|Jeremiah 10 - Versions
|Jeremiah 10 Text (WEB)
- Hear the word which Yahweh speaks to you, house of Israel!
- Thus says Yahweh, "Don't learn the way of the nations, and don't be dismayed at the signs of the sky; for the nations are dismayed at them.
- For the customs of the peoples are vanity; for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman with the axe.
- They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it not move.
- They are like a palm tree, of turned work, and don't speak: they must be carried, because they can't go. Don't be afraid of them; for they can't do evil, neither is it in them to do good."
- There is none like you, Yahweh; you are great, and your name is great in might.
- Who should not fear you, King of the nations? For it appertains to you; because among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their royal estate, there is none like you.
- But they are together brutish and foolish: the instruction of idols! it is but a stock.
- There is silver beaten into plates, which is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the artificer and of the hands of the goldsmith; blue and purple for their clothing; they are all the work of skillful men.
- But Yahweh is the true God; he is the living God, and an everlasting King: at his wrath the earth trembles, and the nations are not able to withstand his indignation.
- You shall say this to them: The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, these shall perish from the earth, and from under the heavens.
- He has made the earth by his power, he has established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding has he stretched out the heavens:
- when he utters his voice, there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; he makes lightnings for the rain, and brings forth the wind out of his treasuries.
- Every man is become brutish [and is] without knowledge; every goldsmith is disappointed by his engraved image; for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them.
- They are vanity, a work of delusion: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
- The portion of Jacob is not like these; for he is the former of all things; and Israel is the tribe of his inheritance: Yahweh of Armies is his name.
- Gather up your wares out of the land, you who live under siege.
- For thus says Yahweh, Behold, I will sling out the inhabitants of the land at this time, and will distress them, that they may feel [it].
- Woe is me because of my hurt! my wound is grievous: but I said, Truly this is [my] grief, and I must bear it.
- My tent is destroyed, and all my cords are broken: my children are gone forth from me, and they are no more: there is none to spread my tent any more, and to set up my curtains.
- For the shepherds are become brutish, and have not inquired of Yahweh: therefore they have not prospered, and all their flocks are scattered.
- The voice of news, behold, it comes, and a great commotion out of the north country, to make the cities of Judah a desolation, a dwelling place of jackals.
- Yahweh, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
- Yahweh, correct me, but in measure: not in your anger, lest you bring me to nothing.
- Pour out your wrath on the nations that don't know you, and on the families that don't call on your name: for they have devoured Jacob, yes, they have devoured him and consumed him, and have laid waste his habitation.
|Jeremiah 10 Text (Hebrew)
- שמעו את־הדבר אשר דבר יהוה עליכם בית ישראל׃
- כה אמר יהוה אל־דרך הגוים אל־תלמדו ומאתות השמים אל־תחתו כי־יחתו הגוים מהמה׃
- כי־חקות העמים הבל הוא כי־עץ מיער כרתו מעשה ידי־חרש במעצד׃
- בכסף ובזהב ייפהו במסמרות ובמקבות יחזקום ולוא יפיק׃
- כתמר מקשה המה ולא ידברו נשוא ינשוא כי לא יצעדו אל־תיראו מהם כי־לא ירעו וגם־היטיב אין אותם׃ ס
- מאין כמוך יהוה גדול אתה וגדול שמך בגבורה׃
- מי לא יראך מלך הגוים כי לך יאתה כי בכל־חכמי הגוים ובכל־מלכותם מאין כמוך׃
- ובאחת יבערו ויכסלו מוסר הבלים עץ הוא׃
- כסף מרקע מתרשיש יובא וזהב מאופז מעשה חרש וידי צורף תכלת וארגמן לבושם מעשה חכמים כלם׃
- ויהוה אלהים אמת הוא־אלהים חיים ומלך עולם מקצפו תרעש הארץ ולא־יכלו גוים זעמו׃ ס
- כדנה תאמרון להום אלהיא די־שמיא וארקא לא עבדו יאבדו מארעא ומן־תחות שמיא אלה׃ ס
- עשה ארץ בכחו מכין תבל בחכמתו ובתבונתו נטה שמים׃
- לקול תתו המון מים בשמים ויעלה נשאים מקצה ברקים למטר עשה ויוצא רוח מאצרתיו׃
- נבער כל־אדם מדעת הביש כל־צורף מפסל כי שקר נסכו ולא־רוח בם׃
- הבל המה מעשה תעתעים בעת פקדתם יאבדו׃
- לא־כאלה חלק יעקב כי־יוצר הכל הוא וישראל שבט נחלתו יהוה צבאות שמו׃ ס
- אספי מארץ כנעתך במצור׃ ס
- כי־כה אמר יהוה הנני קולע את־יושבי הארץ בפעם הזאת והצרותי להם למען ימצאו׃ ס
- אוי לי על־שברי נחלה מכתי ואני אמרתי אך זה חלי ואשאנו׃
- אהלי שדד וכל־מיתרי נתקו בני יצאני ואינם אין־נטה עוד אהלי ומקים יריעותי׃
- כי נבערו הרעים ואת־יהוה לא דרשו על־כן לא השכילו וכל־מרעיתם נפוצה׃ ס
- קול שמועה הנה באה ורעש גדול מארץ צפון לשום את־ערי יהודה שממה מעון תנים׃ ס
- ידעתי יהוה כי לא לאדם דרכו לא־לאיש הלך והכין את־צעדו׃
- יסרני יהוה אך־במשפט אל־באפך פן־תמעטני׃
- שפך חמתך על־הגוים אשר לא־ידעוך ועל משפחות אשר בשמך לא קראו כי־אכלו את־יעקב ואכלהו ויכלהו ואת־נוהו השמו׃ ף
|Jeremiah 10 Text (Latin)
- Audite verbum quod locutus est Dominus super vos, domus Israël.
- Hæc dicit Dominus : Juxta vias gentium nolite discere, et a signis cæli nolite metuere quæ timent gentes,
- quia leges populorum vanæ sunt. Quia lignum de saltu præcidit opus manus artificis in ascia :
- argento et auro decoravit illud : clavis et malleis compegit, ut non dissolvatur :
- in similitudinem palmæ fabricata sunt, et non loquentur : portata tollentur, quia incedere non valent. Nolite ergo timere ea, quia nec male possunt facere nec bene.
- Non est similis tui, Domine : magnus es tu, et magnum nomen tuum in fortitudine.
- Quis non timebit te, o rex gentium ? Tuum est enim decus : inter cunctos sapientes gentium, et in universis regnis eorum, nullus est similis tui.
- Pariter insipientes et fatui probabuntur : doctrina vanitatis eorum lignum est.
- Argentum involutum de Tharsis affertur, et aurum de Ophaz : opus artificis et manus ærarii, hyacinthus et purpura indumentum eorum ; opus artificum universa hæc.
- Dominus autem Deus verus est, ipse Deus vivens, et rex sempiternus. Ab indignatione ejus commovebitur terra, et non sustinebunt gentes comminationem ejus.
- Sic ergo dicetis eis : Dii qui cælos et terram non fecerunt, pereant de terra et de his quæ sub cælo sunt !
- Qui facit terram in fortitudine sua, præparat orbem in sapientia sua, et prudentia sua extendit cælos :
- ad vocem suam dat multitudinem aquarum in cælo, et elevat nebulas ab extremitatibus terræ : fulgura in pluviam facit, et educit ventum de thesauris suis.
- Stultus factus est omnis homo a scientia : confusus est artifex omnis in sculptili, quoniam falsum est quod conflavit, et non est spiritus in eis.
- Vana sunt, et opus risu dignum : in tempore visitationis suæ peribunt.
- Non est his similis pars Jacob : qui enim formavit omnia ipse est, et Israël virga hæreditatis ejus : Dominus exercituum nomen illi.
- Congrega de terra confusionem tuam, quæ habitas in obsidione :
- quia hæc dicit Dominus : Ecce ego longe projiciam habitatores terræ in hac vice, et tribulabo eos ita ut inveniantur.
- Væ mihi super contritione mea, pessima plaga mea : ego autem dixi : Plane hæc infirmitas mea est, et portabo illam.
- Tabernaculum meum vastatum est, omnes funiculi mei dirupti sunt : filii mei exierunt a me, et non subsistunt. Non est qui extendat ultra tentorium meum, et erigat pelles meas.
- Quia stulte egerunt pastores, et Dominus non quæsierunt : propterea non intellexerunt, et omnis grex eorum dispersus est.
- Vox auditionis ecce venit, et commotio magna de terra aquilonis, ut ponat civitates Juda solitudinem, et habitaculum draconum.
- Scio, Domine, quia non est hominis via ejus, nec viri est ut ambulet, et dirigat gressus suos.
- Corripe me, Domine, verumtamen in judicio, et non in furore tuo, ne forte ad nihilum redigas me.
- Effunde indignationem tuam super gentes quæ non cognoverunt te, et super provincias quæ nomen tuum non invocaverunt, quia comederunt Jacob, et devoraverunt eum, et consumpserunt illum, et decus ejus dissipaverunt.
|Jeremiah 10 Text (KJV)
- Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
- Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
- For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
- They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
- They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
- Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
- Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.
- But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.
- Silver spread into plates is brought from Tarshish, and gold from Uphaz, the work of the workman, and of the hands of the founder: blue and purple is their clothing: they are all the work of cunning men.
- But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
- Thus shall ye say unto them, The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.
- He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion.
- When he uttereth his voice, there is a multitude of waters in the heavens, and he causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings with rain, and bringeth forth the wind out of his treasures.
- Every man is brutish in his knowledge: every founder is confounded by the graven image: for his molten image is falsehood, and there is no breath in them.
- They are vanity, and the work of errors: in the time of their visitation they shall perish.
- The portion of Jacob is not like them: for he is the former of all things; and Israel is the rod of his inheritance: The LORD of hosts is his name.
- Gather up thy wares out of the land, O inhabitant of the fortress.
- For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will sling out the inhabitants of the land at this once, and will distress them, that they may find it so.
- Woe is me for my hurt! my wound is grievous: but I said, Truly this is a grief, and I must bear it.
- My tabernacle is spoiled, and all my cords are broken: my children are gone forth of me, and they are not: there is none to stretch forth my tent any more, and to set up my curtains.
- For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered.
- Behold, the noise of the bruit is come, and a great commotion out of the north country, to make the cities of Judah desolate, and a den of dragons.
- O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
- O LORD, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.
- Pour out thy fury upon the heathen that know thee not, and upon the families that call not on thy name: for they have eaten up Jacob, and devoured him, and consumed him, and have made his habitation desolate.