|Genesis 35 - Versions
|Genesis 35 Text (WEB)
- God said to Jacob, "Arise, go up to Bethel, and live there. Make there an altar to God, who appeared to you when you fled from the face of Esau your brother."
- Then Jacob said to his household, and to all who were with him, "Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, change your garments.
- Let us arise, and go up to Bethel. I will make there an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went."
- They gave to Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and the rings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.
- They traveled, and a terror of God was on the cities that were around them, and they didn't pursue the sons of Jacob.
- So Jacob came to Luz (that is, Bethel), which is in the land of Canaan, he and all the people who were with him.
- He built an altar there, and called the place El Beth El; because there God was revealed to him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
- Deborah, Rebekah's nurse, died, and she was buried below Bethel under the oak; and its name was called Allon Bacuth.
- God appeared to Jacob again, when he came from Paddan Aram, and blessed him.
- God said to him, "Your name is Jacob. Your name shall not be Jacob any more, but your name will be Israel." He named him Israel.
- God said to him, "I am God Almighty. Be fruitful and multiply. A nation and a company of nations will be from you, and kings will come out of your body.
- The land which I gave to Abraham and Isaac, I will give it to you, and to your seed after you will I give the land."
- God went up from him in the place where he spoke with him.
- Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he spoke with him, a pillar of stone. He poured out a drink offering on it, and poured oil on it.
- Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him "Bethel."
- They traveled from Bethel. There was still some distance to come to Ephrath, and Rachel travailed. She had hard labor.
- When she was in hard labor, the midwife said to her, "Don't be afraid, for now you will have another son."
- It happened, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she named him Benoni, but his father named him Benjamin.
- Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath (the same is Bethlehem).
- Jacob set up a pillar on her grave. The same is the Pillar of Rachel's grave to this day.
- Israel traveled, and spread his tent beyond the tower of Eder.
- It happened, while Israel lived in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah, his father's concubine, and Israel heard of it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve.
- The sons of Leah: Reuben (Jacob's firstborn), Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun.
- The sons of Rachel: Joseph and Benjamin.
- The sons of Bilhah (Rachel's handmaid): Dan and Naphtali.
- The sons of Zilpah (Leah's handmaid): Gad and Asher. These are the sons of Jacob, who were born to him in Paddan Aram.
- Jacob came to Isaac his father, to Mamre, to Kiriath Arba (which is Hebron), where Abraham and Isaac lived as foreigners.
- The days of Isaac were one hundred eighty years.
- Isaac gave up the spirit, and died, and was gathered to his people, old and full of days. Esau and Jacob, his sons, buried him.
|Genesis 35 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמר אלהים אל־יעקב קום עלה בית־אל ושב־שם ועשה־שם מזבח לאל הנראה אליך בברחך מפני עשו אחיך׃
- ויאמר יעקב אל־ביתו ואל כל־אשר עמו הסרו את־אלהי הנכר אשר בתככם והטהרו והחליפו שמלתיכם׃
- ונקומה ונעלה בית־אל ואעשה־שם מזבח לאל הענה אתי ביום צרתי ויהי עמדי בדרך אשר הלכתי׃
- ויתנו אל־יעקב את כל־אלהי הנכר אשר בידם ואת־הנזמים אשר באזניהם ויטמן אתם יעקב תחת האלה אשר עם־שכם׃
- ויסעו ויהי חתת אלהים על־הערים אשר סביבתיהם ולא רדפו אחרי בני יעקב׃
- ויבא יעקב לוזה אשר בארץ כנען הוא בית־אל הוא וכל־העם אשר־עמו׃
- ויבן שם מזבח ויקרא למקום אל בית־אל כי שם נגלו אליו האלהים בברחו מפני אחיו׃
- ותמת דברה מינקת רבקה ותקבר מתחת לבית־אל תחת האלון ויקרא שמו אלון בכות׃ ף
- וירא אלהים אל־יעקב עוד בבאו מפדן ארם ויברך אתו׃
- ויאמר־לו אלהים שמך יעקב לא־יקרא שמכ עוד יעקב כי אם־ישראל יהיה שמך ויקרא את־שמו ישראל׃
- ויאמר לו אלהים אני אל שדי פרה ורבה גוי וקהל גוים יהיה ממך ומלכים מחלציך יצאו׃
- ואת־הארץ אשר נתתי לאברהם וליצחק לך אתננה ולזרעך אחריך אתן את־הארץ׃
- ויעל מעליו אלהים במקום אשר־דבר אתו׃
- ויצב יעקב מצבה במקום אשר־דבר אתו מצבת אבן ויסך עליה נסך ויצק עליה שמן׃
- ויקרא יעקב את־שם המקום אשר דבר אתו שם אלהים בית־אל׃
- ויסעו מבית אל ויהי־עוד כברת־הארץ לבוא אפרתה ותלד רחל ותקש בלדתה׃
- ויהי בהקשתה בלדתה ותאמר לה המילדת אל־תיראי כי־גם־זה לך בן׃
- ויהי בצאת נפשה כי מתה ותקרא שמו בן־אוני ואביו קרא־לו בנימין׃
- ותמת רחל ותקבר בדרך אפרתה הוא בית לחם׃
- ויצב יעקב מצבה על־קברתה הוא מצבת קברת־רחל עד־היום׃
- ויסע ישראל ויט אהלה מהלאה למגדל־עדר׃
- ויהי בשכן ישראל בארץ ההוא וילך ראובן וישכב את־בלהה פילגש אביו וישמע ישראל ף ויהיו בני־יעקב שנים עשר׃
- בני לאה בכור יעקב ראובן ושמעון ולוי ויהודה ויששכר וזבולן׃
- בני רחל יוסף ובנימן׃
- ובני בלהה שפחת רחל דן ונפתלי׃
- ובני זלפה שפחת לאה גד ואשר אלה בני יעקב אשר ילד־לו בפדן ארם׃
- ויבא יעקב אל־יצחק אביו ממרא קרית הארבע הוא חברונ אשר־גר־שם אברהם ויצחק׃
- ויהיו ימי יצחק מאת שנה ושמנים שנה׃
- ויגוע יצחק וימת ויאסף אל־עמיו זקן ושבע ימים ויקברו אתו עשו ויעקב בניו׃ ף
|Genesis 35 Text (Latin)
- Interea locutus est Deus ad Jacob : Surge, et ascende Bethel, et habita ibi, facque altare Deo qui apparuit tibi quando fugiebas Esau fratrem tuum.
- Jacob vero convocata omni domo sua, ait : Abjicite deos alienos qui in medio vestri sunt, et mundamini, ac mutate vestimenta vestra.
- Surgite, et ascendamus in Bethel, ut faciamus ibi altare Deo : qui exaudivit me in die tribulationis meæ, et socius fuit itineris mei.
- Dederunt ergo ei omnes deos alienos quos habebant, et inaures quæ erant in auribus eorum : at ille infodit ea subter terebinthum, quæ est post urbem Sichem.
- Cumque profecti essent, terror Dei invasit omnes per circuitum civitates, et non sunt ausi persequi recedentes.
- Venit igitur Jacob Luzam, quæ est in terra Chanaan, cognomento Bethel : ipse et omnis populus cum eo.
- Ædificavitque ibi altare, et appellavit nomen loci illius, Domus Dei : ibi enim apparuit ei Deus cum fugeret fratrem suum.
- Eodem tempore mortua est Debora nutrix Rebeccæ, et sepulta est ad radices Bethel subter quercum : vocatumque est nomen loci illius, Quercus fletus.
- Apparuit autem iterum Deus Jacob postquam reversus est de Mespotamia Syriæ, benedixitque ei
- dicens : Non vocaberis ultra Jacob, sed Israël erit nomen tuum. Et appellavit eum Israël,
- dixitque ei : Ego Deus omnipotens : cresce, et multiplicare : gentes et populi nationum ex te erunt, reges de lumbis tuis egredientur,
- terramque quam dedi Abraham et Isaac, dabo tibi et semini tuo post te.
- Et recessit ab eo.
- Ille vero erexit titulum lapideum in loco quo locutus fuerat ei Deus : libans super eum libamina, et effundens oleum :
- vocansque nomen loci illius Bethel.
- Egressus autem inde, venit verno tempore ad terram quæ ducit Ephratam : in qua cum parturiret Rachel,
- ob difficultatem partus periclitari cœpit. Dixitque ei obstetrix : Noli timere, quia et hunc habebis filium.
- Egrediente autem anima præ dolore, et imminente jam morte, vocavit nomen filii sui Benomi, id est, Filius doloris mei : pater vero appellavit eum Benjamin, id est, Filius dextræ.
- Mortua est ergo Rachel, et sepulta est in via quæ ducit Ephratam, hæc est Bethlehem.
- Erexitque Jacob titulum super sepulchrum ejus : hic est titulus monumenti Rachel, usque in præsentem diem.
- Egressus inde, fixit tabernaculum trans Turrem gregis.
- Cumque habitaret in illa regione, abiit Ruben, et dormivit cum Bala concubina patris sui : quod illum minime latuit. Erant autem filii Jacob duodecim.
- Filii Liæ : primogenitus Ruben, et Simeon, et Levi, et Judas, et Issachar, et Zabulon.
- Filii Rachel : Joseph et Benjamin.
- Filii Balæ ancillæ Rachelis : Dan et Nephthali.
- Filii Zelphæ ancillæ Liæ : Gad et Aser : hi sunt filii Jacob, qui nati sunt ei in Mesopotamia Syriæ.
- Venit etiam ad Isaac patrem suum in Mambre, civitatem Arbee, hæc est Hebron, in qua peregrinatus est Abraham et Isaac.
- Et completi sunt dies Isaac centum octoginta annorum.
- Consumptusque ætate mortuus est : et appositus est populo suo senex et plenus dierum : et sepelierunt eum Esau et Jacob filii sui.
|Genesis 35 Text (KJV)
- And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother.
- Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
- And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.
- And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.
- And they journeyed: and the terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them, and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.
- So Jacob came to Luz, which is in the land of Canaan, that is, Bethel, he and all the people that were with him.
- And he built there an altar, and called the place El-beth-el: because there God appeared unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.
- But Deborah Rebekah's nurse died, and she was buried beneath Bethel under an oak: and the name of it was called Allon-bachuth.
- And God appeared unto Jacob again, when he came out of Padan-aram, and blessed him.
- And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.
- And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;
- And the land which I gave Abraham and Isaac, to thee I will give it, and to thy seed after thee will I give the land.
- And God went up from him in the place where he talked with him.
- And Jacob set up a pillar in the place where he talked with him, even a pillar of stone: and he poured a drink offering thereon, and he poured oil thereon.
- And Jacob called the name of the place where God spake with him, Bethel.
- And they journeyed from Bethel; and there was but a little way to come to Ephrath: and Rachel travailed, and she had hard labour.
- And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also.
- And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Ben-oni: but his father called him Benjamin.
- And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem.
- And Jacob set a pillar upon her grave: that is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this day.
- And Israel journeyed, and spread his tent beyond the tower of Edar.
- And it came to pass, when Israel dwelt in that land, that Reuben went and lay with Bilhah his father's concubine: and Israel heard it. Now the sons of Jacob were twelve:
- The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun:
- The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and Benjamin:
- And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid; Dan, and Naphtali:
- And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid; Gad, and Asher: these are the sons of Jacob, which were born to him in Padan-aram.
- And Jacob came unto Isaac his father unto Mamre, unto the city of Arbah, which is Hebron, where Abraham and Isaac sojourned.
- And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.
- And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.