|Deuteronomy 25 - Versions
|Deuteronomy 25 Text (WEB)
- If there be a controversy between men, and they come to judgment, and [the judges] judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked;
- and it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten before his face, according to his wickedness, by number.
- Forty stripes he may give him, he shall not exceed; lest, if he should exceed, and beat him above these with many stripes, then your brother should seem vile to you.
- You shall not muzzle the ox when he treads out [the grain].
- If brothers dwell together, and one of them die, and have no son, the wife of the dead shall not be married outside to a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in to her, and take her to him as wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her.
- It shall be, that the firstborn whom she bears shall succeed in the name of his brother who is dead, that his name not be blotted out of Israel.
- If the man doesn't want to take his brother's wife, then his brother's wife shall go up to the gate to the elders, and say, "My husband's brother refuses to raise up to his brother a name in Israel; he will not perform the duty of a husband's brother to me."
- Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak to him: and if he stand, and say, "I don't want to take her;"
- then his brother's wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face; and she shall answer and say, "So shall it be done to the man who does not build up his brother's house."
- His name shall be called in Israel, The house of him who has his shoe untied.
- When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draws near to deliver her husband out of the hand of him who strikes him, and puts forth her hand, and takes him by the secrets;
- then you shall cut off her hand, your eye shall have no pity.
- You shall not have in your bag diverse weights, a great and a small.
- You shall not have in your house diverse measures, a great and a small.
- You shall have a perfect and just weight. You shall have a perfect and just measure, that your days may be long in the land which Yahweh your God gives you.
- For all who do such things, [even] all who do unrighteously, are an abomination to Yahweh your God.
- Remember what Amalek did to you by the way as you came forth out of Egypt;
- how he met you by the way, and struck the hindmost of you, all who were feeble behind you, when you were faint and weary; and he didn't fear God.
- Therefore it shall be, when Yahweh your God has given you rest from all your enemies all around, in the land which Yahweh your God gives you for an inheritance to possess it, that you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under the sky; you shall not forget.
|Deuteronomy 25 Text (Hebrew)
- כי־יהיה ריב בין אנשים ונגשו אל־המשפט ושפטום והצדיקו את־הצדיק והרשיעו את־הרשע׃
- והיה אם־בן הכות הרשע והפילו השפט והכהו לפניו כדי רשעתו במספר׃
- ארבעים יכנו לא יסיף פן־יסיף להכתו על־אלה מכה רבה ונקלה אחיך לעיניך׃ ס
- לא־תחסם שור בדישו׃ ס
- כי־ישבו אחים יחדו ומת אחד מהם ובן אין־לו לא־תהיה אשת־המת החוצה לאיש זר יבמה יבא עליה ולקחה לו לאשה ויבמה׃
- והיה הבכור אשר תלד יקום על־שם אחיו המת ולא־ימחה שמו מישראל׃
- ואם־לא יחפץ האיש לקחת את־יבמתו ועלתה יבמתו השערה אל־הזקנים ואמרה מאין יבמי להקים לאחיו שם בישראל לא אבה יבמי׃
- וקראו־לו זקני־עירו ודברו אליו ועמד ואמר לא חפצתי לקחתה׃
- ונגשה יבמתו אליו לעיני הזקנים וחלצה נעלו מעל רגלו וירקה בפניו וענתה ואמרה ככה יעשה לאיש אשר לא־יבנה את־בית אחיו׃
- ונקרא שמו בישראל בית חלוץ הנעל׃ ס
- כי־ינצו אנשים יחדו איש ואחיו וקרבה אשת האחד להציל את־אישה מיד מכהו ושלחה ידה והחזיקה במבשיו׃
- וקצתה את־כפה לא תחוס עינך׃ ס
- לא־יהיה לך בכיסך אבן ואבן גדולה וקטנה׃ ס
- לא־יהיה לך בביתך איפה ואיפה גדולה וקטנה׃
- אבן שלמה וצדק יהיה־לך איפה שלמה וצדק יהיה־לך למען יאריכו ימיך על האדמה אשר־יהוה אלהיך נתן לך׃
- כי תועבת יהוה אלהיך כל־עשה אלה כל עשה עול׃ ף
- זכור את אשר־עשה לך עמלק בדרך בצאתכם ממצרים׃
- אשר קרך בדרך ויזנב בך כל־הנחשלים אחריך ואתה עיף ויגע ולא ירא אלהים׃
- והיה בהניח יהוה אלהיך לך מכל־איביך מסביב בארץ אשר יהוה־אלהיך נתן לך נחלה לרשתה תמחה את־זכר עמלק מתחת השמים לא תשכח׃ ף
|Deuteronomy 25 Text (Latin)
- Si fuerit causa inter aliquos, et interpellaverint judices : quem justum esse perspexerint, illi justitiæ palmam dabunt : quem impium, condemnabunt impietatis.
- Sin autem eum, qui peccavit, dignum viderint plagis : prosternent, et coram se facient verberari. Pro mensura peccati erit et plagarum modus :
- ita dumtaxat, ut quadragenarium numerum non excedant : ne fœde laceratus ante oculos tuos abeat frater tuus.
- Non ligabis os bovis terentis in area fruges tuas.
- Quando habitaverint fratres simul, et unus ex eis absque liberis mortuus fuerit, uxor defuncti non nubet alteri : sed accipiet eam frater ejus, et suscitabit semen fratris sui :
- et primogenitum ex ea filium nomine illius appellabit, ut non deleatur nomen ejus ex Israël.
- Sin autem noluerit accipere uxorem fratris sui, quæ ei lege debetur, perget mulier ad portam civitatis, et interpellabit majores natu, dicetque : Non vult frater viri mei suscitare nomen fratris sui in Israël, nec me in conjugem sumere.
- Statimque accersiri eum facient, et interrogabunt. Si responderit : Nolo eam uxorem accipere :
- accedet mulier ad eum coram senioribus, et tollet calceamentum de pede ejus, spuetque in faciem illius, et dicet : Sic fiet homini, qui non ædificat domum fratris sui.
- Et vocabitur nomen illius in Israël, Domus discalceati.
- Si habuerint inter se jurgium viri duo, et unus contra alterum rixari cœperit, volensque uxor alterius eruere virum suum de manu fortioris, miseritque manum, et apprehenderit verenda ejus :
- abscides manum illius, nec flecteris super eam ulla misericordia.
- Non habebis in sacculo diversa pondera, majus et minus :
- nec erit in domo tua modius major, et minor.
- Pondus habebis justum et verum, et modius æqualis et verus erit tibi : ut multo vivas tempore super terram, quam Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi.
- Abominatur enim Dominus tuus eum qui facit hæc, et aversatur omnem injustitiam.
- Memento quæ fecerit tibi Amalec in via quando egrediebaris ex Ægypto :
- quomodo occurrerit tibi, et extremos agminis tui, qui lassi residebant, ceciderit, quando tu eras fame et labore confectus : et non timuerit Deum.
- Cum ergo Dominus Deus tuus dederit tibi requiem, et subjecerit cunctas per circuitum nationes in terra, quam tibi pollicitus est : delebis nomen ejus sub cælo. Cave ne obliviscaris.
|Deuteronomy 25 Text (KJV)
- If there be a controversy between men, and they come unto judgment, that the judges may judge them; then they shall justify the righteous, and condemn the wicked.
- And it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten before his face, according to his fault, by a certain number.
- Forty stripes he may give him, and not exceed: lest, if he should exceed, and beat him above these with many stripes, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee.
- Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
- If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.
- And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel.
- And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.
- Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he stand to it, and say, I like not to take her;
- Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house.
- And his name shall be called in Israel, The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.
- When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:
- Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.
- Thou shalt not have in thy bag divers weights, a great and a small.
- Thou shalt not have in thine house divers measures, a great and a small.
- But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- For all that do such things, and all that do unrighteously, are an abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- Remember what Amalek did unto thee by the way, when ye were come forth out of Egypt;
- How he met thee by the way, and smote the hindmost of thee, even all that were feeble behind thee, when thou wast faint and weary; and he feared not God.
- Therefore it shall be, when the LORD thy God hath given thee rest from all thine enemies round about, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance to possess it, that thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it.