| Genesis 21 - Versions
| Genesis 21 Text (WEB)
- Yahweh visited Sarah as he had said, and Yahweh did to Sarah as he had spoken.
- Sarah conceived, and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
- Abraham called his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore to him, Isaac.
- Abraham circumcised his son, Isaac, when he was eight days old, as God had commanded him.
- Abraham was one hundred years old when his son, Isaac, was born to him.
- Sarah said, "God has made me laugh. Everyone who hears will laugh with me."
- She said, "Who would have said to Abraham, that Sarah would nurse children? For I have borne him a son in his old age."
- The child grew, and was weaned. Abraham made a great feast on the day that Isaac was weaned.
- Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom she had borne to Abraham, mocking.
- Therefore she said to Abraham, "Cast out this handmaid and her son! For the son of this handmaid will not be heir with my son, Isaac."
- The thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight on account of his son.
- God said to Abraham, "Don't let it be grievous in your sight because of the boy, and because of your handmaid. In all that Sarah says to you, listen to her voice. For from Isaac will your seed be called.
- I will also make a nation of the son of the handmaid, because he is your seed."
- Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread and a bottle of water, and gave it to Hagar, putting it on her shoulder; and gave her the child, and sent her away. She departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.
- The water in the bottle was spent, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
- She went and sat down opposite him, a good way off, about a bow shot away. For she said, "Don't let me see the death of the child." She sat over against him, and lifted up her voice, and wept.
- God heard the voice of the boy. The angel of God called to Hagar out of the sky, and said to her, "What ails you, Hagar? Don't be afraid. For God has heard the voice of the boy where he is.
- Get up, lift up the boy, and hold him in your hand. For I will make him a great nation."
- God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water. She went, filled the bottle with water, and gave the boy drink.
- God was with the boy, and he grew. He lived in the wilderness, and became, as he grew up, an archer.
- He lived in the wilderness of Paran. His mother took a wife for him out of the land of Egypt.
- It happened at that time, that Abimelech and Phicol the captain of his army spoke to Abraham, saying, "God is with you in all that you do.
- Now, therefore, swear to me here by God that you will not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son. But according to the kindness that I have done to you, you shall do to me, and to the land in which you have lived as a foreigner."
- Abraham said, "I will swear."
- Abraham complained to Abimelech because of a water well, which Abimelech's servants had violently taken away.
- Abimelech said, "I don't know who has done this thing. Neither did you tell me, neither did I hear of it, until today."
- Abraham took sheep and cattle, and gave them to Abimelech. Those two made a covenant.
- Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves.
- Abimelech said to Abraham, "What do these seven ewe lambs which you have set by themselves mean?"
- He said, "You shall take these seven ewe lambs from my hand, that it may be a witness to me, that I have dug this well."
- Therefore he called that place Beersheba, because they both swore there.
- So they made a covenant at Beersheba. Abimelech rose up with Phicol, the captain of his army, and they returned into the land of the Philistines.
- Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and called there on the name of Yahweh, the Everlasting God.
- Abraham lived as a foreigner in the land of the Philistines many days.
