| Genesis 14 - Versions
| Genesis 14 Text (WEB)
- It happened in the days of Amraphel, king of Shinar, Arioch, king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer, king of Elam, and Tidal, king of Goiim,
- that they made war with Bera, king of Sodom, and with Birsha, king of Gomorrah, Shinab, king of Admah, and Shemeber, king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar).
- All these joined together in the valley of Siddim (the same is the Salt Sea).
- Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year, they rebelled.
- In the fourteenth year Chedorlaomer came, and the kings who were with him, and struck the Rephaim in Ashteroth Karnaim, and the Zuzim in Ham, and the Emim in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
- and the Horites in their Mount Seir, to Elparan, which is by the wilderness.
- They returned, and came to En Mishpat (the same is Kadesh), and struck all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that lived in Hazazon Tamar.
- The king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar) went out; and they set the battle in array against them in the valley of Siddim;
- against Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of Goiim, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings against the five.
- Now the valley of Siddim was full of tar pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and they fell there, and those who remained fled to the hills.
- They took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their food, and went their way.
- They took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who lived in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
- One who had escaped came and told Abram, the Hebrew. Now he lived by the oaks of Mamre, the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner; and these were allies of Abram.
- When Abram heard that his relative was taken captive, he led forth his trained men, born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued as far as Dan.
- He divided himself against them by night, he and his servants, and struck them, and pursued them to Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
- He brought back all the goods, and also brought back his relative, Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
- The king of Sodom went out to meet him, after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
- Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine: and he was priest of God Most High.
- He blessed him, and said, "Blessed be Abram of God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth:
- and blessed be God Most High, who has delivered your enemies into your hand." Abram gave him a tenth of all.
- The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give me the people, and take the goods to yourself."
- Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have lifted up my hand to Yahweh, God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth,
- that I will not take a thread nor a sandal strap nor anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich.'
- I will accept nothing from you except that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me: Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre. Let them take their portion."
| Genesis 14 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בימי אמרפל מלך־שנער אריוך מלך אלסר כדרלעמר מלך עילם ותדעל מלך גוים׃
- עשו מלחמה את־ברע מלך סדם ואת־ברשע מלך עמרה שנאב מלך אדמה ושמאבר מלך ומלך בלע היא־צער׃
- כל־אלה חברו אל־עמק השדים הוא ים המלח׃
- שתים עשרה שנה עבדו את־כדרלעמר ושלש־עשרה שנה מרדו׃
- ובארבע עשרה שנה בא כדרלעמר והמלכים אשר אתו ויכו את־רפאים בעשתרת קרנים ואת־הזוזים בהם ואת האימים בשוה קריתים׃
- ואת־החרי בהררם שעיר עד איל פארן אשר על־המדבר׃
- וישבו ויבאו אל־עין משפט הוא קדש ויכו את־כל־שדה העמלקי וגם את־האמרי הישב בחצצן תמר׃
- ויצא מלך־סדם ומלך עמרה ומלך אדמה ומלך ומלך בלע הוא־צער ויערכו אתם מלחמה בעמק השדים׃
- את כדרלעמר מלך עילם ותדעל מלך גוים ואמרפל מלך שנער ואריוך מלך אלסר ארבעה מלכים את־החמשה׃
- ועמק השדים בארת בארת חמר וינסו מלך־סדם ועמרה ויפלו־שמה והנשארים הרה נסו׃
- ויקחו את־כל־רכש סדם ועמרה ואת־כל־אכלם וילכו׃
- ויקחו את־לוט ואת־רכשו בן־אחי אברם וילכו והוא ישב בסדם׃
- ויבא הפליט ויגד לאברם העברי והוא שכן באלני ממרא האמרי אחי אשכל ואחי ענר והם בעלי ברית־אברם׃
- וישמע אברם כי נשבה אחיו וירק את־חניכיו ילידי ביתו שמנה עשר ושלש מאות וירדף עד־דן׃
- ויחלק עליהם לילה הוא ועבדיו ויכם וירדפם עד־חובה אשר משמאל לדמשק׃
- וישב את כל־הרכש וגם את־לוט אחיו ורכשו השיב וגם את־הנשים ואת־העם׃
- ויצא מלך־סדם לקראתו אחרי שובו מהכות את־כדר־לעמר ואת־המלכים אשר אתו אל־עמק שוה הוא עמק המלך׃
- ומלכי־צדק מלך שלם הוציא לחם ויין והוא כהן לאל עליון׃
- ויברכהו ויאמר ברוך אברם לאל עליון קנה שמים וארץ׃
- וברוך אל עליון אשר־מגן צריך בידך ויתן־לו מעשר מכל׃
- ויאמר מלך־סדם אל־אברם תן־לי הנפש והרכש קח־לך׃
- ויאמר אברם אל־מלך סדם הרימתי ידי אל־יהוה אל עליון קנה שמים וארץ׃
- אם־מחוט ועד שרוך־נעל ואם־אקח מכל־אשר־לך ולא תאמר אני העשרתי את־אברם׃
- בלעדי רק אשר אכלו הנערים וחלק האנשים אשר הלכו אתי ענר אשכל וממרא הם יקחו חלקם׃ ס
| Genesis 14 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem in illo tempore, ut Amraphel rex Senaar, et Arioch rex Ponti, et Chodorlahomor rex Elamitarum, et Thadal rex Gentium
- inirent bellum contra Bara regem Sodomorum, et contra Bersa regem Gomorrhæ, et contra Sennaab regem Adamæ, et contra Semeber regem Seboim, contraque regem Balæ, ipsa est Segor.
- Omnes hi convenerunt in vallem Silvestrem, quæ nunc est mare salis.
- Duodecim enim annis servierunt Chodorlahomor, et tertiodecimo anno recesserunt ab eo.
- Igitur quartodecimo anno venit Chodorlahomor, et reges qui erant cum eo : percusseruntque Raphaim in Astarothcarnaim, et Zuzim cum eis, et Emim in Save Cariathaim,
- et Chorræos in montibus Seir, usque ad Campestria Pharan, quæ est in solitudine.
- Reversique sunt, et venerunt ad fontem Misphat, ipsa est Cades : et percusserunt omnem regionem Amalecitarum, et Amorrhæum, qui habitabat in Asasonthamar.
- Et egressi sunt rex Sodomorum, et rex Gomorrhæ, rexque Adamæ, et rex Seboim, necnon et rex Balæ, quæ est Segor : et direxerunt aciem contra eos in valle Silvestri :
- scilicet adversus Chodorlahomor regem Elamitarum, et Thadal regem Gentium, et Amraphel regem Sennaar, et Arioch regem Ponti : quatuor reges adversus quinque.
- Vallis autem Silvestris habebat puteos multos bituminis. Itaque rex Sodomorum, et Gomorrhæ, terga verterunt, cecideruntque ibi : et qui remanserant, fugerunt ad montem.
- Tulerunt autem omnem substantiam Sodomorum et Gomorrhæ, et universa quæ ad cibum pertinent, et abierunt :
- necnon et Lot, et substantiam ejus, filium fratris Abram, qui habitabat in Sodomis.
- Et ecce unus, qui evaserat, nuntiavit Abram Hebræo, qui habitabat in convalle Mambre Amorrhæi, fratris Escol, et fratris Aner : hi enim pepigerant fœdus cum Abram.
- Quod cum audisset Abram, captum videlicet Lot fratrem suum, numeravit expeditos vernaculos suos trecentos decem et octo : et persecutus est usque Dan.
- Et divisis sociis, irruit super eos nocte : percussitque eos, et persecutus est eos usque Hoba, quæ est ad lævam Damasci.
- Reduxitque omnem substantiam, et Lot fratrem suum cum substantia illius, mulieres quoque et populum.
- Egressus est autem rex Sodomorum in occursum ejus postquam reversus est a cæde Chodorlahomor, et regum qui cum eo erant in valle Save, quæ est vallis regis.
- At vero Melchisedech rex Salem, proferens panem et vinum, erat enim sacerdos Dei altissimi,
- benedixit ei, et ait : Benedictus Abram Deo excelso, qui creavit cælum et terram :
- et benedictus Deus excelsus, quo protegente, hostes in manibus tuis sunt. Et dedit ei decimas ex omnibus.
- Dixit autem rex Sodomorum ad Abram : Da mihi animas, cetera tolle tibi.
- Qui respondit ei : Levo manum meam ad Dominum Deum excelsum possessorem cæli et terræ,
- quod a filo subtegminis usque ad corigiam caligæ, non accipiam ex omnibus quæ tua sunt, ne dicas : Ego ditavi Abram :
- exceptis his, quæ comederunt juvenes, et partibus virorum, qui venerunt mecum, Aner, Escol et Mambre : isti accipient partes suas.
| Genesis 14 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
- That these made war with Bera king of Sodom, and with Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, and Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela, which is Zoar.
- All these were joined together in the vale of Siddim, which is the salt sea.
- Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.
- And in the fourteenth year came Chedorlaomer, and the kings that were with him, and smote the Rephaims in Ashteroth Karnaim, and the Zuzims in Ham, and the Emims in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
- And the Horites in their mount Seir, unto El-paran, which is by the wilderness.
- And they returned, and came to En-mishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites that dwelt in Hazezon-tamar.
- And there went out the king of Sodom, and the king of Gomorrah, and the king of Admah, and the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (the same is Zoar;) and they joined battle with them in the vale of Siddim;
- With Chedorlaomer the king of Elam, and with Tidal king of nations, and Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar; four kings with five.
- And the vale of Siddim was full of slimepits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and fell there; and they that remained fled to the mountain.
- And they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their victuals, and went their way.
- And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
- And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eschol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram.
- And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan.
- And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus.
- And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.
- And the king of Sodom went out to meet him after his return from the slaughter of Chedorlaomer, and of the kings that were with him, at the valley of Shaveh, which is the king's dale.
- And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
- And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
- And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
- And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.
- And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
- That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
- Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.