|Malachi 2 - Versions
|Malachi 2 Text (WEB)
- "Now, you priests, this commandment is for you.
- If you will not listen, and if you will not lay it to heart, to give glory to my name," says Yahweh of Armies, "then will I send the curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Indeed, I have cursed them already, because you do not lay it to heart.
- Behold, I will rebuke your seed, and will spread dung on your faces, even the dung of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it.
- You will know that I have sent this commandment to you, that my covenant may be with Levi," says Yahweh of Armies.
- "My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him that he might be reverent toward me; and he was reverent toward me, and stood in awe of my name.
- The law of truth was in his mouth, and unrighteousness was not found in his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and turned many away from iniquity.
- For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth; for he is the messenger of Yahweh of Armies.
- But you have turned aside out of the way. You have caused many to stumble in the law. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi," says Yahweh of Armies.
- "Therefore I have also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according to the way you have not kept my ways, but have had respect for persons in the law.
- Don't we all have one father? Hasn't one God created us? Why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, profaning the covenant of our fathers?
- Judah has dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah has profaned the holiness of Yahweh which he loves, and has married the daughter of a foreign god.
- Yahweh will cut off, to the man who does this, him who wakes and him who answers, out of the tents of Jacob, and him who offers an offering to Yahweh of Armies.
- This again you do: you cover the altar of Yahweh with tears, with weeping, and with sighing, because he doesn't regard the offering any more, neither receives it with good will at your hand.
- Yet you say, 'Why?' Because Yahweh has been witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously, though she is your companion, and the wife of your covenant.
- Did he not make you one, although he had the residue of the Spirit? Why one? He sought a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
- For I hate divorce," says Yahweh, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with violence!" says Yahweh of Armies. "Therefore take heed to your spirit, that you don't deal treacherously.
- You have wearied Yahweh with your words. Yet you say, 'How have we wearied him?' In that you say, 'Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of Yahweh, and he delights in them;' or 'Where is the God of justice?'
|Malachi 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ועתה אליכם המצוה הזאת הכהנים׃
- אם־לא תשמעו ואם־לא תשימו על־לב לתת כבוד לשמי אמר יהוה צבאות ושלחתי בכם את־המארה וארותי את־ברכותיכם וגם ארותיה כי אינכם שמים על־לב׃
- הנני גער לכם את־הזרע וזריתי פרש על־פניכם פרש חגיכם ונשא אתכם אליו׃
- וידעתם כי שלחתי אליכם את המצוה הזאת להיות בריתי את־לוי אמר יהוה צבאות׃
- בריתי היתה אתו החיים והשלום ואתנם־לו מורא וייראני ומפני שמי נחת הוא׃
- תורת אמת היתה בפיהו ועולה לא־נמצא בשפתיו בשלום ובמישור הלך אתי ורבים השיב מעון׃
- כי־שפתי כהן ישמרו־דעת ותורה יבקשו מפיהו כי מלאך יהוה־צבאות הוא׃
- ואתם סרתם מן־הדרך הכשלתם רבים בתורה שחתם ברית הלוי אמר יהוה צבאות׃
- וגם־אני נתתי אתכם נבזים ושפלים לכל־העם כפי אשר אינכם שמרים את־דרכי ונשאים פנים בתורה׃ ף
- הלוא אב אחד לכלנו הלוא אל אחד בראנו מדוע נבגד איש באחיו לחלל ברית אבתינו׃
- בגדה יהודה ותועבה נעשתה בישראל ובירושלם כי חלל יהודה קדש יהוה אשר אהב ובעל בת־אל נכר׃
- יכרת יהוה לאיש אשר יעשנה ער וענה מאהלי יעקב ומגיש מנחה ליהוה צבאות׃ ף
- וזאת שנית תעשו כסות דמעה את־מזבח יהוה בכי ואנקה מאין עוד פנות אל־המנחה ולקחת רצון מידכם׃
- ואמרתם על־מה על כי־יהוה העיד בינך ובין אשת נעוריך אשר אתה בגדתה בה והיא חברתך ואשת בריתך׃
- ולא־אחד עשה ושאר רוח לו ומה האחד מבקש זרע אלהים ונשמרתם ברוחכם ובאשת נעוריך אל־יבגד׃
- כי־שנא שלח אמר יהוה אלהי ישראל וכסה חמס על־לבושו אמר יהוה צבאות ונשמרתם ברוחכם ולא תבגדו׃ ס
- הוגעתם יהוה בדבריכם ואמרתם במה הוגענו באמרכם כל־עשה רע טוב בעיני יהוה ובהם הוא חפץ או איה אלהי המשפט׃
|Malachi 2 Text (Latin)
- Et nunc ad vos mandatum hoc, o sacerdotes.
