| Luke 8 - Versions
| Luke 8 Text (WEB)
- It happened soon afterwards, that he went about through cities and villages, preaching and bringing the good news of the Kingdom of God. With him were the twelve,
- and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary who was called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out;
- and Joanna, the wife of Chuzas, Herod's steward; Susanna; and many others; who served them from their possessions.
- When a great multitude came together, and people from every city were coming to him, he spoke by a parable.
- "The farmer went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, some fell along the road, and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the sky devoured it.
- Other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away, because it had no moisture.
- Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it.
- Other fell into the good ground, and grew, and brought forth fruit one hundred times." As he said these things, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"
- Then his disciples asked him, "What does this parable mean?"
- He said, "To you it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables; that 'seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.'
- Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
- Those along the road are those who hear, then the devil comes, and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved.
- Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation.
- That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
- That in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it tightly, and bring forth fruit with patience.
- "No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light.
- For nothing is hidden, that will not be revealed; nor anything secret, that will not be known and come to light.
- Be careful therefore how you hear. For whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever doesn't have, from him will be taken away even that which he thinks he has."
- His mother and brothers came to him, and they could not come near him for the crowd.
- It was told him by some saying, "Your mother and your brothers stand outside, desiring to see you."
- But he answered them, "My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it."
- Now it happened on one of those days, that he entered into a boat, himself and his disciples, and he said to them, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they launched out.
- But as they sailed, he fell asleep. A wind storm came down on the lake, and they were taking on dangerous amounts of water.
- They came to him, and awoke him, saying, "Master, master, we are dying!" He awoke, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water, and they ceased, and it was calm.
- He said to them, "Where is your faith?" Being afraid they marveled, saying one to another, "Who is this, then, that he commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him?"
- They arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee.
- When Jesus stepped ashore, a certain man out of the city who had demons for a long time met him. He wore no clothes, and didn't live in a house, but in the tombs.
- When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, "What do I have to do with you, Jesus, you Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don't torment me!"
- For Jesus was commanding the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For the unclean spirit had often seized the man. He was kept under guard, and bound with chains and fetters. Breaking the bands apart, he was driven by the demon into the desert.
- Jesus asked him, "What is your name?" He said, "Legion," for many demons had entered into him.
- They begged him that he would not command them to go into the abyss.
- Now there was there a herd of many pigs feeding on the mountain, and they begged him that he would allow them to enter into those. He allowed them.
- The demons came out from the man, and entered into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake, and were drowned.
- When those who fed them saw what had happened, they fled, and told it in the city and in the country.
- People went out to see what had happened. They came to Jesus, and found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus' feet, clothed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.
- Those who saw it told them how he who had been possessed by demons was healed.
- All the people of the surrounding country of the Gadarenes asked him to depart from them, for they were very much afraid. He entered into the boat, and returned.
- But the man from whom the demons had gone out begged him that he might go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying,
- "Return to your house, and declare what great things God has done for you." He went his way, proclaiming throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.
- It happened, when Jesus returned, that the multitude welcomed him, for they were all waiting for him.
- Behold, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue. He fell down at Jesus' feet, and begged him to come into his house,
- for he had an only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she was dying. But as he went, the multitudes pressed against him.
- A woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her living on physicians, and could not be healed by any,
- came behind him, and touched the fringe of his cloak, and immediately the flow of her blood stopped.
- Jesus said, "Who touched me?" When all denied it, Peter and those with him said, "Master, the multitudes press and jostle you, and you say, 'Who touched me?'"
- But Jesus said, "Someone did touch me, for I perceived that power has gone out of me."
- When the woman saw that she was not hidden, she came trembling, and falling down before him declared to him in the presence of all the people the reason why she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately.
- He said to her, "Daughter, cheer up. Your faith has made you well. Go in peace."
- While he still spoke, one from the ruler of the synagogue's house came, saying to him, "Your daughter is dead. Don't trouble the Teacher."
- But Jesus hearing it, answered him, "Don't be afraid. Only believe, and she will be healed."
- When he came to the house, he didn't allow anyone to enter in, except Peter, John, James, the father of the child, and her mother.
- All were weeping and mourning her, but he said, "Don't weep. She isn't dead, but sleeping."
- They were ridiculing him, knowing that she was dead.
- But he put them all outside, and taking her by the hand, he called, saying, "Child, arise!"
- Her spirit returned, and she rose up immediately. He commanded that something be given to her to eat.
- Her parents were amazed, but he commanded them to tell no one what had been done.
| Luke 8 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי אחרי כן ויעבר מעיר אל עיר ומכפר אל כפר קורא ומבשר את מלכות האלהים ושנים העשר אתו׃
- ונשים אשר נרפאו מרוחות רעות ומחליים מרים הנקראה מגדלית אשר גרשו ממנה שבעה שדים׃
- ויוחנה אשת כוזא סוכן הורדוס ושושנה ואחרות רבות אשר שרתהו מנכסיהן׃
- ויהי בהתאסף המון עם רב אשר יצאו אליו מעיר ועיר וידבר במשל׃
- הזורע יצא לזרע את זרעו ובזרעו נפל מן הזרע על יד הדרך וירמס ועוף השמים אכלו׃
- ויש אשר נפל על הסלע ויצמח וייבש כי לא היתה לו לחה׃
- ויש אשר נפל בתוך הקצים ויצמחו הקצים עמו וימעכהו׃
- ויש אשר נפל על האדמה הטובה ויצמח ויעש פרי מאה שערים כזאת דבר ויזעק מי אשר אזנים לו לשמע ישמע׃
- וישאלהו תלמידיו לאמר מה המשל הזה׃
- ויאמר לכם נתן לדעת את סודות מלכות האלהים ולאחרים במשלים למען בראתם לא יראו ובשמעם לא יבינו׃
- וזה הוא המשל הזרע דבר אלהים הוא׃
- ואשר על יד הדרך הם השמעים ואחר כן בא השטן ונשא את הדבר מלבם פן יאמינו ונושעו׃
- ואשר על הסלע הם המקבלים בשמחה את הדבר בשמעם ושרש אין להם רק לשעה מאמינים ובעת הנסיון יסגו אחור׃
- ואשר נפל בין הקצים הם השמעים והוליכם להם וימכו בדאגות ובעשר ובתאות החיים ופרי לא ישוו למו׃
- ואשר באדמה הטובה הם השמרים בלב טוב וטהור את הדבר אשר שמעו ועשים פרי בתוחלת׃
- ואין איש מדליק נר אשר יכסה אותו בכלי או ישימהו תחת המטה כי אם על המנורה יעלהו למען יראו כל באי הבית את האור׃
- כי אין דבר נעלם אשר לא יגלה ואין גנוז אשר לא יודע ובא לאור׃
- לכן ראו איך תשמעון כי כל אשר יש לו נתון ינתן לו וכל אשר אין לו גם את אשר הוא חשב להיות לו יקח ממנו׃
- ויבאו אליו אמו ואחיו ולא יכלו לגשת אליו מפני העם׃
- ויגד לו לאמר אמך ואחיך עמדים בחוץ והם חפצים לראותך׃
- ויען ויאמר אליהם אמי ואחי הם השמעים ועשים את דבר האלהים׃
- ויהי היום וירד אל אניה הוא ותלמידיו ויאמר אליהם נעברה אל עבר הים וישוטו הימה׃
- ויהי בלכתם באניה וישכב ויישן ורוח סערה ירדה על הים וישטפו עליהם המים ויהיו בסכנה׃
- ויגשו ויעירו אותו לאמר מורה מורה אבדנו ויעור ויגער ברוח ובמשברי ים וישתקו ותהי דממה׃
- ויאמר אליהם איה אמונתכם וייראו ויתמהו ויאמרו איש אל רעהו מי אפוא הוא המצוה גם את הרוחות ואת המים וישמעו לו׃
- ויעברו ויבאו אל ארץ הגדריים אשר ממול הגליל׃
- ויצא אל היבשה ויפגשהו איש מן העיר אשר שדים בו מימים רבים ובגד לא לבש ובבית לא ישב כי אם בקברים׃
- וירא את ישוע ויפל לפניו ויקרא בקול גדול מה לי ולך ישוע בן אל עליון מבקש אני ממך אשר לא תענני׃
- כי צוה את הרוח הטמא לצאת מן האיש כי ימים רבים חטף אתו ונאסר בזיקים ונשמר בכבלים והיה בנתקו את המוסרות ונדחף ביד השד אל המדברות׃
