|1 Samuel 13 - Versions
|1 Samuel 13 Text (WEB)
- Saul was [forty] years old when he began to reign; and when he had reigned two years over Israel,
- Saul chose him three thousand men of Israel, of which two thousand were with Saul in Michmash and in the Mount of Bethel, and one thousand were with Jonathan in Gibeah of Benjamin: and the rest of the people he sent every man to his tent.
- Jonathan struck the garrison of the Philistines that was in Geba: and the Philistines heard of it. Saul blew the trumpet throughout all the land, saying, "Let the Hebrews hear!"
- All Israel heard that Saul had struck the garrison of the Philistines, and also that Israel was had in abomination with the Philistines. The people were gathered together after Saul to Gilgal.
- The Philistines assembled themselves together to fight with Israel, thirty thousand chariots, and six thousand horsemen, and people as the sand which is on the seashore in multitude: and they came up, and encamped in Michmash, eastward of Beth Aven.
- When the men of Israel saw that they were in a strait (for the people were distressed), then the people did hide themselves in caves, and in thickets, and in rocks, and in coverts, and in pits.
- Now some of the Hebrews had gone over the Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead; but as for Saul, he was yet in Gilgal, and all the people followed him trembling.
- He stayed seven days, according to the set time that Samuel [had appointed]: but Samuel didn't come to Gilgal; and the people were scattered from him.
- Saul said, "Bring here the burnt offering to me, and the peace offerings." He offered the burnt offering.
- It came to pass that as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came; and Saul went out to meet him, that he might greet him.
- Samuel said, "What have you done?" Saul said, "Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that you didn't come within the days appointed, and that the Philistines assembled themselves together at Michmash;
- therefore I said, 'Now the Philistines will come down on me to Gilgal, and I haven't entreated the favor of Yahweh.' I forced myself therefore, and offered the burnt offering."
- Samuel said to Saul, "You have done foolishly. You have not kept the commandment of Yahweh your God, which he commanded you; for now Yahweh would have established your kingdom on Israel forever.
- But now your kingdom shall not continue. Yahweh has sought for himself a man after his own heart, and Yahweh has appointed him to be prince over his people, because you have not kept that which Yahweh commanded you."
- Samuel arose, and went from Gilgal to Gibeah of Benjamin. Saul numbered the people who were present with him, about six hundred men.
- Saul, and Jonathan his son, and the people who were present with them, stayed in Geba of Benjamin: but the Philistines encamped in Michmash.
- The spoilers came out of the camp of the Philistines in three companies: one company turned to the way that leads to Ophrah, to the land of Shual;
- and another company turned the way to Beth Horon; and another company turned the way of the border that looks down on the valley of Zeboim toward the wilderness.
- Now there was no smith found throughout all the land of Israel; for the Philistines said, "Lest the Hebrews make them swords or spears;"
- but all the Israelites went down to the Philistines, to sharpen every man his plowshare, mattock, axe, and sickle;
- yet they had a file for the mattocks, and for the plowshares, and for the forks, and for the axes, and to set the goads.
- So it came to pass in the day of battle, that there was neither sword nor spear found in the hand of any of the people who were with Saul and Jonathan: but with Saul and with Jonathan his son was there found.
- The garrison of the Philistines went out to the pass of Michmash.
|1 Samuel 13 Text (Hebrew)
- בן־שנה שאול במלכו ושתי שנים מלך על־ישראל׃
- ויבחר־לו שאול שלשת אלפים מישראל ויהיו עם־שאול אלפים במכמש ובהר בית־אל ואלף היו עם־יונתן בגבעת בנימין ויתר העם שלח איש לאהליו׃
- ויך יונתן את נציב פלשתים אשר בגבע וישמעו פלשתים ושאול תקע בשופר בכל־הארץ לאמר ישמעו העברים׃
- וכל־ישראל שמעו לאמר הכה שאול את־נציב פלשתים וגם־נבאש ישראל בפלשתים ויצעקו העם אחרי שאול הגלגל׃
- ופלשתים נאספו להלחם עם־ישראל שלשים אלף רכב וששת אלפים פרשים ועם כחול אשר על־שפת־הים לרב ויעלו ויחנו במכמש קדמת בית און׃
- ואיש ישראל ראו כי צר־לו כי נגש העם ויתחבאו העם במערות ובחוחים ובסלעים ובצרחים ובברות׃
- ועברים עברו את־הירדן ארץ גד וגלעד ושאול עודנו בגלגל וכל־העם חרדו אחריו׃
- שבעת ימים למועד אשר שמואל ולא־בא שמואל הגלגל ויפץ העם מעליו׃
- ויאמר שאול הגשו אלי העלה והשלמים ויעל העלה׃
- ויהי ככלתו להעלות העלה והנה שמואל בא ויצא שאול לקראתו לברכו׃
- ויאמר שמואל מה עשית ויאמר שאול כי־ראיתי כי־נפץ העם מעלי ואתה לא־באת למועד הימים ופלשתים נאספים מכמש׃
- ואמר עתה ירדו פלשתים אלי הגלגל ופני יהוה לא חליתי ואתאפק ואעלה העלה׃ ס
- ויאמר שמואל אל־שאול נסכלת לא שמרת את־מצות יהוה אלהיך אשר צוך כי עתה הכין יהוה את־ממלכתך אל־ישראל עד־עולם׃
- ועתה ממלכתך לא־תקום בקש יהוה לו איש כלבבו ויצוהו יהוה לנגיד על־עמו כי לא שמרת את אשר־צוך יהוה׃ ף
- ויקם שמואל ויעל מן־הגלגל גבעת בנימן ויפקד שאול את־העם הנמצאים עמו כשש מאות איש׃
- ושאול ויונתן בנו והעם הנמצא עםם ישבים בגבע בנימן ופלשתים חנו במכמש׃
- ויצא המשחית ממחנה פלשתים שלשה ראשים הראש אחד יפנה אל־דרך עפרה אל־ארץ שועל׃
- והראש אחד יפנה דרך בית חרון והראש אחד יפנה דרך הגבול הנשקף על־גי הצבעים המדברה׃ ס
- וחרש לא ימצא בכל ארץ ישראל כי־ פלשתים פן יעשו העברים חרב או חנית׃
- וירדו כל־ישראל הפלשתים ללטוש איש את־מחרשתו ואת־אתו ואת־קרדמו ואת מחרשתו׃
- והיתה הפצירה פים למחרשת ולאתים ולשלש קלשון ולהקרדמים ולהציב הדרבן׃
- והיה ביום מלחמת ולא נמצא חרב וחנית ביד כל־העם אשר את־שאול ואת־יונתן ותמצא לשאול וליונתן בנו׃
- ויצא מצב פלשתים אל־מעבר מכמש׃ ס
|1 Samuel 13 Text (Latin)
- Filius unius anni erat Saul cum regnare cœpisset, duobus autem annis regnavit super Israël.
- Et elegit sibi Saul tria millia de Israël : et erant cum Saul duo millia in Machmas, et in monte Bethel : mille autem cum Jonatha in Gabaa Benjamin : porro ceterum populum remisit unumquemque in tabernacula sua.
- Et percussit Jonathas stationem Philisthinorum, quæ erat in Gabaa. Quod cum audissent Philisthiim, Saul cecinit buccina in omni terra, dicens : Audiant Hebræi.
- Et universus Israël audivit hujuscemodi famam : Percussit Saul stationem Philisthinorum : et erexit se Israël adversus Philisthiim. Clamavit ergo populus post Saul in Galgala.
- Et Philisthiim congregati sunt ad præliandum contra Israël, triginta millia curruum, et sex millia equitum, et reliquum vulgus, sicut arena quæ est in littore maris plurima. Et ascendentes castrametati sunt in Machmas ad orientem Bethaven.
- Quod cum vidissent viri Israël se in arcto positos (afflictus enim erat populus), absconderunt se in speluncis, et in abditis, in petris quoque, et in antris, et in cisternis.
- Hebræi autem transierunt Jordanem in terram Gad et Galaad. Cumque adhuc esset Saul in Galgala, universus populus perterritus est, qui sequebatur eum.
- Et expectavit septem diebus juxta placitum Samuelis, et non venit Samuel in Galgala, dilapsusque est populus ab eo.
- Ait ergo Saul : Afferte mihi holocaustum, et pacifica. Et obtulit holocaustum.
- Cumque complesset offerens holocaustum, ecce Samuel veniebat : et egressus est Saul obviam ei ut salutaret eum.
- Locutusque est ad eum Samuel : Quid fecisti ? Respondit Saul : Quia vidi quod populus dilaberetur a me, et tu non veneras juxta placitos dies, porro Philisthiim congregati fuerant in Machmas,
- dixi : Nunc descendent Philisthiim ad me in Galgala, et faciem Domini non placavi. Necessitate compulsus, obtuli holocaustum.
- Dixitque Samuel ad Saul : Stulte egisti, nec custodisti mandata Domini Dei tui, quæ præcepit tibi. Quod si non fecisses, jam nunc præparasset Dominus regnum tuum super Israël in sempiternum,
- sed nequaquam regnum tuum ultra consurget. Quæsivit Dominus sibi virum juxta cor suum : et præcepit ei Dominus ut esset dux super populum suum, eo quod non servaveris quæ præcepit Dominus.
- Surrexit autem Samuel, et ascendit de Galgalis in Gabaa Benjamin. Et reliqui populi ascenderunt post Saul obviam populo, qui expugnabant eos venientes de Galgala in Gabaa, in colle Benjamin. Et recensuit Saul populum, qui inventi fuerant cum eo, quasi sexcentos viros.
- Et Saul et Jonathas filius ejus, populusque qui inventus fuerat cum eis, erat in Gabaa Benjamin : porro Philisthiim consederant in Machmas.
- Et egressi sunt ad prædandum de castris Philisthinorum tres cunei. Unus cuneus pergebat contra viam Ephra ad terram Sual :
- porro alius ingrediebatur per viam Beth-horon : tertius autem verterat se ad iter termini imminentis valli Seboim contra desertum.
- Porro faber ferrarius non inveniebatur in omni terra Israël. Caverant enim Philisthiim, ne forte facerent Hebræi gladium aut lanceam.
- Descendebat ergo omnis Israël ad Philisthiim, ut exacueret unusquisque vomerem suum, et ligonem, et securim, et sarculum.
- Retusæ itaque erant acies vomerum, et ligonum, et tridentum, et securium, usque ad stimulum corrigendum.
- Cumque venisset dies prælii, non est inventus ensis et lancea in manu totius populi, qui erat cum Saule et Jonatha, excepto Saul et Jonatha filio ejus.
- Egressa est autem statio Philisthiim, ut transcenderet in Machmas.
|1 Samuel 13 Text (KJV)
- Saul reigned one year; and when he had reigned two years over Israel,
- Saul chose him three thousand men of Israel; whereof two thousand were with Saul in Michmash and in mount Bethel, and a thousand were with Jonathan in Gibeah of Benjamin: and the rest of the people he sent every man to his tent.
- And Jonathan smote the garrison of the Philistines that was in Geba, and the Philistines heard of it. And Saul blew the trumpet throughout all the land, saying, Let the Hebrews hear.
- And all Israel heard say that Saul had smitten a garrison of the Philistines, and that Israel also was had in abomination with the Philistines. And the people were called together after Saul to Gilgal.
- And the Philistines gathered themselves together to fight with Israel, thirty thousand chariots, and six thousand horsemen, and people as the sand which is on the sea shore in multitude: and they came up, and pitched in Michmash, eastward from Beth-aven.
- When the men of Israel saw that they were in a strait, (for the people were distressed,) then the people did hide themselves in caves, and in thickets, and in rocks, and in high places, and in pits.
- And some of the Hebrews went over Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead. As for Saul, he was yet in Gilgal, and all the people followed him trembling.
- And he tarried seven days, according to the set time that Samuel had appointed: but Samuel came not to Gilgal; and the people were scattered from him.
- And Saul said, Bring hither a burnt offering to me, and peace offerings. And he offered the burnt offering.
- And it came to pass, that as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came; and Saul went out to meet him, that he might salute him.
- And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash;
- Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.
- And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
- But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.
- And Samuel arose, and gat him up from Gilgal unto Gibeah of Benjamin. And Saul numbered the people that were present with him, about six hundred men.
- And Saul, and Jonathan his son, and the people that were present with them, abode in Gibeah of Benjamin: but the Philistines encamped in Michmash.
- And the spoilers came out of the camp of the Philistines in three companies: one company turned unto the way that leadeth to Ophrah, unto the land of Shual:
- A nd anot her company turned the way to Beth-horon: and another company turned to the way of the border that looketh to the valley of Zeboim toward the wilderness.
- Now there was no smith found throughout all the land of Israel: for the Philistines said, Lest the Hebrews make them swords or spears:
- But all the Israelites went down to the Philistines, to sharpen every man his share, and his coulter, and his axe, and his mattock.
- Yet they had a file for the mattocks, and for the coulters, and for the forks, and for the axes, and to sharpen the goads.
- So it came to pass in the day of battle, that there was neither sword nor spear found in the hand of any of the people that were with Saul and Jonathan: but with Saul and with Jonathan his son was there found.
- And the garrison of the Philistines went out to the passage of Michmash.