|Psalm 35 - Versions
|Psalm 35 Text (WEB)
- Contend, Yahweh, with those who contend with me. Fight against those who fight against me.
- Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for my help.
- Brandish the spear and block those who pursue me. Tell my soul, "I am your salvation."
- Let those who seek after my soul be disappointed and brought to dishonor. Let those who plot my ruin be turned back and confounded.
- Let them be as chaff before the wind, Yahweh's angel driving them on.
- Let their way be dark and slippery, Yahweh's angel pursuing them.
- For without cause they have hidden their net in a pit for me. Without cause they have dug a pit for my soul.
- Let destruction come on him unawares. Let his net that he has hidden catch himself. Let him fall into that destruction.
- My soul shall be joyful in Yahweh. It shall rejoice in his salvation.
- All my bones shall say, "Yahweh, who is like you, who delivers the poor from him who is too strong for him; yes, the poor and the needy from him who robs him?"
- Unrighteous witnesses rise up. They ask me about things that I don't know about.
- They reward me evil for good, to the bereaving of my soul.
- But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth. I afflicted my soul with fasting. My prayer returned into my own bosom.
- I behaved myself as though it had been my friend or my brother. I bowed down mourning, as one who mourns his mother.
- But in my adversity, they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together. The attackers gathered themselves together against me, and I didn't know it. They tore at me, and didn't cease.
- Like the profane mockers in feasts, they gnashed their teeth at me.
- Lord, how long will you look on? Rescue my soul from their destruction, my precious life from the lions.
- I will give you thanks in the great assembly. I will praise you among many people.
- Don't let those who are my enemies wrongfully rejoice over me; neither let those who hate me without a cause wink their eyes.
- For they don't speak peace, but they devise deceitful words against those who are quiet in the land.
- Yes, they opened their mouth wide against me. They said, "Aha! Aha! Our eye has seen it!"
- You have seen it, Yahweh. Don't keep silent. Lord, don't be far from me.
- Wake up! Rise up to defend me, my God! My Lord, contend for me!
- Vindicate me, Yahweh my God, according to your righteousness. Don't let them gloat over me.
- Don't let them say in their heart, "Aha! That's the way we want it!" Don't let them say, "We have swallowed him up!"
- Let them be disappointed and confounded together who rejoice at my calamity. Let them be clothed with shame and dishonor who magnify themselves against me.
- Let them shout for joy and be glad, who favor my righteous cause. Yes, let them say continually, "Yahweh be magnified, who has pleasure in the prosperity of his servant!"
- My tongue shall talk about your righteousness and about your praise all day long. For the Chief Musician. By David, the servant of Yahweh.
|Psalm 35 Text (Hebrew)
- לדוד ריבה יהוה את־יריבי לחם את־לחמי׃
- החזק מגן וצנה וקומה בעזרתי׃
- והרק חנית וסגר לקראת רדפי אמר לנפשי ישעתך אני׃
- יבשו ויכלמו מבקשי נפשי יסגו אחור ויחפרו חשבי רעתי׃
- יהיו כמץ לפני־רוח ומלאך יהוה דוחה׃
- יהי־דרכם חשך וחלקלקות ומלאך יהוה רדפם׃
- כי־חנם טמנו־לי שחת רשתם חנם חפרו לנפשי׃
- תבואהו שואה לא־ידע ורשתו אשר־טמן תלכדו בשואה יפל־בה׃
- ונפשי תגיל ביהוה תשיש בישועתו׃
- כל עצמותי תאמרנה יהוה מי כמוך מציל עני מחזק ממנו ועני ואביון מגזלו׃
- יקומון עדי חמס אשר לא־ידעתי ישאלוני׃
- ישלמוני רעה תחת טובה שכול לנפשי׃
- ואני בחלותם לבושי שק עניתי בצום נפשי ותפלתי על־חיקי תשוב׃
- כרע־כאח לי התהלכתי כאבל־אם קדר שחותי׃
- ובצלעי שמחו ונאספו נאספו עלי נכים ולא ידעתי קרעו ולא־דמו׃
- בחנפי לעגי מעוג חרק עלי שנימו׃
- אדני כמה תראה השיבה נפשי משאיהם מכפירים יחידתי׃
- אודך בקהל רב בעם עצום אהללך׃
- אל־ישמחו־לי איבי שקר שנאי חנם יקרצו־עין׃
- כי לא שלום ידברו ועל רגעי־ארץ דברי מרמות יחשבון׃
- וירחיבו עלי פיהם אמרו האח האח ראתה עינינו׃
- ראיתה יהוה אל־תחרש אדני אל־תרחק ממני׃
- העירה והקיצה למשפטי אלהי ואדני לריבי׃
- שפטני כצדקך יהוה אלהי ואל־ישמחו־לי׃
- אל־יאמרו בלבם האח נפשנו אל־יאמרו בלענוהו׃
- יבשו ויחפרו יחדו שמחי רעתי ילבשו־בשת וכלמה המגדילים עלי׃
- ירנו וישמחו חפצי צדקי ויאמרו תמיד יגדל יהוה החפץ שלום עבדו׃
- ולשוני תהגה צדקך כל־היום תהלתך׃
|Psalm 35 Text (Latin)
- Ipsi David. Judica, Domine, nocentes me ; expugna impugnantes me.
