|Genesis 43 - Versions
|Genesis 43 Text (WEB)
- The famine was severe in the land.
- It happened, when they had eaten up the grain which they had brought out of Egypt, their father said to them, "Go again, buy us a little more food."
- Judah spoke to him, saying, "The man solemnly warned us, saying, 'You shall not see my face, unless your brother is with you.'
- If you'll send our brother with us, we'll go down and buy you food,
- but if you'll not send him, we'll not go down, for the man said to us, 'You shall not see my face, unless your brother is with you.'"
- Israel said, "Why did you treat me so badly, telling the man that you had another brother?"
- They said, "The man asked directly concerning ourselves, and concerning our relatives, saying, 'Is your father still alive? Have you another brother?' We just answered his questions. Is there any way we could know that he would say, 'Bring your brother down?'"
- Judah said to Israel, his father, "Send the boy with me, and we'll get up and go, so that we may live, and not die, both we, and you, and also our little ones.
- I'll be collateral for him. From my hand will you require him. If I don't bring him to you, and set him before you, then let me bear the blame forever,
- for if we hadn't delayed, surely we would have returned a second time by now."
- Their father, Israel, said to them, "If it must be so, then do this. Take from the choice fruits of the land in your bags, and carry down a present for the man, a little balm, a little honey, spices and myrrh, nuts, and almonds;
- and take double money in your hand, and take back the money that was returned in the mouth of your sacks. Perhaps it was an oversight.
- Take your brother also, get up, and return to the man.
- May God Almighty give you mercy before the man, that he may release to you your other brother and Benjamin. If I am bereaved of my children, I am bereaved."
- The men took that present, and they took double money in their hand, and Benjamin; and got up, went down to Egypt, and stood before Joseph.
- When Joseph saw Benjamin with them, he said to the steward of his house, "Bring the men into the house, and butcher an animal, and prepare; for the men will dine with me at noon."
- The man did as Joseph commanded, and the man brought the men to Joseph's house.
- The men were afraid, because they were brought to Joseph's house; and they said, "Because of the money that was returned in our sacks at the first time, we're brought in; that he may seek occasion against us, attack us, and seize us as slaves, along with our donkeys."
- They came near to the steward of Joseph's house, and they spoke to him at the door of the house,
- and said, "Oh, my lord, we indeed came down the first time to buy food.
- When we came to the lodging place, we opened our sacks, and behold, each man's money was in the mouth of his sack, our money in full weight. We have brought it back in our hand.
- We have brought down other money in our hand to buy food. We don't know who put our money in our sacks."
- He said, "Peace be to you. Don't be afraid. Your God, and the God of your father, has given you treasure in your sacks. I received your money." He brought Simeon out to them.
- The man brought the men into Joseph's house, and gave them water, and they washed their feet. He gave their donkeys fodder.
- They prepared the present for Joseph's coming at noon, for they heard that they should eat bread there.
- When Joseph came home, they brought him the present which was in their hand into the house, and bowed themselves down to him to the earth.
- He asked them of their welfare, and said, "Is your father well, the old man of whom you spoke? Is he yet alive?"
- They said, "Your servant, our father, is well. He is still alive." They bowed the head, and did homage.
- He lifted up his eyes, and saw Benjamin, his brother, his mother's son, and said, "Is this your youngest brother, of whom you spoke to me?" He said, "God be gracious to you, my son."
- Joseph hurried, for his heart yearned over his brother; and he sought a place to weep. He entered into his room, and wept there.
- He washed his face, and came out. He controlled himself, and said, "Serve the meal."
- They served him by himself, and them by themselves, and the Egyptians, that ate with him, by themselves, because the Egyptians don't eat bread with the Hebrews, for that is an abomination to the Egyptians.
- They sat before him, the firstborn according to his birthright, and the youngest according to his youth, and the men marveled one with another.
- He sent portions to them from before him, but Benjamin's portion was five times as much as any of theirs. They drank, and were merry with him.