| Genesis 21 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהוה פקד את־שרה כאשר אמר ויעש יהוה לשרה כאשר דבר׃
- ותהר ותלד שרה לאברהם בן לזקניו למועד אשר־דבר אתו אלהים׃
- ויקרא אברהם את־שם־בנו הנולד־לו אשר־ילדה־לו שרה יצחק׃
- וימל אברהם את־יצחק בנו בן־שמנת ימים כאשר צוה אתו אלהים׃
- ואברהם בן־מאת שנה בהולד לו את יצחק בנו׃
- ותאמר שרה צחק עשה לי אלהים כל־השמע יצחק־לי׃
- ותאמר מי מלל לאברהם היניקה בנים שרה כי־ילדתי בן לזקניו׃
- ויגדל הילד ויגמל ויעש אברהם משתה גדול ביום הגמל את־יצחק׃
- ותרא שרה את־בן־הגר המצרית אשר־ילדה לאברהם מצחק׃
- ותאמר לאברהם גרש האמה הזאת ואת־בנה כי לא יירש בן־האמה הזאת עם־בני עם־יצחק׃
- וירע הדבר מאד בעיני אברהם על אודת בנו׃
- ויאמר אלהים אל־אברהם אל־ירע בעיניך על־הנער ועל־אמתך כל אשר תאמר אליך שרה שמע בקלה כי ביצחק יקרא לך זרע׃
- וגם את־בן־האמה לגוי אשימנו כי זרעך הוא׃
- וישכם אברהם בבקר ויקח־לחם וחמת מים ויתן אל־הגר שם על־שכמה ואת־הילד וישלחה ותלך ותתע במדבר באר שבע׃
- ויכלו המים מן־החמת ותשלך את־הילד תחת אחד השיחם׃
- ותלך ותשב לה מנגד הרחק כמטחוי קשת כי אמרה אל־אראה במות הילד ותשב מנגד ותשא את־קלה ותבך׃
- וישמע אלהים את־קול הנער ויקרא מלאך אלהים אל־הגר מן־השמים ויאמר לה מה־לך הגר אל־תיראי כי־שמע אלהים אל־קול הנער באשר הוא־שם׃
- קומי שאי את־הנער והחזיקי את־ידך בו כי־לגוי גדול אשימנו׃
- ויפקח אלהים את־עיניה ותרא באר מים ותלך ותמלא את־החמת מים ותשק את־הנער׃
- ויהי אלהים את־הנער ויגדל וישב במדבר ויהי רבה קשת׃
- וישב במדבר פארן ותקח־לו אמו אשה מארץ מצרים׃ ף
- ויהי בעת ההוא ויאמר אבימלך ופיכל שר־צבאו אל־אברהם לאמר אלהים עמך בכל אשר־אתה עשה׃
- ועתה השבעה לי באלהים הנה אם־תשקר לי ולניני ולנכדי כחסד אשר־עשיתי עמך תעשה עמדי ועם־הארץ אשר־גרתה בה׃
- ויאמר אברהם אנכי אשבע׃
- והוכח אברהם את־אבימלך על־אדות באר המים אשר גזלו עבדי אבימלך׃
- ויאמר אבימלך לא ידעתי מי עשה את־הדבר הזה וגם־אתה לא־הגדת לי וגם אנכי לא שמעתי בלתי היום׃
- ויקח אברהם צאן ובקר ויתן לאבימלך ויכרתו שניהם ברית׃
- ויצב אברהם את־שבע כבשת הצאן לבדהן׃
- ויאמר אבימלך אל־אברהם מה הנה שבע כבשת האלה אשר הצבת לבדנה׃
- ויאמר כי את־שבע כבשת תקח מידי בעבור תהיה־לי לעדה כי חפרתי את־הבאר הזאת׃
- על־כן קרא למקום ההוא באר שבע כי שם נשבעו שניהם׃
- ויכרתו ברית בבאר שבע ויקם אבימלך ופיכל שר־צבאו וישבו אל־ארץ פלשתים׃
- ויטע אשל בבאר שבע ויקרא־שם בשם יהוה אל עולם׃
- ויגר אברהם בארץ פלשתים ימים רבים׃ ף
| Genesis 21 Text (Latin)
- Visitavit autem Dominus Saram, sicut promiserat : et implevit quæ locutus est.
- Concepitque et peperit filium in senectute sua, tempore quo prædixerat ei Deus.
- Vocavitque Abraham nomen filii sui, quem genuit ei Sara, Isaac :
- et circumcidit eum octavo die, sicut præceperat ei Deus,
- cum centum esset annorum : hac quippe ætate patris, natus est Isaac.
- Dixitque Sara : Risum fecit mihi Deus : quicumque audierit, corridebit mihi.
- Rursumque ait : Quis auditurus crederet Abraham quod Sara lactaret filium, quem peperit et jam seni ?
- Crevit igitur puer, et ablactatus est : fecitque Abraham grande convivium in die ablactationis ejus.
- Cumque vidisset Sara filium Agar Ægyptiæ ludentem cum Isaac filio suo, dixit ad Abraham :
- Ejice ancillam hanc, et filium ejus : non enim erit hæres filius ancillæ cum filio meo Isaac.
- Dure accepit hoc Abraham pro filio suo.
- Cui dixit Deus : Non tibi videatur asperum super puero, et super ancilla tua : omnia quæ dixerit tibi Sara, audi vocem ejus : quia in Isaac vocabitur tibi semen.
