| Genesis 17 - Versions
| Genesis 17 Text (WEB)
- When Abram was ninety-nine years old, Yahweh appeared to Abram, and said to him, "I am God Almighty. Walk before me, and be blameless.
- I will make my covenant between me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly."
- Abram fell on his face. God talked with him, saying,
- "As for me, behold, my covenant is with you. You will be the father of a multitude of nations.
- Neither will your name any more be called Abram, but your name will be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
- I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you. Kings will come out of you.
- I will establish my covenant between me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you.
- I will give to you, and to your seed after you, the land where you are traveling, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession. I will be their God."
- God said to Abraham, "As for you, you will keep my covenant, you and your seed after you throughout their generations.
- This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your seed after you. Every male among you shall be circumcised.
- You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin. It will be a token of the covenant between me and you.
- He who is eight days old will be circumcised among you, every male throughout your generations, he who is born in the house, or bought with money from any foreigner who is not of your seed.
- He who is born in your house, and he who is bought with your money, must be circumcised. My covenant will be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
- The uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant."
- God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but her name will be Sarah.
- I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. Yes, I will bless her, and she will be a mother of nations. Kings of peoples will come from her."
- Then Abraham fell on his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to him who is one hundred years old? Will Sarah, who is ninety years old, give birth?"
- Abraham said to God, "Oh that Ishmael might live before you!"
- God said, "No, but Sarah, your wife, will bear you a son. You shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him.
- As for Ishmael, I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.
- But my covenant I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this set time next year."
- When he finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham.
- Abraham took Ishmael his son, all who were born in his house, and all who were bought with his money; every male among the men of Abraham's house, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the same day, as God had said to him.
- Abraham was ninety-nine years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- Ishmael, his son, was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- In the same day both Abraham and Ishmael, his son, were circumcised.
- All the men of his house, those born in the house, and those bought with money of a foreigner, were circumcised with him.
| Genesis 17 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי אברם בן־תשעים שנה ותשע שנים וירא יהוה אל־אברם ויאמר אליו אני־אל שדי התהלך לפני והיה תמים׃
- ואתנה בריתי ביני ובינך וארבה אותך במאד מאד׃
- ויפל אברם על־פניו וידבר אתו אלהים לאמר׃
- אני הנה בריתי אתך והיית לאב המון גוים׃
- ולא־יקרא עוד את־שמך אברם והיה שמך אברהם כי אב־המון גוים נתתיך׃
- והפרתי אתך במאד מאד ונתתיך לגוים ומלכים ממך יצאו׃
- והקמתי את־בריתי ביני ובינך ובין זרעך אחריך לדרתם לברית עולם להיות לך לאלהים ולזרעך אחריך׃
- ונתתי לך ולזרעכ אחריך את ארץ מגריך את כל־ארץ כנען לאחזת עולם והייתי להם לאלהים׃
- ויאמר אלהים אל־אברהם ואתה את־בריתי תשמר אתה וזרעך אחריך לדרתם׃
- זאת בריתי אשר תשמרו ביני וביניכם ובין זרעך אחריך המול לכם כל־זכר׃
- ונמלתם את בשר ערלתכם והיה לאות ברית ביני וביניכם׃
- ובן־שמנת ימים ימול לכם כל־זכר לדרתיכם יליד בית ומקנת־כסף מכל בן־נכר אשר לא מזרעך הוא׃
- המול ימול יליד ביתך ומקנת כספך והיתה בריתי בבשרכם לברית עולם׃
- וערל זכר אשר לא־ימול את־בשר ערלתו ונכרתה הנפש ההוא מעמיה את־בריתי הפר׃ ס
- ויאמר אלהים אל־אברהם שרי אשתך לא־תקרא את־שמה שרי כי שרה שמה׃
- וברכתי אתה וגם נתתי ממנה לך בן וברכתיה והיתה לגוים מלכי עמים ממנה יהיו׃
- ויפל אברהם על־פניו ויצחק ויאמר בלבו הלבן מאה־שנה יולד ואם־שרה הבת־תשעים שנה תלד׃
- ויאמר אברהם אל־האלהים לו ישמעאל יחיה לפניך׃
- ויאמר אלהים אבל שרה אשתך ילדת לך בן וקראת את־שמו יצחק והקמתי את־בריתי אתו לברית עולם לזרעו אחריו׃
- ולישמעאל שמעתיך הנה ברכתי אתו והפריתי אתו והרביתי אתו במאד מאד שנים־עשר נשיאם יוליד ונתתיו לגוי גדול׃
- ואת־בריתי אקים את־יצחק אשר תלד לך שרה למועד הזה בשנה האחרת׃
- ויכל לדבר אתו ויעל אלהים מעל אברהם׃
- ויקח אברהם את־ישמעאל בנו ואת כל־ילידי ביתו ואת כל־מקנת כספו כל־זכר באנשי בית אברהם וימל את־בשר ערלתם בעצם היום הזה כאשר דבר אתו אלהים׃
- ואברהם בן־תשעים ותשע שנה בהמלו בשר ערלתו׃
- וישמעאל בנו בן־שלש עשרה שנה בהמלו את בשר ערלתו׃
- בעצם היום הזה נמול אברהם וישמעאל בנו׃
- וכל־אנשי ביתו יליד בית ומקנת־כסף מאת בן־נכר נמלו אתו׃ ף
| Genesis 17 Text (Latin)
- Postquam vero nonaginta et novem annorum esse cœperat, apparuit ei Dominus, dixitque ad eum : Ego Deus omnipotens : ambula coram me, et esto perfectus.