|Genesis 43 Text (Hebrew)
- והרעב כבד בארץ׃
- ויהי כאשר כלו לאכל את־השבר אשר הביאו ממצרים ויאמר אליהם אביהם שבו שברו־לנו מעט־אכל׃
- ויאמר אליו יהודה לאמר העד העד בנו האיש לאמר לא־תראו פני בלתי אחיכם אתכם׃
- אם־ישך משלח את־אחינו אתנו נרדה ונשברה לך אכל׃
- ואם־אינך משלח לא נרד כי־האיש אמר אלינו לא־תראו פני בלתי אחיכם אתכם׃
- ויאמר ישראל למה הרעתם לי להגיד לאיש העוד לכם אח׃
- ויאמרו שאול שאל־האיש לנו ולמולדתנו לאמר העוד אביכם חי היש לכם אח ונגד־לו על־פי הדברים האלה הידוע נדע כי יאמר הורידו את־אחיכם׃
- ויאמר יהודה אל־ישראל אביו שלחה הנער אתי ונקומה ונלכה ונחיה ולא נמות גם־אנחנו גם־אתה גם־טפנו׃
- אנכי אערבנו מידי תבקשנו אם־לא הביאתיו אליך והצגתיו לפניך וחטאתי לך כל־הימים׃
- כי לולא התמהמהנו כי־עתה שבנו זה פעמים׃
- ויאמר אלהם ישראל אביהם אם־כן אפוא זאת עשו קחו מזמרת הארץ בכליכם והורידו לאיש מנחה מעט צרי ומעט דבש נכאת ולט בטנים ושקדים׃
- וכסף משנה קחו בידכם ואת־הכסף המושב בפי אמתחתיכם תשיבו בידכם אולי משגה הוא׃
- ואת־אחיכם קחו וקומו שובו אל־האיש׃
- ואל שדי יתן לכם רחמים לפני האיש ושלח לכם את־אחיכם אחר ואת־בנימין ואני כאשר שכלתי שכלתי׃
- ויקחו האנשים את־המנחה הזאת ומשנה־כסף לקחו בידם ואת־בנימן ויקמו וירדו מצרים ויעמדו לפני יוסף׃
- וירא יוסף אתם את־בנימין ויאמר לאשר על־ביתו הבא את־האנשים הביתה וטבח טבח והכן כי אתי יאכלו האנשים בצהרים׃
- ויעש האיש כאשר אמר יוסף ויבא האיש את־האנשים ביתה יוסף׃
- וייראו האנשים כי הובאו בית יוסף ויאמרו על־דבר הכסף השב באמתחתינו בתחלה אנחנו מובאים להתגלל עלינו ולהתנפל עלינו ולקחת אתנו לעבדים ואת־חמרינו׃
- ויגשו אל־האיש אשר על־בית יוסף וידברו אליו פתח הבית׃
- ויאמרו בי אדני ירד ירדנו בתחלה לשבר־אכל׃
- ויהי כי־באנו אל־המלון ונפתחה את־אמתחתינו והנה כסף־איש בפי אמתחתו כספנו במשקלו ונשב אתו בידנו׃
- וכסף אחר הורדנו בידנו לשבר־אכל לא ידענו מי־שם כספנו באמתחתינו׃
- ויאמר שלום לכם אל־תיראו אלהיכם ואלהי אביכם נתן לכם מטמון באמתחתיכם כספכם בא אלי ויוצא אלהם את־שמעון׃
- ויבא האיש את־האנשים ביתה יוסף ויתן־מים וירחצו רגליהם ויתן מספוא לחמריהם׃
- ויכינו את־המנחה עד־בוא יוסף בצהרים כי שמעו כי־שם יאכלו לחם׃
- ויבא יוסף הביתה ויביאו לו את־המנחה אשר־בידם הביתה וישתחוו־לו ארצה׃
- וישאל להם לשלום ויאמר השלום אביכם הזקן אשר אמרתם העודנו חי׃
- ויאמרו שלום לעבדך לאבינו עודנו חי ויקדו ׃
- וישא עיניו וירא את־בנימין אחיו בן־אמו ויאמר הזה אחיכם הקטן אשר אמרתם אלי ויאמר אלהים יחנך בני׃
- וימהר יוסף כי־נכמרו רחמיו אל־אחיו ויבקש לבכות ויבא החדרה ויבך שמה׃
- וירחץ פניו ויצא ויתאפק ויאמר שימו לחם׃
- וישימו לו לבדו ולהם לבדם ולמצרים האכלים אתו לבדם כי לא יוכלון המצרים לאכל את־העברים לחם כי־תועבה הוא למצרים׃
- וישבו לפניו הבכר כבכרתו והצעיר כצערתו ויתמהו האנשים איש אל־רעהו׃
- וישא משאת מאת פניו אלהם ותרב משאת בנימן ממשאת כלם חמש ידות וישתו וישכרו עמו׃
|Genesis 43 Text (Latin)
- Interim fames omnem terram vehementer premebat.
- Consumptisque cibis quos ex Ægypto detulerant, dixit Jacob ad filios suos : Revertimini, et emite nobis pauxillum escarum.
- Respondit Judas : Denuntiavit nobis vir ille sub attestatione jurisjurandi, dicens : Non videbitis faciem meam, nisi fratrem vestrum minimum adduxeritis vobiscum.
- Si ergo vis eum mittere nobiscum, pergemus pariter, et ememus tibi necessaria :
- sin autem non vis, non ibimus : vir enim, ut sæpe diximus, denuntiavit nobis, dicens : Non videbitis faciem meam absque fratre vestro minimo.
- Dixit eis Israël : In meam hoc fecistis miseriam, ut indicaretis ei et alium habere vos fratrem.
- At illi responderunt : Interrogavit nos homo per ordinem nostram progeniem : si pater viveret : si haberemus fratrem : et nos respondimus ei consequenter juxta id quod fuerat sciscitatus : numquid scire poteramus quod dicturus esset : Adducite fratrem vestrum vobiscum ?
- Judas quoque dixit patri suo : Mitte puerum mecum, ut proficiscamur, et possimus vivere : ne moriamur nos et parvuli nostri.
- Ego suscipio puerum : de manu mea require illum : nisi reduxero, et reddidero eum tibi, ero peccati reus in te omni tempore.
- Si non intercessisset dilatio, jam vice alter venissemus.
- Igitur Israël pater eorum dixit ad eos : Si sic necesse est, facite quod vultis : sumite de optimis terræ fructibus in vasis vestris, et deferte viro munera, modicum resinæ, et mellis, et storacis, stactes, et terebinthi, et amygdalarum.
- Pecuniam quoque duplicem ferte vobiscum : et illam, quam invenistis in sacculis, reportate, ne forte errore factum sit :
- sed et fratrem vestrum tollite, et ite ad virum.
- Deus autem meus omnipotens faciat vobis eum placabilem : et remittat vobiscum fratrem vestrum quem tenet, et hunc Benjamin : ego autem quasi orbatus absque liberis ero.
- Tulerunt ergo viri munera, et pecuniam duplicem, et Benjamin : descenderuntque in Ægyptum, et steterunt coram Joseph.
- Quos cum ille vidisset et Benjamin simul, præcepit dispensatori domus suæ, dicens : Introduc viros domum, et occide victimas, et instrue convivium : quoniam mecum sunt comesturi meridie.
- Fecit ille quod sibi fuerat imperatum, et introduxit viros domum.
- Ibique exterriti, dixerunt mutuo : Propter pecuniam, quam retulimus prius in saccis nostris, introducti sumus : ut devolvat in nos calumniam, et violenter subjiciat servituti et nos, et asinos nostros.
- Quam ob rem in ipsis foribus accedentes ad dispensatorem domus,
- locuti sunt : Oramus, domine, ut audias nos. Jam ante descendimus ut emeremus escas :
- quibus emptis, cum venissemus ad diversorium, aperuimus saccos nostros, et invenimus pecuniam in ore saccorum : quam nunc eodem pondere reportavimus.
- Sed et aliud attulimus argentum, ut emamus quæ nobis necessaria sunt : non est in nostra conscientia quis posuerit eam in marsupiis nostris.
- At ille respondit : Pax vobiscum, nolite timere : Deus vester, et Deus patris vestri, dedit vobis thesauros in saccis vestris : nam pecuniam, quam dedistis mihi, probatam ego habeo. Eduxitque ad eos Simeon.
- Et introductis domum, attulit aquam, et laverunt pedes suos, deditque pabulum asinis eorum.
- Illi vero parabant munera, donec ingrederetur Joseph meridie : audierant enim quod ibi comesturi essent panem.
- Igitur ingressus est Joseph domum suam, obtuleruntque ei munera, tenentes in manibus suis : et adoraverunt proni in terram.
- At ille, clementer resalutatis eis, interrogavit eos, dicens : Salvusne est pater vester senex, de quo dixeratis mihi ? adhuc vivit ?
- Qui responderunt : Sospes est servus tuus pater noster, adhuc vivit. Et incurvati, adoraverunt eum.
- Attollens autem Joseph oculos, vidit Benjamin fratrem suum uterinum, et ait : Iste est frater vester parvulus, de quo dixeratis mihi ? Et rursum : Deus, inquit, misereatur tui, fili mi.
- Festinavitque, quia commota fuerant viscera ejus super fratre suo, et erumpebant lacrimæ : et introiens cubiculum flevit.
- Rursumque lota facie egressus, continuit se, et ait : Ponite panes.
- Quibus appositis, seorsum Joseph, et seorsum fratribus, Ægyptiis quoque qui vescebantur simul, seorsum (illicitum est enim Ægyptiis comedere cum Hebræis, et profanum putant hujuscemodi convivium)
- sederunt coram eo, primogenitus juxta primogenita sua, et minimus juxta ætatem suam. Et mirabantur nimis,
- sumptis partibus quas ab eo acceperant : majorque pars venit Benjamin, ita ut quinque partibus excederet. Biberuntque et inebriati sunt cum eo.
|Genesis 43 Text (KJV)
- And the famine was sore in the land.
- And it came to pass, when they had eaten up the corn which they had brought out of Egypt, their father said unto them, Go again, buy us a little food.
- And Judah spake unto him, saying, The man did solemnly protest unto us, saying, Ye shall not see my face, except your brother be with you.
- If thou wilt send our brother with us, we will go down and buy thee food:
- But if thou wilt not send him, we will not go down: for the man said unto us, Ye shall not see my face, except your brother be with you.
- And Israel said, Wherefore dealt ye so ill with me, as to tell the man whether ye had yet a brother?
- And they said, The man asked us straitly of our state, and of our kindred, saying, Is your father yet alive? have ye another brother? and we told him according to the tenor of these words: could we certainly know that he would say, Bring your brother down?
- And Judah said unto Israel his father, Send the lad with me, and we will arise and go; that we may live, and not die, both we, and thou, and also our little ones.
- I will be surety for him; of my hand shalt thou require him: if I bring him not unto thee, and set him before thee, then let me bear the blame for ever:
- For except we had lingered, surely now we had returned this second time.
- And their father Israel said unto them, If it must be so now, do this; take of the best fruits in the land in your vessels, and carry down the man a present, a little balm, and a little honey, spices, and myrrh, nuts, and almonds:
- And take double money in your hand; and the money that was brought again in the mouth of your sacks, carry it again in your hand; peradventure it was an oversight:
- Take also your brother, and arise, go again unto the man:
- And God Almighty give you mercy before the man, that he may send away your other brother, and Benjamin. If I be bereaved of my children, I am bereaved.
- And the men took that present, and they took double money in their hand, and Benjamin; and rose up, and went down to Egypt, and stood before Joseph.
- And when Joseph saw Benjamin with them, he said to the ruler of his house, Bring these men home, and slay, and make ready; for these men shall dine with me at noon.
- And the man did as Joseph bade; and the man brought the men into Joseph's house.
- And the men were afraid, because they were brought into Joseph's house; and they said, Because of the money that was returned in our sacks at the first time are we brought in; that he may seek occasion against us, and fall upon us, and take us for bondmen, and our asses.
- And they came near to the steward of Joseph's house, and they communed with him at the door of the house,
- And said, O sir, we came indeed down at the first time to buy food:
- And it came to pass, when we came to the inn, that we opened our sacks, and, behold, every man's money was in the mouth of his sack, our money in full weight: and we have brought it again in our hand.
- And other money have we brought down in our hands to buy food: we cannot tell who put our money in our sacks.
- And he said, Peace be to you, fear not: your God, and the God of your father, hath given you treasure in your sacks: I had your money. And he brought Simeon out unto them.
- And the man brought the men into Joseph's house, and gave them water, and they washed their feet; and he gave their asses provender.
- And they made ready the present against Joseph came at noon: for they heard that they should eat bread there.
- And when Joseph came home, they brought him the present which was in their hand into the house, and bowed themselves to him to the earth.
- And he asked them of their welfare, and said, Is your father well, the old man of whom ye spake? Is he yet alive?
- And they answered, Thy servant our father is in good health, he is yet alive. And they bowed down their heads, and made obeisance.
- And he lifted up his eyes, and saw his brother Benjamin, his mother's son, and said, Is this your younger brother, of whom ye spake unto me? And he said, God be gracious unto thee, my son.
- And Joseph made haste; for his bowels did yearn upon his brother: and he sought where to weep; and he entered into his chamber, and wept there.
- And he washed his face, and went out, and refrained himself, and said, Set on bread.
- And they set on for him by himself, and for them by themselves, and for the Egyptians, which did eat with him, by themselves: because the Egyptians might not eat bread with the Hebrews; for that is an abomination unto the Egyptians.
- And they sat before him, the firstborn according to his birthright, and the youngest according to his youth: and the men marvelled one at another.
- And he took and sent messes unto them from before him: but Benjamin's mess was five times so much as any of theirs. And they drank, and were merry with him.