- Si nolueritis audire, et si nolueritis ponere super cor, ut detis gloriam nomini meo, ait Dominus exercituum, mittam in vos egestatem, et maledicam benedictionibus vestris, et maledicam illis, quoniam non posuistis super cor.
- Ecce ego projiciam vobis brachium, et dispergam super vultum vestrum stercus solemnitatum vestrarum, et assumet vos secum.
- Et scietis quia misi ad vos mandatum istud, ut esset pactum meum cum Levi, dicit Dominus exercituum.
- Pactum meum fuit cum eo vitæ et pacis : et dedi ei timorem, et timuit me, et a facie nominis mei pavebat.
- Lex veritatis fuit in ore ejus, et iniquitas non est inventa in labiis ejus : in pace et in æquitate ambulavit mecum, et multos avertit ab iniquitate.
- Labia enim sacerdotis custodient scientiam, et legem requirent ex ore ejus, quia angelus Domini exercituum est.
- Vos autem recessistis de via, et scandalizastis plurimos in lege : irritum fecistis pactum Levi, dicit Dominus exercituum.
- Propter quod et ego dedi vos contemptibiles, et humiles omnibus populis, sicut non servastis vias meas, et accepistis faciem in lege.
- Numquid non pater unus omnium nostrum ? numquid non Deus unus creavit nos ? quare ergo despicit unusquisque nostrum fratrem suum, violans pactum patrum nostrorum ?
- Transgressus est Juda, et abominatio facta est in Israël et in Jerusalem, quia contaminavit Juda sanctificationem Domini, quam dilexit, et habuit filiam dei alieni.
- Disperdet Dominus virum qui fecerit hoc, magistrum et discipulum, de tabernaculis Jacob, et offerentem munus Domino exercituum.
- Et hoc rursum fecistis : operiebatis lacrimis altare Domini, fletu et mugitu, ita ut non respiciam ultra ad sacrificium, nec accipiam placabile quid de manu vestra.
- Et dixistis : Quam ob causam ? Quia Dominus testificatus est inter te et uxorem pubertatis tuæ, quam tu despexisti : et hæc particeps tua, et uxor fœderis tui.
- Nonne unus fecit, et residuum spiritus ejus est ? et quid unus quærit, nisi semen Dei ? custodite ergo spiritum vestrum, et uxorem adolescentiæ tuæ noli despicere.
- Cum odio habueris, dimitte, dicit Dominus Deus Israël : operiet autem iniquitas vestimentum ejus, dicit Dominus exercituum. Custodite spiritum vestrum, et nolite despicere.
- Laborare fecistis Dominum in sermonibus vestris, et dixistis : In quo eum fecimus laborare ? In eo quod dicitis : Omnis qui facit malum bonus est in conspectu Domini, et tales ei placent : aut certe ubi est Deus judicii ?
|Malachi 2 Text (KJV)
- And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.
- If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.
- Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.
- And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.
- My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name.
- The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.
- For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
- But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.
- Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law.
- Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?
- Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the LORD which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.
- The LORD will cut off the man that doeth this, the master and the scholar, out of the tabernacles of Jacob, and him that offereth an offering unto the LORD of hosts.
- And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand.
- Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
- And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
- For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
- Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment?