|Genesis 32 - Versions
|Genesis 32 Text (WEB)
- Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
- When he saw them, Jacob said, "This is God's army." He called the name of that place Mahanaim.
- Jacob sent messengers in front of him to Esau, his brother, to the land of Seir, the field of Edom.
- He commanded them, saying, "This is what you shall tell my lord, Esau: 'This is what your servant, Jacob, says. I have lived as a foreigner with Laban, and stayed until now.
- I have cattle, donkeys, flocks, male servants, and female servants. I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find favor in your sight.'"
- The messengers returned to Jacob, saying, "We came to your brother Esau. Not only that, but he comes to meet you, and four hundred men with him."
- Then Jacob was greatly afraid and was distressed. He divided the people who were with him, and the flocks, and the herds, and the camels, into two companies;
- and he said, "If Esau comes to the one company, and strikes it, then the company which is left will escape."
- Jacob said, "God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, Yahweh, who said to me, 'Return to your country, and to your relatives, and I will do you good,'
- I am not worthy of the least of all the loving kindnesses, and of all the truth, which you have shown to your servant; for with just my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I have become two companies.
- Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he come and strike me, and the mothers with the children.
- You said, 'I will surely do you good, and make your seed as the sand of the sea, which can't be numbered because there are so many.'"
- He lodged there that night, and took from that which he had with him, a present for Esau, his brother:
- two hundred female goats and twenty male goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams,
- thirty milk camels and their colts, forty cows, ten bulls, twenty female donkeys and ten foals.
- He delivered them into the hands of his servants, every herd by itself, and said to his servants, "Pass over before me, and put a space between herd and herd."
- He commanded the foremost, saying, "When Esau, my brother, meets you, and asks you, saying, 'Whose are you? Where are you going? Whose are these before you?'
- Then you shall say, 'They are your servant, Jacob's. It is a present sent to my lord, Esau. Behold, he also is behind us.'"
- He commanded also the second, and the third, and all that followed the herds, saying, "This is how you shall speak to Esau, when you find him.
- You shall say, 'Not only that, but behold, your servant, Jacob, is behind us.'" For, he said, "I will appease him with the present that goes before me, and afterward I will see his face. Perhaps he will accept me."
- So the present passed over before him, and he himself lodged that night in the camp.
- He rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two handmaids, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford of the Jabbok.
- He took them, and sent them over the stream, and sent over that which he had.
- Jacob was left alone, and wrestled with a man there until the breaking of the day.
- When he saw that he didn't prevail against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh, and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was strained, as he wrestled.
- The man said, "Let me go, for the day breaks." Jacob said, "I won't let you go, unless you bless me."
- He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
- He said, "Your name will no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have fought with God and with men, and have prevailed."
- Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." He said, "Why is it that you ask what my name is?" He blessed him there.
- Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for, he said, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
- The sun rose on him as he passed over Peniel, and he limped because of his thigh.
- Therefore the children of Israel don't eat the sinew of the hip, which is on the hollow of the thigh, to this day, because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew of the hip.
|Genesis 32 Text (Hebrew)
- ויעקב הלך לדרכו ויפגעו־בו מלאכי אלהים׃
- ויאמר יעקב כאשר ראם מחנה אלהים זה ויקרא שם־המקום ההוא מחנים׃ ף
- וישלח יעקב מלאכים לפניו אל־עשו אחיו ארצה שעיר שדה אדום׃
- ויצו אתם לאמר כה תאמרון לאדני לעשו כה אמר עבדכ יעקב עם־לבן גרתי ואחר עד־עתה׃
- ויהי־לי שור וחמור צאן ועבד ושפחה ואשלחה להגיד לאדני למצא־חן בעיניך׃
- וישבו המלאכים אל־יעקב לאמר באנו אל־אחיך אל־עשו וגם הלך לקראתך וארבע־מאות איש עמו׃
- ויירא יעקב מאד ויצר לו ויחץ את־העם אשר־אתו ואת־הצאן ואת־הבקר והגמלים לשני מחנות׃
- ויאמר אם־יבוא עשו אל־המחנה האחת והכהו והיה המחנה הנשאר לפליטה׃
- ויאמר יעקב אלהי אבי אברהם ואלהי אבי יצחק יהוה האמר אלי שוב לארצך ולמולדתך ואיטיבה עמך׃
- קטנתי מכל החסדים ומכל־האמת אשר עשית את־עבדך כי במקלי עברתי את־הירדן הזה ועתה הייתי לשני מחנות׃
- הצילני נא מיד אחי מיד עשו כי־ירא אנכי אתו פן־יבוא והכני אם על־בנים׃
- ואתה אמרת היטב איטיב עמך ושמתי את־זרעך כחול הים אשר לא־יספר מרב׃
- וילן שם בלילה ההוא ויקח מן־הבא בידו מנחה לעשו אחיו׃
- עזים מאתים ותישים עשרים רחלים מאתים ואילים עשרים׃
- גמלים מיניקות ובניהם שלשים פרות ארבעים ופרים עשרה אתנת עשרים ועירם עשרה׃
- ויתן ביד־עבדיו עדר עדר לבדו ויאמר אל־עבדיו עברו לפני ורוח תשימו בין עדר ובין עדר׃
- ויצו את־הראשון לאמר כי יפגשך עשו אחי ושאלך לאמר למי־אתה ואנה תלך ולמי אלה לפניך׃
- ואמרת לעבדך ליעקב מנחה הוא שלוחה לאדני לעשו והנה גם־הוא אחרינו׃
- ויצו גם את־השני גם את־השלישי גם את־כל־ההלכים אחרי העדרים לאמר כדבר הזה תדברון אל־עשו במצאכם אתו׃
- ואמרתם גם הנה עבדך יעקב אחרינו כי־אמר אכפרה פניו במנחה ההלכת לפני ואחרי־כן אראה פניו אולי ישא פני׃
- ותעבר המנחה על־פניו והוא לן בלילה־ההוא במחנה׃
- ויקם בלילה הוא ויקח את־שתי נשיו ואת־שתי שפחתיו ואת־אחד עשר ילדיו ויעבר את מעבר יבק׃
- ויקחם ויעברם את־הנחל ויעבר את־אשר־לו׃
- ויותר יעקב לבדו ויאבק איש עמו עד עלות השחר׃
- וירא כי לא יכל לו ויגע בכף־ירכו ותקע כף־ירך יעקב בהאבקו עמו׃
- ויאמר שלחני כי עלה השחר ויאמר לא אשלחך כי אם־ברכתני׃
- ויאמר אליו מה־שמך ויאמר יעקב׃
- ויאמר לא יעקב יאמר עוד שמך כי אם־ישראל כי־שרית עם־אלהים ועם־אנשים ותוכל׃
- וישאל יעקב ויאמר הגידה־נא שמך ויאמר למה זה תשאל לשמי ויברך אתו שם׃
- ויקרא יעקב שם המקום פניאל כי־ראיתי אלהים פנים אל־פנים ותנצל נפשי׃
- ויזרח־לו השמש כאשר עבר את־פנואל והוא צלע על־ירכו׃
- על־כן לא־יאכלו בני־ישראל את־גיד הנשה אשר על־כף הירך עד היום הזה כי נגע בכף־ירך יעקב בגיד הנשה׃
|Genesis 32 Text (Latin)
- Jacob quoque abiit itinere quo cœperat : fueruntque ei obviam angeli Dei.
- Quos cum vidisset, ait : Castra Dei sunt hæc : et appellavit nomen loci illius Mahanaim, id est, Castra.
- Misit autem et nuntios ante se ad Esau fratrem suum in terram Seir, in regionem Edom :
- præcepitque eis, dicens : Sic loquimini domino meo Esau : Hæc dicit frater tuus Jacob : Apud Laban peregrinatus sum, et fui usque in præsentem diem.
- Habeo boves, et asinos, et oves, et servos, et ancillas : mittoque nunc legationem ad dominum meum, ut inveniam gratiam in conspectu tuo.
- Reversique sunt nuntii ad Jacob, dicentes : Venimus ad Esau fratrem tuum, et ecce properat tibi in occursum cum quadringentis viris.
- Timuit Jacob valde : et perterritus divisit populum qui secum erat, greges quoque et oves, et boves, et camelos, in duas turmas,
- dicens : Si venerit Esau ad unam turmam, et percusserit eam, alia turma, quæ relicta est, salvabitur.
- Dixitque Jacob : Deus patris mei Abraham, et Deus patris mei Isaac : Domine qui dixisti mihi : Revertere in terram tuam, et in locum nativitatis tuæ, et benefaciam tibi :
- minor sum cunctis miserationibus tuis, et veritate tua quam explevisti servo tuo. In baculo meo transivi Jordanem istum : et nunc cum duabus turmis regredior.
- Erue me de manu fratris mei Esau, quia valde eum timeo : ne forte veniens percutiat matrem cum filiis.
- Tu locutus es quod benefaceres mihi, et dilatares semen meum sicut arenam maris, quæ præ multitudine numerari non potest.
