|Isaiah 49 - Versions
|Isaiah 49 Text (WEB)
- Listen, islands, to me; and listen, you peoples, from far: Yahweh has called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother has he made mention of my name:
- and he has made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand, he has hidden me: and he has made me a polished shaft; in his quiver has he kept me close:
- and he said to me, "You are my servant; Israel, in whom I will be glorified."
- But I said, "I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely the justice [due] to me is with Yahweh, and my reward with my God."
- Now says Yahweh who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, and that Israel be gathered to him (for I am honorable in the eyes of Yahweh, and my God is become my strength);
- yes, he says, "It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give you for a light to the nations, that you may be my salvation to the end of the earth."
- Thus says Yahweh, the Redeemer of Israel, [and] his Holy One, to him whom man despises, to him whom the nation abhors, to a servant of rulers: "Kings shall see and arise; princes, and they shall worship; because of Yahweh who is faithful, [even] the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you."
- Thus says Yahweh, "In an acceptable time have I answered you, and in a day of salvation have I helped you; and I will preserve you, and give you for a covenant of the people, to raise up the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritage:
- saying to those who are bound, 'Come out!'; to those who are in darkness, 'Show yourselves!' "They shall feed in the ways, and on all bare heights shall be their pasture.
- They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun strike them: for he who has mercy on them will lead them, even by springs of water he will guide them.
- I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted.
- Behold, these shall come from far; and behold, these from the north and from the west; and these from the land of Sinim."
- Sing, heavens; and be joyful, earth; and break forth into singing, mountains: for Yahweh has comforted his people, and will have compassion on his afflicted.
- But Zion said, "Yahweh has forsaken me, and the Lord has forgotten me."
- "Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, these may forget, yet I will not forget you!
- Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.
- Your children make haste; your destroyers and those who made you waste shall go forth from you.
- Lift up your eyes all around, and see: all these gather themselves together, and come to you. As I live," says Yahweh, "you shall surely clothe yourself with them all as with an ornament, and dress yourself with them, like a bride.
- "For, as for your waste and your desolate places, and your land that has been destroyed, surely now you shall be too small for the inhabitants, and those who swallowed you up shall be far away.
- The children of your bereavement shall yet say in your ears, The place is too small for me; give place to me that I may dwell.
- Then you will say in your heart, 'Who has conceived these for me, since I have been bereaved of my children, and am solitary, an exile, and wandering back and forth? Who has brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where were they?'"
- Thus says the Lord Yahweh, "Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and set up my banner to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their bosom, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders.
- Kings shall be your nursing fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers: they shall bow down to you with their faces to the earth, and lick the dust of your feet; and you shall know that I am Yahweh; and those who wait for me shall not be disappointed."
- Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captives be delivered?
- But thus says Yahweh, "Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; for I will contend with him who contends with you, and I will save your children.
- I will feed those who oppress you with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I, Yahweh, am your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob."
|Isaiah 49 Text (Hebrew)
- שמעו איים אלי והקשיבו לאמים מרחוק יהוה מבטן קראני ממעי אמי הזכיר שמי׃
- וישם פי כחרב חדה בצל ידו החביאני וישימני לחץ ברור באשפתו הסתירני׃
- ויאמר לי עבדי־אתה ישראל אשר־בך אתפאר׃
- ואני אמרתי לריק יגעתי לתהו והבל כחי כליתי אכן משפטי את־יהוה ופעלתי את־אלהי׃
- ועתה אמר יהוה יצרי מבטן לעבד לו לשובב יעקב אליו וישראל יאסף ואכבד בעיני יהוה ואלהי היה עזי׃
- ויאמר נקל מהיותך לי עבד להקים את־שבטי יעקב ישראל להשיב ונתתיך לאור גוים להיות ישועתי עד־קצה הארץ׃ ס
- כה אמר־יהוה גאל ישראל קדושו לבזה־נפש למתעב גוי לעבד משלים מלכים יראו וקמו שרים וישתחוו למען יהוה אשר נאמן קדש ישראל ויבחרך׃
- כה אמר יהוה בעת רצון עניתיך וביום ישועה עזרתיך ואצרך ואתנך לברית עם להקים ארץ להנחיל נחלות שממות׃
- לאמר לאסורים צאו לאשר בחשך הגלו על־דרכים ירעו ובכל־שפיים מרעיתם׃
- לא ירעבו ולא יצמאו ולא־יכם שרב ושמש כי־מרחםם ינהגם ועל־מבועי מים ינהלם׃
- ושמתי כל־הרי לדרך ומסלתי ירמון׃
- הנה־אלה מרחוק יבאו והנה־אלה מצפון ומים ואלה מארץ סינים׃
- רנו שמים וגילי ארץ הרים רנה כי־נחם יהוה עמו ועניו ירחם׃ ס
- ותאמר ציון עזבני יהוה ואדני שכחני׃
- התשכח אשה עולה מרחם בן־בטנה גם־אלה תשכחנה ואנכי לא אשכחך׃
- הן על־כפים חקתיך חומתיך נגדי תמיד׃
- מהרו בניך מהרסיך ומחרביך ממך יצאו׃
- שאי־סביב עיניך וראי כלם נקבצו באו־לך חי־אני נאם־יהוה כי כלם כעדי תלבשי ותקשרים ככלה׃
- כי חרבתיך ושממתיך וארץ הרסתיך כי עתה תצרי מיושב ורחקו מבלעיך׃
- עוד יאמרו באזניך בני שכליך צר־לי המקום גשה־לי ואשבה׃
- ואמרת בלבבך מי ילד־לי את־אלה ואני שכולה וגלמודה גלה וסורה ואלה מי גדל הן אני נשארתי לבדי אלה איפה הם׃ ף
- כה־אמר אדני יהוה הנה אשא אל־גוים ידי ואל־עמים ארים נסי והביאו בניך בחצן ובנתיך על־כתף תנשאנה׃
- והיו מלכים אמניך ושרותיהם מיניקתיך אפים ארץ ישתחוו לך ועפר רגליך ילחכו וידעת כי־אני יהוה אשר לא־יבשו קוי׃ ס
- היקח מגבור מלקוח ואם־שבי צדיק ימלט׃
- כי־כה אמר יהוה גם־שבי גבור יקח ומלקוח עריץ ימלט ואת־יריבך אנכי אריב ואת־בניך אנכי אושיע׃
- והאכלתי את־מוניך את־בשרם וכעסיס דםם ישכרון וידעו כל־בשר כי אני יהוה מושיעך וגאלך אביר יעקב׃ ס
|Isaiah 49 Text (Latin)
- Audite, insulæ ; et attendite, populi de longe ; Dominus ab utero vocavit me, de ventre matris meæ recordatus est nominis mei.
- Et posuit os meum quasi gladium acutum, in umbra manus suæ protexit me ; et posuit me sicut sagittam electam, in pharetra sua abscondit me.
- Et dixit mihi : Servus meus es tu Israël, quia in te gloriabor.
- Et ego dixi : In vacuum laboravi, sine causa et vane fortitudinem meam consumpsi, ergo judicium meum cum Domino, et opus meum cum Deo meo.
- Et nunc dicit Dominus, formans me ex utero servum sibi, ut reducam Jacob ad eum, et Israël non congregabitur ; et glorificatus sum in oculis Domini, et Deus meus factus est fortitudo mea.
- Et dixit : Parum est ut sis mihi servus ad suscitandas tribus Jacob, et fæces Israël convertendas ; ecce dedi te in lucem gentium, ut sis salus mea usque ad extremum terræ.
- Hæc dicit Dominus, redemptor Israël, Sanctus ejus, ad contemptibilem animam, ad abominatam gentem, ad servum dominorum : Reges videbunt, et consurgent principes, et adorabunt propter Dominum quia fidelis est, et Sanctum Israël qui elegit te.
