|1 Samuel 28 - Versions
|1 Samuel 28 Text (WEB)
- It happened in those days, that the Philistines gathered their armies together for warfare, to fight with Israel. Achish said to David, "Know assuredly that you shall go out with me in the army, you and your men."
- David said to Achish, "Therefore you shall know what your servant will do." Achish said to David, "Therefore will I make you my bodyguard for ever."
- Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. Saul had put away those who had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.
- The Philistines gathered themselves together, and came and encamped in Shunem: and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they encamped in Gilboa.
- When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly.
- When Saul inquired of Yahweh, Yahweh didn't answer him, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.
- Then Saul said to his servants, "Seek me a woman who has a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her." His servants said to him, "Behold, there is a woman who has a familiar spirit at Endor."
- Saul disguised himself, and put on other clothing, and went, he and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, "Please divine to me by the familiar spirit, and bring me up whoever I shall name to you."
- The woman said to him, "Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off those who have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?"
- Saul swore to her by Yahweh, saying, "As Yahweh lives, no punishment shall happen to you for this thing."
- Then the woman said, "Whom shall I bring up to you?" He said, "Bring Samuel up for me."
- When the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice; and the woman spoke to Saul, saying, "Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!"
- The king said to her, "Don't be afraid. For what do you see?" The woman said to Saul, "I see a god coming up out of the earth."
- He said to her, "What does he look like?" She said, "An old man comes up. He is covered with a robe." Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground, and did obeisance.
- Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up?" Saul answered, "I am very distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me, and answers me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I shall do."
- Samuel said, "Why then do you ask of me, since Yahweh has departed from you and has become your adversary?
- Yahweh has done to you as he spoke by me. Yahweh has torn the kingdom out of your hand, and given it to your neighbor, even to David.
- Because you didn't obey the voice of Yahweh, and didn't execute his fierce wrath on Amalek, therefore Yahweh has done this thing to you this day.
- Moreover Yahweh will deliver Israel also with you into the hand of the Philistines; and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. Yahweh will deliver the army of Israel also into the hand of the Philistines."
- Then Saul fell immediately his full length on the earth, and was terrified, because of the words of Samuel. There was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.
- The woman came to Saul, and saw that he was very troubled, and said to him, "Behold, your handmaid has listened to your voice, and I have put my life in my hand, and have listened to your words which you spoke to me.
- Now therefore, please listen also to the voice of your handmaid, and let me set a morsel of bread before you; and eat, that you may have strength, when you go on your way."
- But he refused, and said, I will not eat. But his servants, together with the woman, constrained him; and he listened to their voice. So he arose from the earth, and sat on the bed.
- The woman had a fattened calf in the house. She hurried and killed it; and she took flour, and kneaded it, and baked unleavened bread of it.
- She brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they ate. Then they rose up, and went away that night.
|1 Samuel 28 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בימים ההם ויקבצו פלשתים את־מחניהם לצבא להלחם בישראל ויאמר אכיש אל־דוד ידע תדע כי אתי תצא במחנה אתה ואנשיך׃
- ויאמר דוד אל־אכיש לכן אתה תדע את אשר־יעשה עבדך ויאמר אכיש אל־דוד לכן שמר לראשי אשימך כל־הימים׃ ף
- ושמואל מת ויספדו־לו כל־ישראל ויקברהו ברמה ובעירו ושאול הסיר האבות ואת־הידענים מהארץ׃
- ויקבצו פלשתים ויבאו ויחנו בשונם ויקבץ שאול את־כל־ישראל ויחנו בגלבע׃
- וירא שאול את־מחנה פלשתים וירא ויחרד לבו מאד׃
- וישאל שאול ביהוה ולא ענהו יהוה גם בחלמות גם באורים גם בנביאם׃
- ויאמר שאול לעבדיו בקשו־לי אשת בעלת־אוב ואלכה אליה ואדרשה־בה ויאמרו עבדיו אליו הנה אשת בעלת־אוב בעין דור׃
- ויתחפש שאול וילבש בגדים אחרים וילך הוא ושני אנשים עמו ויבאו אל־האשה לילה ויאמר ־נא לי באוב והעלי לי את אשר־אמר אליך׃
- ותאמר האשה אליו הנה אתה ידעת את אשר־עשה שאול אשר הכרית את־האבות ואת־הידעני מן־הארץ ולמה אתה מתנקש בנפשי להמיתני׃
- וישבע לה שאול ביהוה לאמר חי־יהוה אם־יקרך עון בדבר הזה׃
- ותאמר האשה את־מי אעלה־לך ויאמר את־שמואל העלי־לי׃
- ותרא האשה את־שמואל ותזעק בקול גדול ותאמר האשה אל־שאול לאמר למה רמיתני ואתה שאול׃
- ויאמר לה המלך אל־תיראי כי מה ראית ותאמר האשה אל־שאול אלהים ראיתי עלים מן־הארץ׃
- ויאמר לה מה־תארו ותאמר איש זקן עלה והוא עטה מעיל וידע שאול כי־שמואל הוא ויקד אפים ארצה וישתחו׃ ס
- ויאמר שמואל אל־שאול למה הרגזתני להעלות אתי ויאמר שאול צר־לי מאד ופלשתים נלחמים בי ואלהים סר מעלי ולא־ענני עוד גם ביד־הנביאם גם־בחלמות ואקראה לך להודיעני מה אעשה׃ ס
- ויאמר שמואל ולמה תשאלני ויהוה סר מעליך ויהי ערך׃
- ויעש יהוה לו כאשר דבר בידי ויקרע יהוה את־הממלכה מידך ויתנה לרעך לדוד׃
- כאשר לא־שמעת בקול יהוה ולא־עשית חרון־אפו בעמלק על־כן הדבר הזה עשה־לך יהוה היום הזה׃
- ויתן יהוה גם את־ישראל עמך ביד־פלשתים ומחר אתה ובניך עמי גם את־מחנה ישראל יתן יהוה ביד־פלשתים׃
- וימהר שאול ויפל מלא־קומתו ארצה וירא מאד מדברי שמואל גם־כח לא־היה בו כי לא אכל לחם כל־היום וכל־הלילה׃
- ותבוא האשה אל־שאול ותרא כי־נבהל מאד ותאמר אליו הנה שמעה שפחתך בקולך ואשים נפשי בכפי ואשמע את־דבריך אשר דברת אלי׃
- ועתה שמע־נא גם־אתה בקול שפחתך ואשמה לפניך פת־לחם ואכול ויהי בך כח כי תלך בדרך׃
- וימאן ויאמר לא אכל ויפרצו־בו עבדיו וגם־האשה וישמע לקלם ויקם מהארץ וישב אל־המטה׃
- ולאשה עגל־מרבק בבית ותמהר ותזבחהו ותקח־קמח ותלש ותפהו מצות׃
- ותגש לפני־שאול ולפני עבדיו ויאכלו ויקמו וילכו בלילה ההוא׃ ף
|1 Samuel 28 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem in diebus illis, congregaverunt Philisthiim agmina sua, ut præpararentur ad bellum contra Israël : dixitque Achis ad David : Sciens nunc scito, quoniam mecum egredieris in castris tu, et viri tui.
- Dixitque David ad Achis : Nunc scies quæ facturus est servus tuus. Et ait Achis ad David : Et ego custodem capitis mei ponam te cunctis diebus.
- Samuel autem mortuus est, planxitque eum omnis Israël, et sepelierunt eum in Ramatha urbe sua. Et Saul abstulit magos et hariolos de terra.
- Congregatique sunt Philisthiim, et venerunt, et castrametati sunt in Sunam : congregavit autem et Saul universum Israël, et venit in Gelboë.
- Et vidit Saul castra Philisthiim, et timuit, et expavit cor ejus nimis.
- Consuluitque Dominum, et non respondit ei neque per somnia, neque per sacerdotes, neque per prophetas.
- Dixitque Saul servis suis : Quærite mihi mulierem habentem pythonem, et vadam ad eam, et sciscitabor per illam. Et dixerunt servi ejus ad eum : Est mulier pythonem habens in Endor.
- Mutavit ergo habitum suum, vestitusque est aliis vestimentis, et abiit ipse, et duo viri cum eo, veneruntque ad mulierem nocte, et ait illi : Divina mihi in pythone, et suscita mihi quem dixero tibi.
- Et ait mulier ad eum : Ecce, tu nosti quanta fecerit Saul, et quomodo eraserit magos et hariolos de terra : quare ergo insidiaris animæ meæ, ut occidar ?
- Et juravit ei Saul in Domino, dicens : Vivit Dominus, quia non eveniet tibi quidquam mali propter hanc rem.
- Dixitque ei mulier : Quem suscitabo tibi ? Qui ait : Samuelem mihi suscita.
- Cum autem vidisset mulier Samuelem, exclamavit voce magna, et dixit ad Saul : Quare imposuisti mihi ? Tu es enim Saul.
- Dixitque ei rex : Noli timere : quid vidisti ? Et ait mulier ad Saul : Deos vidi ascendentes de terra.
- Dixitque ei : Qualis est forma ejus ? Quæ ait : Vir senex ascendit, et ipse amictus est pallio. Et intellexit Saul quod Samuel esset, et inclinavit se super faciem suam in terra, et adoravit.
- Dixit autem Samuel ad Saul : Quare inquietasti me ut suscitarer ? Et ait Saul : Coarctor nimis : siquidem Philisthiim pugnant adversum me, et Deus recessit a me, et exaudire me noluit neque in manu prophetarum, neque per somnia : vocavi ergo te, ut ostenderes mihi quid faciam.
- Et ait Samuel : Quid interrogas me, cum Dominus recesserit a te, et transierit ad æmulum tuum ?
- Faciet enim tibi Dominus sicut locutus est in manu mea, et scindet regnum tuum de manu tua et dabit illud proximo tuo David :
- quia non obedisti voci Domini, neque fecisti iram furoris ejus in Amalec : idcirco quod pateris, fecit tibi Dominus hodie.
- Et dabit Dominus etiam Israël tecum in manus Philisthiim : cras autem tu et filii tui mecum eritis : sed et castra Israël tradet Dominus in manus Philisthiim.
- Statimque Saul cecidit porrectus in terram : extimuerat enim verba Samuelis, et robur non erat in eo, quia non comederat panem tota die illa.
- Ingressa est itaque mulier illa ad Saul (conturbatus enim erat valde), dixitque ad eum : Ecce obedivit ancilla tua voci tuæ, et posui animam meam in manu mea : et audivi sermones tuos, quos locutus es ad me.
- Nunc igitur audi et tu vocem ancillæ tuæ, et ponam coram te buccellam panis, ut comedens convalescas, et possis iter agere.
- Qui renuit, et ait : Non comedam. Coëgerunt autem eum servi sui et mulier, et tandem audita voce eorum surrexit de terra, et sedit super lectum.
- Mulier autem illa habebat vitulum pascualem in domo, et festinavit, et occidit eum : tollensque farinam, miscuit eam, et coxit azyma,
- et posuit ante Saul et ante servos ejus. Qui cum comedissent, surrexerunt, et ambulaverunt per totam noctem illam.
|1 Samuel 28 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass in those days, that the Philistines gathered their armies together for warfare, to fight with Israel. And Achish said unto David, Know thou assuredly, that thou shalt go out with me to battle, thou and thy men.
- And David said to Achish, Surely thou shalt know what thy servant can do. And Achish said to David, Therefore will I make thee keeper of mine head for ever.
- Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.
- And the Philistines gathered themselves together, and came and pitched in Shunem: and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they pitched in Gilboa.
- And when Saul saw the host of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled.
- And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams nor by Urim, nor by prophets.
- Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.
- And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.
- And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?
- And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.
- Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.
- And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.
- And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
- And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.
- And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.
- Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?
- And the LORD hath done to him, as he spake by me: for the LORD hath rent the kingdom out of thine hand, and given it to thy neighbour, even to David:
- Because thou obeyedst not the voice of the LORD, nor executedst his fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore hath the LORD done this thing unto thee this day.
- Moreover the LORD will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the LORD also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.
- Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel: and there was no strength in him; for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor all the night.
- And the woman came unto Saul, and saw that he was sore troubled, and said unto him, Behold, thine handmaid hath obeyed thy voice, and I have put my life in my hand, and have hearkened unto thy words which thou spakest unto me.
- Now therefore, I pray thee, hearken thou also unto the voice of thine handmaid, and let me set a morsel of bread before thee; and eat, that thou mayest have strength, when thou goest on thy way.
- But he refused, and said, I will not eat. But his servants, together with the woman, compelled him; and he hearkened unto their voice. So he arose from the earth, and sat upon the bed.
- And the woman had a fat calf in the house; and she hasted, and killed it, and took flour, and kneaded it, and did bake unleavened bread thereof:
- And she brought it before Saul, and before his servants; and they did eat. Then they rose up, and went away that night.