- Sed et filium ancillæ faciam in gentem magnam, quia semen tuum est.
- Surrexit itaque Abraham mane, et tollens panem et utrem aquæ, imposuit scapulæ ejus, tradiditque puerum, et dimisit eam. Quæ cum abiisset, errabat in solitudine Bersabee.
- Cumque consumpta esset aqua in utre, abjecit puerum subter unam arborum, quæ ibi erant.
- Et abiit, seditque e regione procul quantum potest arcus jacere : dixit enim : Non videbo morientem puerum : et sedens contra, levavit vocem suam et flevit.
- Exaudivit autem Deus vocem pueri : vocavitque angelus Dei Agar de cælo, dicens : Quid agis Agar ? noli timere : exaudivit enim Deus vocem pueri de loco in quo est.
- Surge, tolle puerum, et tene manum illius : quia in gentem magnam faciam eum.
- Aperuitque oculos ejus Deus : quæ videns puteum aquæ, abiit, et implevit utrem, deditque puero bibere.
- Et fuit cum eo : qui crevit, et moratus est in solitudine, factusque est juvenis sagittarius.
- Habitavitque in deserto Pharan, et accepit illi mater sua uxorem de terra Ægypti.
- Eodem tempore dixit Abimelech, et Phicol princeps exercitus ejus, ad Abraham : Deus tecum est in universis quæ agis.
- Jura ergo per Deum, ne noceas mihi, et posteris meis, stirpique meæ : sed juxta misericordiam, quam feci tibi, facies mihi, et terræ in qua versatus es advena.
- Dixitque Abraham : Ego jurabo.
- Et increpavit Abimelech propter puteum aquæ quem vi abstulerunt servi ejus.
- Responditque Abimelech : Nescivi quis fecerit hanc rem : sed et tu non indicasti mihi, et ego non audivi præter hodie.
- Tulit itaque Abraham oves et boves, et dedit Abimelech : percusseruntque ambo fœdus.
- Et statuit Abraham septem agnas gregis seorsum.
- Cui dixit Abimelech : Quid sibi volunt septem agnæ istæ, quas stare fecisti seorsum ?
- At ille : Septem, inquit, agnas accipies de manu mea : ut sint mihi in testimonium, quoniam ego fodi puteum istum.
- Idcirco vocatus est locus ille Bersabee : quia ibi uterque juravit.
- Et inierunt fœdus pro puteo juramenti.
- Surrexit autem Abimelech, et Phicol princeps exercitus ejus, reversique sunt in terram Palæstinorum. Abraham vero plantavit nemus in Bersabee, et invocavit ibi nomen Domini Dei æterni.
- Et fuit colonus terræ Palæstinorum diebus multis.
| Genesis 21 Text (KJV)
- And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken.
- For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
- And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac.
- And Abraham circumcised his son Isaac being eight days old, as God had commanded him.
- And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
- And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.
- And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age.
- And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned.
- And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.
- Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
- And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son.
- And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
- And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
- And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beer-sheba.
- And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs.
- And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept.
- And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
- Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.
- And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink.
- And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
- And he dwelt in the wilderness of Paran: and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt.
- And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief captain of his host spake unto Abraham, saying, God is with thee in all that thou doest:
- Now therefore swear unto me here by God that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son: but according to the kindness that I have done unto thee, thou shalt do unto me, and to the land wherein thou hast sojourned.
- And Abraham said, I will swear.
- And Abraham reproved Abimelech because of a well of water, which Abimelech's servants had violently taken away.
- And Abimelech said, I wot not who hath done this thing: neither didst thou tell me, neither yet heard I of it, but to day.
- And Abraham took sheep and oxen, and gave them unto Abimelech; and both of them made a covenant.
- And Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves.
- And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves?
- And he said, For these seven ewe lambs shalt thou take of my hand, that they may be a witness unto me, that I have digged this well.
- Wherefore he called that place Beer-sheba; because there they sware both of them.
- Thus they made a covenant at Beer-sheba: then Abimelech rose up, and Phichol the chief captain of his host, and they returned into the land of the Philistines.
- And Abraham planted a grove in Beer-sheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
- And Abraham sojourned in the Philistines' land many days.