|1 Samuel 22 - Versions
|1 Samuel 22 Text (WEB)
- David therefore departed there, and escaped to the cave of Adullam. When his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him.
- Everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was discontented, gathered themselves to him; and he became captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men.
- David went there to Mizpeh of Moab, and he said to the king of Moab, "Please let my father and my mother come out with you, until I know what God will do for me."
- He brought them before the king of Moab; and they lived with him all the while that David was in the stronghold.
- The prophet Gad said to David, "Don't stay in the stronghold. Depart, and go into the land of Judah." Then David departed, and came into the forest of Hereth.
- Saul heard that David was discovered, and the men who were with him. Now Saul was sitting in Gibeah, under the tamarisk tree in Ramah, with his spear in his hand, and all his servants were standing about him.
- Saul said to his servants who stood about him, "Hear now, you Benjamites! Will the son of Jesse give everyone of you fields and vineyards, will he make you all captains of thousands and captains of hundreds,
- that all of you have conspired against me, and there is none who discloses to me when my son makes a treaty with the son of Jesse, and there is none of you who is sorry for me, or discloses to me that my son has stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as at this day?"
- Then Doeg the Edomite, who stood by the servants of Saul, answered and said, "I saw the son of Jesse coming to Nob, to Ahimelech the son of Ahitub.
- He inquired of Yahweh for him, gave him food, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine."
- Then the king sent to call Ahimelech the priest, the son of Ahitub, and all his father's house, the priests who were in Nob: and they came all of them to the king.
- Saul said, "Hear now, you son of Ahitub." He answered, "Here I am, my lord."
- Saul said to him, "Why have you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse, in that you have given him bread, and a sword, and have inquired of God for him, that he should rise against me, to lie in wait, as at this day?"
- Then Ahimelech answered the king, and said, "Who among all your servants is so faithful as David, who is the king's son-in-law, and is taken into your council, and is honorable in your house?
- Have I today begun to inquire of God for him? Be it far from me! Don't let the king impute anything to his servant, nor to all the house of my father; for your servant knows nothing of all this, less or more."
- The king said, "You shall surely die, Ahimelech, you, and all your father's house."
- The king said to the guard who stood about him, "Turn, and kill the priests of Yahweh; because their hand also is with David, and because they knew that he fled, and didn't disclose it to me." But the servants of the king wouldn't put forth their hand to fall on the priests of Yahweh.
- The king said to Doeg, "Turn and attack the priests!" Doeg the Edomite turned, and he attacked the priests, and he killed on that day eighty-five people who wore a linen ephod.
- He struck Nob, the city of the priests, with the edge of the sword, both men and women, children and nursing babies, and cattle and donkeys and sheep, with the edge of the sword.
- One of the sons of Ahimelech, the son of Ahitub, named Abiathar, escaped, and fled after David.
- Abiathar told David that Saul had slain Yahweh's priests.
- David said to Abiathar, "I knew on that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul. I am responsible for the death of all the persons of your father's house.
- Stay with me, don't be afraid; for he who seeks my life seeks your life. For with me you shall be in safeguard."
|1 Samuel 22 Text (Hebrew)
- וילך דוד משם וימלט אל־מערת עדלם וישמעו אחיו וכל־בית אביו וירדו אליו שמה׃
- ויתקבצו אליו כל־איש מצוק וכל־איש אשר־לו נשא וכל־איש מר־נפש ויהי עליהם לשר ויהיו עמו כארבע מאות איש׃
- וילך דוד משם מצפה מואב ויאמר אל־מלך מואב יצא־נא אבי ואמי אתכם עד אשר אדע מה־יעשה־לי אלהים׃
- וינחם את־פני מלך מואב וישבו עמו כל־ימי היות־דוד במצודה׃ ס
- ויאמר גד הנביא אל־דוד לא תשב במצודה לך ובאת־לך ארץ יהודה וילך דוד ויבא יער חרת׃ ס
- וישמע שאול כי נודע דוד ואנשים אשר אתו ושאול יושב בגבעה תחת־האשל ברמה וחניתו בידו וכל־עבדיו נצבים עליו׃
- ויאמר שאול לעבדיו הנצבים עליו שמעו־נא בני ימיני גם־לכלכם יתן בן־ישי שדות וכרמים לכלכם ישים שרי אלפים ושרי מאות׃
- כי קשרתם כלכם עלי ואין־גלה את־אזני בכרת־בני עם־בן־ישי ואין־חלה םכם עלי וגלה את־אזני כי הקים בני את־עבדי עלי לארב כיום הזה׃ ס
- ויען דאג האדמי והוא נצב על־עבדי־שאול ויאמר ראיתי את־בן־ישי בא נבה אל־אחימלך בן־אחטוב׃
- וישאל־לו ביהוה וצידה נתן לו ואת חרב גלית הפלשתי נתן לו׃
- וישלח המלך לקרא את־אחימלך בן־אחיטוב הכהן ואת כל־בית אביו הכהנים אשר בנב ויבאו כלם אל־המלך׃ ס
- ויאמר שאול שמע־נא בן־אחיטוב ויאמר הנני אדני׃
- ויאמר שאול למה קשרתם עלי אתה ובן־ישי בתתך לו לחם וחרב ושאול לו באלהים לקום אלי לארב כיום הזה׃ ס
- ויען אחימלך את־המלך ויאמר ומי בכל־עבדיך כדוד נאמן וחתן המלך וסר אל־משמעתך ונכבד בביתך׃
- היום החלתי ־לו באלהים חלילה לי אל־ישם המלך בעבדו דבר בכל־בית אבי כי לא־ידע עבדך בכל־זאת דבר קטן או גדול׃
- ויאמר המלך מות תמות אחימלך אתה וכל־בית אביך׃
- ויאמר המלך לרצים הנצבים עליו סבו והמיתו כהני יהוה כי גם־ידם עם־דוד וכי ידעו כי־ברח הוא ולא גלו את־ ולא־אבו עבדי המלך לשלח את־ידם לפגע בכהני יהוה׃ ס
- ויאמר המלך סב אתה ופגע בכהנים ויסב האדמי ויפגע־הוא בכהנים וימת ביום ההוא שמנים וחמשה איש נשא אפוד בד׃
- ואת נב עיר־הכהנים הכה לפי־חרב מאיש ועד־אשה מעולל ועד־יונק ושור וחמור ושה לפי־חרב׃
- וימלט בן־אחד לאחימלך בן־אחטוב ושמו אביתר ויברח אחרי דוד׃
- ויגד אביתר לדוד כי הרג שאול את כהני יהוה׃
- ויאמר דוד לאביתר ידעתי ביום ההוא כי־שם האדמי כי־הגד יגיד לשאול אנכי סבתי בכל־נפש בית אביך׃
- שבה אתי אל־תירא כי אשר־יבקש את־נפשי יבקש את־נפשך כי־משמרת אתה עמדי׃
|1 Samuel 22 Text (Latin)
- Abiit ergo David inde, et fugit in speluncam Odollam. Quod cum audissent fratres ejus, et omnis domus patris ejus, descenderunt ad eum illuc.
- Et convenerunt ad eum omnes, qui erant in angustia constituti, et oppressi ære alieno, et amaro animo : et factus est eorum princeps, fueruntque cum eo quasi quadringenti viri.
- Et profectus est David inde in Maspha, quæ est Moab : et dixit ad regem Moab : Maneat, oro, pater meus et mater mea vobiscum, donec sciam quid faciat mihi Deus.
- Et reliquit eos ante faciem regis Moab : manseruntque apud eum cunctis diebus, quibus David fuit in præsidio.
- Dixitque Gad propheta ad David : Noli manere in præsidio : proficiscere, et vade in terram Juda. Et profectus est David, et venit in saltum Haret.
- Et audivit Saul quod apparuisset David, et viri qui erant cum eo. Saul autem cum maneret in Gabaa, et esset in nemore, quod est in Rama, hastam manu tenens, cunctique servi ejus circumstarent eum,
- ait ad servos suos qui assistebant ei : Audite nunc filii Jemini : numquid omnibus vobis dabit filius Isai agros, et vineas, et universos vos faciet tribunos, et centuriones ?
- quoniam conjurastis omnes adversum me, et non est qui mihi renuntiet, maxime cum et filius meus fœdus inierit cum filio Isai. Non est qui vicem meam doleat ex vobis, nec qui annuntiet mihi : eo quod suscitaverit filius meus servum meum adversum me, insidiantem mihi usque hodie.
- Respondens autem Doëg Idumæus, qui assistebat, et erat primus inter servos Saul : Vidi, inquit, filium Isai in Nobe apud Achimelech filium Achitob sacerdotem.
- Qui consuluit pro eo Dominum, et cibaria dedit ei : sed et gladium Goliath Philisthæi dedit illi.
- Misit ergo rex ad accersendum Achimelech sacerdotem filium Achitob, et omnem domum patris ejus, sacerdotum, qui erant in Nobe, qui universi venerunt ad regem.
- Et ait Saul ad Achimelech : Audi fili Achitob. Qui respondit : Præsto sum, domine.
- Dixitque ad eum Saul : Quare conjurastis adversum me, tu et filius Isai, et dedisti ei panes et gladium, et consuluisti pro eo Deum, ut consurgeret adversum me, insidiator usque hodie permanens ?
- Respondensque Achimelech regi, ait : Et quis in omnibus servis tuis, sicut David fidelis, et gener regis, et pergens ad imperium tuum, et gloriosus in domo tua ?
