|Genesis 30 - Versions
|Genesis 30 Text (WEB)
- When Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister. She said to Jacob, "Give me children, or else I will die."
- Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel, and he said, "Am I in God's place, who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?"
- She said, "Behold, my maid Bilhah. Go in to her, that she may bear on my knees, and I also may obtain children by her."
- She gave him Bilhah her handmaid as wife, and Jacob went in to her.
- Bilhah conceived, and bore Jacob a son.
- Rachel said, "God has judged me, and has also heard my voice, and has given me a son." Therefore called she his name Dan.
- Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid, conceived again, and bore Jacob a second son.
- Rachel said, "With mighty wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and have prevailed." She named him Naphtali.
- When Leah saw that she had finished bearing, she took Zilpah, her handmaid, and gave her to Jacob as a wife.
- Zilpah, Leah's handmaid, bore Jacob a son.
- Leah said, "How fortunate!" She named him Gad.
- Zilpah, Leah's handmaid, bore Jacob a second son.
- Leah said, "Happy am I, for the daughters will call me happy." She named him Asher.
- Reuben went in the days of wheat harvest, and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them to his mother, Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, "Please give me some of your son's mandrakes."
- She said to her, "Is it a small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would you take away my son's mandrakes, also?" Rachel said, "Therefore he will lie with you tonight for your son's mandrakes."
- Jacob came from the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him, and said, "You must come in to me; for I have surely hired you with my son's mandrakes." He lay with her that night.
- God listened to Leah, and she conceived, and bore Jacob a fifth son.
- Leah said, "God has given me my hire, because I gave my handmaid to my husband." She named him Issachar.
- Leah conceived again, and bore a sixth son to Jacob.
- Leah said, "God has endowed me with a good dowry. Now my husband will live with me, because I have borne him six sons." She named him Zebulun.
- Afterwards, she bore a daughter, and named her Dinah.
- God remembered Rachel, and God listened to her, and opened her womb.
- She conceived, bore a son, and said, "God has taken away my reproach."
- She named him Joseph, saying, "May Yahweh add another son to me."
- It happened, when Rachel had borne Joseph, that Jacob said to Laban, "Send me away, that I may go to my own place, and to my country.
- Give me my wives and my children for whom I have served you, and let me go; for you know my service with which I have served you."
- Laban said to him, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, stay here, for I have divined that Yahweh has blessed me for your sake."
- He said, "Appoint me your wages, and I will give it."
- He said to him, "You know how I have served you, and how your livestock have fared with me.
- For it was little which you had before I came, and it has increased to a multitude. Yahweh has blessed you wherever I turned. Now when will I provide for my own house also?"
- He said, "What shall I give you?" Jacob said, "You shall not give me anything. If you will do this thing for me, I will again feed your flock and keep it.
- I will pass through all your flock today, removing from there every speckled and spotted one, and every black one among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats. This will be my hire.
- So my righteousness will answer for me hereafter, when you come concerning my hire that is before you. Every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and black among the sheep, that might be with me, will be counted stolen."
- Laban said, "Behold, let it be according to your word."
- That day, he removed the male goats that were streaked and spotted, and all the female goats that were speckled and spotted, every one that had white in it, and all the black ones among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
- He set three days' journey between himself and Jacob, and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.
- Jacob took to himself rods of fresh poplar, almond, plane tree, peeled white streaks in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.
- He set the rods which he had peeled opposite the flocks in the gutters in the watering-troughs where the flocks came to drink. They conceived when they came to drink.
- The flocks conceived before the rods, and the flocks brought forth streaked, speckled, and spotted.
- Jacob separated the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the streaked and all the black in the flock of Laban: and he put his own droves apart, and didn't put them into Laban's flock.
- It happened, whenever the stronger of the flock conceived, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the flock in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods;
- but when the flock were feeble, he didn't put them in. So the feebler were Laban's, and the stronger Jacob's.
- The man increased exceedingly, and had large flocks, female servants and male servants, and camels and donkeys.
|Genesis 30 Text (Hebrew)
- ותרא רחל כי לא ילדה ליעקב ותקנא רחל באחתה ותאמר אל־יעקב הבה־לי בנים ואם־אין מתה אנכי׃
- ויחר־אף יעקב ברחל ויאמר התחת אלהים אנכי אשר־מנע ממך פרי־בטן׃
- ותאמר הנה אמתי בלהה בא אליה ותלד על־ברכי ואבנה גם־אנכי ממנה׃
- ותתן־לו את־בלהה שפחתה לאשה ויבא אליה יעקב׃
- ותהר בלהה ותלד ליעקב בן׃
- ותאמר רחל דנני אלהים וגם שמע בקלי ויתן־לי בן על־כן קראה שמו דן׃
- ותהר עוד ותלד בלהה שפחת רחל בן שני ליעקב׃
- ותאמר רחל נפתולי אלהים נפתלתי עם־אחתי גם־יכלתי ותקרא שמו נפתלי׃
- ותרא לאה כי עמדה מלדת ותקח את־זלפה שפחתה ותתן אתה ליעקב לאשה׃
- ותלד זלפה שפחת לאה ליעקב בן׃
- ותאמר לאה ותקרא את־שמו גד׃
- ותלד זלפה שפחת לאה בן שני ליעקב׃
- ותאמר לאה באשרי כי אשרוני בנות ותקרא את־שמו אשר׃
- וילך ראובן בימי קציר־חטים וימצא דודאים בשדה ויבא אתם אל־לאה אמו ותאמר רחל אל־לאה תני־נא לי מדודאי בנך׃
- ותאמר לה המעט קחתך את־אישי ולקחת גם את־דודאי בני ותאמר רחל לכן ישכב עמך הלילה תחת דודאי בנך׃
- ויבא יעקב מן־השדה בערב ותצא לאה לקראתו ותאמר אלי תבוא כי שכר שכרתיך בדודאי בני וישכב עמה בלילה הוא׃
- וישמע אלהים אל־לאה ותהר ותלד ליעקב בן חמישי׃
- ותאמר לאה נתן אלהים שכרי אשר־נתתי שפחתי לאישי ותקרא שמו יששכר׃
- ותהר עוד לאה ותלד בן־ששי ליעקב׃
- ותאמר לאה זבדני אלהים אתי זבד טוב הפעם יזבלני אישי כי־ילדתי לו ששה בנים ותקרא את־שמו זבלון׃
- ואחר ילדה בת ותקרא את־שמה דינה׃
- ויזכר אלהים את־רחל וישמע אליה אלהים ויפתח את־רחמה׃
- ותהר ותלד בן ותאמר אסף אלהים את־חרפתי׃
- ותקרא את־שמו יוסף לאמר יסף יהוה לי בן אחר׃
- ויהי כאשר ילדה רחל את־יוסף ויאמר יעקב אל־לבן שלחני ואלכה אל־מקומי ולארצי׃
- תנה את־נשי ואת־ילדי אשר עבדתי אתך בהן ואלכה כי אתה ידעת את־עבדתי אשר עבדתיך׃
- ויאמר אליו לבן אם־נא מצאתי חן בעיניך נחשתי ויברכני יהוה בגללך׃
- ויאמר נקבה שכרך עלי ואתנה׃
- ויאמר אליו אתה ידעת את אשר עבדתיך ואת אשר־היה מקנך אתי׃
- כי מעט אשר־היה לך לפני ויפרץ לרב ויברך יהוה אתך לרגלי ועתה מתי אעשה גם־אנכי לביתי׃
- ויאמר מה אתן־לך ויאמר יעקב לא־תתן־לי מאומה אם־תעשה־לי הדבר הזה אשובה ארעה צאנך אשמר׃
- אעבר בכל־צאנך היום הסר משם כל־שה נקד וטלוא וכל־שה־חום בכשבים וטלוא ונקד בעזים והיה שכרי׃
- וענתה־בי צדקתי ביום מחר כי־תבוא על־שכרי לפניך כל אשר־איננו נקד וטלוא בעזים וחום בכשבים גנוב הוא אתי׃
- ויאמר לבן הן לו יהי כדברך׃
- ויסר ביום ההוא את־התישים העקדים והטלאים ואת כל־העזים הנקדות והטלאת כל אשר־לבן בו וכל־חום בכשבים ויתן ביד־בניו׃
- וישם דרך שלשת ימים בינו ובין יעקב ויעקב רעה את־צאן לבן הנותרת׃
- ויקח־לו יעקב מקל לבנה לח ולוז וערמון ויפצל בהן פצלות לבנות מחשף הלבן אשר על־המקלות׃
- ויצג את־המקלות אשר פצל ברהטים בשקתות המים אשר תבאן הצאן לשתות לנכח הצאן ויחמנה בבאן לשתות׃
- ויחמו הצאן אל־המקלות ותלדן הצאן עקדים נקדים וטלאים׃
- והכשבים הפריד יעקב ויתן פני הצאן אל־עקד וכל־חום בצאן לבן וישת־לו עדרים לבדו ולא שתם על־צאן לבן׃
- והיה בכל־יחם הצאן המקשרות ושם יעקב את־המקלות לעיני הצאן ברהטים ליחמנה במקלות׃
- ובהעטיף הצאן לא ישים והיה העטפים ללבן והקשרים ליעקב׃
- ויפרץ האיש מאד מאד ויהי־לו צאן רבות ושפחות ועבדים וגמלים וחמרים׃
|Genesis 30 Text (Latin)
- Cernens autem Rachel quod infecunda esset, invidit sorori suæ, et ait marito suo : Da mihi liberos, alioquin moriar.
- Cui iratus respondit Jacob : Num pro Deo ego sum, qui privavit te fructu ventris tui ?
- At illa : Habeo, inquit, famulam Balam : ingredere ad illam, ut pariat super genua mea, et habeam ex illa filios.
- Deditque illi Balam in conjugium : quæ,
- ingresso ad se viro, concepit, et peperit filium.
- Dixitque Rachel : Judicavit mihi Dominus, et exaudivit vocem meam, dans mihi filium, et idcirco appellavit nomen ejus Dan.
- Rursumque Bala concipiens, peperit alterum,
- pro quo ait Rachel : Comparavit me Deus cum sorore mea, et invalui : vocavitque eum Nephthali.
- Sentiens Lia quod parere desiisset, Zelpham ancillam suam marito tradidit.
- Qua post conceptum edente filium,
- dixit : Feliciter, et idcirco vocavit nomen ejus Gad.
- Peperit quoque Zelpha alterum.
- Dixitque Lia : Hoc pro beatitudine mea : beatam quippe me dicent mulieres : propterea appellavit eum Aser.
- Egressus autem Ruben tempore messis triticeæ in agrum, reperit mandragoras, quas matri Liæ detulit. Dixitque Rachel : Da mihi partem de mandragoris filii tui.
- Illa respondit : Parumne tibi videtur quod præripueris maritum mihi, nisi etiam mandragoras filii mei tuleris ? Ait Rachel : Dormiat tecum hac nocte pro mandragoris filii tui.
- Redeuntique ad vesperam Jacob de agro, egressa est in occursum ejus Lia, et Ad me, inquit, intrabis : quia mercede conduxi te pro mandragoris filii mei. Dormivitque cum ea nocte illa.
- Et exaudivit Deus preces ejus, concepitque et peperit filium quintum,
- et ait : Dedit Deus mercedem mihi, quia dedi ancillam meam viro meo : appellavitque nomen ejus Issachar.
- Rursum Lia concipiens, peperit sextum filium,
- et ait : Dotavit me Deus dote bona : etiam hac vice mecum erit maritus meus, eo quod genuerim ei sex filios : et idcirco appellavit nomen ejus Zabulon.
- Post quem peperit filiam, nomine Dinam.
- Recordatus quoque Dominus Rachelis, exaudivit eam, et aperuit vulvam ejus.
- Quæ concepit, et peperit filium, dicens : Abstulit Deus opprobrium meum.
- Et vocavit nomen ejus Joseph, dicens : Addat mihi Dominus filium alterum.
- Nato autem Joseph, dixit Jacob socero suo : Dimitte me ut revertar in patriam, et ad terram meam.
- Da mihi uxores, et liberos meos, pro quibus servivi tibi, ut abeam : tu nosti servitutem qua servivi tibi.
- Ait illi Laban : Inveniam gratiam in conspectu tuo, experimento didici, quia benedixerit mihi Deus propter te :
- constitue mercedem tuam quam dem tibi.
- At ille respondit : Tu nosti quomodo servierim tibi, et quanta in manibus meis fuerit possessio tua.
- Modicum habuisti antequam venirem ad te, et nunc dives effectus es : benedixitque tibi Dominus ad introitum meum. Justum est igitur ut aliquando provideam etiam domui meæ.
- Dixitque Laban : Quid tibi dabo ? At ille ait : Nihil volo : sed si feceris quod postulo, iterum pascam, et custodiam pecora tua.
- Gyra omnes greges tuos, et separa cunctas oves varias, et sparso vellere ; quodcumque furvum, et maculosum, variumque fuerit, tam in ovibus quam in capris, erit merces mea.
- Respondebitque mihi cras justitia mea, quando placiti tempus advenerit coram te : et omnia quæ non fuerint varia, et maculosa, et furva, tam in ovibus quam in capris, furti me arguent.
- Dixitque Laban : Cratum habeo quod petis.
- Et separavit in die illa capras, et oves, et hircos, et arietes varios, atque maculosos : cunctum autem gregem unicolorem, id est albi et nigri velleris, tradidit in manu filiorum suorum.
- Et posuit spatium itineris trium dierum inter se et generum, qui pascebat reliquos greges ejus.
- Tollens ergo Jacob virgas populeas virides, et amygdalinas, et ex platanis, ex parte decorticavit eas : detractisque corticibus, in his, quæ spoliata fuerant, candor apparuit : illa vero quæ integra fuerant, viridia permanserunt : atque in hunc modum color effectus est varius.
- Posuitque eas in canalibus, ubi effundebatur aqua : ut cum venissent greges ad bibendum, ante oculos haberent virgas, et in aspectu earum conciperent.
- Factumque est ut in ipso calore coitus, oves intuerentur virgas, et parerent maculosa, et varia, et diverso colore respersa.
- Divisitque gregem Jacob, et posuit virgas in canalibus ante oculos arietum : erant autem alba et nigra quæque, Laban ; cetera vero, Jacob, separatis inter se gregibus.
- Igitur quando primo tempore ascendebantur oves, ponebat Jacob virgas in canalibus aquarum ante oculos arietum et ovium, ut in earum contemplatione conciperent :
- quando vero serotina admissura erat, et conceptus extremus, non ponebat eas. Factaque sunt ea quæ erant serotina, Laban : et quæ primi temporis, Jacob.
- Ditatusque est homo ultra modum, et habuit greges multos, ancillas et servos, camelos et asinos.
|Genesis 30 Text (KJV)
- And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.
- And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?
- And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear upon my knees that I may also have children by her.
- And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.
- And Bilhah conceived, and bare Jacob a son.
- And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and hath also heard my voice, and hath given me a son: therefore called she his name Dan.
- And Bilhah Rachel's maid conceived again, and bare Jacob a second son.
- And Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali.
- When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her maid, and gave her Jacob to wife.
- And Zilpah Leah's maid bare Jacob a son.
- And Leah said, A troop cometh: and she called his name Gad.
- And Zilpah Leah's maid bare Jacob a second son.
- And Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed: and she called his name Asher.
- And Reuben went in the days of wheat harvest, and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them unto his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, Give me, I pray thee, of thy son's mandrakes.
- And she said unto her, Is it a small matter that thou hast taken my husband? and wouldest thou take away my son's mandrakes also? And Rachel said, Therefore he shall lie with thee to night for thy son's mandrakes.
- And Jacob came out of the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; for surely I have hired thee with my son's mandrakes. And he lay with her that night.
- And God hearkened unto Leah, and she conceived, and bare Jacob the fifth son.
- And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar.
- And Leah conceived again, and bare Jacob the sixth son.
- And Leah said, God hath endued me with a good dowry; now will my husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she called his name Zebulun.
- And afterwards she bare a daughter, and called her name Dinah.
- And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
- And she conceived, and bare a son; and said, God hath taken away my reproach:
- And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son.
- And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph, that Jacob said unto Laban, Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country.
- Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee.
- And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake.
- And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it.
- And he said unto him, Thou knowest how I have served thee, and how thy cattle was with me.
- For it was little which thou hadst before I came, and it is now increased unto a multitude; and the LORD hath blessed thee since my coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also?
- And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep thy flock:
- I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire.
- So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.
- And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
- And he removed that day the he goats that were ringstraked and spotted, and all the she goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
- And he set three days' journey betwixt himself and Jacob: and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.
- And Jacob took him rods of green poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut tree; and pilled white strakes in them, and made the white appear which was in the rods.
- And he set the rods which he had pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink, that they should conceive when they came to drink.
- And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.
- And Jacob did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not unto Laban's cattle.
- And it came to pass, whensoever the stronger cattle did conceive, that Jacob laid the rods before the eyes of the cattle in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.
- But when the cattle were feeble, he put them not in: so the feebler were Laban's, and the stronger Jacob's.
- And the man increased exceedingly, and had much cattle, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses.