| Genesis 29 - Versions
| Genesis 29 Text (WEB)
- Then Jacob went on his journey, and came to the land of the children of the east.
- He looked, and behold, a well in the field, and, behold, three flocks of sheep lying there by it. For out of that well they watered the flocks. The stone on the well's mouth was large.
- There all the flocks were gathered. They rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the sheep, and put the stone again on the well's mouth in its place.
- Jacob said to them, "My relatives, where are you from?" They said, "We are from Haran."
- He said to them, "Do you know Laban, the son of Nahor?" They said, "We know him."
- He said to them, "Is it well with him?" They said, "It is well. See, Rachel, his daughter, is coming with the sheep."
- He said, "Behold, it is still the middle of the day, not time to gather the livestock together. Water the sheep, and go and feed them."
- They said, "We can't, until all the flocks are gathered together, and they roll the stone from the well's mouth. Then we water the sheep."
- While he was yet speaking with them, Rachel came with her father's sheep, for she kept them.
- It happened, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban, his mother's brother, and the sheep of Laban, his mother's brother, that Jacob went near, and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother's brother.
- Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept.
- Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's brother, and that he was Rebekah's son. She ran and told her father.
- It happened, when Laban heard the news of Jacob, his sister's son, that he ran to meet Jacob, and embraced him, and kissed him, and brought him to his house. Jacob told Laban all these things.
- Laban said to him, "Surely you are my bone and my flesh." He lived with him for a month.
- Laban said to Jacob, "Because you are my brother, should you therefore serve me for nothing? Tell me, what will your wages be?"
- Laban had two daughters. The name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
- Leah's eyes were weak, but Rachel was beautiful in form and attractive.
- Jacob loved Rachel. He said, "I will serve you seven years for Rachel, your younger daughter."
- Laban said, "It is better that I give her to you, than that I should give her to another man. Stay with me."
- Jacob served seven years for Rachel. They seemed to him but a few days, for the love he had for her.
- Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in to her."
- Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
- It happened in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him. He went in to her.
- Laban gave Zilpah his handmaid to his daughter Leah for a handmaid.
- It happened in the morning that, behold, it was Leah. He said to Laban, "What is this you have done to me? Didn't I serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?"
- Laban said, "It is not done so in our place, to give the younger before the firstborn.
- Fulfill the week of this one, and we will give you the other also for the service which you will serve with me yet seven other years."
- Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week. He gave him Rachel his daughter as wife.
- Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah, his handmaid, to be her handmaid.
- He went in also to Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
- Yahweh saw that Leah was hated, and he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren.
- Leah conceived, and bore a son, and she named him Reuben. For she said, "Because Yahweh has looked at my affliction. For now my husband will love me."
- She conceived again, and bore a son, and said, "Because Yahweh has heard that I am hated, he has therefore given me this son also." She named him Simeon.
- She conceived again, and bore a son. Said, "Now this time will my husband be joined to me, because I have borne him three sons." Therefore was his name called Levi.
- She conceived again, and bore a son. She said, "This time will I praise Yahweh." Therefore she named him Judah. Then she stopped bearing.
| Genesis 29 Text (Hebrew)
- וישא יעקב רגליו וילך ארצה בני־קדם׃
- וירא והנה באר בשדה והנה־שם שלשה עדרי־צאן רבצים עליה כי מן־הבאר ההוא ישקו העדרים והאבן גדלה על־פי הבאר׃
- ונאספו־שמה כל־העדרים וגללו את־האבן מעל פי הבאר והשקו את־הצאן והשיבו את־האבן על־פי הבאר למקמה׃
- ויאמר להם יעקב אחי מאין אתם ויאמרו מחרן אנחנו׃
- ויאמר להם הידעתם את־לבן בן־נחור ויאמרו ידענו׃
- ויאמר להם השלום לו ויאמרו שלום והנה רחל בתו באה עם־הצאן׃
- ויאמר הן עוד היום גדול לא־עת האסף המקנה השקו הצאן ולכו רעו׃
- ויאמרו לא נוכל עד אשר יאספו כל־העדרים וגללו את־האבן מעל פי הבאר והשקינו הצאן׃
- עודנו מדבר עםם ורחל באה עם־הצאן אשר לאביה כי רעה הוא׃
- ויהי כאשר ראה יעקב את־רחל בת־לבן אחי אמו ואת־צאן לבן אחי אמו ויגש יעקב ויגל את־האבן מעל פי הבאר וישק את־צאן לבן אחי אמו׃
- וישק יעקב לרחל וישא את־קלו ויבך׃
- ויגד יעקב לרחל כי אחי אביה הוא וכי בן־רבקה הוא ותרץ ותגד לאביה׃
- ויהי כשמע לבן את־שמע יעקב בן־אחתו וירץ לקראתו ויחבק־לו וינשק־לו ויביאהו אל־ביתו ויספר ללבן את כל־הדברים האלה׃
- ויאמר לו לבן אך עצמי ובשרי אתה וישב עמו חדש ימים׃
- ויאמר לבן ליעקב הכי־אחי אתה ועבדתני חנם הגידה לי מה־משכרתך׃
- וללבן שתי בנות שם הגדלה לאה ושם הקטנה רחל׃
- ועיני לאה רכות ורחל היתה יפת־תאר ויפת מראה׃
- ויאהב יעקב את־רחל ויאמר אעבדך שבע שנים ברחל בתך הקטנה׃
- ויאמר לבן טוב תתי אתה לך מתתי אתה לאיש אחר שבה עמדי׃
- ויעבד יעקב ברחל שבע שנים ויהיו בעיניו כימים אחדים באהבתו אתה׃
- ויאמר יעקב אל־לבן הבה את־אשתי כי מלאו ימי ואבואה אליה׃
- ויאסף לבן את־כל־אנשי המקום ויעש משתה׃
- ויהי בערב ויקח את־לאה בתו ויבא אתה אליו ויבא אליה׃
- ויתן לבן לה את־זלפה שפחתו ללאה בתו שפחה׃
- ויהי בבקר והנה־הוא לאה ויאמר אל־לבן מה־זאת עשית לי הלא ברחל עבדתי עמך ולמה רמיתני׃
- ויאמר לבן לא־יעשה כן במקומנו לתת הצעירה לפני הבכירה׃
- מלא שבע זאת ונתנה לך גם־את־זאת בעבדה אשר תעבד עמדי עוד שבע־שנים אחרות׃
- ויעש יעקב כן וימלא שבע זאת ויתן־לו את־רחל בתו לו לאשה׃
- ויתן לבן לרחל בתו את־בלהה שפחתו לה לשפחה׃
- ויבא גם אל־רחל ויאהב גם־את־רחל מלאה ויעבד עמו עוד שבע־שנים אחרות׃
- וירא יהוה כי־שנואה לאה ויפתח את־רחמה ורחל עקרה׃
- ותהר לאה ותלד בן ותקרא שמו ראובן כי אמרה כי־ראה יהוה בעניי כי עתה יאהבני אישי׃
- ותהר עוד ותלד בן ותאמר כי־שמע יהוה כי־שנואה אנכי ויתן־לי גם־את־זה ותקרא שמו שמעון׃
- ותהר עוד ותלד בן ותאמר עתה הפעם ילוה אישי אלי כי־ילדתי לו שלשה בנים על־כן קרא־שמו לוי׃
- ותהר עוד ותלד בן ותאמר הפעם אודה את־יהוה על־כן קראה שמו יהודה ותעמד מלדת׃
| Genesis 29 Text (Latin)
- Profectus ergo Jacob venit in terram orientalem.
- Et vidit puteum in agro, tres quoque greges ovium accubantes juxta eum : nam ex illo adaquabantur pecora, et os ejus grandi lapide claudebatur.
- Morisque erat ut cunctis ovibus congregatis devolverent lapidem, et refectis gregibus rursum super os putei ponerent.
- Dixitque ad pastores : Fratres, unde estis ? Qui responderunt : De Haran.
- Quos interrogans, Numquid, ait, nostis Laban filium Nachor ? Dixerunt : Novimus.
- Sanusne est ? inquit. Valet, inquiunt : et ecce Rachel filia ejus venit cum grege suo.
- Dixitque Jacob : Adhuc multum diei superest, nec est tempus ut reducantur ad caulas greges : date ante potum ovibus, et sic eas ad pastum reducite.
- Qui responderunt : Non possumus, donec omnia pecora congregentur, et amoveamus lapidem de ore putei, ut adaquemus greges.
- Adhuc loquebantur, et ecce Rachel veniebat cum ovibus patris sui : nam gregem ipsa pascebat.
- Quam cum vidisset Jacob, et sciret consobrinam suam, ovesque Laban avunculi sui, amovit lapidem quo puteus claudebatur.
- Et adaquato grege, osculatus est eam : et elevata voce flevit,
- et indicavit ei quod frater esset patris sui, et filius Rebeccæ : at illa festinans nuntiavit patri suo.
- Qui cum audisset venisse Jacob filium sororis suæ, cucurrit obviam ei : complexusque eum, et in oscula ruens, duxit in domum suam. Auditis autem causis itineris,
- respondit : Os meum es, et caro mea. Et postquam impleti sunt dies mensis unius,
- dixit ei : Num quia frater meus es, gratis servies mihi ? dic quid mercedis accipias.
- Habebat vero duas filias : nomen majoris Lia, minor vero appellabatur Rachel.
- Sed Lia lippis erat oculis : Rachel decora facie, et venusto aspectu.
- Quam diligens Jacob, ait : Serviam tibi pro Rachel filia tua minore, septem annis.
- Respondit Laban : Melius est ut tibi eam dem quam alteri viro : mane apud me.
- Servivit ergo Jacob pro Rachel septem annis : et videbantur illi pauci dies præ amoris magnitudine.
- Dixitque ad Laban : Da mihi uxorem meam : quia jam tempus impletum est, ut ingrediar ad illam.
- Qui vocatis multis amicorum turbis ad convivium, fecit nuptias.
- Et vespere Liam filiam suam introduxit ad eum,
- dans ancillam filiæ, Zelpham nomine. Ad quam cum ex more Jacob fuisset ingressus, facto mane vidit Liam :
- et dixit ad socerum suum : Quid est quod facere voluisti ? nonne pro Rachel servivi tibi ? quare imposuisti mihi ?
- Respondit Laban : Non est in loco nostro consuetudinis, ut minores ante tradamus ad nuptias.
- Imple hebdomadam dierum hujus copulæ : et hanc quoque dabo tibi pro opere quo serviturus es mihi septem annis aliis.
- Acquievit placito : et hebdomada transacta, Rachel duxit uxorem :
- cui pater servam Balam tradiderat.
- Tandemque potitus optatis nuptiis, amorem sequentis priori prætulit, serviens apud eum septem annis aliis.
- Videns autem Dominus quod despiceret Liam, aperuit vulvam ejus, sorore sterili permanente.
- Quæ conceptum genuit filium, vocavitque nomen ejus Ruben, dicens : Vidit Dominus humilitatem meam : nunc amabit me vir meus.
- Rursumque concepit et peperit filium, et ait : Quoniam audivit me Dominus haberi contemptui, dedit etiam istum mihi ; vocavitque nomen ejus Simeon.
- Concepitque tertio, et genuit alium filium : dixitque : Nunc quoque copulabitur mihi maritus meus : eo quod pepererim ei tres filios : et idcirco appellavit nomen ejus Levi.
- Quarto concepit, et peperit filium, et ait : Modo confitebor Domino, et ob hoc vocavit eum Judam : cessavitque parere.
| Genesis 29 Text (KJV)
- Then Jacob went on his journey, and came into the land of the people of the east.
- And he looked, and behold a well in the field, and, lo, there were three flocks of sheep lying by it; for out of that well they watered the flocks: and a great stone was upon the well's mouth.
- And thither were all the flocks gathered: and they rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the sheep, and put the stone again upon the well's mouth in his place.
- And Jacob said unto them, My brethren, whence be ye? And they said, Of Haran are we.
- And he said unto them, Know ye Laban the son of Nahor? And they said, We know him.
- And he said unto them, Is he well? And they said, He is well: and, behold, Rachel his daughter cometh with the sheep.
- And he said, Lo, it is yet high day, neither is it time that the cattle should be gathered together: water ye the sheep, and go and feed them.
- And they said, We cannot, until all the flocks be gathered together, and till they roll the stone from the well's mouth; then we water the sheep.
- And while he yet spake with them, Rachel came with her father's sheep: for she kept them.
- And it came to pass, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother's brother, and the sheep of Laban his mother's brother, that Jacob went near, and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother's brother.
- And Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept.
- And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's brother, and that he was Rebekah's son: and she ran and told her father.
- And it came to pass, when Laban heard the tidings of Jacob his sister's son, that he ran to meet him, and embraced him, and kissed him, and brought him to his house. And he told Laban all these things.
- And Laban said to him, Surely thou art my bone and my flesh. And he abode with him the space of a month.
- And Laban said unto Jacob, Because thou art my brother, shouldest thou therefore serve me for nought? tell me, what shall thy wages be?
- And Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
- Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured.
- And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.
- And Laban said, It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man: abide with me.
- And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.
- And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her.
- And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast.
- And it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her.
- And Laban gave unto his daughter Leah Zilpah his maid for an handmaid.
- And it came to pass, that in the morning, behold, it was Leah: and he said to Laban, What is this thou hast done unto me? did not I serve with thee for Rachel? wherefore then hast thou beguiled me?
- And Laban said, It must not be so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
- Fulfil her week, and we will give thee this also for the service which thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years.
- And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her week: and he gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also.
- And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be her maid.
- And he went in also unto Rachel, and he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and served with him yet seven other years.
- And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.
- And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.
- And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon.
- And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi.
- And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.