|2 Samuel 20 - Versions
|2 Samuel 20 Text (WEB)
- There happened to be there a base fellow, whose name was Sheba, the son of Bichri, a Benjamite: and he blew the trumpet, and said, "We have no portion in David, neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse. Every man to his tents, Israel!"
- So all the men of Israel went up from following David, and followed Sheba the son of Bichri; but the men of Judah joined with their king, from the Jordan even to Jerusalem.
- David came to his house at Jerusalem; and the king took the ten women his concubines, whom he had left to keep the house, and put them in custody, and provided them with sustenance, but didn't go in to them. So they were shut up to the day of their death, living in widowhood.
- Then the king said to Amasa, "Call me the men of Judah together within three days, and be here present."
- So Amasa went to call [the men of] Judah together; but he stayed longer than the set time which he had appointed him.
- David said to Abishai, "Now Sheba the son of Bichri will do us more harm than did Absalom. Take your lord's servants, and pursue after him, lest he get himself fortified cities, and escape out of our sight."
- There went out after him Joab's men, and the Cherethites and the Pelethites, and all the mighty men; and they went out of Jerusalem, to pursue after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- When they were at the great stone which is in Gibeon, Amasa came to meet them. Joab was clothed in his apparel of war that he had put on, and on it was a sash with a sword fastened on his waist in its sheath; and as he went forth it fell out.
- Joab said to Amasa, "Is it well with you, my brother?" Joab took Amasa by the beard with his right hand to kiss him.
- But Amasa took no heed to the sword that was in Joab's hand. So he struck him with it in the body, and shed out his bowels to the ground, and didn't strike him again; and he died. Joab and Abishai his brother pursued after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- There stood by him one of Joab's young men, and said, "He who favors Joab, and he who is for David, let him follow Joab!"
- Amasa lay wallowing in his blood in the midst of the highway. When the man saw that all the people stood still, he carried Amasa out of the highway into the field, and cast a garment over him, when he saw that everyone who came by him stood still.
- When he was removed out of the highway, all the people went on after Joab, to pursue after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- He went through all the tribes of Israel to Abel, and to Beth Maacah, and all the Berites: and they were gathered together, and went also after him.
- They came and besieged him in Abel of Beth Maacah, and they cast up a mound against the city, and it stood against the rampart; and all the people who were with Joab battered the wall, to throw it down.
- Then a wise woman cried out of the city, "Hear, hear! Please say to Joab, 'Come near here, that I may speak with you.'"
- He came near to her; and the woman said, "Are you Joab?" He answered, "I am." Then she said to him, "Hear the words of your handmaid." He answered, "I do hear."
- Then she spoke, saying, "They were used to say in old times, 'They shall surely ask counsel at Abel;' and so they settled it.
- I am among those who are peaceable and faithful in Israel. You seek to destroy a city and a mother in Israel. Why will you swallow up the inheritance of Yahweh?"
- Joab answered, "Far be it, far be it from me, that I should swallow up or destroy.
- The matter is not so. But a man of the hill country of Ephraim, Sheba the son of Bichri by name, has lifted up his hand against the king, even against David. Deliver him only, and I will depart from the city." The woman said to Joab, "Behold, his head shall be thrown to you over the wall."
- Then the woman went to all the people in her wisdom. They cut off the head of Sheba the son of Bichri, and threw it out to Joab. He blew the trumpet, and they were dispersed from the city, every man to his tent. Joab returned to Jerusalem to the king.
- Now Joab was over all the army of Israel; and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was over the Cherethites and over the Pelethites;
- and Adoram was over the men subject to forced labor; and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud was the recorder;
- and Sheva was scribe; and Zadok and Abiathar were priests;
- and also Ira the Jairite was chief minister to David.
|2 Samuel 20 Text (Hebrew)
- ושם נקרא איש בליעל ושמו שבע בן־בכרי איש ימיני ויתקע בשפר ויאמר אין־לנו חלק בדוד ולא נחלה־לנו בבן־ישי איש לאהליו ישראל׃
- ויעל כל־איש ישראל מאחרי דוד אחרי שבע בן־בכרי ואיש יהודה דבקו במלכם מן־הירדן ועד־ירושלם׃
- ויבא דוד אל־ביתו ירושלם ויקח המלך את עשר־נשים פלגשים אשר הניח לשמר הבית ויתנם בית־משמרת ויכלכלם ואליהם לא־בא ותהיינה צררות עד־יום מתן אלמנות חיות׃ ס
- ויאמר המלך אל־עמשא הזעק־לי את־איש־יהודה שלשת ימים ואתה פה עמד׃
- וילך עמשא להזעיק את־יהודה מן־המועד אשר יעדו׃ ס
- ויאמר דוד אל־אבישי עתה ירע לנו שבע בן־בכרי מן־אבשלום אתה קח את־עבדי אדניך ורדף אחריו פן־מצא לו ערים בצרות והציל עיננו׃
- ויצאו אחריו אנשי יואב והכרתי והפלתי וכל־הגברים ויצאו מירושלם לרדף אחרי שבע בן־בכרי׃
- הם עם־האבן הגדולה אשר בגבעון ועמשא בא לפניהם ויואב חגור מדו לבשו חגור חרב מצמדת על־מתניו בתערה והוא יצא ותפל׃ ס
- ויאמר יואב לעמשא השלום אתה אחי ותחז יד־ימין יואב בזקן עמשא לנשק־לו׃
- ועמשא לא־נשמר בחרב אשר ביד־יואב ויכהו בה אל־החמש וישפך מעיו ארצה ולא־שנה לו וימת ס ויואב ואבישי אחיו רדף אחרי שבע בן־בכרי׃
- ואיש עמד עליו מנערי יואב ויאמר מי אשר חפץ ביואב ומי אשר־לדוד אחרי יואב׃
- ועמשא מתגלל בדם בתוך המסלה וירא האיש כי־עמד כל־העם ויסב את־עמשא מן־המסלה השדה וישלך עליו בגד כאשר ראה כל־הבא עליו ועמד׃
- כאשר הגה מן־המסלה עבר כל־איש אחרי יואב לרדף אחרי שבע בן־בכרי׃
- ויעבר בכל־שבטי ישראל אבלה ובית מעכה וכל־הברים ס ויבאו אף־אחריו׃
- ויבאו ויצרו עליו באבלה בית המעכה וישפכו סללה אל־העיר ותעמד בחל וכל־העם אשר את־יואב משחיתם להפיל החומה׃
- ותקרא אשה חכמה מן־העיר שמעו שמעו אמרו־נא אל־יואב קרב עד־הנה ואדברה אליך׃
- ויקרב אליה ותאמר האשה האתה יואב ויאמר אני ותאמר לו שמע דברי אמתך ויאמר שמע אנכי׃
- ותאמר לאמר דבר ידברו בראשנה לאמר שאל ישאלו באבל וכן התמו׃
- אנכי שלמי אמוני ישראל אתה מבקש להמית עיר ואם בישראל למה תבלע נחלת יהוה׃ ף
- ויען יואב ויאמר חלילה חלילה לי אם־אבלע ואם־אשחית׃
- לא־כן הדבר כי איש מהר אפרים שבע בן־בכרי שמו נשא ידו במלך בדוד תנו־אתו לבדו ואלכה מעל העיר ותאמר האשה אל־יואב הנה ראשו משלך אליך בעד החומה׃
- ותבוא האשה אל־כל־העם בחכמתה ויכרתו את־ראש שבע בן־בכרי וישלכו אל־יואב ויתקע בשופר ויפצו מעל־העיר איש לאהליו ויואב שב ירושלם אל־המלך׃ ס
- ויואב אל כל־הצבא ישראל ובניה בן־יהוידע על־ ועל־הפלתי׃
- ואדרם על־המס ויהושפט בן־אחילוד המזכיר׃
- ספר וצדוק ואביתר כהנים׃
- וגם עירא היארי היה כהן לדוד׃ ס
|2 Samuel 20 Text (Latin)
- Accidit quoque ut ibi esset vir Belial, nomine Seba, filius Bochri, vir Jemineus : et cecinit buccina, et ait : Non est nobis pars in David, neque hæreditas in filio Isai : revertere in tabernacula tua Israël.
- Et separatus est omnis Israël a David, secutusque est Seba filium Bochri : viri autem Juda adhæserunt regi suo a Jordane usque Jerusalem.
- Cumque venisset rex in domum suam in Jerusalem, tulit decem mulieres concubinas, quas dereliquerat ad custodiendam domum, et tradidit eas in custodiam, alimenta eis præbens : et non est ingressus ad eas, sed erant clausæ usque in diem mortis suæ in viduitate viventes.
- Dixit autem rex Amasæ : Convoca mihi omnes viros Juda in diem tertium, et tu adesto præsens.
- Abiit ergo Amasa, ut convocaret Judam, et moratus est extra placitum quod ei constituerat rex.
- Ait autem David ad Abisai : Nunc magis afflicturus est nos Seba filius Bochri quam Absalom : tolle igitur servos domini tui, et persequere eum, ne forte inveniat civitates munitas, et effugiat nos.
- Egressi sunt ergo cum eo viri Joab, Cerethi quoque et Phelethi : et omnes robusti exierunt de Jerusalem ad persequendum Seba filium Bochri.
- Cumque illi essent juxta lapidem grandem, qui est in Gabaon, Amasa veniens occurrit eis. Porro Joab vestitus erat tunica stricta ad mensuram habitus sui, et desuper accinctus gladio dependente usque ad ilia, in vagina, qui fabricatus levi motu egredi poterat, et percutere.
- Dixit itaque Joab ad Amasam : Salve mi frater. Et tenuit manu dextera mentum Amasæ, quasi osculans eum.
- Porro Amasa non observavit gladium, quem habebat Joab, qui percussit eum in latere, et effudit intestina ejus in terram, nec secundum vulnus apposuit, et mortuus est. Joab autem, et Abisai frater ejus, persecuti sunt Seba filium Bochri.
- Interea quidam viri, cum stetissent juxta cadaver Amasæ, de sociis Joab, dixerunt : Ecce qui esse voluit pro Joab comes David.
- Amasa autem conspersus sanguine, jacebat in media via. Vidit hoc quidam vir quod subsisteret omnis populus ad videndum eum, et amovit Amasam de via in agrum, operuitque eum vestimento, ne subsisterent transeuntes propter eum.
- Amoto ergo illo de via, transibat omnis vir sequens Joab ad persequendum Seba filium Bochri.
- Porro ille transierat per omnes tribus Israël in Abelam, et Bethmaacha : omnesque viri electi congregati fuerant ad eum.
- Venerunt itaque et oppugnabant eum in Abela, et in Bethmaacha, et circumdederunt munitionibus civitatem, et obsessa est urbs : omnis autem turba, quæ erat cum Joab, moliebatur destruere muros.
- Et exclamavit mulier sapiens de civitate : Audite, audite : dicite Joab : Appropinqua huc, et loquar tecum.
- Qui cum accessisset ad eam, ait illi : Tu es Joab ? Et ille respondit : Ego. Ad quem sic locuta est : Audi sermones ancillæ tuæ. Qui respondit : Audio.
- Rursumque illa : Sermo, inquit, dicebatur in veteri proverbio : Qui interrogant, interrogent in Abela : et sic perficiebant.
- Nonne ego sum quæ respondeo veritatem in Israël, et tu quæris subvertere civitatem et evertere matrem in Israël ? Quare præcipitas hæreditatem Domini ?
- Respondensque Joab, ait : Absit, absit hoc a me : non præcipito, neque demolior.
- Non sic se habet res, sed homo de monte Ephraim Seba, filius Bochri cognomine, levavit manum suam contra regem David : tradite illum solum, et recedemus a civitate. Et ait mulier ad Joab : Ecce caput ejus mittetur ad te per murum.
- Ingressa est ergo ad omnem populum, et locuta est eis sapienter : qui abscissum caput Seba filii Bochri projecerunt ad Joab. Et ille cecinit tuba, et recesserunt ab urbe, unusquisque in tabernacula sua : Joab autem reversus est Jerusalem ad regem.
- Fuit ergo Joab super omnem exercitum Israël : Banaias autem filius Jojadæ super Cerethæos et Phelethæos.
- Aduram vero super tributa : porro Josaphat filius Ahilud, a commentariis.
- Siva autem, scriba : Sadoc vero et Abiathar, sacerdotes.
- Ira autem Jairites erat sacerdos David.
|2 Samuel 20 Text (KJV)
- And there happened to be there a man of Belial, whose name was Sheba, the son of Bichri, a Benjamite: and he blew a trumpet, and said, We have no part in David, neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse: every man to his tents, O Israel.
- So every man of Israel went up from after David, and followed Sheba the son of Bichri: but the men of Judah clave unto their king, from Jordan even to Jerusalem.
- And David came to his house at Jerusalem; and the king took the ten women his concubines, whom he had left to keep the house, and put them in ward, and fed them, but went not in unto them. So they were shut up unto the day of their death, living in widowhood.
- Then said the king to Amasa, Assemble me the men of Judah within three days, and be thou here present.
- So Amasa went to assemble the men of Judah: but he tarried longer than the set time which he had appointed him.
- And David said to Abishai, Now shall Sheba the son of Bichri do us more harm than did Absalom: take thou thy lord's servants, and pursue after him, lest he get him fenced cities, and escape us.
- And there went out after him Joab's men, and the Cherethites, and the Pelethites, and all the mighty men: and they went out of Jerusalem, to pursue after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- When they were at the great stone which is in Gibeon, Amasa went before them. And Joab's garment that he had put on was girded unto him, and upon it a girdle with a sword fastened upon his loins in the sheath thereof; and as he went forth it fell out.
- And Joab said to Amasa, Art thou in health, my brother? And Joab took Amasa by the beard with the right hand to kiss him.
- But Amasa took no heed to the sword that was in Joab's hand: so he smote him therewith in the fifth rib, and shed out his bowels to the ground, and struck him not again; and he died. So Joab and Abishai his brother pursued after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- And one of Joab's men stood by him, and said, He that favoureth Joab, and he that is for David, let him go after Joab.
- And Amasa wallowed in blood in the midst of the highway. And when the man saw that all the people stood still, he removed Amasa out of the highway into the field, and cast a cloth upon him, when he saw that every one that came by him stood still.
- When he was removed out of the highway, all the people went on after Joab, to pursue after Sheba the son of Bichri.
- And he went through all the tribes of Israel unto Abel, and to Beth-maachah, and all the Berites: and they were gathered together, and went also after him.
- And they came and besieged him in Abel of Beth-maachah, and they cast up a bank against the city, and it stood in the trench: and all the people that were with Joab battered the wall, to throw it down.
- Then cried a wise woman out of the city, Hear, hear; say, I pray you, unto Joab, Come near hither, that I may speak with thee.
- And when he was come near unto her, the woman said, Art thou Joab? And he answered, I am he. Then she said unto him, Hear the words of thine handmaid. And he answered, I do hear.
- Then she spake, saying, They were wont to speak in old time, saying, They shall surely ask counsel at Abel: and so they ended the matter.
- I am one of them that are peaceable and faithful in Israel: thou seekest to destroy a city and a mother in Israel: why wilt thou swallow up the inheritance of the LORD?
- And Joab answered and said, Far be it, far be it from me, that I should swallow up or destroy.
- The matter is not so: but a man of mount Ephraim, Sheba the son of Bichri by name, hath lifted up his hand against the king, even against David: deliver him only, and I will depart from the city. And the woman said unto Joab, Behold, his head shall be thrown to thee over the wall.
- Then the woman went unto all the people in her wisdom. And they cut off the head of Sheba the son of Bichri, and cast it out to Joab. And he blew a trumpet, and they retired from the city, every man to his tent. And Joab returned to Jerusalem unto the king.
- Now Joab was over all the host of Israel: and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada was over the Cherethites and over the Pelethites:
- And Adoram was over the tribute: and Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud was recorder:
- And Sheva was scribe: and Zadok and Abiathar were the priests:
- And Ira also the Jairite was a chief ruler about David.