|Deuteronomy 2 - Versions
|Deuteronomy 2 Text (WEB)
- Then we turned, and took our journey into the wilderness by the way to the Red Sea, as Yahweh spoke to me; and we encircled Mount Seir many days.
- Yahweh spoke to me, saying,
- "You have encircled this mountain long enough. Turn northward.
- Command the people, saying, 'You are to pass through the border of your brothers the children of Esau, who dwell in Seir; and they will be afraid of you: take good heed to yourselves therefore;
- don't contend with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as for the sole of the foot to tread on; because I have given Mount Seir to Esau for a possession.
- You shall purchase food of them for money, that you may eat; and you shall also buy water of them for money, that you may drink.'"
- For Yahweh your God has blessed you in all the work of your hand; he has known your walking through this great wilderness: these forty years Yahweh your God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.
- So we passed by from our brothers the children of Esau, who dwell in Seir, from the way of the Arabah from Elath and from Ezion Geber. We turned and passed by the way of the wilderness of Moab.
- Yahweh said to me, "Don't bother Moab, neither contend with them in battle; for I will not give you of his land for a possession; because I have given Ar to the children of Lot for a possession."
- (The Emim lived therein before, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakim:
- these also are accounted Rephaim, as the Anakim; but the Moabites call them Emim.
- The Horites also lived in Seir before, but the children of Esau succeeded them; and they destroyed them from before them, and lived in their place; as Israel did to the land of his possession, which Yahweh gave to them.)
- "Now rise up, and cross over the brook Zered." We went over the brook Zered.
- The days in which we came from Kadesh Barnea, until we were come over the brook Zered, were thirty-eight years; until all the generation of the men of war were consumed from the midst of the camp, as Yahweh swore to them.
- Moreover the hand of Yahweh was against them, to destroy them from the midst of the camp, until they were consumed.
- So it happened, when all the men of war were consumed and dead from among the people,
- that Yahweh spoke to me, saying,
- "You are this day to pass over Ar, the border of Moab:
- and when you come near over against the children of Ammon, don't bother them, nor contend with them; for I will not give you of the land of the children of Ammon for a possession; because I have given it to the children of Lot for a possession."
- (That also is accounted a land of Rephaim: Rephaim lived therein before; but the Ammonites call them Zamzummim,
- a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakim; but Yahweh destroyed them before them; and they succeeded them, and lived in their place;
- as he did for the children of Esau, who dwell in Seir, when he destroyed the Horites from before them; and they succeeded them, and lived in their place even to this day:
- and the Avvim, who lived in villages as far as Gaza, the Caphtorim, who came forth out of Caphtor, destroyed them, and lived in their place.)
- "Rise up, take your journey, and pass over the valley of the Arnon: behold, I have given into your hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land; begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle.
- This day will I begin to put the dread of you and the fear of you on the peoples who are under the whole sky, who shall hear the report of you, and shall tremble, and be in anguish because of you."
- I sent messengers out of the wilderness of Kedemoth to Sihon king of Heshbon with words of peace, saying,
- "Let me pass through your land: I will go along by the highway, I will turn neither to the right hand nor to the left.
- You shall sell me food for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only let me pass through on my feet,
- as the children of Esau who dwell in Seir, and the Moabites who dwell in Ar, did to me; until I shall pass over the Jordan into the land which Yahweh our God gives us."
- But Sihon king of Heshbon would not let us pass by him; for Yahweh your God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate, that he might deliver him into your hand, as at this day.
- Yahweh said to me, "Behold, I have begun to deliver up Sihon and his land before you: begin to possess, that you may inherit his land."
- Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to battle at Jahaz.
- Yahweh our God delivered him up before us; and we struck him, and his sons, and all his people.
- We took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed every inhabited city, with the women and the little ones; we left none remaining:
- only the livestock we took for a prey to ourselves, with the spoil of the cities which we had taken.
- From Aroer, which is on the edge of the valley of the Arnon, and [from] the city that is in the valley, even to Gilead, there was not a city too high for us; Yahweh our God delivered up all before us:
- only to the land of the children of Ammon you didn't come near; all the side of the river Jabbok, and the cities of the hill country, and wherever Yahweh our God forbade us.
|Deuteronomy 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ונפן ונסע המדברה דרך ים־סוף כאשר דבר יהוה אלי ונסב את־הר־שעיר ימים רבים׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אלי לאמר׃
- רב־לכם סב את־ההר הזה פנו לכם צפנה׃
- ואת־העם צו לאמר אתם עברים בגבול אחיכם בני־עשו הישבים בשעיר וייראו םכם ונשמרתם מאד׃
- אל־תתגרו בם כי לא־אתן לכם מארצם עד מדרך כף־רגל כי־ירשה לעשו נתתי את־הר שעיר׃
- אכל תשברו מאתם בכסף ואכלתם וגם־מים תכרו מאתם בכסף ושתיתם׃
- כי יהוה אלהיך ברךך בכל מעשה ידך ידע לכתך את־המדבר הגדל הזה זה ארבעים שנה יהוה אלהיך עמך לא חסרת דבר׃
- ונעבר מאת אחינו בני־עשו הישבים בשעיר מדרך הערבה מאילת ומעצין גבר ס ונפן ונעבר דרך מדבר מואב׃
- ויאמר יהוה אלי אל־תצר את־מואב ואל־תתגר בם מלחמה כי לא־אתן לך מארצו ירשה כי לבני־לוט נתתי את־ער ירשה׃
- האמים לפנים ישבו בה עם גדול ורב ורם כענקים׃
- רפאים יחשבו אף־הם כענקים והמאבים יקראו להם אמים׃
- ובשעיר ישבו החרים לפנים ובני עשו יירשום וישמידום מפניהם וישבו תחתם כאשר עשה ישראל לארץ ירשתו אשר־נתן יהוה להם׃
- עתה קמו ועברו לכם את־נחל זרד ונעבר את־נחל זרד׃
- והימים אשר־הלכנו מקדש ברנע עד אשר־עברנו את־נחל זרד שלשים ושמנה שנה עד־תם כל־הדור אנשי המלחמה מקרב המחנה כאשר נשבע יהוה להם׃
- וגם יד־יהוה היתה בם להםם מקרב המחנה עד תםם׃
- ויהי כאשר־תמו כל־אנשי המלחמה למות מקרב העם׃ ס
- וידבר יהוה אלי לאמר׃
- אתה עבר היום את־גבול מואב את־ער׃
- וקרבת מול בני עמון אל־תצרם ואל־תתגר בם כי לא־אתן מארץ בני־עמון לך ירשה כי לבני־לוט נתתיה ירשה׃
- ארץ־רפאים תחשב אף־הוא רפאים ישבו־בה לפנים והעמנים יקראו להם זמזמים׃
- עם גדול ורב ורם כענקים וישמידם יהוה מפניהם ויירשם וישבו תחתם׃
- כאשר עשה לבני עשו הישבים בשעיר אשר השמיד את־החרי מפניהם ויירשם וישבו תחתם עד היום הזה׃
- והעוים הישבים בחצרים עד־עזה כפתרים היצאים מכפתור השמידם וישבו תחתם׃
- קומו סעו ועברו את־נחל ארןן ראה נתתי בידך את־סיחן מלך־חשבון האמרי ואת־ארצו החל רש והתגר בו מלחמה׃
- היום הזה אחל תת פחדך ויראתך על־פני העמים תחת כל־השמים אשר ישמעון שמעך ורגזו וחלו מפניך׃
- ואשלח מלאכים ממדבר קדמות אל־סיחון מלך חשבון דברי שלום לאמר׃
- אעברה בארצך בדרך בדרך אלך לא אסור ימין ושמאול׃
- אכל בכסף תשברני ואכלתי ומים בכסף תתן־לי ושתיתי רק אעברה ברגלי׃
- כאשר עשו־לי בני עשו הישבים בשעיר והמואבים הישבים בער עד אשר־אעבר את־הירדן אל־הארץ אשר־יהוה אלהינו נתן לנו׃
- ולא אבה סיחן מלך חשבון העברנו בו כי־הקשה יהוה אלהיך את־רוחו ואמץ את־לבבו למען תתו בידך כיום הזה׃ ס
- ויאמר יהוה אלי ראה החלתי תת לפניך את־סיחן ואת־ארצו החל רש לרשת את־ארצו׃
- ויצא סיחן לקראתנו הוא וכל־עמו למלחמה יהצה׃
- ויתנהו יהוה אלהינו לפנינו ונך אתו ואת־ ואת־כל־עמו׃
- ונלכד את־כל־עריו בעת ההוא ונחרם את־כל־עיר מתם והנשים והטף לא השארנו שריד׃
- רק הבהמה בזזנו לנו ושלל הערים אשר לכדנו׃
- מערער אשר על־שפת־נחל ארןן והעיר אשר בנחל ועד־הגלעד לא היתה קריה אשר שגבה ממנו את־הכל נתן יהוה אלהינו לפנינו׃
- רק אל־ארץ בני־עמון לא קרבת כל־יד נחל יבק וערי ההר וכל אשר־צוה יהוה אלהינו׃
|Deuteronomy 2 Text (Latin)
- Profectique inde, venimus in solitudinem, quæ ducit ad mare Rubrum, sicut mihi dixerat Dominus : et circuivimus montem Seir longo tempore.
- Dixitque Dominus ad me :
- Sufficit vobis circuire montem istum : ite contra aquilonem :
- et populo præcipe, dicens : Transibitis per terminos fratrum vestrorum filiorum Esau, qui habitant in Seir, et timebunt vos.
- Videte ergo diligenter ne moveamini contra eos. Neque enim dabo vobis de terra eorum quantum potest unius pedis calcare vestigium, quia in possessionem Esau dedi montem Seir.
- Cibos emetis ab eis pecunia, et comedetis : aquam emptam haurietis, et bibetis.
- Dominus Deus tuus benedixit tibi in omni opere manuum tuarum : novit iter tuum, quomodo transieris solitudinem hanc magnam, per quadraginta annos habitans tecum Dominus Deus tuus, et nihil tibi defuit.
- Cumque transissemus fratres nostros filios Esau, qui habitabant in Seir, per viam campestrem de Elath, et de Asiongaber, venimus ad iter quod ducit in desertum Moab.
- Dixitque Dominus ad me : Non pugnes contra Moabitas, nec ineas adversus eos prælium : non enim dabo tibi quidquam de terra eorum, quia filiis Loth tradidi Ar in possessionem.
- Emim primi fuerunt habitatores ejus, populus magnus, et validus, et tam excelsus ut de Enacim stirpe,
- quasi gigantes crederentur, et essent similes filiorum Enacim. Denique Moabitæ appellant eos Emim.
- In Seir autem prius habitaverunt Horrhæi : quibus expulsis atque deletis, habitaverunt filii Esau, sicut fecit Israël in terra possessionis suæ, quam dedit illi Dominus.
- Surgentes ergo ut transiremus torrentem Zared, venimus ad eum.
- Tempus autem, quo ambulavimus de Cadesbarne usque ad transitum torrentis Zared, triginta et octo annorum fuit : donec consumeretur omnis generatio hominum bellatorum de castris, sicut juraverat Dominus :
- cujus manus fuit adversum eos, ut interirent de castrorum medio.
- Postquam autem universi ceciderunt pugnatores,
- locutus est Dominus ad me, dicens :
- Tu transibis hodie terminos Moab, urbem nomine Ar :
- et accedens in vicina filiorum Ammon, cave ne pugnes contra eos, nec movearis ad prælium : non enim dabo tibi de terra filiorum Ammon, quia filiis Loth dedi eam in possessionem.
- Terra gigantum reputata est : et in ipsa olim habitaverunt gigantes, quos Ammonitæ vocant Zomzommim,
- populus magnus, et multus, et proceræ longitudinis, sicut Enacim, quos delevit Dominus a facie eorum : et fecit illos habitare pro eis,
- sicut fecerat filiis Esau, qui habitant in Seir, delens Horrhæos, et terram eorum illis tradens, quam possident usque in præsens.
- Hevæos quoque, qui habitabant in Haserim usque Gazan, Cappadoces expulerunt : qui egressi de Cappadocia deleverunt eos, et habitaverunt pro illis.
- Surgite, et transite torrentem Arnon : ecce tradidi in manu tua Sehon regem Hesebon Amorrhæum, et terram ejus incipe possidere, et committe adversus eum prælium.
- Hodie incipiam mittere terrorem atque formidinem tuam in populos, qui habitant sub omni cælo : ut audito nomine tuo paveant, et in morem parturientium contremiscant, et dolore teneantur.
- Misi ergo nuntios de solitudine Cademoth ad Sehon regem Hesebon verbis pacificis, dicens :
- Transibimus per terram tuam : publica gradiemur via ; non declinabimus neque ad dexteram, neque ad sinistram.
- Alimenta pretio vende nobis, ut vescamur : aquam pecunia tribue, et sic bibemus. Tantum est ut nobis concedas transitum,
- sicut fecerunt filii Esau, qui habitant in Seir, et Moabitæ, qui morantur in Ar : donec veniamus ad Jordanem, et transeamus ad terram, quam Dominus Deus noster daturus est nobis.
- Noluitque Sehon rex Hesebon dare nobis transitum : quia induraverat Dominus Deus tuus spiritum ejus, et obfirmaverat cor illius, ut traderetur in manus tuas, sicut nunc vides.
- Dixitque Dominus ad me : Ecce cœpi tibi tradere Sehon, et terram ejus : incipe possidere eam.
- Egressusque est Sehon obviam nobis cum omni populo suo ad prælium in Jasa.
- Et tradidit eum Dominus Deus noster nobis : percussimusque eum cum filiis suis et omni populo suo.
- Cunctasque urbes in tempore illo cepimus, interfectis habitatoribus earum, viris ac mulieribus et parvulis : non reliquimus in eis quidquam,
- absque jumentis, quæ in partem venere prædantium : et spoliis urbium, quas cepimus
- ab Aroër, quæ est super ripam torrentis Arnon, oppido quod in valle situm est, usque Galaad. Non fuit vicus et civitas, quæ nostras effugeret manus : omnes tradidit Dominus Deus noster nobis,
- absque terra filiorum Ammon, ad quam non accessimus : et cunctis quæ adjacent torrenti Jeboc, et urbibus montanis, universisque locis, a quibus nos prohibuit Dominus Deus noster.
|Deuteronomy 2 Text (KJV)
- Then we turned, and took our journey into the wilderness by the way of the Red sea, as the LORD spake unto me: and we compassed mount Seir many days.
- And the LORD spake unto me, saying,
- Ye have compassed this mountain long enough: turn you northward.
- And command thou the people, saying, Ye are to pass through the coast of your brethren the children of Esau, which dwell in Seir; and they shall be afraid of you: take ye good heed unto yourselves therefore:
- Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given mount Seir unto Esau for a possession.
- Ye shall buy meat of them for money, that ye may eat; and ye shall also buy water of them for money, that ye may drink.
- For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked nothing.
- And when we passed by from our brethren the children of Esau, which dwelt in Seir, through the way of the plain from Elath, and from Ezion-gaber, we turned and passed by the way of the wilderness of Moab.
- And the LORD said unto me, Distress not the Moabites, neither contend with them in battle: for I will not give thee of their land for a possession; because I have given Ar unto the children of Lot for a possession.
- The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims;
- Which also were accounted giants, as the Anakims; but the Moabites call them Emims.
- The Horims also dwelt in Seir beforetime; but the children of Esau succeeded them, when they had destroyed them from before them, and dwelt in their stead; as Israel did unto the land of his possession, which the LORD gave unto them.
- Now rise up, said I, and get you over the brook Zered. And we went over the brook Zered.
- And the space in which we came from Kadesh-barnea, until we were come over the brook Zered, was thirty and eight years; until all the generation of the men of war were wasted out from among the host, as the LORD sware unto them.
- For indeed the hand of the LORD was against them, to destroy them from among the host, until they were consumed.
- So it came to pass, when all the men of war were consumed and dead from among the people,
- That the LORD spake unto me, saying,
- Thou art to pass over through Ar, the coast of Moab, this day:
- And when thou comest nigh over against the children of Ammon, distress them not, nor meddle with them: for I will not give thee of the land of the children of Ammon any possession; because I have given it unto the children of Lot for a possession.
- (That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims;
- A people great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; but the LORD destroyed them before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead:
- As he did to the children of Esau, which dwelt in Seir, when he destroyed the Horims from before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead even unto this day:
- And the Avims which dwelt in Hazerim, even unto Azzah, the Caphtorims, which came forth out of Caphtor, destroyed them, and dwelt in their stead.)
- Rise ye up, take your journey, and pass over the river Arnon: behold, I have given into thine hand Sihon the Amorite, king of Heshbon, and his land: begin to possess it, and contend with him in battle.
- This day will I begin to put the dread of thee and the fear of thee upon the nations that are under the whole heaven, who shall hear report of thee, and shall tremble, and be in anguish because of thee.
- And I sent messengers out of the wilderness of Kedemoth unto Sihon king of Heshbon with words of peace, saying,
- Let me pass through thy land: I will go along by the high way, I will neither turn unto the right hand nor to the left.
- Thou shalt sell me meat for money, that I may eat; and give me water for money, that I may drink: only I will pass through on my feet;
- (As the children of Esau which dwell in Seir, and the Moabites which dwell in Ar, did unto me;) until I shall pass over Jordan into the land which the LORD our God giveth us.
- But Sihon king of Heshbon would not let us pass by him: for the LORD thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate, that he might deliver him into thy hand, as appeareth this day.
- And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have begun to give Sihon and his land before thee: begin to possess, that thou mayest inherit his land.
- Then Sihon came out against us, he and all his people, to fight at Jahaz.
- And the LORD our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people.
- And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain:
- Only the cattle we took for a prey unto ourselves, and the spoil of the cities which we took.
- From Aroer, which is by the brink of the river of Arnon, and from the city that is by the river, even unto Gilead, there was not one city too strong for us: the LORD our God delivered all unto us:
- Only unto the land of the children of Ammon thou camest not, nor unto any place of the river Jabbok, nor unto the cities in the mountains, nor unto whatsoever the LORD our God forbad us.