|Joshua 2 - Versions
|Joshua 2 Text (WEB)
- Joshua the son of Nun secretly sent two men out of Shittim as spies, saying, "Go, view the land, including Jericho." They went and came into the house of a prostitute whose name was Rahab, and slept there.
- The king of Jericho was told, "Behold, men of the children of Israel came in here tonight to spy out the land."
- The king of Jericho sent to Rahab, saying, "Bring out the men who have come to you, who have entered into your house; for they have come to spy out all the land."
- The woman took the two men and hid them. Then she said, "Yes, the men came to me, but I didn't know where they came from.
- It happened about the time of the shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out. Where the men went, I don't know. Pursue them quickly; for you will overtake them."
- But she had brought them up to the roof, and hid them with the stalks of flax, which she had laid in order on the roof.
- The men pursued them the way to the Jordan to the fords: and as soon as those who pursued them had gone out, they shut the gate.
- Before they had laid down, she came up to them on the roof;
- and she said to the men, "I know that Yahweh has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen on us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you.
- For we have heard how Yahweh dried up the water of the Red Sea before you, when you came out of Egypt; and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites, who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and to Og, whom you utterly destroyed.
- As soon as we had heard it, our hearts melted, neither did there remain any more spirit in any man, because of you: for Yahweh your God, he is God in heaven above, and on earth beneath.
- Now therefore, please swear to me by Yahweh, since I have dealt kindly with you, that you also will deal kindly with my father's house, and give me a true token;
- and that you will save alive my father, my mother, my brothers, and my sisters, and all that they have, and will deliver our lives from death."
- The men said to her, "Our life for yours, if you don't talk about this business of ours; and it shall be, when Yahweh gives us the land, that we will deal kindly and truly with you."
- Then she let them down by a cord through the window; for her house was on the side of the wall, and she lived on the wall.
- She said to them, "Go to the mountain, lest the pursuers find you; and hide yourselves there three days, until the pursuers have returned. Afterward, you may go your way."
- The men said to her, "We will be guiltless of this your oath which you have made us to swear.
- Behold, when we come into the land, you shall bind this line of scarlet thread in the window which you did let us down by. You shall gather to yourself into the house your father, your mother, your brothers, and all your father's household.
- It shall be that whoever goes out of the doors of your house into the street, his blood will be on his head, and we will be guiltless. Whoever is with you in the house, his blood shall be on our head, if any hand is on him.
- But if you talk about this business of ours, then we shall be guiltless of your oath which you have made us to swear."
- She said, "According to your words, so be it." She sent them away, and they departed. She tied the scarlet line in the window.
- They went, and came to the mountain, and stayed there three days, until the pursuers had returned. The pursuers sought them throughout all the way, but didn't find them.
- Then the two men returned, descended from the mountain, passed over, and came to Joshua the son of Nun; and they told him all that had happened to them.
- They said to Joshua, "Truly Yahweh has delivered into our hands all the land. Moreover, all the inhabitants of the land melt away before us."
|Joshua 2 Text (Hebrew)
- וישלח יהושע־בן־נון מן־השטים שנים־אנשים מרגלים חרש לאמר לכו ראו את־הארץ ואת־יריחו וילכו ויבאו בית־אשה זונה ושמה רחב וישכבו־שמה׃
- ויאמר למלך יריחו לאמר הנה אנשים באו הנה הלילה מבני ישראל לחפר את־הארץ׃
- וישלח מלך יריחו אל־רחב לאמר הוציאי האנשים הבאים אליך אשר־באו לביתך כי לחפר את־כל־הארץ באו׃
- ותקח האשה את־שני האנשים ותצפנו ותאמר כן באו אלי האנשים ולא ידעתי מאין המה׃
- ויהי השער לסגור בחשך והאנשים יצאו לא ידעתי אנה הלכו האנשים רדפו מהר אחריהם כי תשיגום׃
- והיא העלתם הגגה ותטמנם בפשתי העץ הערכות לה על־הגג׃
- והאנשים רדפו אחריהם דרך הירדן על המעברות והשער סגרו אחרי כאשר יצאו הרדפים אחריהם׃
- והמה טרם ישכבון והיא עלתה עליהם על־הגג׃
- ותאמר אל־האנשים ידעתי כי־נתן יהוה לכם את־הארץ וכי־נפלה אימתכם עלינו וכי נמגו כל־ישבי הארץ מפניכם׃
- כי שמענו את אשר־הוביש יהוה את־מי ים־סוף מפניכם בצאתכם ממצרים ואשר עשיתם לשני מלכי האמרי אשר בעבר הירדן לסיחן ולעוג אשר החרמתם אותם׃
- ונשמע וימס לבבנו ולא־קמה עוד רוח באיש מפניכם כי יהוה אלהיכם הוא אלהים בשמים ממעל ועל־הארץ מתחת׃
- ועתה השבעו־נא לי ביהוה כי־עשיתי עםכם חסד ועשיתם גם־אתם עם־בית אבי חסד ונתתם לי אות אמת׃
- והחיתם את־אבי ואת־אמי ואת־אחי ואת־ ואת כל־אשר להם והצלתם את־נפשתינו ממות׃
- ויאמרו לה האנשים נפשנו תחתיכם למות אם לא תגידו את־דברנו זה והיה בתת־יהוה לנו את־הארץ ועשינו עמך חסד ואמת׃
- ותורדם בחבל בעד החלון כי ביתה בקיר החומה ובחומה היא יושבת׃
- ותאמר להם ההרה לכו פן־יפגעו בכם הרדפים ונחבתם שמה שלשת ימים עד שוב הרדפים ואחר תלכו לדרככם׃
- ויאמרו אליה האנשים נקים אנחנו משבעתך הזה אשר השבעתנו׃
- הנה אנחנו באים בארץ את־תקות חוט השני הזה תקשרי בחלון אשר הורדתנו בו ואת־אביך ואת־אמך ואת־אחיך ואת כל־בית אביך תאספי אליך הביתה׃
- והיה כל אשר־יצא מדלתי ביתך החוצה דמו בראשו ואנחנו נקים וכל אשר יהיה אתך בבית דמו בראשנו אם־יד תהיה־בו׃
- ואם־תגידי את־דברנו זה והיינו נקים משבעתך אשר השבעתנו׃
- ותאמר כדבריכם כן־הוא ותשלחם וילכו ותקשר את־תקות השני בחלון׃
- וילכו ויבאו ההרה וישבו שם שלשת ימים עד־שבו הרדפים ויבקשו הרדפים בכל־הדרך ולא מצאו׃
- וישבו שני האנשים וירדו מההר ויעברו ויבאו אל־יהושע בן־נון ויספרו־לו את כל־המצאות אותם׃
- ויאמרו אל־יהושע כי־נתן יהוה בידנו את־כל־הארץ וגם־נמגו כל־ישבי הארץ מפנינו׃ ס
|Joshua 2 Text (Latin)
- Misit igitur Josue filius Nun de Setim duos viros exploratores in abscondito : et dixit eis : Ite, et considerate terram, urbemque Jericho. Qui pergentes ingressi sunt domum mulieris meretricis, nomine Rahab, et quieverunt apud eam.
- Nuntiatumque est regi Jericho, et dictum : Ecce viri ingressi sunt huc per noctem de filiis Israël, ut explorarent terram.
- Misitque rex Jericho ad Rahab, dicens : Educ viros, qui venerunt ad te, et ingressi sunt domum tuam : exploratores quippe sunt, et omnem terram considerare venerunt.
- Tollensque mulier viros, abscondit, et ait : Fateor, venerunt ad me, sed nesciebam unde essent :
- cumque porta clauderetur in tenebris, et illi pariter exierunt ; nescio quo abierunt : persequimini cito, et comprehendetis eos.
- Ipsa autem fecit ascendere viros in solarium domus suæ, operuitque eos stipula lini, quæ ibi erat.
- Hi autem, qui missi fuerant, secuti sunt eos per viam, quæ ducit ad vadum Jordanis : illisque egressis statim porta clausa est.
- Necdum obdormierant qui latebant, et ecce mulier ascendit ad eos, et ait :
- Novi quod Dominus tradiderit vobis terram : etenim irruit in nos terror vester, et elanguerunt omnes habitatores terræ.
- Audivimus quod siccaverit Dominus aquas maris Rubri ad vestrum introitum, quando egressi estis ex Ægypto : et quæ feceritis duobus Amorrhæorum regibus, qui erant trans Jordanem, Sehon et Og, quos interfecistis.
- Et hæc audientes pertimuimus, et elanguit cor nostrum, nec remansit in nobis spiritus ad introitum vestrum : Dominus enim Deus vester ipse est Deus in cælo sursum et in terra deorsum.
- Nunc ergo jurate mihi per Dominum, ut quomodo ego misericordiam feci vobiscum, ita et vos faciatis cum domo patris mei : detisque mihi verum signum,
- ut salvetis patrem meum et matrem, et fratres ac sorores meas, et omnia quæ illorum sunt, et eruatis animas nostras a morte.
- Qui responderunt ei : Anima nostra sit pro vobis in mortem, si tamen non prodideris nos : cumque tradiderit nobis Dominus terram, faciemus in te misericordiam et veritatem.
- Demisit ergo eos per funem de fenestra : domus enim ejus hærebat muro.
- Dixitque ad eos : Ad montana conscendite, ne forte occurrant vobis revertentes : ibique latitate tribus diebus, donec redeant, et sic ibitis per viam vestram.
- Qui dixerunt ad eam : Innoxii erimus a juramento hoc, quo adjurasti nos :
- si ingredientibus nobis terram, signum fuerit funiculus iste coccineus, et ligaveris eum in fenestra, per quam demisisti nos : et patrem tuum ac matrem, fratresque et omnem cognationem tuam congregaveris in domum tuam.
- Qui ostium domus tuæ egressus fuerit, sanguis ipsius erit in caput ejus, et nos erimus alieni. Cunctorum autem sanguis, qui tecum in domo fuerint, redundabit in caput nostrum, si eos aliquis tetigerit.
- Quod si nos prodere volueris, et sermonem istum proferre in medium, erimus mundi ab hoc juramento, quo adjurasti nos.
- Et illa respondit : Sicut locuti estis, ita fiat : dimittensque eos ut pergerent, appendit funiculum coccineum in fenestra.
- Illi vero ambulantes pervenerunt ad montana, et manserunt ibi tres dies, donec reverterentur qui fuerant persecuti : quærentes enim per omnem viam, non repererunt eos.
- Quibus urbem ingressis, reversi sunt, et descenderunt exploratores de monte : et, transmisso Jordane, venerunt ad Josue filium Nun, narraveruntque ei omnia quæ acciderant sibi,
- atque dixerunt : Tradidit Dominus omnem terram hanc in manus nostras, et timore prostrati sunt cuncti habitatores ejus.
|Joshua 2 Text (KJV)
- And Joshua the son of Nun sent out of Shittim two men to spy secretly, saying, Go view the land, even Jericho. And they went, and came into an harlot's house, named Rahab, and lodged there.
- And it was told the king of Jericho, saying, Behold, there came men in hither to night of the children of Israel to search out the country.
- And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.
- And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:
- And it came to pass about the time of shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that the men went out: whither the men went I wot not: pursue after them quickly; for ye shall overtake them.
- But she had brought them up to the roof of the house, and hid them with the stalks of flax, which she had laid in order upon the roof.
- And the men pursued after them the way to Jordan unto the fords: and as soon as they which pursued after them were gone out, they shut the gate.
- And before they were laid down, she came up unto them upon the roof;
- And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you.
- For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed.
- And as soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath.
- Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the LORD, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also shew kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token:
- And that ye will save alive my father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have, and deliver our lives from death.
- And the men answered her, Our life for yours, if ye utter not this our business. And it shall be, when the LORD hath given us the land, that we will deal kindly and truly with thee.
- Then she let them down by a cord through the window: for her house was upon the town wall, and she dwelt upon the wall.
- And she said unto them, Get you to the mountain, lest the pursuers meet you; and hide yourselves there three days, until the pursuers be returned: and afterward may ye go your way.
- And the men said unto her, We will be blameless of this thine oath which thou hast made us swear.
- Behold, when we come into the land, thou shalt bind this line of scarlet thread in the window which thou didst let us down by: and thou shalt bring thy father, and thy mother, and thy brethren, and all thy father's household, home unto thee.
- And it shall be, that whosoever shall go out of the doors of thy house into the street, his blood shall be upon his head, and we will be guiltless: and whosoever shall be with thee in the house, his blood shall be on our head, if any hand be upon him.
- And if thou utter this our business, then we will be quit of thine oath which thou hast made us to swear.
- And she said, According unto your words, so be it. And she sent them away, and they departed: and she bound the scarlet line in the window.
- And they went, and came unto the mountain, and abode there three days, until the pursuers were returned: and the pursuers sought them throughout all the way, but found them not.
- So the two men returned, and descended from the mountain, and passed over, and came to Joshua the son of Nun, and told him all things that befell them:
- And they said unto Joshua, Truly the LORD hath delivered into our hands all the land; for even all the inhabitants of the country do faint because of us.