|Isaiah 42 - Versions
|Isaiah 42 Text (WEB)
- "Behold, my servant, whom I uphold; my chosen, in whom my soul delights-- I have put my Spirit on him. He will bring justice to the nations.
- He will not shout, nor raise his voice, nor cause it to be heard in the street.
- He won't break a bruised reed. He won't quench a dimly burning wick. He will faithfully bring justice.
- He will not fail nor be discouraged, until he has set justice in the earth, and the islands will wait for his law."
- Thus says God Yahweh, he who created the heavens and stretched them out, he who spread out the earth and that which comes out of it, he who gives breath to its people and spirit to those who walk in it.
- "I, Yahweh, have called you in righteousness, and will hold your hand, and will keep you, and make you a covenant for the people, as a light for the nations;
- to open the blind eyes, to bring the prisoners out of the dungeon, and those who sit in darkness out of the prison.
- "I am Yahweh. That is my name. I will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to engraved images.
- Behold, the former things have happened, and I declare new things. I tell you about them before they come up."
- Sing to Yahweh a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that is therein, the islands and their inhabitants.
- Let the wilderness and its cities raise their voices, with the villages that Kedar inhabits. Let the inhabitants of Sela sing. Let them shout from the top of the mountains!
- Let them give glory to Yahweh, and declare his praise in the islands.
- Yahweh will go out like a mighty man. He will stir up zeal like a man of war. He will raise a war cry. Yes, he will shout aloud. He will triumph over his enemies.
- "I have been silent a long time. I have been quiet and restrained myself. Now I will cry out like a travailing woman. I will both gasp and pant.
- I will destroy mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs. I will make the rivers islands, and will dry up the pools.
- I will bring the blind by a way that they don't know. I will lead them in paths that they don't know. I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. I will do these things, and I will not forsake them.
- "Those who trust in engraved images, who tell molten images, 'You are our gods' will be turned back. They will be utterly disappointed.
- "Hear, you deaf, and look, you blind, that you may see.
- Who is blind, but my servant? Or who is as deaf as my messenger whom I send? Who is as blind as he who is at peace, and as blind as Yahweh's servant?
- You see many things, but don't observe. His ears are open, but he doesn't listen.
- It pleased Yahweh, for his righteousness' sake, to magnify the law, and make it honorable.
- But this is a robbed and plundered people. All of them are snared in holes, and they are hidden in prisons. They have become a prey, and no one delivers; and a spoil, and no one says, 'Restore them!'
- Who is there among you who will give ear to this? Who will listen and hear for the time to come?
- Who gave Jacob as plunder, and Israel to the robbers? Didn't Yahweh, he against whom we have sinned? For they would not walk in his ways, and they disobeyed his law.
- Therefore he poured the fierceness of his anger on him, and the strength of battle; and it set him on fire all around, but he didn't know; and it burned him, but he didn't take it to heart."
|Isaiah 42 Text (Hebrew)
- הן עבדי אתמך־בו בחירי רצתה נפשי נתתי רוחי עליו משפט לגוים יוציא׃
- לא יצעק ולא ישא ולא־ישמיע בחוץ קולו׃
- קנה רצוץ לא ישבור ופשתה כהה לא יכבנה לאמת יוציא משפט׃
- לא יכהה ולא ירוץ עד־ישים בארץ משפט ולתורתו איים ייחילו׃ ף
- כה־אמר האל יהוה בורא השמים ונוטיהם רקע הארץ וצאצאיה נתן נשמה לעם עליה ורוח להלכים בה׃
- אני יהוה קראתיך בצדק ואחזק בידך ואצרך ואתנך לברית עם לאור גוים׃
- לפקח עינים עורות להוציא ממסגר אסיר מבית כלא ישבי חשך׃
- אני יהוה הוא שמי וכבודי לאחר לא־אתן ותהלתי לפסילים׃
- הראשנות הנה־באו וחדשות אני מגיד בטרם תצמחנה אשמיע אתכם׃ ף
- שירו ליהוה שיר חדש תהלתו מקצה הארץ יורדי הים ומלאו איים וישביהם׃
- ישאו מדבר ועריו חצרים תשב קדר ירנו ישבי סלע מראש הרים יצוחו׃
- ישימו ליהוה כבוד ותהלתו באיים יגידו׃
- יהוה כגבור יצא כאיש מלחמות יעיר קנאה יריע אף־יצריח על־איביו יתגבר׃ ס
- החשיתי מעולם אחריש אתאפק כיולדה אפעה אשם ואשאף יחד׃
- אחריב הרים וגבעות וכל־עשבם אוביש ושמתי נהרות לאיים ואגמים אוביש׃
- והולכתי עורים בדרך לא ידעו בנתיבות לא־ידעו אדריכם אשים מחשך לפניהם לאור ומעקשים למישור אלה הדברים עשיתם ולא עזבתים׃
- נסגו אחור יבשו בשת הבטחים בפסל האמרים למסכה אתם אלהינו׃ ס
- החרשים שמעו והעורים הביטו לראות׃
- מי עור כי אם־עבדי וחרש כמלאכי אשלח מי עור כמשלם ועור כעבד יהוה׃
- רבות ולא תשמר פקוח אזנים ולא ישמע׃
- יהוה חפץ למען צדקו יגדיל תורה ויאדיר׃
- והוא עם־בזוז ושסוי הפח בחורים כלם ובבתי כלאים החבאו היו לבז ואין מציל משסה ואין־אמר השב׃
- מי בכם יאזין זאת יקשב וישמע לאחור׃
- מי־נתן יעקב וישראל לבזזים הלוא יהוה זו חטאנו לו ולא־אבו בדרכיו הלוך ולא שמעו בתורתו׃
- וישפך עליו חמה אפו ועזוז מלחמה ותלהטהו מסביב ולא ידע ותבער־בו ולא־ישים על־לב׃ ף
|Isaiah 42 Text (Latin)
- Ecce servus meus, suscipiam eum ; electus meus, complacuit sibi in illo anima mea : dedi spiritum meum super eum, judicium gentibus proferet.
- Non clamabit, neque accipiet personam ; nec audietur vox ejus foris.
- Calamum quassatum non conteret, et linum fumigans non extinguet ; in veritate educet judicium.
- Non erit tristis, neque turbulentus, donec ponat in terra judicium ; et legem ejus insulæ exspectabunt.
- Hæc dicit Dominus Deus, creans cælos, et extendens eos ; formans terram, et quæ germinant ex ea, dans flatum populo qui est super eam, et spiritum calcantibus eam.
- Ego Dominus vocavi te in justitia, et apprehendi manum tuam, et servavi te ; et dedi te in fœdus populi, in lucem gentium,
- ut aperires oculos cæcorum, et educeres de conclusione vinctum, de domo carceris sedentes in tenebris.
- Ego Dominus, hoc est nomen meum ; gloriam meam alteri non dabo, et laudem meam sculptilibus.
- Quæ prima fuerunt, ecce venerunt ; nova quoque ego annuntio : antequam oriantur, audita vobis faciam.
- Cantate Domino canticum novum, laus ejus ab extremis terræ, qui descenditis in mare, et plenitudo ejus ; insulæ, et habitatores earum.
- Sublevetur desertum et civitates ejus. In domibus habitabit Cedar : laudate, habitatores petræ, de vertice montium clamabunt.
- Ponent Domino gloriam, et laudem ejus in insulis nuntiabunt.
- Dominus sicut fortis egredietur, sicut vir præliator suscitabit zelum ; vociferabitur, et clamabit : super inimicos suos confortabitur.
- Tacui semper, silui, patiens fui ; sicut parturiens loquar ; dissipabo, et absorbebo simul.
- Desertos faciam montes et colles, et omne gramen eorum exsiccabo ; et ponam flumina in insulas, et stagna arefaciam.
- Et ducam cæcos in viam quam nesciunt, et in semitis quas ignoraverunt ambulare eos faciam ; ponam tenebras coram eis in lucem, et prava in recta ; hæc verba feci eis, et non dereliqui eos.
- Conversi sunt retrorsum, confundantur confusione qui confidunt in sculptili, qui dicunt conflatili : Vos dii nostri.
- Surdi, audite ; et cæci, intuemini ad videndum.
- Quis cæcos, nisi servus meus ; et surdus, nisi ad quem nuntios meos misi ? Quis cæcus, nisi qui venundatus est ? et quis cæcus, nisi servus Domini ?
- Qui vides multa, nonne custodies ? qui apertas habes aures, nonne audies ?
- Et Dominus voluit ut sanctificaret eum, et magnificaret legem, et extolleret.
- Ipse autem populus direptus, et vastatus ; laqueus juvenum omnes, et in domibus carcerum absconditi sunt ; facti sunt in rapinam, nec est qui eruat ; in direptionem, nec est qui dicat : Redde.
- Quis est in vobis qui audiat hoc, attendat, et auscultet futura ?
- Quis dedit in direptionem Jacob, et Israël vastantibus? Nonne Dominus ipse, cui peccavimus ? Et noluerunt in viis ejus ambulare, et non audierunt legem ejus.
- Et effudit super eum indignationem furoris sui, et forte bellum ; et combussit eum in circuitu, et non cognovit ; et succendit eum, et non intellexit.
|Isaiah 42 Text (KJV)
- Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
- He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
- A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
- He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
- Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
- I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
- To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
- I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
- Behold, the former things are come to pass, and new things do I declare: before they spring forth I tell you of them.
- Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise from the end of the earth, ye that go down to the sea, and all that is therein; the isles, and the inhabitants thereof.
- Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up their voice, the villages that Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.
- Let them give glory unto the LORD, and declare his praise in the islands.
- The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.
- I have long time holden my peace; I have been still, and refrained myself: now will I cry like a travailing woman; I will destroy and devour at once.
- I will make waste mountains and hills, and dry up all their herbs; and I will make the rivers islands, and I will dry up the pools.
- And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
- They shall be turned back, they shall be greatly ashamed, that trust in graven images, that say to the molten images, Ye are our gods.
- Hear, ye deaf; and look, ye blind, that ye may see.
- Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant?
- Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.
- The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.
- But this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore.
- Who among you will give ear to this? who will hearken and hear for the time to come?
- Who gave Jacob for a spoil, and Israel to the robbers? did not the LORD, he against whom we have sinned? for they would not walk in his ways, neither were they obedient unto his law.
- Therefore he hath poured upon him the fury of his anger, and the strength of battle: and it hath set him on fire round about, yet he knew not; and it burned him, yet he laid it not to heart.