| Genesis 19 - Versions
| Genesis 19 Text (WEB)
- The two angels came to Sodom at evening. Lot sat in the gate of Sodom. Lot saw them, and rose up to meet them. He bowed himself with his face to the earth,
- and he said, "See now, my lords, please turn aside into your servant's house, stay all night, wash your feet, and you can rise up early, and go on your way." They said, "No, but we will stay in the street all night."
- He urged them greatly, and they came in with him, and entered into his house. He made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.
- But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter.
- They called to Lot, and said to him, "Where are the men who came in to you this night? Bring them out to us, that we may have sex with them."
- Lot went out to them to the door, and shut the door after him.
- He said, "Please, my brothers, don't act so wickedly.
- See now, I have two virgin daughters. Please let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them what seems good to you. Only don't do anything to these men, because they have come under the shadow of my roof."
- They said, "Stand back!" Then they said, "This one fellow came in to live as a foreigner, and he appoints himself a judge. Now will we deal worse with you, than with them!" They pressed hard on the man Lot, and drew near to break the door.
- But the men put forth their hand, and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door.
- They struck the men who were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
- The men said to Lot, "Do you have anybody else here? Sons-in-law, your sons, your daughters, and whoever you have in the city, bring them out of the place:
- for we will destroy this place, because the outcry against them has grown great before Yahweh that Yahweh has sent us to destroy it."
- Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters, and said, "Get up! Get out of this place, for Yahweh will destroy the city." But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be joking.
- When the morning came, then the angels hurried Lot, saying, "Get up! Take your wife, and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the iniquity of the city."
- But he lingered; and the men grabbed his hand, his wife's hand, and his two daughters' hands, Yahweh being merciful to him; and they took him out, and set him outside of the city.
- It came to pass, when they had taken them out, that he said, "Escape for your life! Don't look behind you, and don't stay anywhere in the plain. Escape to the mountains, lest you be consumed!"
- Lot said to them, "Oh, not so, my lord.
- See now, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have magnified your loving kindness, which you have shown to me in saving my life. I can't escape to the mountain, lest evil overtake me, and I die.
- See now, this city is near to flee to, and it is a little one. Oh let me escape there (isn't it a little one?), and my soul will live."
- He said to him, "Behold, I have granted your request concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow the city of which you have spoken.
- Hurry, escape there, for I can't do anything until you get there." Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.
- The sun had risen on the earth when Lot came to Zoar.
- Then Yahweh rained on Sodom and on Gomorrah sulfur and fire from Yahweh out of the sky.
- He overthrew those cities, all the plain, all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew on the ground.
- But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
- Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he had stood before Yahweh.
- He looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and looked, and saw that the smoke of the land went up as the smoke of a furnace.
- It happened, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the middle of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in which Lot lived.
- Lot went up out of Zoar, and lived in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he was afraid to live in Zoar. He lived in a cave with his two daughters.
- The firstborn said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in to us in the way of all the earth.
- Come, let's make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve our father's seed."
- They made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father. He didn't know when she lay down, nor when she arose.
- It came to pass on the next day, that the firstborn said to the younger, "Behold, I lay last night with my father. Let us make him drink wine again, tonight. You go in, and lie with him, that we may preserve our father's seed."
- They made their father drink wine that night also. The younger went and lay with him. He didn't know when she lay down, nor when she got up.
- Thus both of Lot's daughters were with child by their father.
- The firstborn bore a son, and named him Moab. He is the father of the Moabites to this day.
