|Ruth 4 - Versions
|Ruth 4 Text (WEB)
- Now Boaz went up to the gate, and sat down there. Behold, the near kinsman of whom Boaz spoke came by; to whom he said, "Come over here, friend, and sit down!" He turned aside, and sat down.
- He took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, "Sit down here." They sat down.
- He said to the near kinsman, "Naomi, who has come back out of the country of Moab, is selling the parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's.
- I thought to disclose it to you, saying, 'Buy it before those who sit here, and before the elders of my people.' If you will redeem it, redeem it; but if you will not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know. For there is no one to redeem it besides you; and I am after you." He said, "I will redeem it."
- Then Boaz said, "On the day you buy the field from the hand of Naomi, you must buy it also from Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead on his inheritance."
- The near kinsman said, "I can't redeem it for myself, lest I mar my own inheritance. Take my right of redemption for yourself; for I can't redeem it."
- Now this was [the custom] in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning exchanging, to confirm all things: a man took off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbor; and this was the [way of] attestation in Israel.
- So the near kinsman said to Boaz, "Buy it for yourself." He took off his shoe.
- Boaz said to the elders, and to all the people, "You are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, from the hand of Naomi.
- Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, I have purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead on his inheritance, that the name of the dead not be cut off from among his brothers, and from the gate of his place. You are witnesses this day."
- All the people who were in the gate, and the elders, said, "We are witnesses. May Yahweh make the woman who has come into your house like Rachel and like Leah, which two built the house of Israel; and treat you worthily in Ephrathah, and be famous in Bethlehem.
- Let your house be like the house of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah, of the seed which Yahweh shall give you of this young woman."
- So Boaz took Ruth, and she became his wife; and he went in to her, and Yahweh gave her conception, and she bore a son.
- The women said to Naomi, "Blessed be Yahweh, who has not left you this day without a near kinsman; and let his name be famous in Israel.
- He shall be to you a restorer of life, and sustain you in your old age, for your daughter-in-law, who loves you, who is better to you than seven sons, has borne him."
- Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse to it.
- The women, her neighbors, gave him a name, saying, "There is a son born to Naomi;" and they named him Obed. He is the father of Jesse, the father of David.
- Now this is the history of the generations of Perez: Perez became the father of Hezron,
- and Hezron became the father of Ram, and Ram became the father of Amminadab,
- and Amminadab became the father of Nahshon, and Nahshon became the father of Salmon,
- and Salmon became the father of Boaz, and Boaz became the father of Obed,
- and Obed became the father of Jesse, and Jesse became the father of David.
|Ruth 4 Text (Hebrew)
- ובעז עלה השער וישב שם והנה הגאל עבר אשר דבר־בעז ויאמר סורה שבה־פה פלני אלמני ויסר וישב׃
- ויקח עשרה אנשים מזקני העיר ויאמר שבו־פה וישבו׃
- ויאמר לגאל חלקת השדה אשר לאחינו לאלימלך מכרה נעמי השבה משדה מואב׃
- ואני אמרתי אגלה אזנך לאמר קנה נגד הישבימ ונגד זקני עמי אם־תגאל גאל ואם־לא יגאל הגידה לי כי אין זולתך לגאול ואנכי אחריך ויאמר אנכי אגאל׃
- ויאמר בעז ביום־קנותך השדה מיד נעמי ומאת רות המואביה אשת־המת להקים שם־המת על־נחלתו׃
- ויאמר הגאל לא אוכל ־לי פן־אשחית את־נחלתי גאל־לך אתה את־גאלתי כי לא־אוכל לגאל׃
- וזאת לפנים בישראל על־הגאולה ועל־התמורה לקים כל־דבר שלף איש נעלו ונתן לרעהו וזאת התעודה בישראל׃
- ויאמר הגאל לבעז קנה־לך וישלף נעלו׃
- ויאמר בעז לזקנים וכל־העם עדים אתם היום כי קניתי את־כל־אשר לאלימלך ואת כל־אשר לכליון ומחלון מיד נעמי׃
- וגם את־רות המאביה אשת מחלון קניתי לי לאשה להקים שם־המת על־נחלתו ולא־יכרת שם־המת מעם אחיו ומשער מקומו עדים אתם היום׃
- ויאמרו כל־העם אשר־בשער והזקנים עדים יתן יהוה את־האשה הבאה אל־ביתך כרחל וכלאה אשר בנו שתיהם את־בית ישראל ועשה־חיל באפרתה וקרא־שם בבית לחם׃
- ויהי ביתך כבית פרץ אשר־ילדה תמר ליהודה מן־הזרע אשר יתן יהוה לך מן־הנערה הזאת׃
- ויקח בעז את־רות ותהי־לו לאשה ויבא אליה ויתן יהוה לה הריון ותלד בן׃
- ותאמרנה הנשים אל־נעמי ברוך יהוה אשר לא השבית לך גאל היום ויקרא שמו בישראל׃
- והיה לך למשיב נפש ולכלכל את־שיבתך כי כלתך אשר־אהבתך ילדתו אשר־היא טובה לך משבעה בנים׃
- ותקח נעמי את־הילד ותשתהו בחיקה ותהי־לו לאמנת׃
- ותקראנה לו השכנות שם לאמר ילד־בן לנעמי ותקראנה שמו עובד הוא אבי־ישי אבי דוד׃ ף
- ואלה תולדות פרץ פרץ הוליד את־חצרון׃
- וחצרון הוליד את־רם ורם הוליד את־עמינדב׃
- ועמינדב הוליד את־נחשון ונחשון הוליד את־שלמה׃
- ושלמון הוליד את־בעז ובעז הוליד את־עובד׃
- ועבד הוליד את־ישי וישי הוליד את־דוד׃
|Ruth 4 Text (Latin)
- Ascendit ergo Booz ad portam, et sedit ibi. Cumque vidisset propinquum præterire, de quo prius sermo habitus est, dixit ad eum : Declina paulisper, et sede hic : vocans eum nomine suo. Qui divertit, et sedit.