- Apprehende arma et scutum, et exsurge in adjutorium mihi.
- Effunde frameam, et conclude adversus eos qui persequuntur me ; dic animæ meæ : Salus tua ego sum.
- Confundantur et revereantur quærentes animam meam ; avertantur retrorsum et confundantur cogitantes mihi mala.
- Fiant tamquam pulvis ante faciem venti, et angelus Domini coarctans eos.
- Fiat via illorum tenebræ, et lubricum ; et angelus Domini persequens eos.
- Quoniam gratis absconderunt mihi interitum laquei sui, supervacue exprobraverunt animam meam.
- Veniat illi laqueus quem ignorat, et captio quam abscondit apprehendat eum, et in laqueum cadat in ipsum.
- Anima autem mea exsultabit in Domino, et delectabitur super salutari suo.
- Omnia ossa mea dicent : Domine, quis similis tibi ? eripiens inopem de manu fortiorum ejus ; egenum et pauperem a diripientibus eum.
- Surgentes testes iniqui, quæ ignorabam interrogabant me.
- Retribuebant mihi mala pro bonis, sterilitatem animæ meæ.
- Ego autem, cum mihi molesti essent, induebar cilicio ; humiliabam in jejunio animam meam, et oratio mea in sinu meo convertetur.
- Quasi proximum et quasi fratrem nostrum sic complacebam ; quasi lugens et contristatus sic humiliabar.
- Et adversum me lætati sunt, et convenerunt ; congregata sunt super me flagella, et ignoravi.
- Dissipati sunt, nec compuncti, tentaverunt me, subsannaverunt me subsannatione ; frenduerunt super me dentibus suis.
- Domine, quando respicies ? Restitue animam meam a malignitate eorum, a leonibus unicam meam.
- Confitebor tibi in ecclesia magna ; in populo gravi laudabo te.
- Non supergaudeant mihi qui adversantur mihi inique, qui oderunt me gratis, et annuunt oculis.
- Quoniam mihi quidem pacifice loquebantur ; et in iracundia terræ loquentes, dolos cogitabant.
- Et dilataverunt super me os suum ; dixerunt : Euge, euge ! viderunt oculi nostri.
- Vidisti, Domine, ne sileas ; Domine, ne discedas a me.
- Exsurge et intende judicio meo, Deus meus ; et Dominus meus, in causam meam.
- Judica me secundum justitiam tuam, Domine Deus meus, et non supergaudeant mihi.
- Non dicant in cordibus suis : Euge, euge, animæ nostræ ; nec dicant : Devoravimus eum.
- Erubescant et revereantur simul qui gratulantur malis meis ; induantur confusione et reverentia qui magna loquuntur super me.
- Exsultent et lætentur qui volunt justitiam meam ; et dicant semper : Magnificetur Dominus, qui volunt pacem servi ejus.
- Et lingua mea meditabitur justitiam tuam, tota die laudem tuam.
|Psalm 35 Text (KJV)
- Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
- Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.
- Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
- Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.
- Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.
- Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.
- For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.
- Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.
- And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.
- All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?
- False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.
- They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
- But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
- I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
- But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:
- With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.
- Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
- I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.
- Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
- For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
- Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
- This thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.
- Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
- Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
- Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.
- Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.
- Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
- And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.