| Acts 9 - Versions
| Acts 9 Text (WEB)
- But Saul, still breathing threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
- and asked for letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
- As he traveled, it happened that he got close to Damascus, and suddenly a light from the sky shone around him.
- He fell on the earth, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
- He said, "Who are you, Lord?" The Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
- But rise up, and enter into the city, and you will be told what you must do."
- The men who traveled with him stood speechless, hearing the sound, but seeing no one.
- Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened, he saw no one. They led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
- He was without sight for three days, and neither ate nor drank.
- Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias. The Lord said to him in a vision, "Ananias!" He said, "Behold, it's me, Lord."
- The Lord said to him, "Arise, and go to the street which is called Straight, and inquire in the house of Judah for one named Saul, a man of Tarsus. For behold, he is praying,
- and in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in, and laying his hands on him, that he might receive his sight."
- But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he did to your saints at Jerusalem.
- Here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name."
- But the Lord said to him, "Go your way, for he is my chosen vessel to bear my name before the nations and kings, and the children of Israel.
- For I will show him how many things he must suffer for my name's sake."
- Ananias departed, and entered into the house. Laying his hands on him, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord, who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me, that you may receive your sight, and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
- Immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he received his sight. He arose and was baptized.
- He took food and was strengthened. Saul stayed several days with the disciples who were at Damascus.
- Immediately in the synagogues he proclaimed the Christ, that he is the Son of God.
- All who heard him were amazed, and said, "Isn't this he who in Jerusalem made havoc of those who called on this name? And he had come here intending to bring them bound before the chief priests!"
- But Saul increased more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived at Damascus, proving that this is the Christ.
- When many days were fulfilled, the Jews conspired together to kill him,
- but their plot became known to Saul. They watched the gates both day and night that they might kill him,
- but his disciples took him by night, and let him down through the wall, lowering him in a basket.
- When Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join himself to the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple.
- But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared to them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus.
- He was with them entering into Jerusalem,
- preaching boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus. He spoke and disputed against the Hellenists, but they were seeking to kill him.
- When the brothers knew it, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him off to Tarsus.
- So the assemblies throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace, and were built up. They were multiplied, walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit.
- It happened, as Peter went throughout all those parts, he came down also to the saints who lived at Lydda.
- There he found a certain man named Aeneas, who had been bedridden for eight years, because he was paralyzed.
- Peter said to him, "Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you. Get up and make your bed!" Immediately he arose.
- All who lived at Lydda and in Sharon saw him, and they turned to the Lord.
- Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which when translated, means Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and acts of mercy which she did.
- It happened in those days that she fell sick, and died. When they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room.
- As Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples, hearing that Peter was there, sent two men to him, imploring him not to delay in coming to them.
- Peter got up and went with them. When he had come, they brought him into the upper room. All the widows stood by him weeping, and showing the coats and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them.
- Peter put them all out, and kneeled down and prayed. Turning to the body, he said, "Tabitha, get up!" She opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter, she sat up.
- He gave her his hand, and raised her up. Calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive.
- And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed in the Lord.
- It happened, that he stayed many days in Joppa with one Simon, a tanner.
| Acts 9 Text (Hebrew)
- ושאול עודנו יפח זעם ורצח על תלמידי האדון ויבא אל הכהן הגדול׃
- וישאל מאתו מכתבים לדמשק אל בתי הכנסיות למען אשר יאסר את אשר ימצא בדרך ההיא אנשים או נשים ויביאם ירושלים׃
- ויהי הוא הלך וקרב לדמשק והנה פתאם נגה עליו מסביב אור מן השמים׃
- ויפל ארצה וישמע קול מדבר אליו שאול שאול למה תרדפני׃
- ויאמר מי אתה אדני ויאמר האדון אנכי ישוע אשר אתה רודף קשה לך לבעט בדרבנות׃
- והוא חרד ונבעת ויאמר אדני מה תחפץ ואעשה ויען האדון קום לך העירה ויאמר לך את אשר עליך לעשות׃
- והאנשים אשר הלכו אתו עמדו נאלמים כי שמעו את הקול ואיש לא הביטו׃
- ויקם שאול מן הארץ ובפתחו את עיניו לא ראה איש ויחזיקו בידו ויוליכהו לדמשק׃
- ויחשכו עיניו מראות שלשת ימים ולא אכל ולא שתה׃
- ותלמיד אחד היה בדמשק חנניה שמו ויאמר אליו האדון במחזה חנניה ויאמר הנני אדני׃
- ויאמר אליו האדון קום לך אל הרחוב הנקרא הישר ושאל בבית יהודה לאיש טרסי ושמו שאול כי הנה הוא מתפלל׃
- וירא במחזה והנה איש ושמו חנניה בא החדרה ושם עליו את ידו למען ישוב ויראה׃
- ויען חנניה ויאמר אדני שמעתי רבים מספרים על האיש הזה כמה רעות עשה לקדושיך בירושלים׃
- וגם פה רשיון יש לו מאת ראשי הכהנים לאסר את כל הקראים בשמך׃
- ויאמר אליו האדון לך כי כלי חפץ הוא לי לשאת את שמי לפני גוים ומלכים ולפני בני ישראל׃
- כי אני אראהו כמה יש לו לסבל למען שמי׃
- וילך חנניה ויבא הביתה וישם את ידיו עליו ויאמר שאול אחי האדון ישוע הנראה אליך בדרך אשר באת בה שלחני למען תשוב ותראה ותמלא רוח הקדש׃
- וכרגע נפלו מעל עיניו כמו קשקשים וישב פתאם לראות ויקם ויטבל׃
- ויאכל לחם ויחזק וישב שאול ימים אחדים עם התלמידים אשר בדמשק׃
- וימהר ויקרא בבתי הכנסיות את המשיח לאמר כי הוא הוא בן האלהים׃
- וישתוממו כל השמעים ויאמרו הלא זה הוא אשר האביד בירושלים את קראי השם הזה ולמען זאת בא הנה להביאם אסורים לפני ראשי הכהנים׃
- ושאול היה הולך וחזק ויהם את היהודים ישבי דמשק בהוכיחו כי זה הוא המשיח׃
- ויהי כי ארכו לו שם הימים ויועצו היהודים יחדו להמיתו׃
- ויודע לשאול ארבם והמה שמרו את השערים יומם ולילה למען ימיתהו׃
- ויקחו אתו התלמידים לילה ויורידהו בסל בעד החומה׃
- ויהי כבוא שאול ירושלימה ויבקש להלות אל התלמידים וייראו כלם מפניו ולא האמינו כי תלמיד הוא׃
- ויקח אתו בר נבא ויביאהו אל השליחים ויספר להם את אשר ראה בדרך את האדון וכי הוא דבר אליו ואיך בדמשק השמיע בבטחון את שם ישוע׃
- ויהי אתם יוצא ובא בירושלים׃
- ויקרא בבטחון בשם האדון ישוע וידבר ויתוכח גם עם היהודים היונים והם זממו להמיתו׃
- וישמעו האחים ויורידו אתו לקסרין וישלחהו אל טרסוס׃
- ויהי שלום לקהלות בכל מקמות יהודה והגליל ושמרון ותבנינה ותתהלכנה ביראת האדון ותרבינה בנחמת רוח הקדש׃
- ויהי בסבב פטרוס בכל המקמות וירד גם אל הקדושים אשר ישבו בלד׃
- וימצא שם איש שמו אניס והוא שכב על משכבו זה שמנה שנים והוא נכה אברים׃
- ויאמר אליו פטרוס אניס רפאך ישוע המשיח קום הצע לך אתה ויקם פתאם׃
- ויראו אותו כל ישבי לד והשרון ויפנו אל האדון׃
- ותלמידה ביפו ושמה טביתא תרגומו צביה והיא מלאה מעשים טובים וצדקות אשר עשתה׃
- ויהי בימים ההם ותחלה ותמת וירחצו אתה וישימוה בעליה׃
- ולד קרובה היא ליפו וישמעו התלמידים כי פטרוס שם וישלחו אליו שני אנשים ויפצרו בו לבלתי העצל לעבר אליהם׃
- ויקם פטרוס וילך אתם ובבאו העלהו אל העליה ותנשנה אליו כל האלמנות בוכיות ומראות לו את הכתנת ואת הבגדים אשר עשתה צביה בעודה עמהן׃
- ויוצא פטרוס את כלם החוצה ויכרע על ברכיו ויתפלל ויפן אל גויתה ויאמר טביתא קומי ותפתח את עיניה ותרא את פטרוס ותתעודד׃
- וישלח ידו ויקם אתה ויקרא את הקדושים ואת האלמנות ויעמד אתה חיה לפניהם׃
- ויודע הדבר בכל יפו ויאמינו רבים באדון׃
- ויואל לשבת ביפו ימים רבים עם בורסי אחד ושמו שמעון׃
| Acts 9 Text (Latin)
- Saulus autem adhuc spirans minarum, et cædis in discipulos Domini, accessit ad principem sacerdotum,
- et petiit ab eo epistolas in Damascum ad synagogas : ut si quos invenisset hujus viæ viros, ac mulieres, vinctos perduceret in Jerusalem.
- Et cum iter faceret, contigit ut appropinquaret Damasco : et subito circumfulsit eum lux de cælo.
- Et cadens in terram audivit vocem dicentem sibi : Saule, Saule, quid me persequeris ?
- Qui dixit : Quis es Domine ? Et ille : Ego sum Jesus, quem tu persequeris : durum est tibi contra stimulum calcitrare.
- Et tremens ac stupens dixit : Domine, quid me vis facere ?
- Et Dominus ad eum : Surge, et ingredere civitatem, et ibi dicetur tibi quid te oporteat facere. Viri autem illi, qui comitabantur cum eo, stabant stupefacti, audientes quidem vocem, neminem autem videntes.
- Surrexit autem Saulus de terra, apertisque oculis nihil videbat. Ad manus autem illum trahentes, introduxerunt Damascum.
- Et erat ibi tribus diebus non videns, et non manducavit, neque bibit.
- Erat autem quidam discipulus Damasci, nomine Ananias : et dixit ad illum in visu Dominus : Anania. At ille ait : Ecce ego, Domine.
- Et Dominus ad eum : Surge, et vade in vicum qui vocatur Rectus : et quære in domo Judæ Saulum nomine Tarsensem : ecce enim orat.
- (Et vidit virum Ananiam nomine, introëuntem, et imponentem sibi manus ut visum recipiat.)
- Respondit autem Ananias : Domine, audivi a multis de viro hoc, quanta mala fecerit sanctis tuis in Jerusalem :
- et hic habet potestatem a principibus sacerdotum alligandi omnes qui invocant nomen tuum.
- Dixit autem ad eum Dominus : Vade, quoniam vas electionis est mihi iste, ut portet nomen meum coram gentibus, et regibus, et filiis Israël.
- Ego enim ostendam illi quanta oporteat eum pro nomine meo pati.
- Et abiit Ananias, et introivit in domum : et imponens ei manus, dixit : Saule frater, Dominus misit me Jesus, qui apparuit tibi in via qua veniebas, ut videas, et implearis Spiritu Sancto.
- Et confestim ceciderunt ab oculis ejus, tamquam squamæ, et visum recepit : et surgens baptizatus est.
- Et cum accepisset cibum, confortatus est. Fuit autem cum discipulis qui erant Damasci, per dies aliquot.
- Et continuo in synagogis prædicabat Jesum, quoniam hic est Filius Dei.
- Stupebant autem omnes qui audiebant, et dicebant : Nonne hic est qui expugnabat in Jerusalem eos qui invocabant nomen istud : et huc ad hoc venit ut vinctos illos duceret ad principes sacerdotum ?
- Saulus autem multo magis convalescebat, et confundebat Judæos, qui habitabant Damasci, affirmans quoniam hic est Christus.
