoraverunt ibi Dominum. Et oravit Anna, et ait :
| 1 Samuel 1 Text (KJV)
- Now there was a certain man of Ramathaim-zophim, of mount Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite:
- And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
- And this man went up out of his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.
- And when the time was that Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions:
- But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb.
- And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.
- And as he did so year by year, when she went up to the house of the LORD, so she provoked her; therefore she wept, and did not eat.
- Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons?
- So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of the LORD.
- And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore.
- And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no rasor come upon his head.
- And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.
- Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.
- And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.
- And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.
- Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.
- Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.
- And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad.
- And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her.
- Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.
- And the man Elkanah, and all his house, went up to offer unto the LORD the yearly sacrifice, and his vow.
- But Hannah went not up; for she said unto her husband, I will not go up until the child be weaned, and then I will bring him, that he may appear before the LORD, and there abide for ever.
- And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Do what seemeth thee good; tarry until thou have weaned him; only the LORD establish his word. So the woman abode, and gave her son suck until she weaned him.
- And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the LORD in Shiloh: and the child was young.
- And they slew a bullock, and brought the child to Eli.
- And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.
- For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him:
- Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.