| Judges 3 - Versions
| Judges 3 Text (WEB)
- Now these are the nations which Yahweh left, to prove Israel by them, even as many [of Israel] as had not known all the wars of Canaan;
- only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing of it:
- [namely], the five lords of the Philistines, and all the Canaanites, and the Sidonians, and the Hivites who lived on Mount Lebanon, from Mount Baal Hermon to the entrance of Hamath.
- They were [left], to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would listen to the commandments of Yahweh, which he commanded their fathers by Moses.
- The children of Israel lived among the Canaanites, the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites:
- and they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their own daughters to their sons and served their gods.
- The children of Israel did that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh, and forgot Yahweh their God, and served the Baals and the Asheroth.
- Therefore the anger of Yahweh was kindled against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of Cushan Rishathaim king of Mesopotamia: and the children of Israel served Cushan Rishathaim eight years.
- When the children of Israel cried to Yahweh, Yahweh raised up a savior to the children of Israel, who saved them, even Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother.
- The Spirit of Yahweh came on him, and he judged Israel; and he went out to war, and Yahweh delivered Cushan Rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand: and his hand prevailed against Cushan Rishathaim.
- The land had rest forty years. Othniel the son of Kenaz died.
- The children of Israel again did that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh: and Yahweh strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel, because they had done that which was evil in the sight of Yahweh.
- He gathered to him the children of Ammon and Amalek; and he went and struck Israel, and they possessed the city of palm trees.
- The children of Israel served Eglon the king of Moab eighteen years.
- But when the children of Israel cried to Yahweh, Yahweh raised them up a savior, Ehud the son of Gera, the Benjamite, a man left-handed. The children of Israel sent tribute by him to Eglon the king of Moab.
- Ehud made him a sword which had two edges, a cubit in length; and he wore it under his clothing on his right thigh.
- He offered the tribute to Eglon king of Moab: now Eglon was a very fat man.
- When he had made an end of offering the tribute, he sent away the people who bore the tribute.
- But he himself turned back from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, "I have a secret errand to you, king." The king said, "Keep silence!" All who stood by him went out from him.
- Ehud came to him; and he was sitting by himself alone in the cool upper room. Ehud said, "I have a message from God to you." He arose out of his seat.
- Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the sword from his right thigh, and thrust it into his body:
- and the handle also went in after the blade; and the fat closed on the blade, for he didn't draw the sword out of his body; and it came out behind.
- Then Ehud went forth into the porch, and shut the doors of the upper room on him, and locked them.
- Now when he was gone out, his servants came; and they saw, and behold, the doors of the upper room were locked; and they said, "Surely he is covering his feet in the upper room."
- They waited until they were ashamed; and behold, he didn't open the doors of the upper room: therefore they took the key, and opened [them], and behold, their lord was fallen down dead on the earth.
- Ehud escaped while they waited, and passed beyond the quarries, and escaped to Seirah.
- It happened, when he had come, that he blew a trumpet in the hill country of Ephraim; and the children of Israel went down with him from the hill country, and he before them.
- He said to them, "Follow me; for Yahweh has delivered your enemies the Moabites into your hand." They followed him, and took the fords of the Jordan against the Moabites, and didn't allow any man to pass over.
- They struck of Moab at that time about ten thousand men, every lusty man, and every man of valor; and there escaped not a man.
- So Moab was subdued that day under the hand of Israel. The land had rest eighty years.
- After him was Shamgar the son of Anath, who struck of the Philistines six hundred men with an oxgoad: and he also saved Israel.
| Judges 3 Text (Hebrew)
- ואלה הגוים אשר הניח יהוה לנסות בם את־ישראל את כל־אשר לא־ידעו את כל־מלחמות כנען׃
- רק למען דעת דרות בני־ישראל ללמדם מלחמה רק אשר־לפנים לא ידעום׃
- חמשת סרני פלשתים וכל־הכנעני והצידני והחוי ישב הר הלבנון מהר בעל חרמון עד לבוא חמת׃
- ויהיו לנסות בם את־ישראל לדעת הישמעו את־מצות יהוה אשר־צוה את־אבותם ביד־משה׃
- ובני ישראל ישבו בקרב הכנעני החתי והאמרי והפרזי והחוי והיבוסי׃
- ויקחו את־בנותיהם להם לנשים ואת־בנותיהם נתנו לבניהם ויעבדו את־אלהיהם׃ ף
- ויעשו בני־ישראל את־הרע בעיני יהוה וישכחו את־יהוה אלהיהם ויעבדו את־הבעלים ואת־האשרות׃
- ויחר־אף יהוה בישראל וימכרם ביד כושן רשעתים מלך ארם נהרים ויעבדו בני־ישראל את־כושן רשעתים שמנה שנים׃
- ויזעקו בני־ישראל אל־יהוה ויקם יהוה מושיע לבני ישראל ויושיעם את עתניאל בן־קנז אחי כלב הקטן ממנו׃
- ותהי עליו רוח־יהוה וישפט את־ישראל ויצא למלחמה ויתן יהוה בידו את־כושן רשעתים מלך ארם ותעז ידו על כושן רשעתים׃
- ותשקט הארץ ארבעים שנה וימת עתניאל בן־קנז׃ ף
- ויספו בני ישראל לעשות הרע בעיני יהוה ויחזק יהוה את־עגלון מלך־מואב על־ישראל על כי־עשו את־הרע בעיני יהוה׃
- ויאסף אליו את־בני עמון ועמלק וילך ויך את־ישראל ויירשו את־עיר התמרים׃
- ויעבדו בני־ישראל את־עגלון מלך־מואב שמונה עשרה שנה׃ ס
- ויזעקו בני־ישראל אל־יהוה ויקם יהוה להם מושיע את־אהוד בן־גרא בן־הימיני איש אטר יד־ימינו וישלחו בני־ישראל בידו מנחה לעגלון מלך מואב׃
- ויעש לו אהוד חרב ולה שני פיות גמד ארכה ויחגר אותה מתחת למדיו על ירך ימינו׃
- ויקרב את־המנחה לעגלון מלך מואב ועגלון איש בריא מאד׃
- ויהי כאשר כלה להקריב את־המנחה וישלח את־העם נשאי המנחה׃
- והוא שב מן־הפסילים אשר את־הגלגל ויאמר דבר־סתר לי אליך המלך ויאמר הס ויצאו מעליו כל־העמדים עליו׃
- ואהוד בא אליו והוא־ישב בעלית המקרה אשר־לו לבדו ויאמר אהוד דבר־אלהים לי אליך ויקם מעל הכסא׃
- וישלח אהוד את־יד שמאלו ויקח את־החרב מעל ירך ימינו ויתקעה בבטנו׃
- ויבא גם־הנצב אחר הלהב ויסגר החלב בעד הלהב כי לא שלף החרב מבטנו ויצא הפרשדנה׃
- ויצא אהוד המסדרונה ויסגר דלתות העליה בעדו ונעל׃
- והוא יצא ועבדיו באו ויראו והנה דלתות העליה נעלות ויאמרו אך מסיך הוא את־רגליו בחדר המקרה׃
- ויחילו עד־בוש והנה איננו פתח דלתות העליה ויקחו את־המפתח ויפתחו והנה אדניהם נפל ארצה מת׃
- ואהוד נמלט עד התמהמהם והוא עבר את־הפסילים וימלט השעירתה׃
- ויהי בבואו ויתקע בשופר בהר אפרים וירדו עמו בני־ישראל מן־ההר והוא לפניהם׃
- ויאמר אלהם רדפו אחרי כי־נתן יהוה את־איביכם את־מואב בידכם וירדו אחריו וילכדו את־מעברות הירדן למואב ולא־נתנו איש לעבר׃
- ויכו את־מואב בעת ההיא כעשרת אלפים איש כל־שמן וכל־איש חיל ולא נמלט איש׃
- ותכנע מואב ביום ההוא תחת יד ישראל ותשקט הארץ שמונים שנה׃ ס
- ואחריו היה שמגר בן־ענת ויך את־פלשתים שש־מאות איש במלמד הבקר וישע גם־הוא את־ישראל׃ ס
| Judges 3 Text (Latin)
- Hæ sunt gentes quas Dominus dereliquit, ut erudiret in eis Israëlem, et omnes qui non noverant bella Chananæorum :
- ut postea discerent filii eorum certare cum hostibus, et habere consuetudinem præliandi :
- quinque satrapas Philisthinorum, omnemque Chananæum, et Sidonium, atque Hevæum, qui habitabat in monte Libano, de monte Baal Hermon usque ad introitum Emath.
- Dimisitque eos, ut in ipsis experiretur Israëlem, utrum audiret mandata Domini quæ præceperat patribus eorum per manum Moysi, an non.
- Itaque filii Israël habitaverunt in medio Chananæi, et Hethæi, et Amorrhæi, et Pherezæi, et Hevæi, et Jebusæi :
- et duxerunt uxores filias eorum, ipsique filias suas filiis eorum tradiderunt, et servierunt diis eorum.
- Feceruntque malum in conspectu Domini, et obliti sunt Dei sui, servientes Baalim et Astaroth.
- Iratusque contra Israël Dominus, tradidit eos in manus Chusan Rasathaim regis Mesopotamiæ, servieruntque ei octo annis.
- Et clamaverunt ad Dominum, qui suscitavit eis salvatorem, et liberavit eos, Othoniel videlicet filium Cenez, fratrem Caleb minorem :
- fuitque in eo spiritus Domini, et judicavit Israël. Egressusque est ad pugnam, et tradidit Dominus in manus ejus Chusan Rasathaim regem Syriæ, et oppressit eum.
- Quievitque terra quadraginta annis, et mortuus est Othoniel filius Cenez.
- Addiderunt autem filii Israël facere malum in conspectu Domini : qui confortavit adversum eos Eglon regem Moab, quia fecerunt malum in conspectu ejus.
- Et copulavit ei filios Ammon, et Amalec : abiitque et percussit Israël, atque possedit urbem palmarum.
- Servieruntque filii Israël Eglon regi Moab decem et octo annis.
- Et postea clamaverunt ad Dominum, qui suscitavit eis salvatorem vocabulo Aod, filium Gera, filii Jemini, qui utraque manu pro dextera utebatur. Miseruntque filii Israël per illum munera Eglon regi Moab.
- Qui fecit sibi gladium ancipitem, habentem in medio capulum longitudinis palmæ manus, et accinctus est eo subter sagum in dextro femore.
- Obtulitque munera Eglon regi Moab. Erat autem Eglon crassus nimis.
- Cumque obtulisset ei munera, prosecutus est socios, qui cum eo venerant.
- Et reversus de Galgalis, ubi erant idola, dixit ad regem : Verbum secretum habeo ad te, o rex. Et ille imperavit silentium : egressisque omnibus qui circa eum erant,
- ingressus est Aod ad eum : sedebat autem in æstivo cœnaculo solus, dixitque : Verbum Dei habeo ad te. Qui statim surrexit de throno.
- Extenditque Aod sinistram manum, et tulit sicam de dextro femore suo, infixitque eam in ventre ejus
- tam valide, ut capulus sequeretur ferrum in vulnere, ac pinguissimo adipe stringeretur. Nec eduxit gladium, sed ita ut percusserat, reliquit in corpore : statimque per secreta naturæ alvi stercora proruperunt.
- Aod autem clausis diligentissime ostiis cœnaculi, et obfirmatis sera,
- per posticum egressus est. Servique regis ingressi viderunt clausas fores cœnaculi, atque dixerunt : Forsitan purgat alvum in æstivo cubiculo.
- Expectantesque diu donec erubescerent, et videntes quod nullus aperiret, tulerunt clavem : et aperientes invenerunt dominum suum in terra jacentem mortuum.
- Aod autem, dum illi turbarentur, effugit, et pertransiit locum idolorum, unde reversus fuerat. Venitque in Seirath :
- et statim insonuit buccina in monte Ephraim : descenderuntque cum eo filii Israël, ipso in fronte gradiente.
- Qui dixit ad eos : Sequimini me : tradidit enim Dominus inimicos nostros Moabitas in manus nostras. Descenderuntque post eum, et occupaverunt vada Jordanis quæ transmittunt in Moab : et non dimiserunt transire quemquam :
- sed percusserunt Moabitas in tempore illo, circiter decem millia, omnes robustos et fortes viros. Nullus eorum evadere potuit.
- Humiliatusque est Moab in die illo sub manu Israël : et quievit terra octoginta annis.
- Post hunc fuit Samgar filius Anath, qui percussit de Philisthiim sexcentos viros vomere : et ipse quoque defendit Israël.
| Judges 3 Text (KJV)
- Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan;
- Only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof;
- Namely, five lords of the Philistines, and all the Canaanites, and the Sidonians, and the Hivites that dwelt in mount Lebanon, from mount Baal-hermon unto the entering in of Hamath.
- And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the LORD, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses.
- And the children of Israel dwelt among the Canaanites, Hittites, and Amorites, and Perizzites, and Hivites, and Jebusites:
- And they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons, and served their gods.
- And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and forgat the LORD their God, and served Baalim and the groves.
- Therefore the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of Chushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia: and the children of Israel served Chushan-rishathaim eight years.
- And when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer to the children of Israel, who delivered them, even Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother.
- And the Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel, and went out to war: and the LORD delivered Chushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed against Chushan-rishathaim.
- And the land had rest forty years. And Othniel the son of Kenaz died.
- And the children of Israel did evil again in the sight of the LORD: and the LORD strengthened Eglon the king of Moab against Israel, because they had done evil in the sight of the LORD.
- And he gathered unto him the children of Ammon and Amalek, and went and smote Israel, and possessed the city of palm trees.
- So the children of Israel served Eglon the king of Moab eighteen years.
- But when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, the LORD raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.
- But Ehud made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh.
- And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: and Eglon was a very fat man.
- And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present.
- But he himself turned again from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him.
- And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of his seat.
- And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly:
- And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.
- Then Ehud went forth through the porch, and shut the doors of the parlour upon him, and locked them.
- When he was gone out, his servants came; and when they saw that, behold, the doors of the parlour were locked, they said, Surely he covereth his feet in his summer chamber.
- And they tarried till they were ashamed: and, behold, he opened not the doors of the parlour; therefore they took a key, and opened them: and, behold, their lord was fallen down dead on the earth.
- And Ehud escaped while they tarried, and passed beyond the quarries, and escaped unto Seirath.
- And it came to pass, when he was come, that he blew a trumpet in the mountain of Ephraim, and the children of Israel went down with him from the mount, and he before them.
- And he said unto them, Follow after me: for the LORD hath delivered your enemies the Moabites into your hand. And they went down after him, and took the fords of Jordan toward Moab, and suffered not a man to pass over.
- And they slew of Moab at that time about ten thousand men, all lusty, and all men of valour; and there escaped not a man.
- So Moab was subdued that day under the hand of Israel. And the land had rest fourscore years.
- And after him was Shamgar the son of Anath, which slew of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox goad: and he also delivered Israel.