- וישאל אתו ישוע לאמר מה שמך ויאמר לגיון שמי כי שדים רבים נכנסו בו׃
- ויתחנן לו לבלתי צות אתם לרדת אל התהום׃
- ויהי שם עדר חזירים רבים על המרעה בהר ויתחננו לו כי יניח להם לבוא אל תוכם וינח להם׃
- ויצאו השדים מן האדם ההוא ויבאו בחזירים וישתער העדר מן המורד אל הים ויטבע׃
- וינוסו הרעים כראותם את אשר נעשה ויגידו הדבר בעיר ובכפרים׃
- ויצאו לראת את אשר נעשה ויבאו אל ישוע וימצאו שם את האדם אשר יצאו ממנו השדים ישב לרגלי ישוע מלבש וטוב שכל וייראו׃
- ויספרו להם הראים איך נרפא אחוז השדים׃
- ויבקשו ממנו כל המון חבל הגדריים ללכת מאתם כי אימה גדולה נפלה עליהם וירד אל האניה וישב׃
- ויבקש ממנו האיש אשר יצאו ממנו השדים לשבת אתו וישלח אתו ישוע באמרו׃
- שוב לביתך וספר הגדלות אשר עשה לך האלהים וילך לו וישמע בכל העיר את הגדלות אשר עשה לו ישוע׃
- ויהי בשוב ישוע ויקבל אתו העם כי כלם היו מחכים לו׃
- והנה בא איש ושמו יאיר והוא ראש בית הכנסת ויפל לרגלי ישוע ויתחנן לו לבוא אתו אל ביתו׃
- כי בת יחידה כשתים עשרה שנה היתה לו והיא נוטה למות ויהי בלכתו שמה וידחקהו המון העם׃
- ואשה זבת דם שתים עשרה שנה אשר הוציאה כל קנינה לרפאים ואין איש יכל לרפאתה׃
- היא קרבה מאחריו ותגע בציצת בגדו וזוב דמה עמד פתאם׃
- ויאמר ישוע מי זה נגע בי וכלם כחשו ויאמר פטרוס והעמדים אצלו מורה המון העם דחקים ולחצים אתך ואתה תאמר מי נגע בי׃
- ויאמר ישוע נגע בי אדם כי ידעתי אשר יצאה ממני גבורה׃
- ותרא האשה כי לא נסתרה ממנו ותחרד לקראתו ותפל לפניו ותגד באזני כל העם על מה נגעה בו ואיך נרפאה פתאם׃
- ויאמר אליה חזקי בתי אמונתך הושיעה לך לכי לשלום׃
- עודנו מדבר ואיש בא מבית ראש הכנסת ויאמר מתה בתך אל תטריח את המורה׃
- וישמע ישוע ויען ויאמר לו אל תירא אך האמן והיא תושע׃
- ויבא הביתה ולא הניח לאיש לבוא אתו בלתי אם לפטרוס וליעקב וליוחנן ולאבי הילדה ולאמה׃
- וכלם בכים וספדים לה ויאמר אל תבכו כי לא מתה אך ישנה היא׃
- וישחקו עליו באשר ידעו כי מתה׃
- והוא אחז בידה ויקרא לאמר הילדה קומי׃
- ותשב רוחה ותקם פתאם ויצו לתת לה לאכול׃
- וישתוממו אביה ואמה והוא צוה אתם לבלתי הגיד לאיש את אשר נעשה׃
| Luke 8 Text (Latin)
- Et factum est deinceps, et ipse iter faciebat per civitates, et castella prædicans, et evangelizans regnum Dei : et duodecim cum illo,
- et mulieres aliquæ, quæ erant curatæ a spiritibus malignis et infirmatibus : Maria, quæ vocatur Magdalene, de qua septem dæmonia exierant,
- et Joanna uxor Chusæ procuratoris Herodis, et Susanna, et aliæ multæ, quæ ministrabant ei de facultatibus suis.
- Cum autem turba plurima convenirent, et de civitatibus properarent ad eum, dixit per similitudinem :
- Exiit qui seminat, seminare semen suum. Et dum seminat, aliud cecidit secus viam, et conculcatum est, et volucres cæli comederunt illud.
- Et aliud cecidit supra petrum : et natum aruit, quia non habebat humorem.
- Et aliud cecidit inter spinas, et simul exortæ spinæ suffocaverunt illud.
- Et aliud cecidit in terram bonam : et ortum fecit fructum centuplum. Hæc dicens clamabat : Qui habet aures audiendi, audiat.
- Interrogabant autem eum discipuli ejus, quæ esset hæc parabola.
- Quibus ipse dixit : Vobis datum est nosse mysterium regni Dei, ceteris autem in parabolis : ut videntes non videant, et audientes non intelligant.
- Est autem hæc parabola : Semen est verbum Domini.
- Qui autem secus viam, hi sunt qui audiunt : deinde venit diabolus, et tollit verbum de corde eorum, ne credentes salvi fiant.
- Nam qui supra petram, qui cum audierint, cum gaudio suscipiunt verbum : et hi radices non habent : qui ad tempus credunt, et in tempore tentationis recedunt.
- Quod autem in spinas cecidit : hi sunt qui audierunt, et a sollicitudinibus, et divitiis, et voluptatibus vitæ euntes, suffocantur, et non referunt fructum.
- Quod autem in bonam terram : hi sunt qui in corde bono et optimo audientes verbum retinent, et fructum afferunt in patientia.
- Nemo autem lucernam accendens, operit eam vase, aut subtus lectum ponit : sed supra candelabrum ponit, ut intrantes videant lumen.
- Non est enim occultum, quod non manifestetur : nec absconditum, quod non cognoscatur, et in palam veniat.
- Videte ergo quomodo audiatis ? Qui enim habet, dabitur illi : et quicumque non habet, etiam quod putat se habere, auferetur ab illo.
- Venerunt autem ad illum mater et fratres ejus, et non poterant adire eum præ turba.
- Et nuntiatum est illi : Mater tua et fratres tui stant foris, volentes te videre.
- Qui respondens, dixit ad eos : Mater mea et fratres mei hi sunt, qui verbum Dei audiunt et faciunt.
- Factum est autem in una dierum : et ipse ascendit in naviculam, et discipuli ejus, et ait ad illos : Transfretemus trans stagnum. Et ascenderunt.
- Et navigantibus illis, obdormivit, et descendit procella venti in stagnum, et complebantur, et periclitabantur.
- Accedentes autem suscitaverunt eum, dicentes : Præceptor, perimus. At ille surgens, increpavit ventum, et tempestatem aquæ, et cessavit : et facta est tranquillitas.
- Dixit autem illis : Ubi est fides vestra ? Qui timentes, mirati sunt ad invicem, dicentes : Quis putas hic est, quia et ventis, et mari imperat, et obediunt ei ?
- Et navigaverunt ad regionem Gerasenorum, quæ est contra Galilæam.
- Et cum egressus esset ad terram, occurrit illi vir quidam, qui habebat dæmonium jam temporibus multis, et vestimento non induebatur, neque in domo manebat, sed in monumentis.
- Is, ut vidit Jesum, procidit ante illum : et exclamans voce magna, dixit : Quid mihi et tibi est, Jesu Fili Dei Altissimi ? obsecro te, ne me torqueas.
- Præcipiebat enim spiritui immundo ut exiret ab homine. Multis enim temporibus arripiebat illum, et vinciebatur catenis, et compedibus custoditus. Et ruptis vinculis agebatur a dæmonio in deserta.
- Interrogavit autem illum Jesus, dicens : Quod tibi nomen est ? At ille dixit : Legio : quia intraverant dæmonia multa in eum.
- Et rogabant illum ne imperaret illis ut in abyssum irent.
- Erat autem ibi grex porcorum multorum pascentium in monte : et rogabant eum, ut permitteret eis in illos ingredi. Et permisit illis.
- Exierunt ergo dæmonia ab homine, et intraverunt in porcos : et impetu abiit grex per præceps in stagnum, et suffocatus est.
- Quod ut viderunt factum qui pascebant, fugerunt, et nuntiaverunt in civitatem et in villas.
- Exierunt autem videre quod factum est, et venerunt ad Jesum, et invenerunt hominem sedentem, a quo dæmonia exierant, vestitum ac sana mente, ad pedes ejus, et timuerunt.
