|Esther 8 - Versions
|Esther 8 Text (WEB)
- On that day, King Ahasuerus gave the house of Haman, the Jews' enemy, to Esther the queen. Mordecai came before the king; for Esther had told what he was to her.
- The king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it to Mordecai. Esther set Mordecai over the house of Haman.
- Esther spoke yet again before the king, and fell down at his feet, and begged him with tears to put away the mischief of Haman the Agagite, and his device that he had devised against the Jews.
- Then the king held out to Esther the golden scepter. So Esther arose, and stood before the king.
- She said, "If it pleases the king, and if I have found favor in his sight, and the thing seem right to the king, and I am pleasing in his eyes, let it be written to reverse the letters devised by Haman, the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, which he wrote to destroy the Jews who are in all the king's provinces.
- For how can I endure to see the evil that would come to my people? How can I endure to see the destruction of my relatives?"
- Then King Ahasuerus said to Esther the queen and to Mordecai the Jew, "See, I have given Esther the house of Haman, and him they have hanged on the gallows, because he laid his hand on the Jews.
- Write also to the Jews, as it pleases you, in the king's name, and seal it with the king's ring; for the writing which is written in the king's name, and sealed with the king's ring, may not be reversed by any man."
- Then the king's scribes were called at that time, in the third month Sivan, on the twenty-third day of the month; and it was written according to all that Mordecai commanded to the Jews, and to the satraps, and the governors and princes of the provinces which are from India to Ethiopia, one hundred twenty-seven provinces, to every province according to its writing, and to every people in their language, and to the Jews in their writing, and in their language.
- He wrote in the name of King Ahasuerus, and sealed it with the king's ring, and sent letters by courier on horseback, riding on royal horses that were bread from swift steeds.
- In those letters, the king granted the Jews who were in every city to gather themselves together, and to defend their life, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, their little ones and women, and to plunder their possessions,
- on one day in all the provinces of King Ahasuerus, on the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar.
- A copy of the letter, that the decree should be given out in every province, was published to all the peoples, that the Jews should be ready for that day to avenge themselves on their enemies.
- So the couriers who rode on royal horses went out, hastened and pressed on by the king's commandment. The decree was given out in the citadel of Susa.
- Mordecai went out of the presence of the king in royal clothing of blue and white, and with a great crown of gold, and with a robe of fine linen and purple; and the city of Susa shouted and was glad.
- The Jews had light, gladness, joy, and honor.
- In every province, and in every city, wherever the king's commandment and his decree came, the Jews had gladness, joy, a feast, and a good day. Many from among the peoples of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews was fallen on them.
|Esther 8 Text (Hebrew)
- ביום ההוא נתן המלך אחשורוש לאסתר המלכה את־בית המן צרר ומרדכי בא לפני המלך כי־הגידה אסתר מה הוא־לה׃
- ויסר המלך את־טבעתו אשר העביר מהמן ויתנה למרדכי ותשם אסתר את־מרדכי על־בית המן׃ ף
- ותוסף אסתר ותדבר לפני המלך ותפל לפני רגליו ותבך ותתחןן־לו להעביר את־רעת המן האגגי ואת מחשבתו אשר חשב על־היהודים׃
- ויושט המלך לאסתר את שרבט הזהב ותקם אסתר ותעמד לפני המלך׃
- ותאמר אם־על־המלך טוב ואם־מצאתי חן לפניו וכשר הדבר לפני המלך וטובה אני בעיניו יכתב להשיב את־הספרים מחשבת המן בן־המדתא האגגי אשר כתב לאבד את־היהודים אשר בכל־מדינות המלך׃
- כי איככה אוכל וראיתי ברעה אשר־ימצא את־עמי ואיככה אוכל וראיתי באבדן מולדתי׃ ס
- ויאמר המלך אחשורש לאסתר המלכה ולמרדכי היהודי הנה בית־המן נתתי לאסתר ואתו תלו על־העץ על אשר־שלח ידו ׃
- ואתם כתבו על־היהודים כטוב בעיניכם בשם המלך וחתמו בטבעת המלך כי־כתב אשר־נכתב בשם־המלך ונחתום בטבעת המלך אין להשיב׃
- ויקראו ספרי־המלך בעת־ההיא בחדש השלישי הוא־חדש סיון בשלושה ועשרים בו ויכתב ככל־אשר־צוה מרדכי אל־היהודים ואל האחשדרפנים־והפחות ושרי המדינות אשר מהדו ועד־כוש שבע ועשרים ומאה מדינה מדינה ומדינה ככתבה ועם ועם כלשנו ואל־היהודים ככתבם וכלשונם׃
- ויכתב בשם המלך אחשורש ויחתם בטבעת המלך וישלח ספרים ביד הרצים בסוסים רכבי הרכש האחשתרנים בני הרמכים׃
- אשר נתן המלך ליהודים אשר בכל־עיר־ועיר להקהל ולעמד על־נפשם להשמיד ולהרג ולאבד את־כל־חיל עם ומדינה הצרים אתם טף ונשים ושללם לבוז׃
- ביום אחד בכל־מדינות המלך אחשורוש בשלושה עשר לחדש שנים־עשר הוא־חדש אדר׃
- פתשגן הכתב להנתן דת בכל־מדינה ומדינה גלוי לכל־העמים ולהיות ליום הזה להנקם מאיביהם׃
- הרצים רכבי הרכש האחשתרנים יצאו מבהלים ודחופים בדבר המלך והדת נתנה בשושן הבירה׃ ף
- ומרדכי יצא מלפני המלך בלבוש מלכות תכלת וחור ועטרת זהב גדולה ותכריך בוץ וארגמן והעיר שושן צהלה ושמחה׃
- ליהודים היתה אורה ושמחה וששן ויקר׃
- ובכל־מדינה ומדינה ובכל־עיר ועיר מקום אשר דבר־המלך ודתו מגיע שמחה וששון ליהודים משתה ויום טוב ורבים מעמי הארץ מתיהדים כי־נפל פחד־היהודים עליהם׃
|Esther 8 Text (Latin)
- Die illo dedit rex Assuerus Esther reginæ domum Aman adversarii Judæorum, et Mardochæus ingressus est ante faciem regis. Confessa est enim ei Esther quod esset patruus suus.
- Tulitque rex annulum, quem ab Aman recipi jusserat, et tradidit Mardochæo. Esther autem constituit Mardochæum super domum suam.
- Nec his contenta, procidit ad pedes regis, flevitque et locuta ad eum oravit ut malitiam Aman Agagitæ, et machinationes ejus pessimas, quas excogitaverat contra Judæos, juberet irritas fieri.
- At ille ex more sceptrum aureum protendit manu, quo signum clementiæ monstrabatur : illaque consurgens stetit ante eum,
- et ait : Si placet regi, et si inveni gratiam in oculis ejus, et deprecatio mea non ei videtur esse contraria, obsecro, ut novis epistolis, veteres Aman litteræ, insidiatoris et hostis Judæorum, quibus eos in cunctis regis provinciis perire præceperat, corrigantur.
- Quomodo enim potero sustinere necem et interfectionem populi mei ?
- Responditque rex Assuerus Esther reginæ, et Mardochæo Judæo : Domum Aman concessi Esther, et ipsum jussi affigi cruci, quia ausus est manum mittere in Judæos.
- Scribite ergo Judæis, sicut vobis placet, regis nomine, signantes litteras annulo meo. Hæc enim consuetudo erat, ut epistolis, quæ ex regis nomine mittebantur, et illius annulo signatæ erant, nemo auderet contradicere.
- Accitisque scribis et librariis regis (erat autem tempus tertii mensis, qui appellatur Siban) vigesima et tertia die illius scriptæ sunt epistolæ, ut Mardochæus voluerat, ad Judæos, et ad principes, procuratoresque et judices, qui centum viginti septem provinciis ab India usque ad Æthiopiam præsidebant : provinciæ atque provinciæ, populo et populo juxta linguas et litteras suas, et Judæis, prout legere poterant, et audire.
- Ipsæque epistolæ, quæ regis nomine mittebantur, annulo ipsius obsignatæ sunt, et missæ per veredarios : qui per omnes provincias discurrentes, veteres litteras novis nuntiis prævenirent.
- Quibus imperavit rex, ut convenirent Judæos per singulas civitates, et in unum præciperent congregari ut starent pro animabus suis, et omnes inimicos suos cum conjugibus ac liberis et universis domibus, interficerent atque delerent, et spolia eorum diriperent.
- Et constituta est per omnes provincias una ultionis dies, id est tertiadecima mensis duodecimi Adar.
- Summaque epistolæ hæc fuit, ut in omnibus terris ac populis, qui regis Assueri subjacebant imperio, notum fieret paratos esse Judæos ad capiendam vindictam de hostibus suis.
- Egressique sunt veredarii celeres nuntia perferentes, et edictum regis pependit in Susan.
- Mardochæus autem de palatio, et de conspectu regis egrediens, fulgebat vestibus regiis, hyacinthinis videlicet et æriis, coronam auream portans in capite, et amictus serico pallio atque purpureo. Omnisque civitas exultavit, atque lætata est.
- Judæis autem nova lux oriri visa est, gaudium, honor, et tripudium.
- Apud omnes populos, urbes, atque provincias, quocumque regis jussa veniebant, mira exultatio, epulæ atque convivia, et festus dies : in tantum ut plures alterius gentis et sectæ eorum religioni et cæremoniis jungerentur. Grandis enim cunctos judaici nominis terror invaserat.
|Esther 8 Text (KJV)
- On that day did the king Ahasuerus give the house of Haman the Jews' enemy unto Esther the queen. And Mordecai came before the king; for Esther had told what he was unto her.
- And the king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it unto Mordecai. And Esther set Mordecai over the house of Haman.
- And Esther spake yet again before the king, and fell down at his feet, and besought him with tears to put away the mischief of Haman the Agagite, and his device that he had devised against the Jews.
- Then the king held out the golden sceptre toward Esther. So Esther arose, and stood before the king,
- And said, If it please the king, and if I have found favour in his sight, and the thing seem right before the king, and I be pleasing in his eyes, let it be written to reverse the letters devised by Haman the son of Hammedatha the Agagite, which he wrote to destroy the Jews which are in all the king's provinces:
- For how can I endure to see the evil that shall come unto my people? or how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred?
- Then the king Ahasuerus said unto Esther the queen and to Mordecai the Jew, Behold, I have given Esther the house of Haman, and him they have hanged upon the gallows, because he laid his hand upon the Jews.
- Write ye also for the Jews, as it liketh you, in the king's name, and seal it with the king's ring: for the writing which is written in the king's name, and sealed with the king's ring, may no man reverse.
- Then were the king's scribes called at that time in the third month, that is, the month Sivan, on the three and twentieth day thereof; and it was written according to all that Mordecai commanded unto the Jews, and to the lieutenants, and the deputies and rulers of the provinces which are from India unto Ethiopia, an hundred twenty and seven provinces, unto every province according to the writing thereof, and unto every people after their language, and to the Jews according to their writing, and according to their language.
- And he wrote in the king Ahasuerus' name, and sealed it with the king's ring, and sent letters by posts on horseback, and riders on mules, camels, and young dromedaries:
- Wherein the king granted the Jews which were in every city to gather themselves together, and to stand for their life, to destroy, to slay, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, both little ones and women, and to take the spoil of them for a prey,
- Upon one day in all the provinces of king Ahasuerus, namely, upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar.
- The copy of the writing for a commandment to be given in every province was published unto all people, and that the Jews should be ready against that day to avenge themselves on their enemies.
- So the posts that rode upon mules and camels went out, being hastened and pressed on by the king's commandment. And the decree was given at Shushan the palace.
- And Mordecai went out from the presence of the king in royal apparel of blue and white, and with a great crown of gold, and with a garment of fine linen and purple: and the city of Shushan rejoiced and was glad.
- The Jews had light, and gladness, and joy, and honour.
- And in every province, and in every city, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness, a feast and a good day. And many of the people of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews fell upon them.