| Genesis 38 - Versions
| Genesis 38 Text (WEB)
- It happened at that time, that Judah went down from his brothers, and visited a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
- Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite whose name was Shua. He took her, and went in to her.
- She conceived, and bore a son; and he named him Er.
- She conceived again, and bore a son; and she named him Onan.
- She yet again bore a son, and named him Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bore him.
- Judah took a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar.
- Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of Yahweh. Yahweh killed him.
- Judah said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her, and raise up seed to your brother."
- Onan knew that the seed wouldn't be his; and it happened, when he went in to his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest he should give seed to his brother.
- The thing which he did was evil in the sight of Yahweh, and he killed him also.
- Then Judah said to Tamar, his daughter-in-law, "Remain a widow in your father's house, until Shelah, my son, is grown up;" for he said, "Lest he also die, like his brothers." Tamar went and lived in her father's house.
- After many days, Shua's daughter, the wife of Judah, died. Judah was comforted, and went up to his sheepshearers to Timnah, he and his friend Hirah, the Adullamite.
- It was told Tamar, saying, "Behold, your father-in-law is going up to Timnah to shear his sheep."
- She took off of her the garments of her widowhood, and covered herself with her veil, and wrapped herself, and sat in the gate of Enaim, which is by the way to Timnah; for she saw that Shelah was grown up, and she wasn't given to him as a wife.
- When Judah saw her, he thought that she was a prostitute, for she had covered her face.
- He turned to her by the way, and said, "Please come, let me come in to you," for he didn't know that she was his daughter-in-law. She said, "What will you give me, that you may come in to me?"
- He said, "I will send you a young goat from the flock." She said, "Will you give me a pledge, until you send it?"
- He said, "What pledge will I give you?" She said, "Your signet and your cord, and your staff that is in your hand." He gave them to her, and came in to her, and she conceived by him.
- She arose, and went away, and put off her veil from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
- Judah sent the young goat by the hand of his friend, the Adullamite, to receive the pledge from the woman's hand, but he didn't find her.
- Then he asked the men of her place, saying, "Where is the prostitute, that was at Enaim by the road?" They said, "There has been no prostitute here."
- He returned to Judah, and said, "I haven't found her; and also the men of the place said, 'There has been no prostitute here.'"
- Judah said, "Let her keep it, lest we be shamed. Behold, I sent this young goat, and you haven't found her."
- It happened about three months later, that it was told Judah, saying, "Tamar, your daughter-in-law, has played the prostitute; and moreover, behold, she is with child by prostitution." Judah said, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt."
- When she was brought forth, she sent to her father-in-law, saying, "By the man, whose these are, I am with child." She also said, "Please discern whose are these--the signet, and the cords, and the staff."
- Judah acknowledged them, and said, "She is more righteous than I, because I didn't give her to Shelah, my son." He knew her again no more.
- It happened in the time of her travail, that behold, twins were in her womb.
- When she travailed, one put out a hand, and the midwife took and tied a scarlet thread on his hand, saying, "This came out first."
- It happened, as he drew back his hand, that behold, his brother came out, and she said, "Why have you made a breach for yourself?" Therefore his name was called Perez.
- Afterward his brother came out, that had the scarlet thread on his hand, and his name was called Zerah.
| Genesis 38 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בעת ההוא וירד יהודה מאת אחיו ויט עד־איש עדלמי ושמו חירה׃
- וירא־שם יהודה בת־איש כנעני ושמו שוע ויקחה ויבא אליה׃
- ותהר ותלד בן ויקרא את־שמו ער׃
- ותהר עוד ותלד בן ותקרא את־שמו אוןן׃
- ותסף עוד ותלד בן ותקרא את־שמו שלה והיה בכזיב בלדתה אתו׃
- ויקח יהודה אשה לער בכורו ושמה תמר׃
- ויהי ער בכור יהודה רע בעיני יהוה וימתהו יהוה׃
- ויאמר יהודה לאוןן בא אל־אשת אחיך ויבם אתה והקם זרע לאחיך׃
- וידע אוןן כי לא לו יהיה הזרע והיה אם־בא אל־אשת אחיו ושחת ארצה לבלתי נתן־זרע לאחיו׃
- וירע בעיני יהוה אשר עשה וימת גם־אתו׃
- ויאמר יהודה לתמר כלתו שבי אלמנה בית־אביך עד־יגדל שלה בני כי אמר פן־ימות גם־הוא כאחיו ותלך תמר ותשב בית אביה׃
- וירבו הימים ותמת בת־שוע אשת־יהודה וינחם יהודה ויעל על־גזזי צאנו הוא וחירה רעהו העדלמי תמנתה׃
- ויגד לתמר לאמר הנה חמיך עלה תמנתה לגז צאנו׃
- ותסר בגדי אלמנותה מעליה ותכס בצעיף ותתעלף ותשב בפתח עינים אשר על־דרך תמנתה כי ראתה כי־גדל שלה והוא לא־נתנה לו לאשה׃
- ויראה יהודה ויחשבה לזונה כי כסתה פניה׃
- ויט אליה אל־הדרך ויאמר הבה־נא אבוא אליך כי לא ידע כי כלתו הוא ותאמר מה־תתן־לי כי תבוא אלי׃
- ויאמר אנכי אשלח גדי־עזים מן־הצאן ותאמר אם־תתן ערבון עד שלחך׃
- ויאמר מה הערבון אשר אתן־לך ותאמר חתמך ופתילך ומטך אשר בידך ויתן־לה ויבא אליה ותהר לו׃
- ותקם ותלך ותסר צעיפה מעליה ותלבש בגדי אלמנותה׃
- וישלח יהודה את־גדי העזים ביד רעהו העדלמי לקחת הערבון מיד האשה ולא מצאה׃
- וישאל את־אנשי מקמה לאמר איה הקדשה הוא בעינים על־הדרך ויאמרו לא־היתה בזה קדשה׃
- וישב אל־יהודה ויאמר לא מצאתיה וגם אנשי המקום אמרו לא־היתה בזה קדשה׃
- ויאמר יהודה תקח־לה פן נהיה לבוז הנה שלחתי הגדי הזה ואתה לא מצאתה׃
- ויהי כמשלש חדשים ויגד ליהודה לאמר זנתה תמר כלתך וגם הנה הרה לזנונים ויאמר יהודה הוציאוה ותשרף׃
- הוא מוצאת והיא שלחה אל־חמיה לאמר לאיש אשר־אלה לו אנכי הרה ותאמר הכר־נא למי החתמת והפתילים והמטה האלה׃
- ויכר יהודה ויאמר צדקה ממני כי־על־כן לא־נתתיה לשלה בני ולא־יסף עוד לדעתה׃
- ויהי בעת לדתה והנה תאומים בבטנה׃
- ויהי בלדתה ויתן־יד ותקח המילדת ותקשר על־ידו שני לאמר זה יצא ראשנה׃
- ויהי כמשיב ידו והנה יצא אחיו ותאמר מה־פרצת עליך פרץ ויקרא שמו פרץ׃
- ואחר יצא אחיו אשר על־ידו השני ויקרא שמו זרח׃ ס
| Genesis 38 Text (Latin)
- Eodem tempore, descendens Judas a fratribus suis, divertit ad virum Odollamitem, nomine Hiram.
- Viditque ibi filiam hominis Chananæi, vocabulo Sue : et accepta uxore, ingressus est ad eam.
- Quæ concepit, et peperit filium, et vocavit nomen ejus Her.
- Rursumque concepto fœtu, natum filium vocavit Onan.
- Tertium quoque peperit : quem appellavit Sela ; quo nato, parere ultra cessavit.
- Dedit autem Judas uxorem primogenito suo Her, nomine Thamar.
- Fuit quoque Her primogenitus Judæ nequam in conspectu Domini : et ab eo occisus est.
- Dixit ergo Judas ad Onan filium suum : Ingredere uxorem fratris tui, et sociare illi, ut suscites semen fratri tuo.
- Ille sciens non sibi nasci filios, introiens ad uxorem fratris sui, semen fundebat in terram, ne liberi fratris nomine nascerentur.
- Et idcirco percussit eum Dominus, quod rem detestabilem faceret.
- Quam ob rem dixit Judas Thamar nurui suæ : Esto vidua in domo patris tui, donec crescat Sela filius meus : timebat enim ne et ipse moreretur, sicut fratres ejus. Quæ abiit, et habitavit in domo patris sui.
- Evolutis autem multis diebus, mortua est filia Sue uxor Judæ : qui, post luctum consolatione suscepta, ascendebat ad tonsores ovium suarum, ipse et Hiras opilio gregis Odollamites, in Thamnas.
- Nuntiatumque est Thamar quod socer illius ascenderet in Thamnas ad tondendas oves.
- Quæ, depositis viduitatis vestibus, assumpsit theristrum : et mutato habitu, sedit in bivio itineris, quod ducit Thamnam : eo quod crevisset Sela, et non eum accepisset maritum.
- Quam cum vidisset Judas, suspicatus est esse meretricem : operuerat enim vultum suum, ne agnosceretur.
- Ingrediensque ad eam, ait : Dimitte me ut coëam tecum : nesciebat enim quod nurus sua esset. Qua respondente : Quid dabis mihi ut fruaris concubitu meo ?
- dixit : Mittam tibi hædam de gregibus. Rursumque illa dicente : Patiar quod vis, si dederis mihi arrhabonem, donec mittas quod polliceris.
- Ait Judas : Quid tibi vis pro arrhabone dari ? Respondit : Annulum tuum, et armillam, et baculum quem manu tenes. Ad unum igitur coitum mulier concepit,
- et surgens abiit : depositoque habitu quem sumpserat, induta est viduitatis vestibus.
- Misit autem Judas hædum per pastorem suum Odollamitem, ut reciperet pignus quod dederat mulieri : qui cum non invenisset eam,
- interrogavit homines loci illius : Ubi est mulier quæ sedebat in bivio ? Respondentibus cunctis : Non fuit in loco ista meretrix.
- Reversus est ad Judam, et dixit ei : Non inveni eam : sed et homines loci illius dixerunt mihi, numquam sedisse ibi scortum.
- Ait Judas : Habeat sibi, certe mendacii arguere nos non potest, ego misi hædum quem promiseram : et tu non invenisti eam.
- Ecce autem post tres menses nuntiaverunt Judæ, dicentes : Fornicata est Thamar nurus tua, et videtur uterus illius intumescere. Dixitque Judas : Producite eam ut comburatur.
- Quæ cum duceretur ad pœnam, misit ad socerum suum, dicens : De viro, cujus hæc sunt, concepi : cognosce cujus sit annulus, et armilla, et baculus.
- Qui, agnitis muneribus, ait : Justior me est : quia non tradidi eam Sela filio meo. Attamen ultra non cognovit eam.
- Instante autem partu, apparuerunt gemini in utero : atque in ipsa effusione infantium unus protulit manum, in qua obstetrix ligavit coccinum, dicens :
- Iste egredietur prior.
- Illo vero retrahente manum, egressus est alter : dixitque mulier : Quare divisa est propter te maceria ? et ob hanc causam, vocavit nomen ejus Phares.
- Postea egressus est frater ejus, in cujus manu erat coccinum : quem appellavit Zara.
| Genesis 38 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
- And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her.
- And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.
- And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan.
- And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him.
- And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
- And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him.
- And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
- And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
- And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.
- Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and dwelt in her father's house.
- And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah's wife died; and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
- And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up to Timnath to shear his sheep.
- And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her with a vail, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was not given unto him to wife.
- When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she had covered her face.
- And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee, let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come in unto me?
- And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock. And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it?
- And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that is in thine hand. And he gave it her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.
- And she arose, and went away, and laid by her vail from her, and put on the garments of her widowhood.
- And Judah sent the kid by the hand of his friend the Adullamite, to receive his pledge from the woman's hand: but he found her not.
- Then he asked the men of that place, saying, Where is the harlot, that was openly by the way side? And they said, There was no harlot in this place.
- And he returned to Judah, and said, I cannot find her; and also the men of the place said, that there was no harlot in this place.
- And Judah said, Let her take it to her, lest we be shamed: behold, I sent this kid, and thou hast not found her.
- And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.
- When she was brought forth, she sent to her father in law, saying, By the man, whose these are, am I with child: and she said, Discern, I pray thee, whose are these, the signet, and bracelets, and staff.
- And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.
- And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.
- And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first,
- And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.
- And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah.