|Luke 2 - Versions
|Luke 2 Text (WEB)
- Now it happened in those days, that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled.
- This was the first enrollment made when Quirinius was governor of Syria.
- All went to enroll themselves, everyone to his own city.
- Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David;
- to enroll himself with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him as wife, being pregnant.
- It happened, while they were there, that the day had come that she should give birth.
- She brought forth her firstborn son, and she wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a feeding trough, because there was no room for them in the inn.
- There were shepherds in the same country staying in the field, and keeping watch by night over their flock.
- Behold, an angel of the Lord stood by them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.
- The angel said to them, "Don't be afraid, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be to all the people.
- For there is born to you, this day, in the city of David, a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
- This is the sign to you: you will find a baby wrapped in strips of cloth, lying in a feeding trough."
- Suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly army praising God, and saying,
- "Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men."
- It happened, when the angels went away from them into the sky, that the shepherds said one to another, "Let's go to Bethlehem, now, and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us."
- They came with haste, and found both Mary and Joseph, and the baby was lying in the feeding trough.
- When they saw it, they publicized widely the saying which was spoken to them about this child.
- All who heard it wondered at the things which were spoken to them by the shepherds.
- But Mary kept all these sayings, pondering them in her heart.
- The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, just as it was told them.
- When eight days were fulfilled for the circumcision of the child, his name was called Jesus, which was given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
- When the days of their purification according to the law of Moses were fulfilled, they brought him up to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord
- (as it is written in the law of the Lord, "Every male who opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord"),
- and to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, "A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons."
- Behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon. This man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him.
- It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ.
- He came in the Spirit into the temple. When the parents brought in the child, Jesus, that they might do concerning him according to the custom of the law,
- then he received him into his arms, and blessed God, and said,
- "Now you are releasing your servant, Master, according to your word, in peace;
- for my eyes have seen your salvation,
- which you have prepared before the face of all peoples;
- a light for revelation to the nations, and the glory of your people Israel."
- Joseph and his mother were marveling at the things which were spoken concerning him,
- and Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary, his mother, "Behold, this child is set for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which is spoken against.
- Yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed."
- There was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher (she was of a great age, having lived with a husband seven years from her virginity,
- and she had been a widow for about eighty-four years), who didn't depart from the temple, worshipping with fastings and petitions night and day.
- Coming up at that very hour, she gave thanks to the Lord, and spoke of him to all those who were looking for redemption in Jerusalem.
- When they had accomplished all things that were according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city, Nazareth.
- The child was growing, and was becoming strong in spirit, being filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.
- His parents went every year to Jerusalem at the feast of the Passover.
- When he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast,
- and when they had fulfilled the days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. Joseph and his mother didn't know it,
- but supposing him to be in the company, they went a day's journey, and they looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances.
- When they didn't find him, they returned to Jerusalem, looking for him.
- It happened after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them, and asking them questions.
- All who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
- When they saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us this way? Behold, your father and I were anxiously looking for you."
- He said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's house?"
- They didn't understand the saying which he spoke to them.
- And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth. He was subject to them, and his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
- And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
|Luke 2 Text (Hebrew)
- ויהי בימים ההם ותצא דת מאת הקיסר אוגוסטוס לספר את כל ישבי תבל׃
- וזה המפקד היה הראשון בהיות קוריניוס שליט בסוריא׃
- וילכו כלם להתפקד איש לעירו׃
- ויעל גם יוסף מן הגליל מעיר נצרת אל יהודה לעיר דוד הנקראה בית לחם כי היה מבית דוד וממשפחתו׃
- להתפקד עם מרים המארשה לו והיא הרה׃
- ויהי בהיותם שם וימלאו ימיה ללדת׃
- ותלד את בנה הבכור ותחתלהו ותשכיבהו באבוס כי לא היה להם מקום במלון׃
- ורעים היו בארץ ההיא לנים בשדה ושמרים את משמרות הלילה בעדרם׃
- והנה מלאך יהוה נצב עליהם וכבוד יהוה הופיע עליהם מסביב וייראו יראה גדולה׃
- ויאמר אליהם המלאך אל תיראו כי הנני מבשר אתכם שמחה גדולה אשר תהיה לכל העם׃
- כי היום ילד לכם בעיר דוד מושיע אשר הוא המשיח האדון׃
- וזה לכם האות תמצאון ילד מחתל ומנח באבוס׃
- ויהי פתאם אצל המלאך המון צבא השמים והם משבחים את האלהים ואמרים׃
- כבוד במרומים לאלהים ובארץ שלום בבני אדם רצונו׃
- ויהי כאשר עלו מעליהם המלאכים השמימה ויאמרו הרעים איש אל רעהו נעברה נא עד בית לחם ונראה המעשה הזה אשר הודיענו יהוה׃
- וימהרו לבוא וימצאו את מרים ואת יוסף ואת הילד שכב באבוס׃
- ויראו וישמיעו את הדבר הנאמר אליהם על הגער הזה׃
- וכל השמעים תמהו על הדברים אשר דברו אליהם הרעים׃
- ומרים שמרה את הדברים האלה ותחשבם בלבה׃
- וישובו הרעים מהללים ומשבחים את האלהים על כל אשר שמעו וראו כפי אשר נאמר אליהם׃
- ויהי במלאת לנער שמנה ימים וימול ויקרא שמו ישוע כשם אשר קרא לו המלאך בטרם הרה בבטן׃
- וימלאו ימי טהרה לפי תורת משה ויעלהו לירושלים להעמידו לפני יהוה׃
- כאשר כתוב בתורת יהוה כל זכר פטר רחם יקרא קדש ליהוה׃
- ולתת קרבן כאמור בתורת יהוה שתי תרים או שני בני יונה׃
- והנה איש היה בירושלים ושמו שמעון והוא איש צדיק וחסיד מחכה לנחמת ישראל ורוח הקדש היה עליו׃
- ולו נגלה ברוח הקדש כי לא יראה מות עד ראותו את משיח יהוה׃
- ויבא ברוח אל המקדש ויהי כאשר הביאו הוריו את הנער ישוע לעשות עליו כמשפט התורה׃
- ויקחהו על זרעותיו ויברך את האלהים ויאמר׃
- עתה תפטר את עבדך כדברך אדני בשלום׃
- כי ראו עיני את ישועתך׃
- אשר הכינות לפני כל העמים׃
- אור לגלות עיני הגוים ותפארת ישראל עמך׃
- ויוסף ואמו תמהים על הדברים הנאמרים עליו׃
- ויברך אותם שמעון ויאמר אל מרים אמו הנה זה מוסד לנפילה ולתקומה לרבים בישראל ולאות מריבה׃
- וגם בנפשך תחתר חרב למען תגלינה מחשבות לבב רבים׃
- ותהי שם חנה אשה נביאה בת פנואל משבט אשר והיא באה בימים וחיתה עם בעלה שבע שנים אחרי בתוליה׃
- והיא אלמנה כארבע ושמנים שנה ולא משה מן המקדש ובצום ובתחנונים עבדה את האלהים לילה ויום׃
- ותקם בשעה ההיא ותגש להדות ליהוה ותדבר עליו באזני כל המחכים לגאלה בירושלים׃
- ויכלו את הכל כפי תורת יהוה וישובו הגלילה אל נצרת עירם׃
- ויגדל הנער ויחזק ברוח וימלא חכמה וחסד אלהים עמו׃
- ועלו הוריו ירושלים שנה בשנה לחג הפסח׃
- ויהי בהיותו בן שתים עשרה שנה ויעלו ירושלים כמשפט החג׃
- וימלאו את הימים וישובו ויותר ישוע הנער בירושלים ויוסף ואמו לא ידעו׃
- ויחשבו כי עם חבל הארחים הוא וילכו כדרך יום ויבקשהו בין הקרובים והמידעים׃
- ולא מצאהו וישבו ירושלים לבקשו׃
- ויהי אחרי שלשת ימים וימצאהו במקדש ישב בתוך המורים שמע אליהם ושאל אתם׃
- וכל השמעים אליו השתוממו על שכלו ועל תשובתיו׃
- ויהי כראותם אתו ויחרדו ותאמר אליו אמו בני מדוע ככה עשית לנו הנה אביך ואנכי בעצבת לב בקשנוך׃
- ויאמר אליהם למה זה בקשתם אתי הלא ידעתם כי עלי להיות באשר לאבי׃
- והם לא הבינו את הדבר אשר דבר אליהם׃
- וירד אתם ויבא אל נצרת ויכנע להם ואמו שמרה בלבה את כל הדברים האלה׃
- וישוע הלך וגדל בחכמה ומקומה ובחן עם אלהים ועם אנשים׃
|Luke 2 Text (Latin)
- Factum est autem in diebus illis, exiit edictum a Cæsare Augusto ut describeretur universus orbis.
- Hæc descriptio prima facta est a præside Syriæ Cyrino :
- et ibant omnes ut profiterentur singuli in suam civitatem.
- Ascendit autem et Joseph a Galilæa de civitate Nazareth in Judæam, in civitatem David, quæ vocatur Bethlehem : eo quod esset de domo et familia David,
- ut profiteretur cum Maria desponsata sibi uxore prægnante.
- Factum est autem, cum essent ibi, impleti sunt dies ut pareret.
- Et peperit filium suum primogenitum, et pannis eum involvit, et reclinavit eum in præsepio : quia non erat eis locus in diversorio.
- Et pastores erant in regione eadem vigilantes, et custodientes vigilias noctis super gregem suum.
- Et ecce angelus Domini stetit juxta illos, et claritas Dei circumfulsit illos, et timuerunt timore magno.
- Et dixit illis angelus : Nolite timere : ecce enim evangelizo vobis gaudium magnum, quod erit omni populo :
- quia natus est vobis hodie Salvator, qui est Christus Dominus, in civitate David.
- Et hoc vobis signum : invenietis infantem pannis involutum, et positum in præsepio.
- Et subito facta est cum angelo multitudo militiæ cælestis laudantium Deum, et dicentium :
- Gloria in altissimis Deo, et in terra pax hominibus bonæ voluntatis.
- Et factum est, ut discesserunt ab eis angeli in cælum : pastores loquebantur ad invicem : Transeamus usque Bethlehem, et videamus hoc verbum, quod factum est, quod Dominus ostendit nobis.
- Et venerunt festinantes : et invenerunt Mariam, et Joseph, et infantem positum in præsepio.
- Videntes autem cognoverunt de verbo, quod dictum erat illis de puero hoc.
- Et omnes qui audierunt, mirati sunt : et de his quæ dicta erant a pastoribus ad ipsos.
- Maria autem conservabat omnia verba hæc, conferens in corde suo.
- Et reversi sunt pastores glorificantes et laudantes Deum in omnibus quæ audierant et viderant, sicut dictum est ad illos.
- Et postquam consummati sunt dies octo, ut circumcideretur puer, vocatum est nomen ejus Jesus, quod vocatum est ab angelo priusquam in utero conciperetur.
- Et postquam impleti sunt dies purgationis ejus secundum legem Moysi, tulerunt illum in Jerusalem, ut sisterent eum Domino,
- sicut scriptum est in lege Domini : Quia omne masculinum adaperiens vulvam, sanctum Domino vocabitur :
- et ut darent hostiam secundum quod dictum est in lege Domini, par turturum, aut duos pullos columbarum.
- Et ecce homo erat in Jerusalem, cui nomen Simeon, et homo iste justus, et timoratus, exspectans consolationem Israël : et Spiritus Sanctus erat in eo.
- Et responsum acceperat a Spiritu Sancto, non visurum se mortem, nisi prius videret Christum Domini.
- Et venit in spiritu in templum. Et cum inducerent puerum Jesum parentes ejus, ut facerent secundum consuetudinem legis pro eo,
- et ipse accepit eum in ulnas suas : et benedixit Deum, et dixit :
- Nunc dimittis servum tuum Domine, secundum verbum tuum in pace :
- quia viderunt oculi mei salutare tuum,
- quod parasti ante faciem omnium populorum :
- lumen ad revelationem gentium, et gloriam plebis tuæ Israël.
- Et erat pater ejus et mater mirantes super his quæ dicebantur de illo.
- Et benedixit illis Simeon, et dixit ad Mariam matrem ejus : Ecce positus est hic in ruinam, et in resurrectionem multorum in Israël, et in signum cui contradicetur :
- et tuam ipsius animam pertransibit gladius ut revelentur ex multis cordibus cogitationes.
- Et erat Anna prophetissa, filia Phanuel, de tribu Aser : hæc processerat in diebus multis, et vixerat cum viro suo annis septem a virginitate sua.
- Et hæc vidua usque ad annos octoginta quatuor : quæ non discedebat de templo, jejuniis, et obsecrationibus serviens nocte ac die.
- Et hæc, ipsa hora superveniens, confitebatur Domino : et loquebatur de illo omnibus, qui exspectabant redemptionem Israël.
- Et ut perfecerunt omnia secundum legem Domini, reversi sunt in Galilæam in civitatem suam Nazareth.
- Puer autem crescebat, et confortabatur plenus sapientia : et gratia Dei erat in illo.
- Et ibant parentes ejus per omnes annos in Jerusalem, in die solemni Paschæ.
- Et cum factus esset annorum duodecim, ascendentibus illis Jerosolymam secundum consuetudinem diei festi,
- consummatisque diebus, cum redirent, remansit puer Jesus in Jerusalem, et non cognoverunt parentes ejus.
- Existimantes autem illum esse in comitatu, venerunt iter diei, et requirebant eum inter cognatos et notos.
- Et non invenientes, regressi sunt in Jerusalem, requirentes eum.
- Et factum est, post triduum invenerunt illum in templo sedentem in medio doctorum, audientem illos, et interrogantem eos.
- Stupebant autem omnes qui eum audiebant, super prudentia et responsis ejus.
- Et videntes admirati sunt. Et dixit mater ejus ad illum : Fili, quid fecisti nobis sic ? ecce pater tuus et ego dolentes quærebamus te.
- Et ait ad illos : Quid est quod me quærebatis ? nesciebatis quia in his quæ Patris mei sunt, oportet me esse ?
- Et ipsi non intellexerunt verbum quod locutus est ad eos.
- Et descendit cum eis, et venit Nazareth : et erat subditus illis. Et mater ejus conservabat omnia verba hæc in corde suo.
- Et Jesus proficiebat sapientia, et ætate, et gratia apud Deum et homines.
|Luke 2 Text (KJV)
- And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
- (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
- And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
- And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
- To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
- And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
- And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
- And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
- And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
- And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
- For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
- And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
- And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
- Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
- And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
- And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.
- And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.
- And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.
- But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
- And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
- And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
- And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
- (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;)
- And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
- And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
- And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.
- And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,
- Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,
- Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
- For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
- Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
- A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
- And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
- And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against;
- (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.
- And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;
- And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
- And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.
- And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.
- And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
- Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
- And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
- And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
- But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.
- And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
- And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
- And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
- And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
- And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
- And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
- And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
- And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.