| Genesis 34 - Versions
| Genesis 34 Text (WEB)
- Dinah, the daughter of Leah, whom she bore to Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.
- Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, the prince of the land, saw her. He took her, lay with her, and humbled her.
- His soul joined to Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the young lady, and spoke kindly to the young lady.
- Shechem spoke to his father, Hamor, saying, "Get me this young lady as a wife."
- Now Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah, his daughter; and his sons were with his livestock in the field. Jacob held his peace until they came.
- Hamor the father of Shechem went out to Jacob to talk with him.
- The sons of Jacob came in from the field when they heard it. The men were grieved, and they were very angry, because he had done folly in Israel in lying with Jacob's daughter; a which thing ought not to be done.
- Hamor talked with them, saying, "The soul of my son, Shechem, longs for your daughter. Please give her to him as a wife.
- Make marriages with us. Give your daughters to us, and take our daughters for yourselves.
- You shall dwell with us, and the land will be before you. Live and trade in it, and get possessions in it."
- Shechem said to her father and to her brothers, "Let me find favor in your eyes, and whatever you will tell me I will give.
- Ask me a great amount for a dowry, and I will give whatever you ask of me, but give me the young lady as a wife."
- The sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father with deceit, and spoke, because he had defiled Dinah their sister,
- and said to them, "We can't do this thing, to give our sister to one who is uncircumcised; for that is a reproach to us.
- Only on this condition will we consent to you. If you will be as we are, that every male of you be circumcised;
- then will we give our daughters to you, and we will take your daughters to us, and we will dwell with you, and we will become one people.
- But if you will not listen to us, to be circumcised, then we will take our sister, and we will be gone."
- Their words pleased Hamor and Shechem, Hamor's son.
- The young man didn't wait to do this thing, because he had delight in Jacob's daughter, and he was honored above all the house of his father.
- Hamor and Shechem, his son, came to the gate of their city, and talked with the men of their city, saying,
- "These men are peaceful with us. Therefore let them live in the land and trade in it. For behold, the land is large enough for them. Let us take their daughters to us for wives, and let us give them our daughters.
- Only on this condition will the men consent to us to live with us, to become one people, if every male among us is circumcised, as they are circumcised.
- Won't their livestock and their possessions and all their animals be ours? Only let us give our consent to them, and they will dwell with us."
- All who went out of the gate of his city listened to Hamor, and to Shechem his son; and every male was circumcised, all who went out of the gate of his city.
- It happened on the third day, when they were sore, that two of Jacob's sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, each took his sword, came upon the unsuspecting city, and killed all the males.
- They killed Hamor and Shechem, his son, with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem's house, and went away.
- Jacob's sons came on the dead, and plundered the city, because they had defiled their sister.
- They took their flocks, their herds, their donkeys, that which was in the city, that which was in the field,
- and all their wealth. They took captive all their little ones and their wives, and took as plunder everything that was in the house.
- Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "You have troubled me, to make me odious to the inhabitants of the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites. I am few in number. They will gather themselves together against me and strike me, and I will be destroyed, I and my house."
- They said, "Should he deal with our sister as with a prostitute?"
| Genesis 34 Text (Hebrew)
- ותצא דינה בת־לאה אשר ילדה ליעקב לראות בבנות הארץ׃
- וירא אתה שכם בן־חמור החוי נשיא הארץ ויקח אתה וישכב אתה ויענה׃
- ותדבק נפשו בדינה בת־יעקב ויאהב את־הנער וידבר על־לב הנער׃
- ויאמר שכם אל־חמור אביו לאמר קח־לי את־הילדה הזאת לאשה׃
- ויעקב שמע כי טמא את־דינה בתו ובניו היו את־מקנהו בשדה והחרש יעקב עד־באם׃
- ויצא חמור אבי־שכם אל־יעקב לדבר אתו׃
- ובני יעקב באו מן־השדה כשמעם ויתעצבו האנשים ויחר להם מאד כי־נבלה עשה בישראל לשכב את־בת־יעקב וכן לא יעשה׃
- וידבר חמור אתם לאמר שכם בני חשקה נפשו בבתכם תנו נא אתה לו לאשה׃
- והתחתנו אתנו בנתיכם תתנו־לנו ואת־בנתינו תקחו לכם׃
- ואתנו תשבו והארץ תהיה לפניכם שבו וסחרוה והאחזו בה׃
- ויאמר שכם אל־אביה ואל־אחיה אמצא־חן בעיניכם ואשר תאמרו אלי אתן׃
- הרבו עלי מאד מהר ומתן ואתנה כאשר תאמרו אלי ותנו־לי את־הנער לאשה׃
- ויענו בני־יעקב את־שכם ואת־חמור אביו במרמה וידברו אשר טמא את דינה אחתם׃
- ויאמרו אליהם לא נוכל לעשות הדבר הזה לתת את־אחתנו לאיש אשר־לו ערלה כי־חרפה הוא לנו׃
- אך־בזאת נאות לכם אם תהיו כמנו להמל לכם כל־זכר׃
- ונתנו את־בנתינו לכם ואת־בנתיכם נקח־לנו וישבנו אתכם והיינו לעם אחד׃
- ואם־לא תשמעו אלינו להמול ולקחנו את־בתנו והלכנו׃
- וייטבו דבריהם בעיני חמור ובעיני שכם בן־חמור׃
- ולא־אחר הנער לעשות הדבר כי חפץ בבת־יעקב והוא נכבד מכל בית אביו׃
- ויבא חמור ושכם בנו אל־שער עירם וידברו אל־אנשי עירם לאמר׃
- האנשים האלה שלמים הם אתנו וישבו בארץ ויסחרו אתה והארץ הנה רחבת־ידים לפניהם את־בנתם נקח־לנו לנשים ואת־בנתינו נתן להם׃
- אך־בזאת יאתו לנו האנשים לשבת אתנו להיות לעם אחד בהמול לנו כל־זכר כאשר הם נמלים׃
- מקנהם וקנינם וכל־בהמתם הלוא לנו הם אך נאותה להם וישבו אתנו׃
- וישמעו אל־חמור ואל־שכם בנו כל־יצאי שער עירו וימלו כל־זכר כל־יצאי שער עירו׃
- ויהי ביום השלישי בהיותם כאבים ויקחו שני־בני־יעקב שמעון ולוי אחי דינה איש חרבו ויבאו על־העיר בטח ויהרגו כל־זכר׃
- ואת־חמור ואת־שכם בנו הרגו לפי־חרב ויקחו את־דינה מבית שכם ויצאו׃
- בני יעקב באו על־החללים ויבזו העיר אשר טמאו אחותם׃
- את־צאנם ואת־בקרם ואת־חמריהם ואת אשר־בעיר ואת־אשר בשדה לקחו׃
- ואת־כל־חילם ואת־כל־טפם ואת־נשיהם שבו ויבזו ואת כל־אשר בבית׃
- ויאמר יעקב אל־שמעון ואל־לוי עכרתם אתי להבאישני בישב הארץ בכנעני ובפרזי ואני מתי מספר ונאספו עלי והכוני ונשמדתי אני וביתי׃
- ויאמרו הכזונה יעשה את־אחותנו׃ ף
| Genesis 34 Text (Latin)
- Egressa est autem Dina filia Liæ ut videret mulieres regionis illius.
- Quam cum vidisset Sichem filius Hemor Hevæi, princeps terræ illius, adamavit eam : et rapuit, et dormivit cum illa, vi opprimens virginem.
- Et conglutinata est anima ejus cum ea, tristemque delinivit blanditiis.
- Et pergens ad Hemor patrem suum : Accipe, inquit, mihi puellam hanc conjugem.
- Quod cum audisset Jacob absentibus filiis, et in pastu pecorum occupatis, siluit donec redirent.
- Egresso autem Hemor patre Sichem ut loqueretur ad Jacob,
- ecce filii ejus veniebant de agro : auditoque quod acciderat, irati sunt valde, eo quod fœdam rem operatus esset in Israël et, violata filia Jacob, rem illicitam perpetrasset.
- Locutus est itaque Hemor ad eos : Sichem filii mei adhæsit anima filiæ vestræ : date eam illi uxorem :
- et jungamus vicissim connubia : filias vestras tradite nobis, et filias nostras accipite,
- et habitate nobiscum : terra in potestate vestra est : exercete, negotiamini, et possidete eam.
- Sed et Sichem ad patrem et ad fratres ejus ait : Inveniam gratiam coram vobis : et quæcumque statueritis, dabo :
- augete dotem, et munera postulate, et libenter tribuam quod petieritis : tantum date mihi puellam hanc uxorem.
- Responderunt filii Jacob Sichem et patri ejus in dolo, sævientes ob stuprum sororis :
- Non possumus facere quod petitis, nec dare sororem nostram homini incircumciso : quod illicitum et nefarium est apud nos.
- Sed in hoc valebimus fœderari, si volueritis esse similes nostri, et circumcidatur in vobis omne masculini sexus ;
- tunc dabimus et accipiemus mutuo filias vestras ac nostras : et habitabimus vobiscum, erimusque unus populus.
- Si autem circumcidi nolueritis, tollemus filiam nostram, et recedemus.
- Placuit oblatio eorum Hemor, et Sichem filio ejus,
- nec distulit adolescens quin statim quod petebatur expleret : amabat enim puellam valde, et ipse erat inclytus in omni domo patris sui.
- Ingressique portam urbis, locuti sunt ad populum :
- Viri isti pacifici sunt, et volunt habitare nobiscum : negotientur in terra, et exerceant eam, quæ spatiosa et lata cultoribus indiget : filias eorum accipiemus uxores, et nostras illis dabimus.
- Unum est quo differtur tantum bonum : si circumcidamus masculos nostros, ritum gentis imitantes.
- Et substantia eorum, et pecora, et cuncta quæ possident, nostra erunt : tantum in hoc acquiescamus, et habitantes simul, unum efficiemus populum.
- Assensique sunt omnes, circumcisis cunctis maribus.
- Et ecce, die tertio, quando gravissimus vulnerum dolor est : arreptis duo filii Jacob, Simeon et Levi fratres Dinæ, gladiis, ingressi sunt urbem confidenter : interfectisque omnibus masculis,
- Hemor et Sichem pariter necaverunt, tollentes Dinam de domo Sichem sororem suam.
- Quibus egressis, irruerunt super occisos ceteri filii Jacob : et depopulati sunt urbem in ultionem stupri.
- Oves eorum, et armenta, et asinos, cunctaque vastantes quæ in domibus et in agris erant,
- parvulos quoque eorum et uxores duxerunt captivas.
- Quibus patratis audacter, Jacob dixit ad Simeon et Levi : Turbastis me, et odiosum fecistis me Chananæis, et Pherezæis habitatoribus terræ hujus : nos pauci sumus ; illi congregati percutient me, et delebor ego, et domus mea.
- Responderunt : Numquid ut scorto abuti debuere sorore nostra ?
| Genesis 34 Text (KJV)
- And Dinah the daughter of Leah, which she bare unto Jacob, went out to see the daughters of the land.
- And when Shechem the son of Hamor the Hivite, prince of the country, saw her, he took her, and lay with her, and defiled her.
- And his soul clave unto Dinah the daughter of Jacob, and he loved the damsel, and spake kindly unto the damsel.
- And Shechem spake unto his father Hamor, saying, Get me this damsel to wife.
- And Jacob heard that he had defiled Dinah his daughter: now his sons were with his cattle in the field: and Jacob held his peace until they were come.
- And Hamor the father of Shechem went out unto Jacob to commune with him.
- And the sons of Jacob came out of the field when they heard it: and the men were grieved, and they were very wroth, because he had wrought folly in Israel in lying with Jacob's daughter; which thing ought not to be done.
- And Hamor communed with them, saying, The soul of my son Shechem longeth for your daughter: I pray you give her him to wife.
- And make ye marriages with us, and give your daughters unto us, and take our daughters unto you.
- And ye shall dwell with us: and the land shall be before you; dwell and trade ye therein, and get you possessions therein.
- And Shechem said unto her father and unto her brethren, Let me find grace in your eyes, and what ye shall say unto me I will give.
- Ask me never so much dowry and gift, and I will give according as ye shall say unto me: but give me the damsel to wife.
- And the sons of Jacob answered Shechem and Hamor his father deceitfully, and said, because he had defiled Dinah their sister:
- And they said unto them, We cannot do this thing, to give our sister to one that is uncircumcised; for that were a reproach unto us:
- But in this will we consent unto you: If ye will be as we be, that every male of you be circumcised;
- Then will we give our daughters unto you, and we will take your daughters to us, and we will dwell with you, and we will become one people.
- But if ye will not hearken unto us, to be circumcised; then will we take our daughter, and we will be gone.
- And their words pleased Hamor, and Shechem Hamor's son.
- And the young man deferred not to do the thing, because he had delight in Jacob's daughter: and he was more honourable than all the house of his father.
- And Hamor and Shechem his son came unto the gate of their city, and communed with the men of their city, saying,
- These men are peaceable with us; therefore let them dwell in the land, and trade therein; for the land, behold, it is large enough for them; let us take their daughters to us for wives, and let us give them our daughters.
- Only herein will the men consent unto us for to dwell with us, to be one people, if every male among us be circumcised, as they are circumcised.
- Shall not their cattle and their substance and every beast of theirs be ours? only let us consent unto them, and they will dwell with us.
- And unto Hamor and unto Shechem his son hearkened all that went out of the gate of his city; and every male was circumcised, all that went out of the gate of his city.
- And it came to pass on the third day, when they were sore, that two of the sons of Jacob, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brethren, took each man his sword, and came upon the city boldly, and slew all the males.
- And they slew Hamor and Shechem his son with the edge of the sword, and took Dinah out of Shechem's house, and went out.
- The sons of Jacob came upon the slain, and spoiled the city, because they had defiled their sister.
- They took their sheep, and their oxen, and their asses, and that which was in the city, and that which was in the field,
- And all their wealth, and all their little ones, and their wives took they captive, and spoiled even all that was in the house.
- And Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, Ye have troubled me to make me to stink among the inhabitants of the land, among the Canaanites and the Perizzites: and I being few in number, they shall gather themselves together against me, and slay me; and I shall be destroyed, I and my house.
- And they said, Should he deal with our sister as with an harlot?