- The younger also bore a son, and called his name Ben Ammi. He is the father of the children of Ammon to this day.
| Genesis 19 Text (Hebrew)
- ויבאו שני המלאכים סדמה בערב ולוט ישב בשער־סדם וירא־לוט ויקם לקראתם וישתחו אפים ארצה׃
- ויאמר הנה נא־אדני סורו נא אל־בית עבדכם ולינו ורחצו רגליכם והשכמתם והלכתם לדרככם ויאמרו לא כי ברחוב נלין׃
- ויפצר־בם מאד ויסרו אליו ויבאו אל־ביתו ויעש להם משתה ומצות אפה ויאכלו׃
- טרם ישכבו ואנשי העיר אנשי סדם נסבו על־הבית מנער ועד־זקן כל־העם מקצה׃
- ויקראו אל־לוט ויאמרו לו איה האנשימ אשר־באו אליך הלילה הוציאם אלינו ונדעה אתם׃
- ויצא אלהם לוט הפתחה והדלת סגר אחריו׃
- ויאמר אל־נא אחי תרעו׃
- הנה־נא לי שתי בנות אשר לא־ידעו איש אוציאה־נא אתהן אליכם ועשו להן כטוב בעיניכם רק לאנשים האל אל־תעשו דבר כי־על־כן באו בצל קרתי׃
- ויאמרו גש־הלאה ויאמרו האחד בא־לגור וישפט שפוט עתה נרע לך מהם ויפצרו באיש בלוט מאד ויגשו לשבר הדלת׃
- וישלחו האנשים את־ידם ויביאו את־לוט אליהם הביתה ואת־הדלת סגרו׃
- ואת־האנשים אשר־פתח הבית הכו בסנורים מקטן ועד־גדול וילאו למצא הפתח׃
- ויאמרו האנשים אל־לוט עד מי־לך פה חתן ובניך ובנתיך וכל אשר־לך בעיר הוצא מן־המקום׃
- כי־משחתים אנחנו את־המקום הזה כי־גדלה צעקתם את־פני יהוה וישלחנו יהוה לשחתה׃
- ויצא לוט וידבר אל־חתניו לקחי בנתיו ויאמר קומו צאו מן־המקום הזה כי־משחית יהוה את־העיר ויהי כמצחק בעיני חתניו׃
- וכמו השחר עלה ויאיצו המלאכים בלוט לאמר קום קח את־אשתך ואת־שתי בנתיך הנמצאת פן־תספה בעון העיר׃
- ויתמהמה ויחזקו האנשים בידו וביד־אשתו וביד שתי בנתיו בחמלת יהוה עליו ויצאהו וינחהו מחוץ לעיר׃
- ויהי כהוציאם אתם החוצה ויאמר המלט על־נפשך אל־תביט אחריך ואל־תעמד בכל־הככר ההרה המלט פן־תספה׃
- ויאמר לוט אלהם אל־נא אדני׃
- הנה־נא מצא עבדך חן בעיניך ותגדל חסדך אשר עשית עמדי להחיות את־נפשי ואנכי לא אוכל להמלט ההרה פן־תדבקני הרעה ומתי׃
- הנה־נא העיר הזאת קרבה לנוס שמה והיא מצער אמלטה נא שמה הלא מצער הוא ותחי נפשי׃
- ויאמר אליו הנה נשאתי פניך גם לדבר הזה לבלתי הפכי את־העיר אשר דברת׃
- מהר המלט שמה כי לא אוכל לעשות דבר עד־באך שמה על־כן קרא שם־העיר צוער׃
- השמש יצא על־הארץ ולוט בא צערה׃
- ויהוה המטיר על־סדם ועל־עמרה גפרית ואש מאת יהוה מן־השמים׃
- ויהפך את־הערים האל ואת כל־הככר ואת כל־ישבי הערים וצמח האדמה׃
- ותבט אשתו מאחריו ותהי נציב מלח׃
- וישכם אברהם בבקר אל־המקום אשר־עמד שם את־פני יהוה׃
- וישקף על־פני סדם ועמרה ועל־כל־פני ארץ הככר וירא והנה עלה קיטר הארץ כקיטר הכבשן׃
- ויהי בשחת אלהים את־ערי הככר ויזכר אלהים את־אברהם וישלח את־לוט מתוך ההפכה בהפך את־הערים אשר־ישב בהן לוט׃
- ויעל לוט מצוער וישב בהר ושתי בנתיו עמו כי ירא לשבת בצוער וישב במערה הוא ושתי בנתיו׃
- ותאמר הבכירה אל־הצעירה אבינו זקן ואיש אין בארץ לבוא עלינו כדרך כל־הארץ׃
- לכה נשקה את־אבינו יין ונשכבה עמו ונחיה מאבינו זרע׃
- ותשקין את־אביהן יין בלילה הוא ותבא הבכירה ותשכב את־אביה ולא־ידע בשכבה ובקומה׃
- ויהי ממחרת ותאמר הבכירה אל־הצעירה הן־שכבתי אמש את־אבי נשקנו יין גם־הלילה ובאי שכבי עמו ונחיה מאבינו זרע׃
- ותשקין גם בלילה ההוא את־אביהן יין ותקם הצעירה ותשכב עמו ולא־ידע בשכבה ובקמה׃
- ותהרין שתי בנות־לוט מאביהן׃
- ותלד הבכירה בן ותקרא שמו מואב הוא אבי־מואב עד־היום׃
- והצעירה גם־הוא ילדה בן ותקרא שמו בן־עמי הוא אבי בני־עמון עד־היום׃ ס
| Genesis 19 Text (Latin)
- Veneruntque duo angeli Sodomam vespere, et sedente Lot in foribus civitatis. Qui cum vidisset eos, surrexit, et ivit obviam eis : adoravitque pronus in terram,
- et dixit : Obsecro, domini, declinate in domum pueri vestri, et manete ibi : lavate pedes vestros, et mane proficiscemini in viam vestram. Qui dixerunt : Minime, sed in platea manebimus.
- Compulit illos oppido ut diverterent ad eum : ingressisque domum illius fecit convivium, et coxit azyma, et comederunt.
- Prius autem quam irent cubitum, viri civitatis vallaverunt domum a puero usque ad senem, omnis populus simul.
- Vocaveruntque Lot, et dixerunt ei : Ubi sunt viri qui introierunt ad te nocte ? educ illos huc, ut cognoscamus eos.
- Egressus ad eos Lot, post tergum occludens ostium, ait :
- Nolite, quæso, fratres mei, nolite malum hoc facere.
- Habeo duas filias, quæ necdum cognoverunt virum : educam eas ad vos, et abutimini eis sicut vobis placuerit, dummodo viris istis nihil mali faciatis, quia ingressi sunt sub umbra culminis mei.
- At illi dixerunt : Recede illuc. Et rursus : Ingressus es, inquiunt, ut advena ; numquid ut judices ? te ergo ipsum magis quam hos affligemus. Vimque faciebant Lot vehementissime : jamque prope erat ut effringerent fores.
- Et ecce miserunt manum viri, et introduxerunt ad se Lot, clauseruntque ostium :
- et eos, qui foris erant, percusserunt cæcitate a minimo usque ad maximum, ita ut ostium invenire non possent.
- Dixerunt autem ad Lot : Habes hic quempiam tuorum ? generum, aut filios, aut filias, omnes, qui tui sunt, educ de urbe hac :
- delebimus enim locum istum, eo quod increverit clamor eorum coram Domino, qui misit nos ut perdamus illos.
- Egressus itaque Lot, locutus est ad generos suos qui accepturi erant filias ejus, et dixit : Surgite, egredimini de loco isto : quia delebit Dominus civitatem hanc. Et visus est eis quasi ludens loqui.
- Cumque esset mane, cogebant eum angeli, dicentes : Surge, tolle uxorem tuam, et duas filias quas habes : ne et tu pariter pereas in scelere civitatis.
- Dissimulante illo, apprehenderunt manum ejus, et manum uxoris, ac duarum filiarum ejus, eo quod parceret Dominus illi.