- Nuntiaverunt autem illis et qui viderant, quomodo sanus factus esset a legione :
- et rogaverunt illum omnis multitudo regionis Gerasenorum ut discederet ab ipsis : quia magno timore tenebantur. Ipse autem ascendens navim, reversus est.
- Et rogabat illum vir, a quo dæmonia exierant, ut cum eo esset. Dimisit autem eum Jesus, dicens :
- Redi in domum tuam, et narra quanta tibi fecit Deus. Et abiit per universam civitatem, prædicans quanta illi fecisset Jesus.
- Factum est autem cum rediisset Jesus, excepit illum turba : erunt enim omnes exspectantes eum.
- Et ecce venit vir, cui nomen Jairus, et ipse princeps synagogæ erat : et cecidit ad pedes Jesu, rogans eum ut intraret in domum ejus,
- quia unica filia erat ei fere annorum duodecim, et hæc moriebatur. Et contigit, dum iret, a turba comprimebatur.
- Et mulier quædam erat in fluxu sanguinis ab annis duodecim, quæ in medicos erogaverat omnem substantiam suam, nec ab ullo potuit curari :
- accessit retro, et tetigit fimbriam vestimenti ejus : et confestim stetit fluxus sanguinis ejus.
- Et ait Jesus : Quis est, qui me tetigit ? Negantibus autem omnibus, dixit Petrus, et qui cum illo erant : Præceptor, turbæ te comprimunt, et affligunt, et dicis : Quis me tetigit ?
- Et dicit Jesus : Tetigit me aliquis : nam ego novi virtutem de me exiisse.
- Videns autem mulier, quia non latuit, tremens venit, et procidit ante pedes ejus : et ob quam causam tetigerit eum, indicavit coram omni populo : et quemadmodum confestim sanata sit.
- At ipse dixit ei : Filia, fides tua salvam te fecit : vade in pace.
- Adhuc illo loquente, venit quidam ad principem synagogæ, dicens ei : Quia mortua est filia tua, noli vexare illum.
- Jesus autem, audito hoc verbo, respondit patri puellæ : Noli timere, crede tantum, et salva erit.
- Et cum venisset domum, non permisit intrare secum quemquam, nisi Petrum, et Jacobum, et Joannem, et patrem, et matrem puellæ.
- Flebant autem omnes, et plangebant illam. At ille dixit : Nolite flere : non est mortua puella, sed dormit.
- Et deridebant eum, scientes quod mortua esset.
- Ipse autem tenens manum ejus clamavit, dicens : Puella, surge.
- Et reversus est spiritus ejus, et surrexit continuo. Et jussit illi dari manducare.
- Et stupuerunt parentes ejus, quibus præcepit ne alicui dicerent quod factum erat.
| Luke 8 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him,
- And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils,
- And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.
- And when much people were gathered together, and were come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable:
- A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.
- And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture.
- And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.
- And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
- And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?
- And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
- Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
- Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
- They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
- And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
- But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
- No man, when he hath lighted a candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the light.
- For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
- Take heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given; and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he seemeth to have.
- Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press.
- And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.
- And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.
- Now it came to pass on a certain day, that he went into a ship with his disciples: and he said unto them, Let us go over unto the other side of the lake. And they launched forth.
- But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water, and were in jeopardy.
- And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.
- And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.
- And they arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is over against Galilee.
- And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs.
- When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.
- (For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
- And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
- And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.
- And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.
- Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.
- When they that fed them saw what was done, they fled, and went and told it in the city and in the country.
- Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.
- They also which saw it told them by what means he that was possessed of the devils was healed.
- Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back again.
- Now the man out of whom the devils were departed besought him that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying,
- Return to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great things Jesus had done unto him.
- And it came to pass, that, when Jesus was returned, the people gladly received him: for they were all waiting for him.
- And, behold, there came a man named Jairus, and he was a ruler of the synagogue: and he fell down at Jesus' feet, and besought him that he would come into his house:
- For he had one only daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay a dying. But as he went the people thronged him.
- And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any,
- Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.
- And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
- And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.
- And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him and how she was healed immediately.
- And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.
- While he yet spake, there cometh one from the ruler of the synagogue's house, saying to him, Thy daughter is dead; trouble not the Master.
- But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.
- And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, and James, and John, and the father and the mother of the maiden.
- And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
- And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
- And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
- And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.
- And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.