| Ruth 1 - Versions
| Ruth 1 Text (WEB)
- It happened in the days when the judges judged, that there was a famine in the land. A certain man of Bethlehem Judah went to live in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
- The name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehem Judah. They came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
- Elimelech, Naomi's husband, died; and she was left, and her two sons.
- They took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they lived there about ten years.
- Mahlon and Chilion both died, and the woman was bereaved of her two children and of her husband.
- Then she arose with her daughters-in-law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that Yahweh had visited his people in giving them bread.
- She went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters-in-law with her; and they went on the way to return to the land of Judah.
- Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go, return each of you to her mother's house: Yahweh deal kindly with you, as you have dealt with the dead, and with me.
- Yahweh grant you that you may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband." Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice, and wept.
- They said to her, "No, but we will return with you to your people."
- Naomi said, "Go back, my daughters. Why do you want to go with me? Do I still have sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
- Go back, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say, 'I have hope,' if I should even have a husband tonight, and should also bear sons;
- would you then wait until they were grown? Would you then refrain from having husbands? No, my daughters, for it grieves me much for your sakes, for the hand of Yahweh has gone out against me."
- They lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth joined with her.
- She said, "Behold, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people, and to her god. Follow your sister-in-law."
- Ruth said, "Don't entreat me to leave you, and to return from following after you, for where you go, I will go; and where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God;
- where you die, will I die, and there will I be buried. Yahweh do so to me, and more also, if anything but death part you and me."
- When she saw that she was steadfastly minded to go with her, she left off speaking to her.
- So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. It happened, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and [the women] said, "Is this Naomi?"
- She said to them, "Don't call me Naomi. Call me Mara; for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me.
- I went out full, and Yahweh has brought me home again empty; why do you call me Naomi, since Yahweh has testified against me, and the Almighty has afflicted me?"
- So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter-in-law, with her, who returned out of the country of Moab: and they came to Bethlehem in the beginning of barley harvest.
| Ruth 1 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בימי שפט השפטים ויהי רעב בארץ וילך איש מבית לחם יהודה לגור בשדי מואב הוא ואשתו ושני בניו׃
- ושם האיש אלימלך ושם אשתו נעמי ושם שני־בניו מחלון וכליון אפרתים מבית לחם יהודה ויבאו שדי־מואב ויהיו־שם׃
- וימת אלימלך איש נעמי ותשאר היא ושני בניה׃
- וישאו להם נשים מאביות שם האחת ערפה ושם השנית רות וישבו שם כעשר שנים׃
- וימותו גם־שניהם מחלון וכליון ותשאר האשה משני ילדיה ומאישה׃
- ותקם היא וכלתיה ותשב משדי מואב כי שמעה בשדה מואב כי־פקד יהוה את־עמו לתת להם לחם׃
- ותצא מן־המקום אשר היתה־שמה ושתי כלתיה עמה ותלכנה בדרך לשוב אל־ארץ יהודה׃
- ותאמר נעמי לשתי כלתיה לכנה שבנה אשה לבית אמה יהוה עםכם חסד כאשר עשיתם עם־המתים ועמדי׃
- יתן יהוה לכם ומצאן מנוחה אשה בית אישה ותשק להן ותשאנה קולן ותבכינה׃
- ותאמרנה־לה כי־אתך נשוב לעמך׃
- ותאמר נעמי שבנה בנתי למה תלכנה עמי העוד־לי בנים במעי והיו לכם לאנשים׃
- שבנה בנתי לכן כי זקנתי מהיות לאיש כי אמרתי יש־לי תקוה גם הייתי הלילה לאיש וגם ילדתי בנים׃
- הלהן תשברנה עד אשר יגדלו הלהן תעגנה לבלתי היות לאיש אל בנתי כי־מר־לי מאד םכם כי־יצאה בי יד־יהוה׃
- ותשנה קולן ותבכינה עוד ותשק ערפה לחמותה ורות דבקה בה׃
- ותאמר הנה שבה יבמתך אל־עמה ואל־אלהיה שובי אחרי יבמתך׃
- ותאמר רות אל־תפגעי־בי לעזבך לשוב מאחריך כי אל־אשר תלכי אלך ובאשר תליני אלין עמך עמי ואלהיך אלהי׃
- באשר תמותי אמות ושם אקבר כה יעשה יהוה לי וכה יסיף כי המות יפריד ביני ובינך׃
- ותרא כי־מתאמצת היא ללכת אתה ותחדל לדבר אליה׃
- ותלכנה שתיהם עד־באנה בית לחם ויהי כבאנה בית לחם ותהם כל־העיר עליהן ותאמרנה הזאת נעמי׃
- ותאמר אליהן אל־תקראנה לי נעמי קראן לי מרא כי־המר שדי לי מאד׃
- אני מלאה הלכתי וריקם השיבני יהוה למה תקראנה לי נעמי ויהוה ענה בי ושדי הרע לי׃
- ותשב נעמי ורות המואביה כלתה עמה השבה משדי מואב והמה באו בית לחם בתחלת קציר שערים׃
| Ruth 1 Text (Latin)
- In diebus unius judicis, quando judices præerant, facta est fames in terra. Abiitque homo de Bethlehem Juda, ut peregrinaretur in regione Moabitide cum uxore sua ac duobus liberis.