- Tollens autem Booz decem viros de senioribus civitatis, dixit ad eos : Sedete hic.
- Quibus sedentibus, locutus est ad propinquum : Partem agri fratris nostri Elimelech vendet Noëmi, quæ reversa est de regione Moabitide :
- quod audire te volui, et tibi dicere coram cunctis sedentibus, et majoribus natu de populo meo. Si vis possidere jure propinquitatis, eme, et posside : sin autem displicet tibi, hoc ipsum indica mihi, ut sciam quid facere debeam : nullus enim est propinquus, excepto te, qui prior es : et me, qui secundus sum. At ille respondit : Ego agrum emam.
- Cui dixit Booz : Quando emeris agrum de manu mulieris, Ruth quoque Moabitidem, quæ uxor defuncti fuit, debes accipere : ut suscites nomen propinqui tui in hæreditate sua.
- Qui respondit : Cedo juri propinquitatis : neque enim posteritatem familiæ meæ delere debeo : tu meo utere privilegio, quo me libenter carere profiteor.
- Hic autem erat mos antiquitus in Israël inter propinquos, ut siquando alter alteri suo juri cedebat, ut esset firma concessio, solvebat homo calceamentum suum, et dabat proximo suo : hoc erat testmonium cessionis in Israël.
- Dixit ergo propinquo suo Booz : Tolle calceamentum tuum. Quod statim solvit de pede suo.
- At ille majoribus natu, et universo populo : Testes vos, inquit, estis hodie, quod possederim omnis quæ fuerunt Elimelech, et Chelion, et Mahalon, tradente Noëmi :
- et Ruth Moabitidem, uxorem Mahalon, in conjugium sumpserim, ut suscitem nomen defuncti in hæreditate sua, ne vocabulum ejus de familia sua ac fratribus et populo deleatur. Vos, inquam, hujus rei testes estis.
- Respondit omnis populus, qui erat in porta, et majores natu : Nos testes sumus : faciat Dominus hanc mulierem, quæ ingreditur domum tuam, sicut Rachel et Liam, quæ ædificaverunt domum Israël : ut sit exemplum virtutis in Ephratha, et habeat celebre nomen in Bethlehem :
- fiatque domus tua, sicut domus Phares, quem Thamar peperit Judæ, de semine quod tibi dederit Dominus ex hac puella.
- Tulit itaque Booz Ruth, et accepit uxorem : ingressusque est ad eam, et dedit illi Dominus ut conciperet, et pareret filium.
- Dixeruntque mulieres ad Noëmi : Benedictus Dominus, qui non est passus ut deficeret successor familiæ tuæ, et vocaretur nomen ejus in Israël.
- Et habeas qui consoletur animam tuam, et enutriat senectutem : de nuru enim tua natus est, quæ te diligit : et multo tibi melior est, quam si septem haberes filios.
- Susceptumque Noëmi puerum posuit in sinu suo, et nutricis ac gerulæ fungebatur officio.
- Vicinæ autem mulieris congratulantes ei, et dicentes : Natus est filius Noëmi : vocaverunt nomen ejus Obed : hic est pater Isai, patris David.
- Hæ sunt generationes Phares : Phares genuit Esron,
- Esron genuit Aram, Aram genuit Aminadab,
- Aminadab genuit Nahasson, Nahasson genuit Salmon,
- Salmon genuit Booz, Booz genuit Obed,
- Obed genuit Isai, Isai genuit David.
|Ruth 4 Text (KJV)
- Then went Boaz up to the gate, and sat him down there: and, behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake came by; unto whom he said, Ho, such a one! turn aside, sit down here. And he turned aside, and sat down.
- And he took ten men of the elders of the city, and said, Sit ye down here. And they sat down.
- And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's:
- And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me, that I may know: for there is none to redeem it beside thee; and I am after thee. And he said, I will redeem it.
- Then said Boaz, What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance.
- And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.
- Now this was the manner in former time in Israel concerning redeeming and concerning changing, for to confirm all things; a man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his neighbour: and this was a testimony in Israel.
- Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, Buy it for thee. So he drew off his shoe.
- And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's, of the hand of Naomi.
- Moreover Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance, that the name of the dead be not cut off from among his brethren, and from the gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day.
- And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. The LORD make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:
- And let thy house be like the house of Pharez, whom Tamar bare unto Judah, of the seed which the LORD shall give thee of this young woman.
- So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife: and when he went in unto her, the LORD gave her conception, and she bare a son.
- And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the LORD, which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.
- And he shall be unto thee a restorer of thy life, and a nourisher of thine old age: for thy daughter in law, which loveth thee, which is better to thee than seven sons, hath born him.
- And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it.
- And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.
- Now these are the generations of Pharez: Pharez begat Hezron,
- And Hezron begat Ram, and Ram begat Amminadab,
- And Amminadab begat Nahshon, and Nahshon begat Salmon,
- And Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz begat Obed,
- And Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse begat David.