- Cum autem implerentur dies multi, consilium fecerunt in unum Judæi, ut eum interficerent.
- Notæ autem factæ sunt Saulo insidiæ eorum. Custodiebant autem et portas die ac nocte, ut eum interficerent.
- Accipientes autem eum discipuli nocte, per murum dimiserunt eum, submittentes in sporta.
- Cum autem venisset in Jerusalem, tentabat se jungere discipulis, et omnes timebant eum, non credentes quod esset discipulus.
- Barnabas autem apprehensum illum duxit ad Apostolos : et narravit illis quomodo in via vidisset Dominum, et quia locutus est ei, et quomodo in Damasco fiducialiter egerit in nomine Jesu.
- Et erat cum illis intrans et exiens in Jerusalem, et fiducialiter agens in nomine Domini.
- Loquebatur quoque gentibus, et disputabat cum Græcis : illi autem quærebant occidere eum.
- Quod cum cognovissent fratres, deduxerunt eum Cæsaream, et dimiserunt Tarsum.
- Ecclesia quidem per totam Judæam, et Galilæam, et Samariam habebat pacem, et ædificabatur ambulans in timore Domini, et consolatione Sancti Spiritus replebatur.
- Factum est autem, ut Petrus dum pertransiret universos, deveniret ad sanctos qui habitabant Lyddæ.
- Invenit autem ibi hominem quemdam, nomine Æneam, ab annis octo jacentem in grabato, qui erat paralyticus.
- Et ait illi Petrus : Ænea, sanat te Dominus Jesus Christus : surge, et sterne tibi. Et continuo surrexit.
- Et viderunt eum omnes qui habitabant Lyddæ et Saronæ : qui conversi sunt ad Dominum.
- In Joppe autem fuit quædam discipula, nomine Tabitha, quæ interpretata dicitur Dorcas. Hæc erat plena operibus bonis, et eleemosynis, quas faciebat.
- Factum est autem in diebus illis ut infirmata moreretur. Quam cum lavissent, posuerunt eam in cœnaculo.
- Cum autem prope esset Lydda ad Joppen, discipuli audientes quia Petrus esset in ea, miserunt duos viros ad eum, rogantes : Ne pigriteris venire ad nos.
- Exsurgens autem Petrus venit cum illis. Et cum advenisset, duxerunt illum in cœnaculum : et circumsteterunt illum omnes viduæ flentes, et ostendentes ei tunicas, et vestes, quas faciebat illis Dorcas.
- Ejectis autem omnibus foras, Petrus ponens genua oravit : et conversus ad corpus, dixit : Tabitha, surge. At illa aperuit oculos suos : et viso Petro, resedit.
- Dans autem illi manum, erexit eam. Et cum vocasset sanctos, et viduas, assignavit eam vivam.
- Notum autem factum est per universam Joppen : et crediderunt multi in Domino.
- Factum est autem ut dies multos moraretur in Joppe, apud Simonem quemdam coriarium.
| Acts 9 Text (KJV)
- And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,
- And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
- And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
- And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
- And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
- And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
- And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
- And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
- And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
- And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
- And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and inquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
- And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.
- Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
- And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
- But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
- For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
- And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
- And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
- And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
- And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God.
- But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests?
- But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews which dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is very Christ.
- And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him:
- But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him.
- Then the disciples took him by night, and let him down by the wall in a basket.
- And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: but they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple.
- But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.
- And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem.
- And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.
- Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus.
- Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
- And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.
- And there he found a certain man named Aeneas, which had kept his bed eight years, and was sick of the palsy.
- And Peter said unto him, Aeneas, Jesus Christ maketh thee whole: arise, and make thy bed. And he arose immediately.
- And all that dwelt at Lydda and Saron saw him, and turned to the Lord.
- Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.
- And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber.
- And forasmuch as Lydda was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them.
- Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them.
- But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.
- And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive.
- And it was known throughout all Joppa; and many believed in the Lord.
- And it came to pass, that he tarried many days in Joppa with one Simon a tanner.