- Ponamque fœdus meum inter me et te, et multiplicabo te vehementer nimis.
- Cecidit Abram pronus in faciem.
- Dixitque ei Deus : Ego sum, et pactum meum tecum, erisque pater multarum gentium.
- Nec ultra vocabitur nomen tuum Abram, sed appellaberis Abraham : quia patrem multarum gentium constitui te.
- Faciamque te crescere vehementissime, et ponam te in gentibus, regesque ex te egredientur.
- Et statuam pactum meum inter me et te, et inter semen tuum post te in generationibus suis, fœdere sempiterno : ut sim Deus tuus, et seminis tui post te.
- Daboque tibi et semini tuo terram peregrinationis tuæ, omnem terram Chanaan in possessionem æternam, eroque Deus eorum.
- Dixit iterum Deus ad Abraham : Et tu ergo custodies pactum meum, et semen tuum post te in generationibus suis.
- Hoc est pactum meum quod observabitis inter me et vos, et semen tuum post te : circumcidetur ex vobis omne masculinum :
- et circumcidetis carnem præputii vestri, ut sit in signum fœderis inter me et vos.
- Infans octo dierum circumcidetur in vobis, omne masculinum in generationibus vestris : tam vernaculus, quam emptitius circumcidetur, et quicumque non fuerit de stirpe vestra :
- eritque pactum meum in carne vestra in fœdus æternum.
- Masculus, cujus præputii caro circumcisa non fuerit, delebitur anima illa de populo suo : quia pactum meum irritum fecit.
- Dixit quoque Deus ad Abraham : Sarai uxorem tuam non vocabis Sarai, sed Saram.
- Et benedicam ei, et ex illa dabo tibi filium cui benedicturus sum : eritque in nationes, et reges populorum orientur ex eo.
- Cecidit Abraham in faciem suam, et risit, dicens in corde suo : Putasne centenario nascetur filius ? et Sara nonagenaria pariet ?
- Dixitque ad Deum : Utinam Ismaël vivat coram te.
- Et ait Deus ad Abraham : Sara uxor tua pariet tibi filium, vocabisque nomen ejus Isaac, et constituam pactum meum illi in fœdus sempiternum, et semini ejus post eum.
- Super Ismaël quoque exaudivi te : ecce, benedicam ei, et augebo, et multiplicabo eum valde : duodecim duces generabit, et faciam illum in gentem magnam.
- Pactum vero meum statuam ad Isaac, quem pariet tibi Sara tempore isto in anno altero.
- Cumque finitus esset sermo loquentis cum eo, ascendit Deus ab Abraham.
- Tulit autem Abraham Ismaël filium suum, et omnes vernaculos domus suæ, universosque quos emerat, cunctos mares ex omnibus viris domus suæ : et circumcidit carnem præputii eorum statim in ipsa die, sicut præceperat ei Deus.
- Abraham nonaginta et novem erat annorum quando circumcidit carnem præputii sui.
- Et Ismaël filius tredecim annos impleverat tempore circumcisionis suæ.
- Eadem die circumcisus est Abraham et Ismaël filius ejus :
- et omnes viri domus illius, tam vernaculi, quam emptitii et alienigenæ pariter circumcisi sunt.
| Genesis 17 Text (KJV)
- And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
- And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
- And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
- As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
- Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
- And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
- And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
- And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
- And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
- This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
- And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
- And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
- He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
- And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
- And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.
- And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
- Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
- And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee!
- And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
- And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
- But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.
- And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham.
- And Abraham took Ishmael his son, and all that were born in his house, and all that were bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's house; and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the selfsame day, as God had said unto him.
- And Abraham was ninety years old and nine, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- And Ishmael his son was thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.
- In the selfsame day was Abraham circumcised, and Ishmael his son.
- And all the men of his house, born in the house, and bought with money of the stranger, were circumcised with him.