| Judges 2 - Versions
| Judges 2 Text (WEB)
- The angel of Yahweh came up from Gilgal to Bochim. He said, "I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you to the land which I swore to your fathers; and I said, 'I will never break my covenant with you:
- and you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall break down their altars.' But you have not listened to my voice: why have you done this?
- Therefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be [as thorns] in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare to you."
- It happened, when the angel of Yahweh spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.
- They called the name of that place Bochim: and they sacrificed there to Yahweh.
- Now when Joshua had sent the people away, the children of Israel went every man to his inheritance to possess the land.
- The people served Yahweh all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders who outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great work of Yahweh that he had worked for Israel.
- Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Yahweh, died, being one hundred ten years old.
- They buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnath Heres, in the hill country of Ephraim, on the north of the mountain of Gaash.
- Also all that generation were gathered to their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, who didn't know Yahweh, nor yet the work which he had worked for Israel.
- The children of Israel did that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh, and served the Baals;
- and they forsook Yahweh, the God of their fathers, who brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the peoples who were around them, and bowed themselves down to them: and they provoked Yahweh to anger.
- They forsook Yahweh, and served Baal and the Ashtaroth.
- The anger of Yahweh was kindled against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers who despoiled them; and he sold them into the hands of their enemies all around, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.
- Wherever they went out, the hand of Yahweh was against them for evil, as Yahweh had spoken, and as Yahweh had sworn to them: and they were very distressed.
- Yahweh raised up judges, who saved them out of the hand of those who despoiled them.
- Yet they didn't listen to their judges; for they played the prostitute after other gods, and bowed themselves down to them: they turned aside quickly out of the way in which their fathers walked, obeying the commandments of Yahweh; [but] they didn't do so.
- When Yahweh raised them up judges, then Yahweh was with the judge, and saved them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it grieved Yahweh because of their groaning by reason of those who oppressed them and troubled them.
- But it happened, when the judge was dead, that they turned back, and dealt more corruptly than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them, and to bow down to them; they didn't cease from their doings, nor from their stubborn way.
- The anger of Yahweh was kindled against Israel; and he said, "Because this nation have transgressed my covenant which I commanded their fathers, and have not listened to my voice;
- I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations that Joshua left when he died;
- that by them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of Yahweh to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not."
- So Yahweh left those nations, without driving them out hastily; neither delivered he them into the hand of Joshua.
| Judges 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ויעל מלאך־יהוה מן־הגלגל אל־הבכים ף ויאמר אעלה אתכם ממצרים ואביא אתכם אל־הארץ אשר נשבעתי לאבתיכם ואמר לא־אפר בריתי אתכם לעולם׃
- ואתם לא־תכרתו ברית ליושבי הארץ הזאת מזבחותיהם תתצון ולא־שמעתם בקלי מה־זאת עשיתם׃
- וגם אמרתי לא־אגרש אותם מפניכם והיו לכם לצדים ואלהיהם יהיו לכם למוקש׃
- ויהי כדבר מלאך יהוה את־הדברים האלה אל־כל־בני ישראל וישאו העם את־קולם ויבכו׃
- ויקראו שם־המקום ההוא בכים ויזבחו־שם ליהוה׃ ף
- וישלח יהושע את־העם וילכו בני־ישראל איש לנחלתו לרשת את־הארץ׃
- ויעבדו העם את־יהוה כל ימי יהושע וכל ימי הזקנים אשר האריכו ימים אחרי יהושוע אשר ראו את כל־מעשה יהוה הגדול אשר עשה לישראל׃
- וימת יהושע בן־נון עבד יהוה בן־מאה ועשר שנים׃
- ויקברו אותו בגבול נחלתו בתמנת־חרס בהר אפרים מצפון להר־געש׃
- וגם כל־הדור ההוא נאספו אל־אבותיו ויקם דור אחר אחריהם אשר לא־ידעו את־יהוה וגם את־המעשה אשר עשה לישראל׃ ס
- ויעשו בני־ישראל את־הרע בעיני יהוה ויעבדו את־הבעלים׃
- ויעזבו את־יהוה אלהי אבותם המוציא אותם מארץ מצרים וילכו אחרי אלהים אחרים מאלהי העמים אשר סביבותיהם וישתחוו להם ויכעסו את־יהוה׃
- ויעזבו את־יהוה ויעבדו לבעל ולעשתרות׃
- ויחר־אף יהוה בישראל ויתנם ביד־שסים וישסו אותם וימכרם ביד אויביהם מסביב ולא־יכלו עוד לעמד לפני אויביהם׃
- בכל אשר יצאו יד־יהוה היתה־בם לרעה כאשר דבר יהוה וכאשר נשבע יהוה להם ויצר להם מאד׃
- ויקם יהוה שפטים ויושיעום מיד שסיהם׃
- וגם אל־שפטיהם לא שמעו כי זנו אחרי אלהים אחרים וישתחוו להם סרו מהר מן־הדרך אשר הלכו אבותם לשמע מצות־יהוה לא־עשו כן׃
- וכי־הקים יהוה להם שפטים והיה יהוה עם־השפט והושיעם מיד איביהם כל ימי השופט כי־ינחם יהוה מנאקתם מפני לחציהם ודחקיהם׃
- והיה במות השופט ישבו והשחיתו מאבותם ללכת אחרי אלהים אחרים לעבדם ולהשתחות להם לא הפילו ממעלליהם ומדרכם הקשה׃
- ויחר־אף יהוה בישראל ויאמר יען אשר עברו הגוי הזה את־בריתי אשר צויתי את־אבותם ולא שמעו לקולי׃
- גם־אני לא אוסיף להוריש איש מפניהם מן־הגוים אשר־עזב יהושע וימת׃
- למען נסות בם את־ישראל השמרים הם את־דרך יהוה ללכת בם כאשר שמרו אבותם אם־לא׃
- וינח יהוה את־הגוים האלה לבלתי הורישם מהר ולא נתנם ביד־יהושע׃ ף
| Judges 2 Text (Latin)
- Ascenditque angelus Domini de Galgalis ad Locum flentium, et ait : Eduxi vos de Ægypto, et introduxi in terram, pro qua juravi patribus vestris : et pollicitus sum ut non facerem irritum pactum meum vobiscum in sempiternum :
- ita dumtaxat ut non feriretis fœdus cum habitatoribus terræ hujus, sed aras eorum subverteretis : et noluistis audire vocem meam : cur hoc fecistis ?
- Quam ob rem nolui delere eos a facie vestra : ut habeatis hostes, et dii eorum sint vobis in ruinam.
- Cumque loqueretur angelus Domini hæc verba ad omnes filios Israël, elevaverunt ipsi vocem suam, et fleverunt.
- Et vocatum est nomen loci illius, Locus flentium, sive lacrimarum : immolaveruntque ibi hostias Domini.
- Dimisit ergo Josue populum, et abierunt filii Israël unusquisque in possessionem suam, ut obtinerent eam :
- servieruntque Domino cunctis diebus ejus, et seniorum, qui longo post eum vixerunt tempore, et noverant omnia opera Domini quæ fecerat cum Israël.
- Mortuus est autem Josue filius Nun, famulus Domini, centum et decem annorum,
- et sepelierunt eum in finibus possessionis suæ in Thamnathsare in monte Ephraim, a septentrionali plaga montis Gaas.
- Omnisque illa generatio congregata est ad patres suos : et surrexerunt alii, qui non noverant Dominum, et opera quæ fecerat cum Israël.
- Feceruntque filii Israël malum in conspectu Domini, et servierunt Baalim.
- Ac dimiserunt Dominum Deum patrum suorum, qui eduxerat eos de terra Ægypti : et secuti sunt deos alienos, deosque populorum, qui habitabant in circuitu eorum, et adoraverunt eos : et ad iracundiam concitaverunt Dominum,
- dimittentes eum, et servientes Baal et Astaroth.
- Iratusque Dominus contra Israël, tradidit eos in manus diripientium : qui ceperunt eos, et vendiderunt hostibus, qui habitabant per gyrum : nec potuerunt resistere adversariis suis,
- sed quocumque pergere voluissent, manus Domini super eos erat, sicut locutus est, et juravit eis, et vehementer afflicti sunt.
- Suscitavitque Dominus judices, qui liberarent eos de vastantium manibus : sed nec eos audire voluerunt,
- fornicantes cum diis alienis, et adorantes eos. Cito deseruerunt viam, per quam ingressi fuerant patres eorum : et audientes mandata Domini, omnia fecere contraria.
- Cumque Dominus judices suscitaret, in diebus eorum flectebatur misericordia, et audiebat afflictorum gemitus, et liberabat eos de cæde vastantium.
- Postquam autem mortuus esset judex, revertebantur, et multo faciebant pejora quam fecerant patres eorum, sequentes deos alienos, servientes eis, et adorantes illos. Non dimiserunt adinventiones suas, et viam durissimam, per quam ambulare consueverunt.
- Iratusque est furor Domini in Israël, et ait : Quia irritum fecit gens ista pactum meum, quod pepigeram cum patribus eorum, et vocem meam audire contempsit :
- et ego non delebo gentes, quas dimisit Josue, et mortuus est :
- ut in ipsis experiar Israël, utrum custodiant viam Domini, et ambulent in ea, sicut custodierunt patres eorum, an non.
- Dimisit ergo Dominus omnes nationes has, et cito subvertere noluit, nec tradidit in manus Josue.
| Judges 2 Text (KJV)
- And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.
- And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
- Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.
- And it came to pass, when the angel of the LORD spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.
- And they called the name of that place Bochim: and they sacrificed there unto the LORD.
- And when Joshua had let the people go, the children of Israel went every man unto his inheritance to possess the land.
- And the people served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the LORD, that he did for Israel.
- And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred and ten years old.
- And they buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnath-heres, in the mount of Ephraim, on the north side of the hill Gaash.
- And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.
- And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served Baalim:
- And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger.
- And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.
- And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.
- Whithersoever they went out, the hand of the LORD was against them for evil, as the LORD had said, and as the LORD had sworn unto them: and they were greatly distressed.
- Nevertheless the LORD raised up judges, which delivered them out of the hand of those that spoiled them.
- And yet they would not hearken unto their judges, but they went a whoring after other gods, and bowed themselves unto them: they turned quickly out of the way which their fathers walked in, obeying the commandments of the LORD; but they did not so.
- And when the LORD raised them up judges, then the LORD was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the LORD because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.
- And it came to pass, when the judge was dead, that they returned, and corrupted themselves more than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them, and to bow down unto them; they ceased not from their own doings, nor from their stubborn way.
- And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel; and he said, Because that this people hath transgressed my covenant which I commanded their fathers, and have not hearkened unto my voice;
- I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died:
- That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not.
- Therefore the LORD left those nations, without driving them out hastily; neither delivered he them into the hand of Joshua.