|Judges 8 - Versions
|Judges 8 Text (WEB)
- The men of Ephraim said to him, "Why have you treated us this way, that you didn't call us, when you went to fight with Midian?" They rebuked him sharply.
- He said to them, "What have I now done in comparison with you? Isn't the gleaning of the grapes of Ephraim better than the vintage of Abiezer?
- God has delivered into your hand the princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb! What was I able to do in comparison with you?" Then their anger was abated toward him, when he had said that.
- Gideon came to the Jordan, [and] passed over, he, and the three hundred men who were with him, faint, yet pursuing.
- He said to the men of Succoth, "Please give loaves of bread to the people who follow me; for they are faint, and I am pursuing after Zebah and Zalmunna, the kings of Midian."
- The princes of Succoth said, "Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in your hand, that we should give bread to your army?"
- Gideon said, "Therefore when Yahweh has delivered Zebah and Zalmunna into my hand, then I will tear your flesh with the thorns of the wilderness and with briers."
- He went up there to Penuel, and spoke to them in the same way; and the men of Penuel answered him as the men of Succoth had answered.
- He spoke also to the men of Penuel, saying, "When I come again in peace, I will break down this tower."
- Now Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor, and their armies with them, about fifteen thousand men, all who were left of all the army of the children of the east; for there fell one hundred twenty thousand men who drew sword.
- Gideon went up by the way of those who lived in tents on the east of Nobah and Jogbehah, and struck the army; for the army was secure.
- Zebah and Zalmunna fled; and he pursued after them; and he took the two kings of Midian, Zebah and Zalmunna, and confused all the army.
- Gideon the son of Joash returned from the battle from the ascent of Heres.
- He caught a young man of the men of Succoth, and inquired of him: and he described for him the princes of Succoth, and its elders, seventy-seven men.
- He came to the men of Succoth, and said, "See Zebah and Zalmunna, concerning whom you taunted me, saying, 'Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in your hand, that we should give bread to your men who are weary?'"
- He took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth.
- He broke down the tower of Penuel, and killed the men of the city.
- Then he said to Zebah and Zalmunna, "What kind of men were they whom you killed at Tabor?" They answered, "They were like you. Each one resembled the children of a king."
- He said, "They were my brothers, the sons of my mother. As Yahweh lives, if you had saved them alive, I would not kill you."
- He said to Jether his firstborn, "Get up, and kill them!" But the youth didn't draw his sword; for he was afraid, because he was yet a youth.
- Then Zebah and Zalmunna said, "Rise and fall on us; for as the man is, so is his strength." Gideon arose, and killed Zebah and Zalmunna, and took the crescents that were on their camels' necks.
- Then the men of Israel said to Gideon, "Rule over us, both you, and your son, and your son's son also; for you have saved us out of the hand of Midian."
- Gideon said to them, "I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you. Yahweh shall rule over you."
- Gideon said to them, "I would make a request of you, that you would give me every man the earrings of his spoil." (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)
- They answered, "We will willingly give them." They spread a garment, and every man threw the earrings of his spoil into it.
- The weight of the golden earrings that he requested was one thousand and seven hundred [shekels] of gold, besides the crescents, and the pendants, and the purple clothing that was on the kings of Midian, and besides the chains that were about their camels' necks.
- Gideon made an ephod of it, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel played the prostitute after it there; and it became a snare to Gideon, and to his house.
- So Midian was subdued before the children of Israel, and they lifted up their heads no more. The land had rest forty years in the days of Gideon.
- Jerubbaal the son of Joash went and lived in his own house.
- Gideon had seventy sons conceived from his body; for he had many wives.
- His concubine who was in Shechem, she also bore him a son, and he named him Abimelech.
- Gideon the son of Joash died in a good old age, and was buried in the tomb of Joash his father, in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
- It happened, as soon as Gideon was dead, that the children of Israel turned again, and played the prostitute after the Baals, and made Baal Berith their god.
- The children of Israel didn't remember Yahweh their God, who had delivered them out of the hand of all their enemies on every side;
- neither did they show kindness to the house of Jerubbaal, [who is] Gideon, according to all the goodness which he had shown to Israel.
|Judges 8 Text (Hebrew)
- ויאמרו אליו איש אפרים מה־הדבר הזה עשית לנו לבלתי קראות לנו כי הלכת להלחם במדין ויריבון אתו בחזקה׃
- ויאמר אליהם מה־עשיתי עתה ככם הלוא טוב עללות אפרים מבציר אביעזר׃
- בידכם נתן אלהים את־שרי מדין את־ערב ואת־זאב ומה־יכלתי עשות ככם אז רפתה רוחם מעליו בדברו הדבר הזה׃
- ויבא גדעון הירדנה עבר הוא ושלש־מאות האיש אשר אתו עיפים ורדפים׃
- ויאמר לאנשי סכות תנו־נא ככרות לחם לעם אשר ברגלי כי־עיפים הם ואנכי רדף אחרי זבח וצלמנע מלכי מדין׃
- ויאמר שרי סכות הכף זבח וצלמנע עתה בידך כי־נתן לצבאך לחם׃
- ויאמר גדעון לכן בתת יהוה את־זבח ואת־צלמנע בידי ודשתי את־בשרכם את־קוצי המדבר ואת־הברקנים׃
- ויעל משם פנואל וידבר אליהם כזאת ויענו אותו אנשי פנואל כאשר ענו אנשי סכות׃
- ויאמר גם־לאנשי פנואל לאמר בשובי בשלום אתץ את־המגדל הזה׃ ף
- וזבח וצלמנע בקרקר ומחניהם עםם כחמשת עשר אלף כל הנותרים מכל מחנה בני־קדם והנפלים מאה ועשרים אלף איש שלף חרב׃
- ויעל גדעון דרך השכוני באהלים מקדם לנבח ויגבהה ויך את־המחנה והמחנה היה בטח׃
- וינוסו זבח וצלמנע וירדף אחריהם וילכד את־שני מלכי מדין את־זבח ואת־צלמנע וכל־המחנה החריד׃
- וישב גדעון בן־יואש מן־המלחמה מלמעלה החרס׃
- וילכד־נער מאנשי סכות וישאלהו ויכתב אליו את־שרי סכות ואת־זקניה שבעים ושבעה איש׃
- ויבא אל־אנשי סכות ויאמר הנה זבח וצלמנע אשר חרפתם אותי לאמר הכף זבח וצלמנע עתה בידך כי נתן לאנשיך היעפים לחם׃
- ויקח את־זקני העיר ואת־קוצי המדבר ואת־הברקנים וידע בהם את אנשי סכות׃
- ואת־מגדל פנואל נתץ ויהרג את־אנשי העיר׃
- ויאמר אל־זבח ואל־צלמנע איפה האנשים אשר הרגתם בתבור ויאמרו כמוך כמוהם אחד כתאר בני המלך׃
- ויאמר אחי בני־אמי הם חי־יהוה לו החיתם אותם לא הרגתי אתכם׃
- ויאמר ליתר בכורו קום הרג אותם ולא־שלף הנער חרבו כי ירא כי עודנו נער׃
- ויאמר זבח וצלמנע קום אתה ופגע־בנו כי כאיש גבורתו ויקם גדעון ויהרג את־זבח ואת־צלמנע ויקח את־השהרנים אשר בצוארי גמליהם׃
- ויאמרו איש־ישראל אל־גדעון משל־בנו גם־אתה גם־בנך גם בן־בנך כי הושעתנו מיד מדין׃
- ויאמר אלהם גדעון לא־אמשל אני בכם ולא־ימשל בני בכם יהוה ימשל בכם׃
- ויאמר אלהם גדעון אשאלה םכם שאלה ותנו־לי איש נזם שללו כי־נזמי זהב להם כי ישמעאלים הם׃
- ויאמרו נתון נתן ויפרשו את־השמלה וישליכו שמה איש נזם שללו׃
- ויהי משקל נזמי הזהב אשר שאל אלף ושבע־מאות זהב לבד מן־השהרנים והנטפות ובגדי הארגמן שעל מלכי מדין ולבד מן־הענקות אשר בצוארי גמליהם׃
- ויעש אותו גדעון לאפוד ויצג אותו בעירו בעפרה ויזנו כל־ישראל אחריו שם ויהי לגדעון ולביתו למוקש׃
- ויכנע מדין לפני בני ישראל ולא יספו לשאת ראשם ותשקט הארץ ארבעים שנה בימי גדעון׃ ף
- וילך ירבעל בן־יואש וישב בביתו׃
- ולגדעון היו שבעים בנים יצאי ירכו כי־נשים רבות היו לו׃
- ופילגשו אשר בשכם ילדה־לו גם־היא בן וישם את־שמו אבימלך׃
- וימת גדעון בן־יואש בשיבה טובה ויקבר בקבר יואש אביו בעפרה אבי העזרי׃ ף
- ויהי כאשר מת גדעון וישובו בני ישראל ויזנו אחרי הבעלים וישימו להם בעל ברית לאלהים׃
- ולא זכרו בני ישראל את־יהוה אלהיהם המציל אותם מיד כל־איביהם מסביב׃
- ולא־עשו חסד עם־בית ירבעל גדעון ככל־הטובה אשר עשה עם־ישראל׃ ף
|Judges 8 Text (Latin)
- Dixeruntque ad eum viri Ephraim : Quid est hoc quod facere voluisti, ut nos non vocares, cum ad pugnam pergeres contra Madian ? jurgantes fortiter, et prope vim inferentes.
- Quibus ille respondit : Quod enim tale facere potui, quale vos fecistis ? nonne melior est racemus Ephraim, vindemiis Abiezer ?
- In manus vestras Dominus tradidit principes Madian, Oreb et Zeb : quid tale facere potui, quale vos fecistis ? Quod cum locutus esset, requievit spiritus eorum, quo tumebant contra eum.
- Cumque venisset Gedeon ad Jordanem, transivit eum cum trecentis viris, qui secum erant : et præ lassitudine, fugientes persequi non poterant.
- Dixitque ad viros Soccoth : Date, obsecro, panes populo, qui mecum est, quia valde defecerunt : ut possimus persequi Zebee et Salmana reges Madian.
- Responderunt principes Soccoth : Forsitan palmæ manuum Zebee et Salmana in manu tua sunt, et idcirco postulas ut demus exercitui tuo panes.
- Quibus ille ait : Cum ergo tradiderit Dominus Zebee et Salmana in manus meas, conteram carnes vestras cum spinis tribulisque deserti.
- Et inde conscendens, venit in Phanuel : locutusque est ad viros loci illius similia. Cui et illi responderunt, sicut responderant viri Soccoth.
- Dixit itaque et eis : Cum reversus fuero victor in pace, destruam turrim hanc.
- Zebee autem et Salmana requiescebant cum omni exercitu suo. Quindecim enim millia viri remanserant ex omnibus turmis orientalium populorum, cæsis centum viginti millibus bellatorum educentium gladium.
- Ascendensque Gedeon per viam eorum, qui in tabernaculis morabantur, ad orientalem partem Nobe et Jegbaa, percussit castra hostium, qui securi erant, et nihil adversi suspicabantur.
- Fugeruntque Zebee et Salmana, quos persequens Gedeon comprehendit, turbato omni exercitu eorum.
- Revertensque de bello ante solis ortum,
- apprehendit puerum de viris Soccoth : interrogavitque eum nomina principum et seniorum Soccoth, et descripsit septuaginta septem viros.
- Venitque ad Soccoth, et dixit eis : En Zebee et Salmana, super quibus exprobrastis mihi, dicentes : Forsitan manus Zebee et Salmana in manibus tuis sunt, et idcirco postulas ut demus viris, qui lassi sunt et defecerunt, panes.
- Tulit ergo seniores civitatis et spinas deserti ac tribulos, et contrivit cum eis atque comminuit viros Soccoth.
- Turrim quoque Phanuel subvertit, occisis habitatoribus civitatis.
- Dixitque ad Zebee et Salmana : Quales fuerunt viri, quos occidistis in Thabor ? Qui responderunt : Similes tui, et unus ex eis quasi filius regis.
- Quibus ille respondit : Fratres mei fuerunt, filii matris meæ. Vivit Dominus, quia si servassetis eos, non vos occiderem.
- Dixitque Jether primogenito suo : Surge, et interfice eos. Qui non eduxit gladium : timebat enim, quia adhuc puer erat.
- Dixeruntque Zebee et Salmana : Tu surge, et irrue in nos : quia juxta ætatem robur est hominis. Surrexit Gedeon, et interfecit Zebee et Salmana : et tulit ornamenta ac bullas quibus colla regalium camelorum decorari solent.
- Dixeruntque omnes viri Israël ad Gedeon : Dominare nostri tu, et filius tuus, et filius filii tui : quia liberasti nos de manu Madian.
- Quibus ille ait : Non dominabor vestri, nec dominabitur in vos filius meus, sed dominabitur vobis Dominus.
- Dixitque ad eos : Unam petitionem postulo a vobis : date mihi inaures ex præda vestra. Inaures enim aureas Ismaëlitæ habere consueverant.
- Qui responderunt : Libentissime dabimus. Expandentesque super terram pallium, projecerunt in eo inaures de præda :
- et fuit pondus postulatarum inaurium, mille septingenti auri sicli, absque ornamentis, et monilibus, et veste purpurea, quibus reges Madian uti soliti erant, et præter torques aureas camelorum.
- Fecitque ex eo Gedeon ephod, et posuit illud in civitate sua Ephra. Fornicatusque est omnis Israël in eo, et factum est Gedeoni et omni domui ejus in ruinam.
- Humiliatus est autem Madian coram filiis Israël, nec potuerunt ultra cervices elevare : sed quievit terra per quadraginta annos, quibus Gedeon præfuit.
- Abiit itaque Jerobaal filius Joas, et habitavit in domo sua :
- habuitque septuaginta filios, qui egressi sunt de femore ejus : eo quod plures haberet uxores.
- Concubina autem illius, quam habebat in Sichem, genuit ei filium nomine Abimelech.
- Mortuusque est Gedeon filius Joas in senectute bona, et sepultus est in sepulchro Joas patris sui in Ephra de familia Ezri.
- Postquam autem mortuus est Gedeon, aversi sunt filii Israël, et fornicati sunt cum Baalim. Percusseruntque cum Baal fœdus, ut esset eis in deum :
- nec recordati sunt Domini Dei sui, qui eruit eos de manibus inimicorum suorum omnium per circuitum :
- nec fecerunt misericordiam cum domo Jerobaal Gedeon, juxta omnia bona quæ fecerat Israëli.
|Judges 8 Text (KJV)
- And the men of Ephraim said unto him, Why hast thou served us thus, that thou calledst us not, when thou wentest to fight with the Midianites? And they did chide with him sharply.
- And he said unto them, What have I done now in comparison of you? Is not the gleaning of the grapes of Ephraim better than the vintage of Abi-ezer?
- God hath delivered into your hands the princes of Midian, Oreb and Zeeb: and what was I able to do in comparison of you? Then their anger was abated toward him, when he had said that.
- And Gideon came to Jordan, and passed over, he, and the three hundred men that were with him, faint, yet pursuing them.
- And he said unto the men of Succoth, Give, I pray you, loaves of bread unto the people that follow me; for they be faint, and I am pursuing after Zebah and Zalmunna, kings of Midian.
- And the princes of Succoth said, Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in thine hand, that we should give bread unto thine army?
- And Gideon said, Therefore when the LORD hath delivered Zebah and Zalmunna into mine hand, then I will tear your flesh with the thorns of the wilderness and with briers.
- And he went up thence to Penuel, and spake unto them likewise: and the men of Penuel answered him as the men of Succoth had answered him.
- And he spake also unto the men of Penuel, saying, When I come again in peace, I will break down this tower.
- Now Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor, and their hosts with them, about fifteen thousand men, all that were left of all the hosts of the children of the east: for there fell an hundred and twenty thousand men that drew sword.
- And Gideon went up by the way of them that dwelt in tents on the east of Nobah and Jogbehah, and smote the host: for the host was secure.
- And when Zebah and Zalmunna fled, he pursued after them, and took the two kings of Midian, Zebah and Zalmunna, and discomfited all the host.
- And Gideon the son of Joash returned from battle before the sun was up,
- And caught a young man of the men of Succoth, and inquired of him: and he described unto him the princes of Succoth, and the elders thereof, even threescore and seventeen men.
- And he came unto the men of Succoth, and said, Behold Zebah and Zalmunna, with whom ye did upbraid me, saying, Are the hands of Zebah and Zalmunna now in thine hand, that we should give bread unto thy men that are weary?
- And he took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth.
- And he beat down the tower of Penuel, and slew the men of the city.
- Then said he unto Zebah and Zalmunna, What manner of men were they whom ye slew at Tabor? And they answered, As thou art, so were they; each one resembled the children of a king.
- And he said, They were my brethren, even the sons of my mother: as the LORD liveth, if ye had saved them alive, I would not slay you.
- And he said unto Jether his firstborn, Up, and slay them. But the youth drew not his sword: for he feared, because he was yet a youth.
- Then Zebah and Zalmunna said, Rise thou, and fall upon us: for as the man is, so is his strength. And Gideon arose, and slew Zebah and Zalmunna, and took away the ornaments that were on their camels' necks.
- Then the men of Israel said unto Gideon, Rule thou over us, both thou, and thy son, and thy son's son also: for thou hast delivered us from the hand of Midian.
- And Gideon said unto them, I will not rule over you, neither shall my son rule over you: the LORD shall rule over you.
- And Gideon said unto them, I would desire a request of you, that ye would give me every man the earrings of his prey. (For they had golden earrings, because they were Ishmaelites.)
- And they answered, We will willingly give them. And they spread a garment, and did cast therein every man the earrings of his prey.
- And the weight of the golden earrings that he requested was a thousand and seven hundred shekels of gold; beside ornaments, and collars, and purple raiment that was on the kings of Midian, and beside the chains that were about their camels' necks.
- And Gideon made an ephod thereof, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel went thither a whoring after it: which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house.
- Thus was Midian subdued before the children of Israel, so that they lifted up their heads no more. And the country was in quietness forty years in the days of Gideon.
- And Jerubbaal the son of Joash went and dwelt in his own house.
- And Gideon had threescore and ten sons of his body begotten: for he had many wives.
- And his concubine that was in Shechem, she also bare him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.
- And Gideon the son of Joash died in a good old age, and was buried in the sepulchre of Joash his father, in Ophrah of the Abi-ezrites.
- And it came to pass, as soon as Gideon was dead, that the children of Israel turned again, and went a whoring after Baalim, and made Baal-berith their god.
- And the children of Israel remembered not the LORD their God, who had delivered them out of the hands of all their enemies on every side:
- Neither shewed they kindness to the house of Jerubbaal, namely, Gideon, according to all the goodness which he had shewed unto Israel.