| 2 Samuel 17 - Versions
| 2 Samuel 17 Text (WEB)
- Moreover Ahithophel said to Absalom, "Let me now choose twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue after David tonight.
- I will come on him while he is weary and exhausted, and will make him afraid. All the people who are with him shall flee. I will strike the king only;
- and I will bring back all the people to you. The man whom you seek is as if all returned. All the people shall be in peace."
- The saying pleased Absalom well, and all the elders of Israel.
- Then Absalom said, "Now call Hushai the Archite also, and let us hear likewise what he says."
- When Hushai was come to Absalom, Absalom spoke to him, saying, "Ahithophel has spoken like this. Shall we do what he says? If not, speak up."
- Hushai said to Absalom, "The counsel that Ahithophel has given this time is not good."
- Hushai said moreover, "You know your father and his men, that they are mighty men, and they are fierce in their minds, like a bear robbed of her cubs in the field. Your father is a man of war, and will not lodge with the people.
- Behold, he is now hidden in some pit, or in some other place. It will happen, when some of them have fallen at the first, that whoever hears it will say, 'There is a slaughter among the people who follow Absalom!'
- Even he who is valiant, whose heart is as the heart of a lion, will utterly melt; for all Israel knows that your father is a mighty man, and those who are with him are valiant men.
- But I counsel that all Israel be gathered together to you, from Dan even to Beersheba, as the sand that is by the sea for multitude; and that you go to battle in your own person.
- So shall we come on him in some place where he shall be found, and we will light on him as the dew falls on the ground; and of him and of all the men who are with him we will not leave so much as one.
- Moreover, if he be gone into a city, then shall all Israel bring ropes to that city, and we will draw it into the river, until there isn't one small stone found there."
- Absalom and all the men of Israel said, "The counsel of Hushai the Archite is better than the counsel of Ahithophel." For Yahweh had ordained to defeat the good counsel of Ahithophel, to the intent that Yahweh might bring evil on Absalom.
- Then Hushai said to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, "Ahithophel counseled Absalom and the elders of Israel that way; and I have counseled this way.
- Now therefore send quickly, and tell David, saying, 'Don't lodge this night at the fords of the wilderness, but by all means pass over; lest the king be swallowed up, and all the people who are with him.'"
- Now Jonathan and Ahimaaz were staying by En Rogel; and a female servant used to go and tell them; and they went and told king David. For they might not be seen to come into the city.
- But a boy saw them, and told Absalom. Then they both went away quickly, and came to the house of a man in Bahurim, who had a well in his court; and they went down there.
- The woman took and spread the covering over the well's mouth, and spread out bruised grain on it; and nothing was known.
- Absalom's servants came to the woman to the house; and they said, "Where are Ahimaaz and Jonathan?" The woman said to them, "They have gone over the brook of water." When they had sought and could not find them, they returned to Jerusalem.
- It happened, after they had departed, that they came up out of the well, and went and told king David; and they said to David, "Arise and pass quickly over the water; for thus has Ahithophel counseled against you."
- Then David arose, and all the people who were with him, and they passed over the Jordan. By the morning light there lacked not one of them who had not gone over the Jordan.
- When Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his donkey, and arose, and went home, to his city, and set his house in order, and hanged himself; and he died, and was buried in the tomb of his father.
- Then David came to Mahanaim. Absalom passed over the Jordan, he and all the men of Israel with him.
- Absalom set Amasa over the army instead of Joab. Now Amasa was the son of a man, whose name was Ithra the Israelite, who went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah, Joab's mother.
- Israel and Absalom encamped in the land of Gilead.
- It happened, when David was come to Mahanaim, that Shobi the son of Nahash of Rabbah of the children of Ammon, and Machir the son of Ammiel of Lodebar, and Barzillai the Gileadite of Rogelim,
- brought beds, and basins, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and meal, and parched [grain], and beans, and lentils, and parched [pulse],
- and honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese of the herd, for David, and for the people who were with him, to eat: for they said, "The people are hungry, and weary, and thirsty, in the wilderness."
| 2 Samuel 17 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמר אחיתפל אל־אבשלם אבחרה נא שנים־עשר אלף איש ואקומה וארדפה אחרי־דוד הלילה׃
- ואבוא עליו והוא יגע ורפה ידים והחרדתי אתו ונס כל־העם אשר־אתו והכיתי את־המלך לבדו׃
- ואשיבה כל־העם אליך כשוב הכל האיש אשר אתה מבקש כל־העם יהיה שלום׃
- ויישר הדבר בעיני אבשלם ובעיני כל־זקני ישראל׃ ס
- ויאמר אבשלום קרא נא גם לחושי הארכי ונשמעה מה־בפיו גם־הוא׃
- ויבא חושי אל־אבשלום ויאמר אבשלום אליו לאמר כדבר הזה דבר אחיתפל הנעשה את־דברו אם־אין אתה דבר׃ ס
- ויאמר חושי אל־אבשלום לא־טובה העצה אשר־יעץ אחיתפל בפעם הזאת׃
- ויאמר חושי אתה ידעת את־אביך ואת־אנשיו כי גברים המה ומרי נפש המה כדב שכול בשדה ואביך איש מלחמה ולא ילין את־העם׃
- הנה עתה הוא־נחבא באחת הפחתים או באחד המקומת והיה כנפל בהם בתחלה ושמע השמע ואמר היתה מגפה בעם אשר אחרי אבשלם׃
- והוא גם־בן־חיל אשר לבו כלב האריה המס ימס כי־ידע כל־ישראל כי־גבור אביך ובני־חיל אשר אתו׃
- כי יעצתי האסף יאסף עליך כל־ישראל מדן ועד־באר שבע כחול אשר־על־הים לרב ופניך הלכים בקרב׃
- ובאנו אליו המקומת אשר נמצא שם ונחנו עליו כאשר יפל הטל על־האדמה ולא־נותר בו ובכל־האנשים אשר־אתו גם־אחד׃
- ואם־אל־עיר יאסף והשיאו כל־ישראל אל־העיר ההיא חבלים וסחבנו אתו עד־הנחל עד אשר־לא־נמצא שם גם־צרור׃ ף
- ויאמר אבשלום וכל־איש ישראל טובה עצת חושי הארכי מעצת אחיתפל ויהוה צוה להפר את־עצת אחיתפל הטובה לבעבור הביא יהוה אל־אבשלום את־הרעה׃ ס
- ויאמר חושי אל־צדוק ואל־אביתר הכהנים כזאת וכזאת יעץ אחיתפל את־אבשלם ואת זקני ישראל וכזאת וכזאת יעצתי אני׃
- ועתה שלחו מהרה והגידו לדוד לאמר אל־תלן הלילה בערבות המדבר וגם עבור תעבור פן יבלע למלך ולכל־העם אשר אתו׃
- ויהונתן ואחימעץ עמדים בעין־רגל והלכה השפחה והגידה להם והם ילכו והגידו למלך דוד כי לא יוכלו להראות לבוא העירה׃
- וירא אתם נער ויגד לאבשלם וילכו שניהם מהרה ויבאו אל־בית־איש בבחורים ולו באר בחצרו וירדו שם׃
- ותקח האשה ותפרש את־המסך על־פני הבאר ותשטח עליו הרפות ולא נודע דבר׃
- ויבאו עבדי אבשלום אל־האשה הביתה ויאמרו איה אחימעץ ויהונתן ותאמר להם האשה עברו מיכל המים ויבקשו ולא מצאו וישבו ירושלם׃ ס
- ויהי אחרי לכתם ויעלו מהבאר וילכו ויגדו למלך דוד ויאמרו אל־דוד קומו ועברו מהרה את־המים כי־ככה יעץ עליכם אחיתפל׃
- ויקם דוד וכל־העם אשר אתו ויעברו את־הירדן עד־אור הבקר עד־אחד לא נעדר אשר לא־עבר את־הירדן׃
- ואחיתפל ראה כי לא נעשתה עצתו ויחבש את־החמור ויקם וילך אל־ביתו אל־עירו ויצו אל־ביתו ויחנק וימת ויקבר בקבר אביו׃ ס
- ודוד בא מחנימה ואבשלם עבר את־הירדן הוא וכל־איש ישראל עמו׃
- ואת־עמשא שם אבשלם תחת יואב על־הצבא ועמשא בן־איש ושמו יתרא הישראלי אשר־בא אל־אביגל בת־נחש אחות צרויה אם יואב׃
- ויחן ישראל ואבשלם ארץ הגלעד׃ ס
- ויהי כבוא דוד מחנימה ושבי בן־נחש מרבת בני־עמון ומכיר בן־עמיאל מלא דבר וברזלי הגלעדי מרגלים׃
- משכב וספות וכלי יוצר וחטים ושערים וקמח וקלי ופול ועדשים וקלי׃
- ודבש וחמאה וצאן ושפות בקר הגישו לדוד ולעם אשר־אתו לאכול כי אמרו העם רעב ועיף וצמא במדבר׃
| 2 Samuel 17 Text (Latin)
- Dixit ergo Achitophel ad Absalom : Eligam mihi duodecim millia virorum, et consurgens persequar David hac nocte.
- Et irruens super eum (quippe qui lassus est, et solutis manibus) percutiam eum : cumque fugerit omnis populus qui cum eo est, percutiam regem desolatum.
- Et reducam universum populum, quomodo unus homo reverti solet : unum enim virum tu quæris : et omnis populus erit in pace.
- Placuitque sermo ejus Absalom, et cunctis majoribus natu Israël.
- Ait autem Absalom : Vocate Chusai Arachiten, et audiamus quid etiam ipse dicat.
- Cumque venisset Chusai ad Absalom, ait Absalom ad eum : Hujuscemodi sermonem locutus est Achitophel : facere debemus an non ? quod das consilium ?
- Et dixit Chusai ad Absalom : Non est bonum consilium, quod dedit Achitophel hac vice.
- Et rursum intulit Chusai : Tu nosti patrem tuum, et viros qui cum eo sunt, esse fortissimos et amaro animo, veluti si ursa raptis catulis in saltu sæviat : sed et pater tuus vir bellator est, nec morabitur cum populo.
- Forsitan nunc latitat in foveis, aut in uno, quo voluerit, loco : et cum ceciderit unus quilibet in principio, audiet quicumque audierit, et dicet : Facta est plaga in populo qui sequebatur Absalom.
- Et fortissimus quisque, cujus cor est quasi leonis, pavore solvetur : scit enim omnis populus Israël fortem esse patrem tuum, et robustos omnes qui cum eo sunt.
- Sed hoc mihi videtur rectum esse consilium. Congregetur ad te universus Israël, a Dan usque Bersabee, quasi arena maris innumerabilis : et tu eris in medio eorum.
- Et irruemus super eum in quocumque loco inventus fuerit : et operiemus eum, sicut cadere solet ros super terram : et non relinquemus de viris, qui cum eo sunt, ne unum quidem.
- Quod si urbem aliquam fuerit ingressus, circumdavit omnis Israël civitati illi funes, et trahemus eam in torrentem, ut non reperiatur ne calculus quidem ex ea.
- Dixitque Absalom, et omnes viri Israël : Melius est consilium Chusai Arachitæ, consilio Achitophel : Domini autem nutu dissipatum est consilium Achitophel utile, ut induceret Dominus super Absalom malum.
- Et ait Chusai Sadoc et Abiathar sacerdotibus : Hoc et hoc modo consilium dedit Achitophel Absalom, et senioribus Israël : et ego tale et tale dedi consilium.
- Nunc ergo mittite cito, et nuntiate David dicentes : Ne moreris nocte hac in campestribus deserti, sed absque dilatione transgredere : ne forte absorbeatur rex, et omnis populus qui cum eo est.
- Jonathas autem et Achimaas stabant juxta fontem Rogel : abiit ancilla et nuntiavit eis : et illi profecti sunt, ut referrent ad regem David nuntium : non enim poterant videri, aut introire civitatem.
- Vidit autem eos quidam puer, et indicavit Absalom : illi vero concito gradu ingressi sunt domum cujusdam viri in Bahurim, qui habebat puteum in vestibulo suo, et descenderunt in eum.
- Tulit autem mulier, et expandit velamen super os putei, quasi siccans ptisanas : et sic latuit res.
- Cumque venissent servi Absalom in domum, ad mulierem dixerunt : Ubi est Achimaas et Jonathas ? Et respondit eis mulier : Transierunt festinanter, gustata paululum aqua. At hi qui quærebant, cum non reperissent, reversi sunt in Jerusalem.
- Cumque abiissent, ascenderunt illi de puteo, et pergentes nuntiaverunt regi David, et dixerunt : Surgite, et transite cito fluvium : quoniam hujuscemodi dedit consilium contra vos Achitophel.
- Surrexit ergo David, et omnis populus qui cum eo erat, et transierunt Jordanem, donec dilucesceret : et ne unus quidem residuus fuit, qui non transisset fluvium.
- Porro Achitophel videns quod non fuisset factum consilium suum, stravit asinum suum, surrexitque, et abiit in domum suam et in civitatem suam : et disposita domo sua, suspendio interiit, et sepultus est in sepulchro patris sui.
- David autem venit in castra, et Absalom transivit Jordanem, ipse et omnes viri Israël cum eo.
- Amasam vero constituit Absalom pro Joab super exercitum : Amasa autem erat filius viri, qui vocabatur Jetra de Jezraëli, qui ingressus est ad Abigail, filiam Naas, sororem Sarviæ, quæ fuit mater Joab.
- Et castrametatus est Israël cum Absalom in terra Galaad.
- Cumque venisset David in castra, Sobi filius Naas de Rabbath filiorum Ammon, et Machir filius Ammihel de Lodabar, et Berzellai Galaadites de Rogelim,
- obtulerunt ei stratoria, et tapetia, et vasa fictilia, frumentum, et hordeum, et farinam, et polentam, et fabam, et lentem, et frixum cicer,
- et mel, et butyrum, oves, et pingues vitulos ; dederuntque David, et populo qui cum eo erat, ad vescendum : suspicati enim sunt populum fame et siti fatigari in deserto.
| 2 Samuel 17 Text (KJV)
- Moreover Ahithophel said unto Absalom, Let me now choose out twelve thousand men, and I will arise and pursue after David this night:
- And I will come upon him while he is weary and weak handed, and will make him afraid: and all the people that are with him shall flee; and I will smite the king only:
- And I will bring back all the people unto thee: the man whom thou seekest is as if all returned: so all the people shall be in peace.
- And the saying pleased Absalom well, and all the elders of Israel.
- Then said Absalom, Call now Hushai the Archite also, and let us hear likewise what he saith.
- And when Hushai was come to Absalom, Absalom spake unto him, saying, Ahithophel hath spoken after this manner: shall we do after his saying? if not; speak thou.
- And Hushai said unto Absalom, The counsel that Ahithophel hath given is not good at this time.
- For, said Hushai, thou knowest thy father and his men, that they be mighty men, and they be chafed in their minds, as a bear robbed of her whelps in the field: and thy father is a man of war, and will not lodge with the people.
- Behold, he is hid now in some pit, or in some other place: and it will come to pass, when some of them be overthrown at the first, that whosoever heareth it will say, There is a slaughter among the people that follow Absalom.
- And he also that is valiant, whose heart is as the heart of a lion, shall utterly melt: for all Israel knoweth that thy father is a mighty man, and they which be with him are valiant men.
- Therefore I counsel that all Israel be generally gathered unto thee, from Dan even to Beer-sheba, as the sand that is by the sea for multitude; and that thou go to battle in thine own person.
- So shall we come upon him in some place where he shall be found, and we will light upon him as the dew falleth on the ground: and of him and of all the men that are with him there shall not be left so much as one.
- Moreover, if he be gotten into a city, then shall all Israel bring ropes to that city, and we will draw it into the river, until there be not one small stone found there.
- And Absalom and all the men of Israel said, The counsel of Hushai the Archite is better than the counsel of Ahithophel. For the LORD had appointed to defeat the good counsel of Ahithophel, to the intent that the LORD might bring evil upon Absalom.
- Then said Hushai unto Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, Thus and thus did Ahithophel counsel Absalom and the elders of Israel; and thus and thus have I counselled.
- Now therefore send quickly, and tell David, saying, Lodge not this night in the plains of the wilderness, but speedily pass over; lest the king be swallowed up, and all the people that are with him.
- Now Jonathan and Ahimaaz stayed by En-rogel; for they might not be seen to come into the city: and a wench went and told them; and they went and told king David.
- Nevertheless a lad saw them, and told Absalom: but they went both of them away quickly, and came to a man's house in Bahurim, which had a well in his court; whither they went down.
- And the woman took and spread a covering over the well's mouth, and spread ground corn thereon; and the thing was not known.
- And when Absalom's servants came to the woman to the house, they said, Where is Ahimaaz and Jonathan? And the woman said unto them, They be gone over the brook of water. And when they had sought and could not find them, they returned to Jerusalem.
- And it came to pass, after they were departed, that they came up out of the well, and went and told king David, and said unto David, Arise, and pass quickly over the water: for thus hath Ahithophel counselled against you.
- Then David arose, and all the people that were with him, and they passed over Jordan: by the morning light there lacked not one of them that was not gone over Jordan.
- And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father.
- Then David came to Mahanaim. And Absalom passed over Jordan, he and all the men of Israel with him.
- And Absalom made Amasa captain of the host instead of Joab: which Amasa was a man's son, whose name was Ithra an Israelite, that went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah Joab's mother.
- So Israel and Absalom pitched in the land of Gilead.
- And it came to pass, when David was come to Mahanaim, that Shobi the son of Nahash of Rabbah of the children of Ammon, and Machir the son of Ammiel of Lo-debar, and Barzillai the Gileadite of Rogelim,
- Brought beds, and basons, and earthen vessels, and wheat, and barley, and flour, and parched corn, and beans, and lentiles, and parched pulse,
- And honey, and butter, and sheep, and cheese of kine, for David, and for the people that were with him, to eat: for they said, The people is hungry, and weary, and thirsty, in the wilderness.