- Eduxeruntque eum, et posuerunt extra civitatem : ibique locuti sunt ad eum, dicentes : Salva animam tuam : noli respicere post tergum, nec stes in omni circa regione : sed in monte salvum te fac, ne et tu simul pereas.
- Dixitque Lot ad eos : Quæso, domine mi,
- quia invenit servus tuus gratiam coram te, et magnificasti misericordiam tuam quam fecisti mecum, ut salvares animam meam, nec possum in monte salvari, ne forte apprehendat me malum, et moriar :
- est civitas hæc juxta, ad quam possum fugere, parva, et salvabor in ea : numquid non modica est, et vivet anima mea ?
- Dixitque ad eum : Ecce etiam in hoc suscepi preces tuas, ut non subvertam urbem pro qua locutus es.
- Festina, et salvare ibi : quia non potero facere quidquam donec ingrediaris illuc. Idcirco vocatum est nomen urbis illius Segor.
- Sol egressus est super terram, et Lot ingressus est Segor.
- Igitur Dominus pluit super Sodomam et Gomorrham sulphur et ignem a Domino de cælo :
- et subvertit civitates has, et omnem circa regionem, universos habitatores urbium, et cuncta terræ virentia.
- Respiciensque uxor ejus post se, versa est in statuam salis.
- Abraham autem consurgens mane, ubi steterat prius cum Domino,
- intuitus est Sodomam et Gomorrham, et universam terram regionis illius : viditque ascendentem favillam de terra quasi fornacis fumum.
- Cum enim subverteret Deus civitates regionis illius, recordatus Abrahæ, liberavit Lot de subversione urbium in quibus habitaverat.
- Ascenditque Lot de Segor, et mansit in monte, duæ quoque filiæ ejus cum eo (timuerat enim manere in Segor) et mansit in spelunca ipse, et duæ filiæ ejus cum eo.
- Dixitque major ad minorem : Pater noster senex est, et nullus virorum remansit in terra, qui possit ingredi ad nos juxta morem universæ terræ.
- Veni, inebriemus eum vino, dormiamusque cum eo, ut servare possimus ex patre nostro semen.
- Dederunt itaque patri suo bibere vinum nocte illa. Et ingressa est major, dormivitque cum patre ; at ille non sensit, nec quando accubuit filia, nec quando surrexit.
- Altera quoque die dixit major ad minorem : Ecce dormivi heri cum patre meo, demus ei bibere vinum etiam hac nocte, et dormies cum eo, ut salvemus semen de patre nostro.
- Dederunt etiam et illa nocte patri suo bibere vinum, ingressaque minor filia, dormivit cum eo : et ne tunc quidem sensit quando concubuerit, vel quando illa surrexerit.
- Conceperunt ergo duæ filiæ Lot de patre suo.
- Peperitque major filium, et vocavit nomen ejus Moab : ipse est pater Moabitarum usque in præsentem diem.
- Minor quoque peperit filium, et vocavit nomen ejus Ammon, id est, Filius populi mei : ipse est pater Ammonitarum usque hodie.
| Genesis 19 Text (KJV)
- And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
- And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
- And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
- But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
- And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
- And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
- And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
- Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
- And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
- But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
- And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
- And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:
- For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.
- And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.
- And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
- And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.
- And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed.
- And Lot said unto them, Oh, not so, my Lord:
- Behold now, thy servant hath found grace in thy sight, and thou hast magnified thy mercy, which thou hast shewed unto me in saving my life; and I cannot escape to the mountain, lest some evil take me, and I die:
- Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
- And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
- Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.
- The sun was risen upon the earth when Lot entered into Zoar.
- Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
- And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.
- But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
- And Abraham gat up early in the morning to the place where he stood before the LORD:
- And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.
- And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in the which Lot dwelt.
- And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.
- And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:
- Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.
- And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
- And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our Father.
- And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.
- Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.
- And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.
- And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.