- Hæc dicit Dominus : In tempore placito exaudivi te, et in die salutis auxiliatus sum tui ; et servavi te, et dedi te in fœdus populi, ut suscitares terram, et possideres hæreditates dissipatas ;
- ut diceres his qui vincti sunt : Exite ; et his qui in tenebris : Revelamini. Super vias pascentur, et in omnibus planis pascua eorum.
- Non esurient neque sitient, et non percutiet eos æstus et sol, quia miserator eorum reget eos, et ad fontes aquarum potabit eos.
- Et ponam omnes montes meos in viam, et semitæ meæ exaltabuntur.
- Ecce isti de longe venient, et ecce illi ab aquilone et mari, et isti de terra australi.
- Laudate, cæli, et exsulta, terra ; jubilate, montes, laudem, quia consolatus est Dominus populum suum, et pauperum suorum miserebitur.
- Et dixit Sion : Dereliquit me Dominus, et Dominus oblitus est mei.
- Numquid oblivisci potest mulier infantem suum, ut non misereatur filio uteri sui ? Et si illa oblita fuerit, ego tamen non obliviscar tui.
- Ecce in manibus meis descripsi te ; muri tui coram oculis meis semper.
- Venerunt structores tui ; destruentes te et dissipantes a te exibunt.
- Leva in circuitu oculos tuos, et vide ; omnes isti congregati sunt, venerunt tibi. Vivo ego, dicit Dominus, quia omnibus his velut ornamento vestieris, et circumdabis tibi eos quasi sponsa ;
- quia deserta tua, et solitudines tuæ, et terra ruinæ tuæ, nunc angusta erunt præ habitatoribus ; et longe fugabuntur qui absorbebant te.
- Adhuc dicent in auribus tuis filii sterilitatis tuæ : Angustus est mihi locus, fac spatium mihi ut habitem.
- Et dices in corde tuo : Quis genuit mihi istos ? Ego sterilis et non pariens, transmigrata, et captiva ; et istos quis enutrivit ? Ego destituta et sola ; et isti ubi erant ?
- Hæc dicit Dominus Deus : Ecce levabo ad gentes manum meam, et ad populos exaltabo signum meum ; et afferent filios tuos in ulnis, et filias tuas super humeros portabunt.
- Et erunt reges nutritii tui, et reginæ nutrices tuæ ; vultu in terram demisso adorabunt te, et pulverem pedum tuorum lingent. Et scies quia ego Dominus, super quo non confundentur qui exspectant eum.
- Numquid tolletur a forti præda ? aut quod captum fuerit a robusto, salvum esse poterit ?
- Quia hæc dicit Dominus : Equidem, et captivitas a forti tolletur ; et quod ablatum fuerit a robusto, salvabitur. Eos vero qui judicaverunt te, ego judicabo, et filios tuos ego salvabo.
- Et cibabo hostes tuos carnibus suis, et quasi musto, sanguine suo inebriabuntur, et sciet omnis caro quia ego Dominus salvans te, et redemptor tuus fortis Jacob.
|Isaiah 49 Text (KJV)
- Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
- And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;
- And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
- Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.
- And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.
- And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.
- Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
- Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
- That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
- They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.
- And I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted.
- Behold, these shall come from far: and, lo, these from the north and from the west; and these from the land of Sinim.
- Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.
- But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.
- Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
- Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
- Thy children shall make haste; thy destroyers and they that made thee waste shall go forth of thee.
- Lift up thine eyes round about, and behold: all these gather themselves together, and come to thee. As I live, saith the LORD, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on thee, as a bride doeth.
- For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away.
- The children which thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the other, shall say again in thine ears, The place is too strait for me: give place to me that I may dwell.
- Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? and who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been?
- Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.
- And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.
- Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered?
- But thus saith the LORD, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.
- And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.