- Ipse vocabatur Elimelech, et uxor ejus Noëmi : et duo filii, alter Mahalon, et alter Chelion, Ephrathæi de Bethlehem Juda. Ingressique regionem Moabitidem, morabantur ibi.
- Et mortuus est Elimelech maritus Noëmi : remansitque ipsa cum filiis.
- Qui acceperunt uxores Moabitidas, quarum una vocabatur Orpha, altera vero Ruth. Manseruntque ibi decem annis,
- et ambo mortui sunt, Mahalon videlicet et Chelion : remansitque mulier orbata duobus liberis ac marito.
- Et surrexit ut in patriam pergeret cum utraque nuru sua de regione Moabitide : audierat enim quod respexisset Dominus populum suum, et dedisset eis escas.
- Egressa est itaque de loco peregrinationis suæ, cum utraque nuru : et jam in via revertendi posita in terram Juda,
- dixit ad eas : Ite in domum matris vestræ : faciat vobiscum Dominus misericordiam, sicut fecistis cum mortuis et mecum.
- Det vobis invenire requiem in domibus virorum quos sortituræ estis. Et osculata est eas. Quæ elevata voce flere cœperunt,
- et dicere : Tecum pergemus ad populum tuum.
- Quibus illa respondit : Revertimini, filiæ meæ, cur venitis mecum ? num ultra habeo filios in utero meo, ut viros ex me sperare possitis ?
- Revertimini, filiæ meæ, et abite : jam enim senectute confecta sum, nec apta vinculo conjugali : etiamsi possem hac nocte concipere, et parere filios,
- si eos expectare velitis donec crescant, et annos pubertatis impleant, ante eritis vetulæ quam nubatis. Nolite, quæso, filiæ meæ : quia vestra angustia magis me premit, et egressa est manus Domini contra me.
- Elevata igitur voce, rursum flere cœperunt : Orpha osculata est socrum, ac reversa est : Ruth adhæsit socrui suæ :
- cui dixit Noëmi : En reversa est cognata tua ad populum suum, et ad deos suos, vade cum ea.
- Quæ respondit : Ne adverseris mihi ut relinquam te et abeam : quocumque enim perrexeris, pergam, et ubi morata fueris, et ego pariter morabor. Populus tuus populus meus, et Deus tuus Deus meus.
- Quæ te terra morientem susceperit, in ea moriar : ibique locum accipiam sepulturæ. Hæc mihi faciat Dominus, et hæc addat, si non sola mors me et te separaverit.
- Videns ergo Noëmi quod obstinato animo Ruth decrevisset secum pergere, adversari noluit, nec ad suos ultra reditum persuadere :
- profectæque sunt simul, et venerunt in Bethlehem. Quibus urbem ingressis, velox apud cunctos fama percrebruit : dicebantque mulieres : Hæc est illa Noëmi.
- Quibus ait : Ne vocetis me Noëmi (id est, pulchram), sed vocate me Mara (id est, amaram), quia amaritudine valde replevit me Omnipotens.
- Egressa sum plena, et vacuam reduxit me Dominus. Cur ergo vocatis me Noëmi, quam Dominus humiliavit, et afflixit Omnipotens ?
- Venit ergo Noëmi cum Ruth Moabitide nuru sua, de terra peregrinationis suæ : ac reversa est in Bethlehem, quando primum hordea metebantur.
| Ruth 1 Text (KJV)
- Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
- And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
- And Elimelech Naomi's husband died; and she was left, and her two sons.
- And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.
- And Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband.
- Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the LORD had visited his people in giving them bread.
- Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah.
- And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.
- The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept.
- And they said unto her, Surely we will return with thee unto thy people.
- And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
- Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;
- Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD is gone out against me.
- And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.
- And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.
- And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:
- Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
- When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.
- So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all the city was moved about them, and they said, Is this Naomi?
- And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.
- I went out full, and the LORD hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?
- So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter in law, with her, which returned out of the country of Moab: and they came to Bethlehem in the beginning of barley harvest.