- Num hodie cœpi pro eo consulere Deum ? absit hoc a me : ne suspicetur rex adversus servum suum rem hujuscemodi, in universa domo patris mei : non enim scivit servus tuus quidquam super hoc negotio, vel modicum vel grande.
- Dixitque rex : Morte morieris Achimelech, tu et omnis domus patris tui.
- Et ait rex emissariis, qui circumstabant eum : Convertimini, et interficite sacerdotes Domini : nam manus eorum cum David est : scientes quod fugisset, et non indicaverunt mihi. Noluerunt autem servi regis extendere manus suas in sacerdotes Domini.
- Et ait rex ad Doëg : Convertere tu, et irrue in sacerdotes. Conversusque Doëg Idumæus, irruit in sacerdotes, et trucidavit in die illa octoginta quinque viros vestitos ephod lineo.
- Nobe autem civitatem sacerdotum percussit in ore gladii, viros et mulieres, et parvulos, et lactentes, bovemque, et asinum, et ovem in ore gladii.
- Evadens autem unus filius Achimelech, filii Achitob, cujus nomen erat Abiathar, fugit ad David,
- et annuntiavit ei quod occidisset Saul sacerdotes Domini.
- Et ait David ad Abiathar : Sciebam in die illa, quod cum ibi esset Doëg Idumæus, procul dubio annuntiaret Sauli : ego sum reus omnium animarum patris tui.
- Mane mecum, ne timeas : si quis quæsierit animam meam, quæret et animam tuam, mecumque servaberis.
|1 Samuel 22 Text (KJV)
- David therefore departed thence, and escaped to the cave Adullam: and when his brethren and all his father's house heard it, they went down thither to him.
- And every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented, gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men.
- And David went thence to Mizpeh of Moab: and he said unto the king of Moab, Let my father and my mother, I pray thee, come forth, and be with you, till I know what God will do for me.
- And he brought them before the king of Moab: and they dwelt with him all the while that David was in the hold.
- And the prophet Gad said unto David, Abide not in the hold; depart, and get thee into the land of Judah. Then David departed, and came into the forest of Hareth.
- When Saul heard that David was discovered, and the men that were with him, (now Saul abode in Gibeah under a tree in Ramah, having his spear in his hand, and all his servants were standing about him;)
- Then Saul said unto his servants that stood about him, Hear now, ye Benjamites; will the son of Jesse give every one of you fields and vineyards, and make you all captains of thousands, and captains of hundreds;
- That all of you have conspired against me, and there is none that sheweth me that my son hath made a league with the son of Jesse, and there is none of you that is sorry for me, or sheweth unto me that my son hath stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as at this day?
- Then answered Doeg the Edomite, which was set over the servants of Saul, and said, I saw the son of Jesse coming to Nob, to Ahimelech the son of Ahitub.
- And he inquired of the LORD for him, and gave him victuals, and gave him the sword of Goliath the Philistine.
- Then the king sent to call Ahimelech the priest, the son of Ahitub, and all his father's house, the priests that were in Nob: and they came all of them to the king.
- And Saul said, Hear now, thou son of Ahitub. And he answered, Here I am, my lord.
- And Saul said unto him, Why have ye conspired against me, thou and the son of Jesse, in that thou hast given him bread, and a sword, and hast inquired of God for him, that he should rise against me, to lie in wait, as at this day?
- Then Ahimelech answered the king, and said, And who is so faithful among all thy servants as David, which is the king's son in law, and goeth at thy bidding, and is honourable in thine house?
- Did I then begin to inquire of God for him? be it far from me: let not the king impute any thing un to his servant, nor to all the house of my father: for thy servant knew nothing of all this, less or more.
- And the king said, Thou shalt surely die, Ahimelech, thou, and all thy father's house.
- And the king said unto the footmen that stood about him, Turn, and slay the priests of the LORD; because their hand also is with David, and because they knew when he fled, and did not shew it to me. But the servants of the king would not put forth their hand to fall upon the priests of the LORD.
- And the king said to Doeg, Turn thou, and fall upon the priests. And Doeg the Edomite turned, and he fell upon the priests, and slew on that day fourscore and five persons that did wear a linen ephod.
- And Nob, the city of the priests, smote he with the edge of the sword, both men and women, children and sucklings, and oxen, and asses, and sheep, with the edge of the sword.
- And one of the sons of Ahimelech the son of Ahitub, named Abiathar, escaped, and fled after David.
- And Abiathar shewed David that Saul had slain the LORD's priests.
- And David said unto Abiathar, I knew it that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul: I have occasioned the death of all the persons of thy father's house.
- Abide thou with me, fear not: for he that seeketh my life seeketh thy life: but with me thou shalt be in safeguard.