Book of Revelation
|SERMONS, ESSAYS AND OPINIONS||
There are wide variety of views and interpretations of Revelation.
The following 4 main approaches are generally used (and combinations thereof)
- Symbolic Idealism
- Futurist - The visions relate entirely to the future
- Historicist - The visions show a progressive forecast in history, including past events, current events and future events
- Preterist (Contemporary History) - The visions relate entirely to events that were occurring 1,900 years ago when text was written
One of the major themes of Revelation is the "End Times", with mention of the "Millenium" in a number of places. There are a wide variety of views including (partly related to the above main approaches to interpreting the book)
- Premillennialism - Jesus returns prior to the Millenium (usually a futurist view)
- Postmillennialism - Jesus returns following the Millenium (usually a historicist view)
- Amillennialism - The Millenium is the symbol of this current age (usually a symbolic, historicist approach)
- "Panmillennialism" - The view that says: "It will all pan out in the end, even if we don't know how"