- Cumque dormisset ibi nocte illa, separavit de his quæ habebat, munera Esau fratri suo,
- capras ducentas, hircos viginti, oves ducentas, et arietes viginti,
- camelos fœtas cum pullis suis triginta, vaccas quadraginta, et tauros viginti, asinas viginti et pullos earum decem.
- Et misit per manus servorum suorum singulos seorsum greges, dixitque pueris suis : Antecedite me, et sit spatium inter gregem et gregem.
- Et præcepit priori, dicens : Si obvium habueris fratrem meum Esau, et interrogaverit te : Cujus es ? aut, Quo vadis ? aut, Cujus sunt ista quæ sequeris ?
- respondebis : Servi tui Jacob, munera misit domino meo Esau, ipse quoque post nos venit.
- Similiter dedit mandata secundo, et tertio, et cunctis qui sequebantur greges, dicens : Iisdem verbis loquimini ad Esau cum inveneritis eum.
- Et addetis : Ipse quoque servus tuus Jacob iter nostrum insequitur. Dixit enim : Placabo illum muneribus quæ præcedunt, et postea videbo illum : forsitan propitiabitur mihi.
- Præcesserunt itaque munera ante eum, ipse vero mansit nocte illa in castris.
- Cumque mature surrexisset, tulit duas uxores suas, et totidem famulas cum undecim filiis, et transivit vadum Jaboc.
- Traductisque omnibus quæ ad se pertinebant,
- mansit solus : et ecce vir luctabatur cum eo usque mane.
- Qui cum videret quod eum superare non posset, tetigit nervum femoris ejus, et statim emarcuit.
- Dixitque ad eum : Dimitte me : jam enim ascendit aurora. Respondit : Non dimittam te, nisi benedixeris mihi.
- Ait ergo : Quod nomen est tibi ? Respondit : Jacob.
- At ille : Nequaquam, inquit, Jacob appellabitur nomen tuum, sed Israël : quoniam si contra Deum fortis fuisti, quanto magis contra homines prævalebis ?
- Interrogavit eum Jacob : Dic mihi, quo appellaris nomine ? Respondit : Cur quæris nomen meum ? Et benedixit ei in eodem loco.
- Vocavitque Jacob nomen loci illius Phanuel, dicens : Vidi Deum facie ad faciem, et salva facta est anima mea.
- Ortusque est ei statim sol, postquam transgressus est Phanuel : ipse vero claudicabat pede.
- Quam ob causam non comedunt nervum filii Israël, qui emarcuit in femore Jacob, usque in præsentem diem : eo quod tetigerit nervum femoris ejus, et obstupuerit.
|Genesis 32 Text (KJV)
- And Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
- And when Jacob saw them, he said, This is God's host: and he called the name of that place Mahanaim.
- And Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother unto the land of Seir, the country of Edom.
- And he commanded them, saying, Thus shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned with Laban, and stayed there until now:
- And I have oxen, and asses, flocks, and menservants, and womenservants: and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find grace in thy sight.
- And the messengers returned to Jacob, saying, We came to thy brother Esau, and also he cometh to meet thee, and four hundred men with him.
- Then Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed: and he divided the people that was with him, and the flocks, and herds, and the camels, into two bands;
- And said, If Esau come to the one company, and smite it, then the other company which is left shall escape.
- And Jacob said, O God of my father Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, the LORD which saidst unto me, Return unto thy country, and to thy kindred, and I will deal well with thee:
- I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two bands.
- Deliver me, I pray thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he will come and smite me, and the mother with the children.
- And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.
- And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;
- Two hundred she goats, and twenty he goats, two hundred ewes, and twenty rams,
- Thirty milch camels with their colts, forty kine, and ten bulls, twenty she asses, and ten foals.
- And he delivered them into the hand of his servants, every drove by themselves; and said unto his servants, Pass over before me, and put a space betwixt drove and drove.
- And he commanded the foremost, saying, When Esau my brother meeteth thee, and asketh thee, saying, Whose art thou? and whither goest thou? and whose are these before thee?
- Then thou shalt say, They be thy servant Jacob's; it is a present sent unto my lord Esau: and, behold, also he is behind us.
- And so commanded he the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying, On this manner shall ye speak unto Esau, when ye find him.
- And say ye moreover, Behold, thy servant Jacob is behind us. For he said, I will appease him with the present that goeth before me, and afterward I will see his face; peradventure he will accept of me.
- So went the present over before him: and himself lodged that night in the company.
- And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
- And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.
- And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
- And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
- And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
- And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
- And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
- And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
- And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.
- And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh.
- Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank.