| 1 Samuel 24 - Versions
| 1 Samuel 24 Text (WEB)
- It happened, when Saul was returned from following the Philistines, that it was told him, saying, "Behold, David is in the wilderness of En Gedi."
- Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men on the rocks of the wild goats.
- He came to the sheep pens by the way, where there was a cave; and Saul went in to relieve himself. Now David and his men were abiding in the innermost parts of the cave.
- The men of David said to him, "Behold, the day of which Yahweh said to you, 'Behold, I will deliver your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you.'" Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe secretly.
- It happened afterward, that David's heart struck him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt.
- He said to his men, "Yahweh forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, Yahweh's anointed, to put forth my hand against him, since he is Yahweh's anointed."
- So David checked his men with these words, and didn't allow them to rise against Saul. Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way.
- David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, "My lord the king!" When Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the earth, and did obeisance.
- David said to Saul, "Why do you listen to men's words, saying, 'Behold, David seeks your hurt?'
- Behold, this day your eyes have seen how that Yahweh had delivered you today into my hand in the cave. Some urged me to kill you; but I spared you; and I said, I will not put forth my hand against my lord; for he is Yahweh's anointed.
- Moreover, my father, behold, yes, see the skirt of your robe in my hand; for in that I cut off the skirt of your robe, and didn't kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor disobedience in my hand, and I have not sinned against you, though you hunt for my life to take it.
- May Yahweh judge between me and you, and may Yahweh avenge me of you; but my hand shall not be on you.
- As the proverb of the ancients says, 'Out of the wicked comes forth wickedness;' but my hand shall not be on you.
- Against whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dead dog? A flea?
- May Yahweh therefore be judge, and give sentence between me and you, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of your hand."
- It came to pass, when David had made an end of speaking these words to Saul, that Saul said, "Is this your voice, my son David?" Saul lifted up his voice, and wept.
- He said to David, "You are more righteous than I; for you have done good to me, whereas I have done evil to you.
- You have declared this day how you have dealt well with me, because when Yahweh had delivered me up into your hand, you didn't kill me.
- For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away unharmed? Therefore may Yahweh reward you good for that which you have done to me this day.
- Now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand.
- Swear now therefore to me by Yahweh, that you will not cut off my seed after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father's house."
- David swore to Saul. Saul went home; but David and his men went up to the stronghold.
| 1 Samuel 24 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי כאשר שב שאול מאחרי פלשתים ויגדו לו לאמר הנה דוד במדבר עין גדי׃ ס
- ויקח שאול שלשת אלפים איש בחור מכל־ישראל וילך לבקש את־דוד ואנשיו על־פני צורי היעלים׃
- ויבא אל־גדרות הצאן על־הדרך ושם מערה ויבא שאול להסך את־רגליו ודוד ואנשיו בירכתי המערה ישבים׃
- ויאמרו אנשי דוד אליו הנה היום אשר־אמר יהוה אליך הנה אנכי נתן את־ בידך ועשית לו כאשר יטב בעיניך ויקם דוד ויכרת את־כנף־המעיל אשר־לשאול בלט׃
- ויהי אחרי־כן ויך לב־דוד אתו על אשר כרת את־כנף אשר לשאול׃ ס
- ויאמר לאנשיו חלילה לי מיהוה אם־אעשה את־הדבר הזה לאדני למשיח יהוה לשלח ידי בו כי־משיח יהוה הוא׃
- וישסע דוד את־אנשיו בדברים ולא נתנם לקום אל־שאול ושאול קם מהמערה וילך בדרך׃ ס
- ויקם דוד אחרי־כן ויצא ־ ויקרא אחרי־שאול לאמר אדני המלך ויבט שאול אחריו ויקד דוד אפים ארצה וישתחו׃ ס
- ויאמר דוד לשאול למה תשמע את־דברי אדם לאמר הנה דוד מבקש רעתך׃
- הנה היום הזה ראו עיניך את אשר־נתנך יהוה היום בידי במערה ואמר להרגך ותחס עליך ואמר לא־אשלח ידי באדני כי־משיח יהוה הוא׃
- ואבי ראה גם ראה את־כנף מעילך בידי כי בכרתי את־כנף מעילך ולא הרגתיך דע וראה כי אין בידי רעה ופשע ולא־חטאתי לך ואתה צדה את־נפשי לקחתה׃
- ישפט יהוה ביני ובינך ונקמני יהוה ממך וידי לא תהיה־בך׃
- כאשר יאמר משל הקדמני מרשעים יצא רשע וידי לא תהיה־בך׃
- אחרי מי יצא מלך ישראל אחרי מי אתה רדף אחרי כלב מת אחרי פרעש אחד׃
- והיה יהוה לדין ושפט ביני ובינך וירא וירב את־ריבי וישפטני מידך׃ ף
- ויהי ככלות דוד לדבר את־הדברים האלה אל־שאול ויאמר שאול הקלך זה בני דוד וישא שאול קלו ויבך׃
- ויאמר אל־דוד צדיק אתה ממני כי אתה גמלתני הטובה ואני גמלתיך הרעה׃
- הגדת היום את אשר־עשיתה אתי טובה את אשר סגרני יהוה בידך ולא הרגתני׃
- וכי־ימצא איש את־איבו ושלחו בדרך טובה ויהוה ישלמך טובה תחת היום הזה אשר עשיתה לי׃
- ועתה הנה ידעתי כי מלך תמלוך וקמה בידך ממלכת ישראל׃
- ועתה השבעה לי ביהוה אם־תכרית את־זרעי אחרי ואם־תשמיד את־שמי מבית אבי׃
- וישבע דוד לשאול וילך שאול אל־ביתו ודוד ואנשיו עלו על־המצודה׃ ף
| 1 Samuel 24 Text (Latin)
- Cumque reversus esset Saul, postquam persecutus est Philisthæos, nuntiaverunt ei, dicentes : Ecce, David in deserto est Engaddi.
- Assumens ergo Saul tria millia electorum virorum ex omni Israël, perrexit ad investigandum David et viros ejus, etiam super abruptissimas petra, quæ solis ibicibus perviæ sunt.
- Et venit ad caulas ovium, quæ se offerebant vianti : eratque ibi spelunca, quam ingressus est Saul, ut purgaret ventrem : porro David et viri ejus in interiore parte speluncæ latebant.
- Et dixerunt servi David ad eum : Ecce dies, de qua locutus est Dominus ad te : Ego tradam tibi inimicum tuum, ut facias ei sicut placuerit in oculis tuis. Surrexit ergo David, et præcidit oram chlamydis Saul silenter.
- Post hæc percussit cor suum David, eo quod abscidisset oram chlamydis Saul.
- Dixitque ad viros suos : Propitius sit mihi Dominus, ne faciam hanc rem domino meo, christo Domini, ut mittam manum meam in eum, quia christus Domini est.
- Et confregit David viros suos sermonibus, et non permisit eos ut consurgerent in Saul : porro Saul exsurgens de spelunca, pergebat cœpto itinere.
- Surrexit autem et David post eum : et egressus de spelunca, clamavit post tergum Saul, dicens : Domine mi rex. Et respexit Saul post se : et inclinans se David pronus in terram adoravit,
- dixitque ad Saul : Quare audis verba hominum loquentium, David quærit malum adversum te ?
- Ecce hodie viderunt oculi tui, quod tradiderit te Dominus in manu mea in spelunca : et cogitavi ut occiderem te, sed pepercit tibi oculus meus : dixi enim : Non extendam manum meam in dominum meum, quia christus Domini est.
- Quin potius pater mi, vide, et cognosce oram chlamydis tuæ in manu mea : quoniam cum præscinderem summitatem chlamydis tuæ, nolui extendere manum meam in te : animadverte, et vide, quoniam non est in manu mea malum, neque iniquitas, neque peccavi in te : tu autem insidiaris animæ meæ ut auferas eam.
- Judicet Dominus inter me et te, et ulciscatur me Dominus ex te : manus autem mea non sit in te.
- Sicut et in proverbio antiquo dicitur : Ab impiis egredietur impietas : manus ergo mea non sit in te.
- Quem persequeris, rex Israël ? quem persequeris ? canem mortuum persequeris, et pulicem unum.
- Sit Dominus judex, et judicet inter me et te : et videat, et judicet causam meam, et eruat me de manu tua.
- Cum autem complesset David loquens sermones hujuscemodi ad Saul, dixit Saul : Numquid vox hæc tua est fili mi David ? Et levavit Saul vocem suam, et flevit :
- dixitque ad David : Justior tu es quam ego : tu enim tribuisti mihi bona : ego autem reddidi tibi mala.
- Et tu indicasti hodie quæ feceris mihi bona : quomodo tradiderit me Dominus in manum tuam, et non occideris me.
- Quis enim cum invenerit inimicum suum, dimittet eum in via bona ? Sed Dominus reddat tibi vicissitudinem hanc pro eo quod hodie operatus es in me.
- Et nunc quia scio quod certissime regnaturus sis, et habiturus in manu tua regnum Israël :
- jura mihi in Domino, ne deleas semen meum post me, neque auferas nomen meum de domo patris mei.
- Et juravit David Sauli. Abiit ergo Saul in domum suam : et David et viri ejus ascenderunt ad tutiora loca.
| 1 Samuel 24 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass, when Saul was returned from following the Philistines, that it was told him, saying, Behold, David is in the wilderness of En-gedi.
- Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men upon the rocks of the wild goats.
- And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave.
- And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily.
- And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt.
- And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.
- So David stayed his servants with these words, and suffered them not to rise against Saul. But Saul rose up out of the cave, and went on his way.
- David also arose afterward, and went out of the cave, and cried after Saul, saying, My lord the king. And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth, and bowed himself.
- And David said to Saul, Wherefore hearest thou men's words, saying, Behold, David seeketh thy hurt?
- Behold, this day thine eyes have seen how that the LORD had delivered thee to day into mine hand in the cave: and some bade me kill thee: but mine eye spared thee; and I said, I will not put forth mine hand against my lord; for he is the LORD's anointed.
- Moreover, my father, see, yea, see the skirt of thy robe in my hand: for in that I cut off the skirt of thy robe and killed thee not, know thou and see that there is neither evil nor transgression in mine hand, and I have not sinned against thee; yet thou huntest my soul to take it.
- The LORD judge between me and thee, and the LORD avenge me of thee: but mine hand shall not be upon thee.
- As saith the proverb of the ancients, Wickedness proceedeth from the wicked: but mine hand shall not be upon thee.
- After whom is the king of Israel come out? after whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea.
- The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.
- And it came to pass, when David had made an end of speaking these words unto Saul, that Saul said, Is this thy voice, my son David? And Saul lifted up his voice, and wept.
- And he said to David, Thou art more righteous than I: for thou hast rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil.
- And thou hast shewed this day how that thou hast dealt well with me: forasmuch as when the LORD had delivered me into thine hand, thou killedst me not.
- For if a man find his enemy, will he let him go well away? wherefore the LORD reward thee good for that thou hast done unto me this day.
- And now, behold, I know well that thou shalt surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in thine hand.
- Swear now therefore unto me by the LORD, that thou wilt not cut off my seed after me, and that thou wilt not destroy my name out of my father's house.
- And David sware unto Saul. And Saul went home; but David and his men gat them up unto the hold.
The twenty-fourth chapter of the first book of Samuel recounts one of the times that King Saul pursued David in an attempt to kill him. In the story, David, although having the opportunity to kill Saul, acted honourably refusing to acts against a person that he considered had been appointed by God.